The Euro Draft - Round 1 - Raees vs Paolo Di Canio

Judged on the Euro performances, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
All players shall be judged only on their performances at the tournaments (From 1927 to 1960 the CEICs, from 1960 to 2012 the Euros). Please take this into account before voting. You can read up on the theme by clicking here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Raees:

My team will line up in a fluid 4-4-2 Diamond. The first thing to note is that there is a high level of technical brilliance in this team, from the goalkeeper, the full backs all the way to the strikers. Secondly, the side has the perfect blend of agility, pace and power again all through the side... the number of athletes in that team is nothing short of incredible,Beara, Zebec, Facchetti, Rijkaard, Henry.

My man between the sticks is "The ballet dancer with the hands of steel" 'Big' Vladimir Beara. Lev Yashin and Ricardo Zamora ...probably two of the biggest goalkeeping legends of all time considered him the greatest they had ever seen. Upon his death, the British press and Jonathan Wilson in particular penned articles on his passing.. which for a Eastern European keeper speaks volumes about his status within the game. Extremely agile, a great shot stopper, ferociously brave when coming for crosses.. he even saved a penalty against Puskas during a game v the Mighty Magyars.

In the heart of defence is the outstanding man-marker in the entire draft, Jurgen Kohler, who, aged 26 and coming off the back of an exceptional season with Juventus, was at his absolute peak in Euro 1992. He will dovetail delightfully with the pacy and left-sidedBranko Zebec...a superhuman footballer. He was considered to be world class in three separate positions, Sweeper/Left Back and Winger. Blessed with pace (he could run 100m in less than 11s in football boots), agility, aerial ability and a wonderful ability to read the game - there is no wonder that he is often included in the greatest of the 50-60's era teams andconsidered the best centre half from that era.

On the right is Manuel Amoros, the captain of France's Euro 1992 side. Amoros was one of the few French players who came out of that tournament with their reputation upheld, classy on the ball and defensively solid. On the left is the legendaryGiacinto Facchettiarguably the greatest left back at all time and in peak form, he lifted the Euro 1968 trophy as captain to add to his multiple European cups. A man mountain of a defender who was like Maldini in defence but like nothing else we have ever seen going forwards, he was a genuine threat... a playmaker/goalscorer from left back and that is why he trumps Paulo for me especially in European Championship football.Probably the most complete full back of all time and in Euros history.

In midfield we have a brilliant quartet of footballers and in the pivot position, we have none other than the star of Euro 2012 and the one man with the audacity to take on Tiki Taka single-handedly... Andrea Pirlo. This time he is not alone and will be flanked by two world class box to box midfielders.. furthermore he won't be feeding the likes of Balotelli and spreading it to the likes of Abate, but the likes of Henry, Facchetti. He will be at his absolute scheming best in this set up... free to orchestrate the game in a manner Mozart himself would struggle to emulate.

Bursting out from the heart of midfield to the left is Gerhard Hanappi, one of the foremost midfielders of the 1950. Combative with thighs like tree trunks, Hanappi offers plenty of dig for the midfield battle. But he also brings a 1-in-3 goal career record that bears comparison with Pavel Nedved. A perfect fit for a midfield diamond.

The imperious Frank Rijkaard will dominate the centre of the park, reprising the role he excelled in during 1992. Tactically perfect, he spent both Euro 1988 and Euro 1992 (and the rest of his career) switching position as the needs of the game demanded. As well as running midfield, Rijkaard offers significant threat at set-pieces as demonstrated by the inch-perfect header against Germany and a one-step-ahead-of-everyone-else headed assist for Bergkamp to grab the winner against Scotland in 1992.

At the apex of the midfield diamond is the star of Euro 1992 Thomas Hassler. Saved Germany's bacon with a stunning last-minute free-kick to salvage a draw in the opening match against CIS. Repeated the feat in the semi-final against Sweden, Hassler was an incisive and roaming attacking threat whose endless stamina ensured that opposing midfields (the Holland game apart) were both outpassed and outran.

Up front we have the sensational duo of Henry and Ibrahimovic. Thierry Henry was at his absolute best in Euro 2000 and tore Nesta, Maldini and Cannavaro apart in the final. Pace, guile, strength.. some of his hold up play in the final was magnificent. He would drift to the left and tear strips out of the opposition, turning defence into attack in an instant.Him and Facchetti down the left will be monstrous.

