The Euro Draft - QF - The Red Viper vs The Stain

Judged on the Euro performances, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Doesn't bode well against my wingers, though. Open's up a lot of space especially with your high defensive line. Amancio is only second to Figo (right wing) in this draft and Czibor not far behind Dzajic. My wingers will press your wingbacks (when they have possession) and will have Zambrotta/Thuram (or Zago when Thuram needs to help the central defenders) behind covering.
There would still be three great defenders behind Alba and Srna, whom Czibor and Amancio have to beat. And, the reason I am playing high backline is because I want to restrict Zizou' biggest influence which was his passing. And, since both Cannavaro and Shestrenyov were very quick, I think it can be done. Someone mentioned about Henry turning Cannavaro inside out. But, you don't have anyone close to Henry's pace or penetration upfront to do that.

Annahnomoss

There would still be three great defenders behind Alba and Srna, whom Czibor and Amancio have to beat. And, the reason I am playing high backline is because I want to restrict Zizou' biggest influence which was his passing. And, since both Cannavaro and Shestrenyov were very quick, I think it can be done. Someone mentioned about Henry turning Cannavaro inside out. But, you don't have anyone close to Henry's pace or penetration upfront to do that.
Will reconsider it with that in mind. Didn't know you were playing a "high defensive line" too, "higher defensive line" didn't really mean anything definite. Are you going to press high as well?

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
They are excellant, but all play through the middle where he has 2 excellent midfielders waiting. It would run into traffic imo. You are much better off having 2 wingers than those wing backs. I like them, but I think they'll end up being your most direct way to goal.
I would have agreed with Davids and Zagorakis dealing with Rui Costa, if I had two holding midfielders like a Deschamps or Makelele or someone of that ilk playing behind Rui Costa. But, with Vieira making his trademark runs from the midfield and Sammer, they can't deal with all.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Will reconsider it with that in mind. Didn't know you were playing a "high defensive line" too, "higher defensive line" didn't really mean anything definite. Are you going to press high as well?
Yes, I would.

I mean, whats the point of just playing a high backline if I don't restrict the time and space for his players to make the right passes? :p

As I mentioned earlier, one of the things we would emphasize on is the service to Zizou. I didn't elaborate it properly but when we don't have the possession, Vieira would stay close to Zizou and not let him dictate the tempo but Bozsik's role is more vital in the sense, we would look to ensure Zizou doesn't get the possession where in the final third where he usually prefers and make him drop deeper. With Rui Costa pressing his midfielders and Bozsik, looking to cut the service to Zizou, we would frustrate him and make sure he drops deeper. Now, he would still be good because he is Zidane. But, his impact won't be the same.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Then there's the issue with Shesternyov, as a libero he will want to do the same as Sammer, join in attack. There will be a lot of room for Amancio, don't really see how this works in your favor, especially when i have a more defensive Thuram and Zagorakis behind. Saying a Shearer in his prime wasn't fast is just wrong. Not only was he fast, he was very strong and has more than plenty in his arsenal to deal with Cannavaro for example (your other defenders will be high up the pitch).

The Stain

Yes, I would.

I mean, whats the point of just playing a high backline if I don't restrict the time and space for his players to make the right passes? :p

As I mentioned earlier, one of the things we would emphasize on is the service to Zizou. I didn't elaborate it properly but when we don't have the possession, Vieira would stay close to Zizou and not let him dictate the tempo but Bozsik's role is more vital in the sense, we would look to ensure Zizou doesn't get the possession where in the final third where he usually prefers and make him drop deeper. With Rui Costa pressing his midfielders and Bozsik, looking to cut the service to Zizou, we would frustrate him and make sure he drops deeper. Now, he would still be good because he is Zidane. But, his impact won't be the same.
Glads me to hear. Zidane was better than anyone creating room for himself and his teams. Anyway, whilst you focus on him we are attacking down the wings which i've said many times, including in my write-up.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Then there's the issue with Shesternyov, as a libero he will want to do the same as Sammer, join in attack. There will be a lot of room for Amancio, don't really see how this works in your favor, especially when i have a more defensive Thuram and Zagorakis behind. Saying a Shearer in his prime wasn't fast is just wrong. Not only was he fast, he was very strong and has more than plenty in his arsenal to deal with Cannavaro for example (your other defenders will be high up the pitch).
Shesternyov wasn't your typical sweeper, who marched forward with the ball like Sammer or Beckenbauer used to.

This is what Uwe Seeler had to say about him:-

Do you know who to me was and still is the personification of Russian football? Albert. Believe me, I can not be accused of timidity, cowardice, especially in, wrestling, despite the modest physical data (height Uwe Seeler - only 176 cm, but it is a perfect example of how to play the game on the "second floor", the lion share their goals - just 43 in the world championships - he scored a head. - IF), I never avoided. But when Albert went against me, I felt each time at ease. Well, imagine that you are approaching the tricuspid closet. And not just a wardrobe, and a quick, sharp, mobile, jumpy, increasing by 190. By the way, it is true that he ran the 100m in 11 seconds? Well, you see. I am very sorry that I could not come to his funeral and pay their last respects to this great football player.
Regarding Shearer, obviously Shearer wasn't slow. But he wasn't that quick either. He wasn't a Ronaldo or Henry or Eto'o for that matter who was a master of running the channels and penetrating the defensive backline on his own.

The Stain

Regarding Shearer, obviously Shearer wasn't slow. But he wasn't that quick either. He wasn't a Ronaldo or Henry or Eto'o for that matter who was a master of running the channels and penetrating the defensive backline on his own.
He doesn't have Ronaldo pace, ok, i'll give you that. Again, though. We will primarily attack down the flanks where we have plenty of pace. Apart from the obvious reasons (pre 66/among best ever wingers) i went with Czibor/Amancio is for their extreme pace. When they have passed your high pressing wingbacks, your outer central defenders will have to move out wide, leaving plenty of space for Shearer in the box. Also, they were both noted for their excellent dribbling abilities so no doubt will they create chances for themselves too.

The Stain

Would asking scan voters via pm why they voted so or so be considered cheating?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don't think that any discussions about votes in personal messages are appropriate. Who knows, what you will say there and your opponent will never get the chance to argue.

If you want to tag them in the thread and ask them, go ahead.

Moby

Dick
I don't think that any discussions about votes in personal messages are appropriate. Who knows, what you will say there and your opponent will never get the chance to argue.

This.

The Stain

Hence why i asked, shall not do it. Would be nice to know what they think is all, whether they read anything and such. Part of the game though.

The Stain

Thought i'd get smashed here. I believe if TRV would have changed his tactics in game he'd beaten me comfortably. Thanks to the drafters/regulars whom pulled me through another match!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Hence why i asked, shall not do it. Would be nice to know what they think is all, whether they read anything and such. Part of the game though.
Tagging users,who voted, here in this thread is fair, nothing wrong with that at all. No talk about votes in PMs though.