The Euro Draft - Round 1 - Stobzilla vs Team EAP

Judged on the Euro performances, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
All players shall be judged only on their performances at the tournaments (From 1927 to 1960 the CEICs, from 1960 to 2012 the Euros). Please take this into account before voting. You can read up on the theme by clicking here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Stobzilla

Defence

The leader of the unit, undoubtedly is BECKENBAUER he will, as usual control the play seeing the entire field, able to pick passes between the lines or take a more considered approach. He is flanked in the middle by possibly the Soviet's best player at Euro '88 KUZNETSOV his performances in the tournament earned him an 11th place rating in World Player Of The Year voting, particularly high for a defender. Had the Soviet's had him in the final ... who knows. On the other side is one of two underrated Spaniards in the starting XI, MARCHENA was a rock for Spain during their Euro 08 campaign, another who is quite happy to play the ball out from the back.

Next to him on the left flank is CAPDEVILA, when not being apart of a rock solid Villareal defence, he was busy helping Spain to a Euro '08 victory and was a quiet mainstay of that great side, understated but effective. STANKOVIC is thought of in some quarters as the best right back Yugoslavia produced, Stanley Matthews certainly seemed to think so, but his performences in European international competition certainly cemented that opinion.

They are backed up expertly by PFAFF the custodian for Belgium's runners up performance at Euro '80

Midfield

A decidedly English feel to the middle of the park for my side, endless running, grit, determination and quality between messrs GASCOIGNE and CHARLTON, both have the distinction of being named to Team Of The Tournaments in their respective best years, they can offer themselves as a short option for Beckenbauer or equally tear through the midfield area's themselves with superb drive and dribbling skills. Charlton offers a deeper goal threat while Gascoigne is capable of ... anything.

Attack

Speaking of capable of anything, BROLIN was possibly the standout of Euro '92 where he demonstrated a brilliant all around skill set. Here he is asked to operate alongside another stand out from the same Euro '92 tournament B. LAUDRUP who was one of many heroes for the eventual winners Denmark. BICAN rounds out the attack, tall, strong, elegant, quick with an enviable goal scoring record, he drew the ire of Czech team mates for being just too damn good calling him the "Austrian Bastard"

Set-Up

The idea is to stay as solid as possible at the back, only committing our full backs when we absolutely can do, both are capable when they get across the half way line, their job here however is to defend first. Play will run through Beckenbauer primarily, but he has ball players around him as well. Brolin will get into pockets of space while Gascoigne and Charlton do a lot of the midfield running, driving with the ball when possible.

Laudrup and Bican's pace will be able to stretch the defence and offer Brolin a bit of space to work his magic and there is always the aforementioned Charlton and Gascoigne who can both arrive late in the box and get beyond the striker.

Lastly, Good luck to Edgar and his management team.

vs

Team EAP

Formation:

A solid & flexible 4-4-2 Diamond.

Defensive Line:

Nothing much needs to be said for the D-line. All known names who have the reputations of being one of the best at their roles. Every one of them stalwart defenders who are comfortable on the ball too.

Midfield:

Defence support from the midfield:

- Deschamps was a dedicated DM, well known for his high work-rate, tenacity, stamina, and his efficacy at pressing and tackling opponents. Tactically intelligent, his brilliant positional and organisational sense helped him in excelling at impeding the opposition's attacking movements.
- Masopust's usual position was a left half (close to a defensive central midfielder in modern formations)
- Schweinsteiger was the established DM for the German side in Euro 2012.

Workrate:

VERY HIGH. All 3 of my midfielder's are known for their high workrate. They will be perfect in recovering the ball and shuttling between the boxes all game.

Creativity/Play-making from the midfield:

- Deschamps was a good passer of the ball and was perfectly capable of starting up attacking plays once he won back possession.
- Masopust's was renowned for his box-to-box ability to support attack with his slalom runs. He Possessed exemplary ball control, his transmission with ball on foot through the field was clinical, which he utilized for both; basic work, from the recovery of the ball in defense, to driving menacingly through the opposition in what was termed 'Masopust's slalom'. During these solo runs Masopust would seamlessly switch between both feet, easily jinking to the left and right but always moving forward.
- Schweinsteiger, called as "the brain" of the German national team by his coach Joachim Löw. One of the best midfielders in the world he possesses a fearsome shot from range as well as a wicked delivery from set-pieces and has a knack of scoring spectacular goals due to his good positioning. The "midfield mastermind" is someone who you can trust to run the game from the middle.