Zlatan Ibrahimovicis the perfect partner for Henry (check his relationship with Bergkamp). His Euros CV is exceptional: the joint third highest Euros goalscorer of all-time, including three outstanding goals against Italy in 2004, Greece in 2008 and France in 2012. Beyond the goals he brings unique technical ability, match-winning invention and serious strength to the table.

Flaws in his side

• Ruud and Ronaldo is a proven recipe for disaster. The goal hungry poacher and the ego-maniacal goal machine that hasn't really hit top gear at an International tournament. These two would bring out the worst in each other and as Ronaldo gets frustrated by Amoros and Ruud gets silenced by Kohler... I see bust ups galore in prospect.

• His midfield numerically, tactically and in terms of ability doesn’t match up to ours. I love me abit of Ballack but his side is not balanced in midfield and will be overrun by our 4. I can't see him laying a hand on Pirlo who will be free to run riot and dictate the game as he sees fit.

• His full backs also are not gifted enough to take advantage of our diamond formation. We can defend with ease and do not need to worry ourselves about overlapping runs.

• Henry will love playing against such a slow defence and with the vision of Pirlo, Ibrahimovic and Hassler.. he will get chance after chance to shit on that defence. Massive mismatch in our favour there.

Exploiting his weaknesses:
  • In light of the lack of pace in PDC's central defence - Blanc and Pique, Thierry Henry's turbo acceleration and sheer speed will cause carnage. He caused all sorts of problems for Alessandro Nesta and Fabio Cannavaro in 2000 and, in this game, the relatively pedestrian Blanc and Pique are a bad match for what he brings to the table.
  • PDC appears to suffer from an overly attack-minded midfield. It's basically asking any two from Ferrari, Ballack and Domengini to anchor the midfield when all three had attacking instincts. We have a proper midfield four who will work going backward and going forward in equal measure. We also have the best player on the park in Frank Rijkaard and are providing the perfect platform for the stars of Euro 1992 and 2012 in Hassler and Pirlo to shine. Fundamentally there is a clear tactical and quality advantage in midfield for us.

SELECT DETAILED PLAYER PROFILES (Can provide others on request)

VLAD BEARA
MANUEL AMOROS
BRANKO ZEBEC
GERHARD HANNAPI

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

vs

Team Paolo Di Canio

Lev Yashin

Probably seen as the best goalkeeper of all time and one of the most prolific in the early days of the CEIC/European Championships, a leader and winner of the 1960 competition

Jose Camacho

Runner up in 1984 and one of the classiest left backs around in the early 80s, positionally great and an assest to my team going forward

Gerard Pique

Euro 2012 winner and member of one of the best international teams of all time, underrated of his importance to the success of that team, could count on one hand the goals conceeded throughout that 2012 competition

Laurent Blanc

1992,1996 and 2000 team of the tournament & winner in 2000, the experianced rock at the back and captain of my team, rarely caught out of position and one of names that comes to mind when thinking of the 1990s euros

Claudio Gentile

Semi Finalist in 1980 and team of the tournament right back, rock and man marking extrodinaire can slot in at centre back also if needed

Michael Ballack

2004 and 2008 team of the tournmanet and finalist in 2008, great reader of the game and versatile midfielder who uses his strength and ability to boss the midfield

Giovanni Ferrari

Known as one of the best players of all time and winner of the ceic 1933 -35 alongside Giuseppe Meazza and Salvio Piola, hard working team player who could also play as a striker, he will be the engine of my midfield and heartbeat of my midfield

Cristiano Ronaldo

Runner up in 2004 and star player of 2008/12 competitions, probably alot better than his national teams creditials weight up against him, probably going down as one of the best players of all time and scorer and assister of many goals in his 3 tournaments

Dennis Bergkamp

1992 top scorer and team of the tournament award winner, one of the classiest players of that era and vital cog in my attack

Ruud van Nistelrooy

euro 2004 team of the tournament award winner and goal scoring machine for my team, one of the leading scorers in tournament history

Dragoslav Sekularac

Yugoslavian winger who to me is the original mark overmars, technically gifted battling wide man who loved to get a yard on his opponent and open them up

Substitute - Angelo Domenghini

winner of 1968 tournament and pacey wideman who liked to pop in with a goal here and there

Im setting up with a 4-2-3-1 formation for this one, Going to play a high line to nulify the space for Raess/Gios midfield to spread the ball around.Bergkamps job will be to sit on the midfielder in which they decide to play deepest, and not to allow Pirlo the time he will want on the ball to pick out a pass to one of the forwards, Ferrari will have a vital role in my team seeing as I most likely will be outnumbered in midfield judging by the amount of midfielders in the oppositions squad, he will be my workhorse, pressing the opponents and looking to get the ball up the field, Riijkaard is Ballacks man if he plays in central midfield, if he slots in at centre back then Habler will be seeing alot of big mike, he will look to join the attack if the ball is out wide and allow Bergkamp to venture up along side Ruud van Nistelrooy in attack,Camacho will be the source of alot of attacks aswell as his job will be to bring the ball out of defense and look for Seki or Ronaldos runs inbetween the centre back and full back.

Gentiles job is one of marking space and making sure balls dont come down that side for Henry or Ibrahimovic, and when needed slot into wide midfield or centre back when needed, Blanc is going to marhshall my defence and tell them when to move forward etc, Henry cannot be given a yard to get a run on either defender so whoever is closest to him at time of attack has the job of getting to the ball first, Ronaldo and Seki will change wings throughout the match
just so Raess/Gios full backs dont get comfortable, Ronaldo will have to use his speed and strength to out pace Zebec and Amoros whilst Sekularac will be looking to get into good positions to receive the ball and cross to RVN or Ronaldo, Kohler and Facchetti will be tough to beat in the air so im going to ask my forwards to try get a run on there marker first and look for early crosses from Seki

Bergkamp will be playing as more of an attacking mid then a second striker in this team, use his brain to find space and look for runs from RVN and Ronaldo who will be my two main goalscorers, Seki will be more of an out for my team then a real attacking threat, follow runs of Amoros or Zebec and battle our way into the game our main will be to sit back and soak up alot of pressure as we will be outnumbered in the middle and pounce on any mistakes, make the pitch tight, dont allow pirlo to dictate the game, move as a unit, get the ball to RVN in the box.

Good luck @Raees @Gio @Paolo Di Canio

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Rado_N @Damien , could one of you please add the poll to the thread? Thanks a lot.

Question:

- Team Raees
- Team Paolo Di Canio
- Draw

Poll for 24hrs. Public Poll. View results without voting. Can change votes.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
@Rado_N @Damien , could one of you please add the poll to the thread? Thanks a lot.

Question:

- Team Raees
- Team Paolo Di Canio
- Draw

Poll for 24hrs. Public Poll. View results without voting. Can change votes.
Done.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Excellent team, @Raees. It's amazing you can have this set of players at early round.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Raees i assume @Paolo Di Canio will take Ronaldo from Euro 04' and Ronaldo back then was not goal hungry poacher as he is today.

nevertheless i voted for Raes, think he has the better team + high line with Pique and Blanc vs Henry is recipe for disaster, specially Henry in Euro form.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Went for Di Canio first, as I think all of those players at their peaks would make for a better side, but judged on Euro performances Raees' team would edge it imo.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Raees i assume @Paolo Di Canio will take Ronaldo from Euro 04' and Ronaldo back then was not goal hungry poacher as he is today.

nevertheless i voted for Raes, think he has the better team + high line with Pique and Blanc vs Henry is recipe for disaster, specially Henry in Euro form.
Yeah even if Ronaldo wasn't a hungry goal poacher, the both of them still clashed pre 2006 due to Ronaldo going alone for mazy dribbles and not supplying him with crosses so the point stands nonetheless. Agree with the rest of your points though.

@Isotope thanks mate.

Last edited:

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Im going to have Ronaldo playing inbetween Fachhetti and Zebec, so Zebec will have to think twice before leaving RVN perhaps with a yard on Kohler, Seki will look to run inbetween Kohler and Amoros to benefit RVN

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
This is what i plan to look like in attack

As you can see Pirlo has a decision to make whether to shadow Bergkamp or keep an eye on Ronaldo who likes to drift around the line infront of the goal, Camacho covering the left hand side when Ronaldo goes on his wanders, Riijkaard and Ballack will be busy with eachother all game by the looks of things, Van Nistelrooy can use Ronaldo and Bergkamps movement as a decoy so one of Kohler or Zebec to step out because Bergkamp will get the better of Pirlo eventually, Hannapi will be keeping an eye on Ferrari who is naturally an attacking minded player, hopefully get a goal or two in the match

While defending

Raees lack of width allows me to have Gentile and Pique doubling up on the runs of Henry if needed, Gentiles primary duty will be to keep an eye on Hannapis runs forward though, Pique has dealt with alow of pacy customers before and will be told not to allow it to get into a foot race by being positionally sound, I think Blanc has Zlatan covered as Zlatan nor Henry do well in front 2 partnerships, they prefer to play alone, Blanc made 3 euro teams of the tournaments so in this case translates as one of the best defenders in the world