Attack:

It's a highly flexible, versatile and lethal front 3.
- Puskas and Gullit are a total package. Both capable of leading the attack or dropping back to creating for the other.
- Sneijder is capable of drifting left or move up to score himself. He scored the goal of the tournament in Euro 2008.
- Gullit and Schweini are both capable of drifting right and will link well in that flank.

Why I'll win:

- Solid defensive line.
- Midfielder who are solid defensively, have great passing range, renowned for their offensive contribution, can score goals. Perfection.
- One of the best attacks in the draft.

The Midfield Numbers Game:

Hierro is capable of stepping up to defensive midfield when we have the ball, giving much more liberty for my midfield to move up to pitch without losing defensive shape or he can choose to sit back and let a rampaging Breitner do the damage. On the other end, both Puskas and Gullit are total players who can drop back and create for the other and score on their own, Gullit especially has played in the middle and will have a equally devastating contribution to the team overall. Sneijder is a intelligent player who has a free role here. He can drop deep to balance for a attacking Masopust or move up into spaces vacated by CB's following Puskas/Gullit and score a goal or two on his own. This flexibility gives me a huge tactical advantage in the middle. I can retain and move the ball around better.

Vareity of Goal Threats:

+ Obviously Puskas & Gullit, arguable the best attacking duo of this draft
+ Sneijder, who scored the Goal of the Tournament in Euro 2008.
+ Masopust, going on his fabulous 'slalom' runs.
+ Schweinsteiger is always dangerous even from a distance.

Flexibility:

There is no single 'threat' that my opponent can concentrate or man mark to save himself. The team is set up that it is flexible to adapt during both attack and defence. With the midfelder's dropping deep or defenders moving up to join/support attack, it will be done as a whole leaving no gaps to exploit during the counter.

EURO Form Guide:

1. Breitner
1972 TotT​
2. Sol Campbell
2004 TotT​
3. Durkovic
1960 TotT​
4. Masopust
1960 ToTT​
5. Deschamps
1996 TotT​
6. Sneijder
2008 TotT | Man of the Match: vs. Italy, vs. France | Best Goal of the Tournament: vs France​
7. Puskás
1948/53 CEIC Top Scorer.​
8. Gullit
1988, 1992 TotT​
9. Pepe (Substitute)
2008, 2012 TotT​
10. Schweinsteiger
"I have been really impressed by the Germany captain so far in Euro 2012 and he is the kind of midfield player that I really like. He can do everything. He tackles, defends, is powerful when going forward, has a good shot and is also good on the ball." - Patrick Vieira

------------------------------------------------

Good luck @Stobzilla @Edgar Allan Pillow @MJJ @coolredwine

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Rado_N @Damien , could one of you please add the poll to the thread? Thanks a lot.

Question:
Judged on the Euro performances, who will win the match?

- Team Stobzilla
- Team EAP
- Draw

Poll for 24hrs. Public Poll. View results without voting. Can change votes.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Good luck @Stobzilla

Some initial points:

Our attacking threat is too great and the quality of Puskas/Gullit in Euros is proven. I simply do not see his defence even with Beckenbauer doing his libero role able to stop us all match.
For that midfield to operate effectively key reliance is on Kaiser to move up and provide a consistent base for the other two to operate in. As mentioned above, my attack will not permit this without consequences. I see us having a advantage in midfield too.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Good luck @Stobzilla

Some initial points:

Our attacking threat is too great and the quality of Puskas/Gullit in Euros is proven. I simply do not see his defence even with Beckenbauer doing his libero role able to stop us all match.
For that midfield to operate effectively key reliance is on Kaiser to move up and provide a consistent base for the other two to operate in. As mentioned above, my attack will not permit this without consequences. I see us having a advantage in midfield too.
You could be right, but what a battle it is in there though, Gascoigne against Masopust and Charlton up against Schweinsteiger. One for the ages.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
One thing I am happy with is that one of my full backs can comfortably provide on outlet now given the narrow midfield we have you bettered for pace imo and if we can get you turned around quickly it could be danger.

MJJ

Gascoigne as a midfielder instead of a winger /wide mid or attacking mid? That seems a bit wrong. I would be worried about stobz midfield defensively here.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Gascoigne as a midfielder instead of a winger /wide mid or attacking mid? That seems a bit wrong. I would be worried about stobz midfield defensively here.
Gazza is comfortably a central midfielder.You could even argue that if Beckenbauer steps out he becomes and auxiliary third man in midfield and he occupies the wide mid role you speak of.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm thinking what would be the best formation to fit in both Puskas and Gullit. Something like typical german 5-2-3 would've been perfect, in my opinion, with Puskas, Gullit and a great №9 upfront. Or with Platini in Sneijder's position? I like it less though.