Ferrari and Ballack and Camacho/ Seki will work as a unit to move together and press Hannapi, Habler and Riijkaard while on the ball, Ronaldo and Bergkamp providing an out for my team when they win the ball back to break

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I love Raees and Gio's team. Also, its very hard to argue with the real world proof that Ronaldo and RVN simply didn't work together. Its a shame, as RVN and peak, goalscoring Bergkamp is just incredible. I like RVN as a Euros pick too. He was obviously prolific in 2004, but I loved watching him in 2008, where his approach play was tremendous and imo demonstrated that he was a far better footballer than he's given credit for.

For Paolo, I'm not a big fan of Ballack as the deepest midfielder, and that has a big impact on the cohesiveness of his midfield in general.

Going forward for Raees and Gio, I have serious reservations about Amoros' credentials in a Euros draft, great player though he was. Past his prime in 1992 I'm assuming, in a poor campaign by France, and an individually underwhelming '84 tournament. Sent off towards the end of their first match and poorest performance vs Denmark after a decent but unspectacular performance, and only reappeared for the last 20ish minutes of the final. It seems weird to suggest that Amoros possibly needs to be upgraded but that might just be the case here.

Also, I wouldn't mind hearing about more about Rijkaard's role. I'd stop short of agreeing with @Edgar Allan Pillow that he and Pirlo are incompatible, but its a slightly unusual fit given that Rijkaard operated between centre back and central midfield mostly as far as I know. I still think it would probably work, it just looks not quite right.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
wow.. this is rough on Paolo. Raees/Gio have some draft favourities so they are never going to lose this but bar Ballack being played as the deepest midfielder, I like his team

Pat_Mustard

Oh feck, just seen the score and I'm gutted for Paolo. If its any consolation I did tell Raees that his team was probably my favourite in the draft thread. There's alot to like about his team but Raees/Gio would have probably got my vote ahead of anyone other than Skizzo and myself.

Pat_Mustard

wow.. this is rough on Paolo. Raees/Gio have some draft favourities so they are never going to lose this but bar Ballack being played as the deepest midfielder, I like his team
Aye, its really rough. There's alot to like about his team - it just occured to me that Gentile at right back is a great fit to mitigate against Henry exploiting the left wing. I guess this is one of those where a bunch of people thinking Raees/Gio would win narrowly ends up as a landslide.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I missed Sekularac pick in the main thread :lol: I even wanted to include him in my "unpicked 11". I'm not sure about his position though - he played as an inside forward in the first game and as an outside right in the final (which was a surprise to a soviet defenders). I see that they can change through the game, but still, why mess with they starting positions?

I'm going to sleep, I'm not the best judge at this state

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Don't think Rijkaard and Pirlo are complimentary!
Also, I wouldn't mind hearing about more about Rijkaard's role. I'd stop short of agreeing with @Edgar Allan Pillow that he and Pirlo are incompatible, but its a slightly unusual fit given that Rijkaard operated between centre back and central midfield mostly as far as I know. I still think it would probably work, it just looks not quite right.
Rijkaard spent all of his midfield career alongside possession-based players such as Ancelotti and Albertini so, in that sense, it's a similar but improved relationship IMO. That was in a hard-working, box-to-box midfield four, which is effectively what he and the rest of the midfield are doing here. He also has this fairly unique ability in being able to adapt to the needs of the team while maintaining his ability to significantly influence the course of the game.

Annahnomoss

@Annahnomoss voting against Zlatan you bastard :lol:
Wasn't making my vote based on this game, just thought Paolo deserved a vote because he's done a great job in the draft with his team and he's just unlucky that you are a slight but clear winner.

Karma vote.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
As far as euro performances goes, Di Canio's defence is very good. But like someone pointed out, Ballack as the main man in front, he played primarily attacking during the euro's (also, Raees attack works brilliantly). Not sure about Amoros though, guess he'll be replaced eventually.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Wasn't making my vote based on this game, just thought Paolo deserved a vote because he's done a great job in the draft with his team and he's just unlucky that you are a slight but clear winner.

Karma vote.
Yeah PDC's done a great job and I am sure his full backs and his attack are ripe for plucking in the re-inforcement round which is a testament to the quality of his side.

Annahnomoss

As far as euro performances goes, Di Canio's defence is very good. But like someone pointed out, Ballack as the main man in front, he played primarily attacking during the euro's (also, Raees attack works brilliantly). Not sure about Amoros though, guess he'll be replaced eventually.
Facchetti and Amoros are both extremely offensive, more like wing backs, and I wouldn't buy that defense at all if it wasn't because Rijkaard is on the pitch. I think it is critical that Rijkaard would cover for them by playing it more defensively than he would with regular full backs.

I like it though, it is a diamond and he needs width so having Facchetti/Amoros bombing up on each flank almost unrestricted will be well worth having Rijkaard keep a more defensive position during the attacks.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Harsh result, but it was to be expected. Raees and Gio have an immense team here, easily the best in the first round. Not surprising if you get to steal Häßler and Pirlo in the 8th and 9th round. I agree that Paolo did a great job with the exception of playing Ballack as the deepest midfielder. He would have given most of the other teams a good game, unlucky draw.

sajeev

was going to vote for Raess, but might not bother as well till it gets a bit closer - once again a pet peeve of mine, the scorelines don't do justice to the teams as well as the effort that the managers put in

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
was going to vote for Raess, but might not bother as well till it gets a bit closer - once again a pet peeve of mine, the scorelines don't do justice to the teams as well as the effort that the managers put in
Yep. Excellent write ups so far. I think mine will be massive haha, hopefully someone reads half of it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Rijkaard spent all of his midfield career alongside possession-based players such as Ancelotti and Albertini so, in that sense, it's a similar but improved relationship IMO. That was in a hard-working, box-to-box midfield four, which is effectively what he and the rest of the midfield are doing here. He also has this fairly unique ability in being able to adapt to the needs of the team while maintaining his ability to significantly influence the course of the game.
Not saying they'll be a disaster, but they will not add up to more than the sum of parts. Rijakkard will not be a water carrier to Pirlo and he'll be all over the place and run matches his ususal way. You need someone to stay behind when Pirlo moves up to do exactly the same. Despite the bigger names, I think a good opponent will definitely find spaces to exploit behind them. Bergkamp will definitely do it here. But it's Ballack who made me vote for you here. Not suitable at all and would not be able to take advantage of this.

@Paolo Di Canio whom do you have on bench?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Facchetti and Amoros are both extremely offensive, more like wing backs, and I wouldn't buy that defense at all if it wasn't because Rijkaard is on the pitch. I think it is critical that Rijkaard would cover for them by playing it more defensively than he would with regular full backs.

I like it though, it is a diamond and he needs width so having Facchetti/Amoros bombing up on each flank almost unrestricted will be well worth having Rijkaard keep a more defensive position during the attacks.
Yeah, that was the idea behind pairing Rijkaard and Facchetti. It was also the idea in getting Hanappi as he played big chunks of his international career at left and right-back, so could drop in to those areas as and when required.

Annahnomoss

Yeah, that was the idea behind pairing Rijkaard and Facchetti. It was also the idea in getting Hanappi as he played big chunks of his international career at left and right-back, so could drop in to those areas as and when required.
Yup should have mentioned Hanappi too, he also suits the role perfectly. Congrats at the win!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
True, but I don't recall him playing in midfield at the Euros, it was always Koeman-Rijkaard in defence. Even in the World Cup, for the big games he was always reverted to the defence.

Rijkaard in midfield is out of scope then, and Rijkaard in defence would indeed not be very complimentary with Pirlo.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
True, but I don't recall him playing in midfield at the Euros, it was always Koeman-Rijkaard in defence. Even in the World Cup, for the big games he was always reverted to the defence.

Rijkaard in midfield is out of scope then, and Rijkaard in defence would indeed not be very complimentary with Pirlo.
At Euro 88, Rijkaard and Koeman were the central defensive partnership. At Euro 92, Rijkaard played in the three midfielders in Rinus Michels' 3-3-3-1. In both tournaments he spent time moving back and forward as the situation desired. For instance towards the end of the Germany group stage game in 1992, he went back to defence to deal with the German aerial bombardment, which proved an inspired move. Agreed on Rijkaard behind Pirlo as an unworkable set-up, but his current role is true to how he played in Sweden.