Sorry, just thinking out loud. It's such a mouthwatering pairing (and Sneijder looks a little off here).

MJJ

Gazza is comfortably a central midfielder.You could even argue that if Beckenbauer steps out he becomes and auxiliary third man in midfield and he occupies the wide mid role you speak of.
Given marchena and capdevila there, I would imagine beckan. Will be playing as a centre back as much as a dm in this game probably more. I would class gazza as a box to Box mid, someone like the former Rooney who is very aggressive in midfield and might not have the patience to play a possession game. I might be wrong as haven't seen full matches out of him but If that is the case then a 5-2-3 isn't the best formation since it requires midfielders to be more patient on the ball.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I'm thinking what would be the best formation to fit in both Puskas and Gullit. Something like typical german 5-2-3 would've been perfect, in my opinion, with Puskas, Gullit and a great №9 upfront. Or with Platini in Sneijder's position? I like it less though.

Sorry, just thinking out loud. It's such a mouthwatering pairing (and Sneijder looks a little off here).
Yeah, those arrows in Sneijder are a bit odd. Seems like all 3 of of his attacking players might want to operate in a similar area and Team EAP is trying to fit them all in some how.

MJJ

Yeah, those arrows in Sneijder are a bit odd. Seems like all 3 of of his attacking players might want to operate in a similar area and Team EAP is trying to fit them all in some how.
Gullit as a striker who will drift right, puskas as a striker who will drift left. Sneijder as an Am who will drop into midfield to cover for maso. Not sure how they will be operating in the same space.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Just to add to what MJJ said:
- Masopust is a Left DM/Box-to-box player who makes his slalom runs into that area. That left attacking area will not be his primary position. The arrow is just to show the attack overload. With 3 CB's occupied in central area one of Masopust's untracked runs will be a nightmare for my opposition.
- Sneijder is having a free role here. He will interchange with Puskas/Gullit to exploit open spaces. He can create for either or move up to score himself. You can think of it as a hybrid false 9 formation if you want. Quite flexible front 3 that way.

MJJ

Just to add to what MJJ said:
- Masopust is a Left DM/Box-to-box player who makes his slalom runs into that area. That left attacking area will not be his primary position. The arrow is just to show the attack overload. With 3 CB's occupied in central area one of Masopust's untracked runs will be a nightmare for my opposition.
- Sneijder is having a free role here. He will interchange with Puskas/Gullit to exploit open spaces. He can create for either or move up to score himself. You can think of it as a hybrid false 9 formation if you want. Quite flexible front 3 that way.
I do feel that the arrows on Schweign are unnecessary though.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Thin only one of you should post in here at once.

I don't think you can have any AM play as a false 9 role. I don't see Sneijder being someone who could play that role. Not sure I would want to play Guilt as some kind of striker. My concern with 3 of them is that you are not getting the best of any of them, especially Puskas and Guilt. Ideally you don need any of this Sneijder false 9 non sense and just a forward in front of Puskas and Guilt. As it is Guilt would want to drop into areas Snejider is operating in. Puskas might be forced to provide a presence upfront rather than peel away and impact the game from going deep;

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

I don't think you can have any AM play as a false 9 role. I don't see Sneijder being someone who could play that role. Not sure I would want to play Guilt as some kind of striker. My concern with 3 of them is that you are not getting the best of any of them, especially Puskas and Guilt. Ideally you don need any of this Sneijder false 9 non sense and just a forward in front of Puskas and Guilt. As it is Guilt would want to drop into areas Snejider is operating in. Puskas might be forced to provide a presence upfront rather than peel away and impact the game from going deep;
He is not in a false 9 role. He just gets the best out of the midfield. I was just saying he could operate like that. Fine if he cannot, as out strategy is not based on that...just mentioned it as a option.

Agreed on posting. I'm getting back to my balance sheet analysis and try to pass the exam. MJJ/CRW it is...

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I like the Euro form guide. That should be mandatory for everyone from now on.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
On mention of hierro in form guide? :p
:D We looked at Hierro but I couldn't really remember him having a standout Euros performance. On the flip side, I don't recall any shockers either and he hasn't been on the wrong end of any terrible scorelines.

On the whole though there's some real Euros standouts fielded here on both sides. Another really tight game. I have no idea who I'm voting for just yet.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Why would he play out wide? He's a classic number 8, although not quite at peak Italia '90 form.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
On mention of hierro in form guide? :p
Pretty sure he was in midfield in Euro 96, did well there, and played twice in defence at Euro 2000 (aged 32) in the 2-1 win over Slovenia and the 1-0 defeat against Norway. Not the most compelling Euro CV, especially at centre-half.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

A cracking centreforward would take tgem places indeed.

I don't think it's a false 9 though, I thought they should have got Deco there as the glue bringing them all together, but Sneijder isn't far off.

Anyone not understanding the point of a deeper linkup man is probably not taking into account the impact Masopust's runs could have. Formidable player.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
So, given the lack of drama in all these games, could someone provide links to some of the more tasty exchanges between @Stobzilla and bigred123?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Two fantastic teams, I really like both of them and the Kaiser looks imperious in that position.

Not sure I would want to play Guilt as some kind of striker. My concern with 3 of them is that you are not getting the best of any of them, especially Puskas and Guilt. Ideally you don need any of this Sneijder false 9 non sense and just a forward in front of Puskas and Guilt. As it is Guilt would want to drop into areas Snejider is operating in. Puskas might be forced to provide a presence upfront rather than peel away and impact the game from going deep;
Agree with Crappy here and moving forward if you guys get through, I would drop Sneijder or any other #10 and just go with a pure #9.

Gullit is absolutely everywhere, he's such a physically fit and complete footballer and he covers such a lot of ground. A proper #9 to play ahead of those two would be lovely. The midfield three is good as it is, it's just Sneijder who seems slightly unnecessary, but it's not a huge problem.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Point taken on the #9. Will address it if I get through!

I think Stobz midfield is defensively suspect. He has two attack minded CM's there. I believe the ideal way is to play them forward and expect them to drop deep and create...which they excel in, rather than playing them middle and expect them to go forward, which they have played..but not as optimal as the other imo. They have a fantastic goal scoring record and would benefit for a bit less defensive duties. Kaiser is quite attacking himself and will not be content to play a holding/DLP role. Without anyone holding that position consistently, I think his team is very vulnerable to a quick counter.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Point taken on the #9. Will address it if I get through!

I think Stobz midfield is defensively suspect. He has two attack minded CM's there. I believe the ideal way is to play them forward and expect them to drop deep and create...which they excel in, rather than playing them middle and expect them to go forward, which they have played..but not as optimal as the other imo. They have a fantastic goal scoring record and would benefit for a bit less defensive duties. Kaiser is quite attacking himself and will not be content to play a holding/DLP role. Without anyone holding that position consistently, I think his team is very vulnerable to a quick counter.
I don't think that's a fair depiction of Beckenbauer really - he played a disciplined role and left most of the playmaking to Netzer in 1972. I agree that the balance between Charlton and Gazza doesn't seem quite right. Gazza was brilliant in '96 but he didn't have quite the same engine at that age as he did at his peak.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Given the team as such, i think we would have all the areas of the pitch covered by hardworking players. Not sure how Stobz is going to use pace effectively against them.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Went for EAP in the end here, ultimately I think they have a little more quality offensively and if they switch out Sneijder for a striker I think they will have an excellent team.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Some pair of attackers EAP has assembled. Marchena is a weak link in that company. Brolin, Laudrup and Bican will be under-rated in the context of this draft. Importantly they will cause problems: Deschamps struggled to get a grip of Brolin and the Swedish midfield in 1992, Laudrup's surging dribbling and Bican's exceptional pace will threaten the ageing Hierro.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Deschamps struggled to get a grip of Brolin and the Swedish midfield in 1992
Finally, something to post about ;)

He was 24 in 92. Deschamps peak was 96-00 during the golden generation when he captained France in Euro 96 (semis exit), WC'98 (win) and Euro'00 (win). I think that Deschamps is good enough for a draft final.

His midfield is defensively weak. Without Kaizer providing a stable pivot for Bobby/Gazza to operate against, it'll be hard for him to balance between attack/defence. Having Sneijder there plus the quality of my attack makes i hard for even Kaizer to keep me out throughout.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Finally, something to post about ;)

He was 24 in 92. Deschamps peak was 96-00 during the golden generation when he captained France in Euro 96 (semis exit), WC'98 (win) and Euro'00 (win). I think that Deschamps is good enough for a draft final.

His midfield is defensively weak. Without Kaizer providing a stable pivot for Bobby/Gazza to operate against, it'll be hard for him to balance between attack/defence. Having Sneijder there plus the quality of my attack makes i hard for even Kaizer to keep me out throughout.
I do think that it's not clear who is deferring to whom in Stobz's midfield.