antohan

At Euro 88, Rijkaard and Koeman were the central defensive partnership. At Euro 92, Rijkaard played in the three midfielders in Rinus Michels' 3-3-3-1. In both tournaments he spent time moving back and forward as the situation desired. For instance towards the end of the Germany group stage game in 1992, he went back to defence to deal with the German aerial bombardment, which proved an inspired move. Agreed on Rijkaard behind Pirlo as an unworkable set-up, but his current role is true to how he played in Sweden.
I remember 1988 more than 1992 to be honest, but I had the impression in 1992 he had a similar role to that in LvGs Ajax whereby he alternated between holding/protecting the defence and filling in as a fourth defender? And therein lies the issue, how compatible is that role with having Pirlo dictating from deep between the lines?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I remember 1988 more than 1992 to be honest, but I had the impression in 1992 he had a similar role to that in LvGs Ajax whereby he alternated between holding/protecting the defence and filling in as a fourth defender? And therein lies the issue, how compatible is that role with having Pirlo dictating from deep between the lines?
If you watch the 1992 game v Germany, it provides good footage of Rijkaard's positioning during that tournament. It was very flexible and he wasn't right in front of the defence at all times, he'd drift down the right if the situation demanded it.

That was a very attacking dutch team and plenty of rotation in terms of positions. Koeman was the furthest back.

Also Rijkaard is a very different style of midfielder to a Pirlo, defensively he is a monster and in that sense he can bring out the best out of Pirlo. He will protect him and some of their interplay in front of the defence would be amazing to watch.. in addition to that, Rijkaard is super comfortable making surging runs with the ball and supporting the attack whereas Pirlo can sit back and dictate the game from the centre-circle.

De Rossi is quite similar to a Rijkaard in that he isn't just a defensive midfielder, he can playmake from deeper areas. He has the technique and passing range to dictate from deep.. so whilst he isn't in the same class as Rijkaard, he is a similar player i.e. mixture of holding mid/box to box and yet he fit in perfectly with Pirlo. That is what we are trying to imitate here... someone who can drop into holding mid and provide the centre-backs/wing backs with genuine protection alongside Pirlo.

To be fair we can all be quite prone to assuming two players who feature in a similar position on a pitch can override each other and especially two top names, but truth be told.. top class midfielders can get the best out of each other, if they have the versatility in their game and an adaptable mentality.

Pirlo cannot adapt to someone else - agreed as he is despite being an incredible deep lying playmaker, he is ultimately very limited but Rijkaard is an incredibly versatile footballer with a very varied skill-set hence why he is rightfully rated as a God in these drafts.

We selected him over Matthaus for that very reason, he goes with anyone.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

Good post, and some excellent points made in your and Raees' follow up posts too. He did surge forward quite a bit from the Euros footage I've seen, and he's so different in style and skill set to Pirlo that I can see the set up working very well. I guess it just looks slightly unusual on the team sheet seeing Rijkaard as one of the more advanced midfielders.

antohan

If you watch the 1992 game v Germany, it provides good footage of Rijkaard's positioning during that tournament. It was very flexible and he wasn't right in front of the defence at all times, he'd drift down the right if the situation demanded it.

That was a very attacking dutch team and plenty of rotation in terms of positions. Koeman was the furthest back.

Also Rijkaard is a very different style of midfielder to a Pirlo, defensively he is a monster and in that sense he can bring out the best out of Pirlo. He will protect him and some of their interplay in front of the defence would be amazing to watch.. in addition to that, Rijkaard is super comfortable making surging runs with the ball and supporting the attack whereas Pirlo can sit back and dictate the game from the centre-circle.

De Rossi is quite similar to a Rijkaard in that he isn't just a defensive midfielder, he can playmake from deeper areas. He has the technique and passing range to dictate from deep.. so whilst he isn't in the same class as Rijkaard, he is a similar player i.e. mixture of holding mid/box to box and yet he fit in perfectly with Pirlo. That is what we are trying to imitate here... someone who can drop into holding mid and provide the centre-backs/wing backs with genuine protection alongside Pirlo.

To be fair we can all be quite prone to assuming two players who feature in a similar position on a pitch can override each other and especially two top names, but truth be told.. top class midfielders can get the best out of each other, if they have the versatility in their game and an adaptable mentality.

Pirlo cannot adapt to someone else - agreed, but Rijkaard is an incredibly versatile footballer with a very varied skill-set.
I'm not questioning Rijkaard being able to work well with Pirlo the way you have laid it out. The issue I was raising was whether Euro Rijkaard ever played that sort of midfield role.

In my mind he was always a defender or a holding midfielder who occupied very much the same space as Pirlo but rather than being full-time DLP also had the drop to defence role and the occasional surging runs to overload in attack.

As said, it's specifically an issue re: his euro persona, not a wider issue considering his full body of work.