The F1 Thread 2008 Season

B Cantona

Desperate
I still find it shocking that McLaren almost managed to feck it all up again.

Knowing he had to only finish 5th, why didn't they just go for the podium to be sure?

Not necessarily to go for the race win, but finish top 3 and you're home safe.

Had it not rained as much the final lap, Massa would have been champion.
The rain was a Godsend to Massa, it gave him a chance of being World Champions. Without it, Hamilton cruises home in 4th or 5th. So you can't really curse the luck of the rain. Glock took an almighty gamble, and it nearly paid off

As for McClaren, I think it's safe to say they just don't have the pace in Brazil. I think tyre wear is also a problem for them, this place is harsh on tyres and McClaren seem to suffer with that more than most. Hamilton did everything he needed to do, bizarre weather conditions are what nearly cost him. There was no bottling going on, it's a silly charge from folk who don't like him. He's young and at the front of the grid, of course he's going to make the odd mistake. That he makes so few shows what a brilliant driver he is. He's topped the F1 standings from virtually the moment he came into the sport, almost 2 years, he absolutely deserved to be World Champion and today, he is :D

rufus diabolus

What an extraordinary finish.

When I heard on the news that Hamilton won, due to someone dropping a place for him to pass I figured it was within the last few laps. Me and my mate youtube'd it at Uni, and saw Vettel taking Hamilton on and even pulling away, only for Glock to let him pass before the last turn! AND HE'S NOT EVEN A MCLAREN!

:eek:

Absolutely amazing stuff, Massa and Ferrari must be LIVID.

It's a bit of a hollow victory, really.
Yeah, of course it is :rolleyes:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, of course it is :rolleyes:
Firstly I really wanted Hamilton to win. Don't get me wrong there.

Secondly, I said that under the premise Glock did indeed let Hamilton pass him on the second last turn of the whole years competition. Which obviously enabled him to get that extra point that would propel him ONE WHOLE POINT above Massa, who'd just WON the race.

The fact Glock's not a McLaren driver compounds the dubiousness of the win. That's assuming he did let him pass after all, which I'm thinking he did.

It's like if say Hussey was on 299, and the opposition captain put his field on the fence, allowing him to push the single.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.

Secondly, I said that under the premise Glock did indeed let Hamilton pass him on the second last turn of the whole years competition. Which obviously enabled him to get that extra point that would propel him ONE WHOLE POINT above Massa, who'd just WON the race.

The fact Glock's not a McLaren driver compounds the dubiousness of the win. That's assuming he did let him pass after all, which I'm thinking he did.

It's like if say Hussey was on 299, and the opposition captain put his field on the fence, allowing him to push the single.
He didn't let him pass. He was driving a rocket ship on water with no rain grooves in his tyres, unlike all the main protagonists. Just look at what that does to other drivers in other races and it's obvious. He just wanted to stay on the track and try to hold on for a point or two. It is possible to be more than half a minute slower in a lap with slick tyres in the wet. Glock did well to finish, some of the track was fairly dry, but still dangerous to him, but the end of it was very wet by the time he approached it for the last time.

Stemmy

Glock didn't let Hamilton pass.....he was on slicks with a soaking track....it was inevitable his car would react like that.

Its only the timing of Hamilton overtaking Glock that has everyone up in arms over it.

VP

What the feck are you on about? Aside from football English sport fans are very sporting and fair.
YES feckING GET IN. :D

I'd just like to say a big feck you to the Brazilian fans in attendance today.

feck YOU AND feck YOUR BOOING YOU UNSPORTING PRATS.

I'd also like to say a big feck YOU to all the anti hamilton twats.

feck YOU

I'd also like to say a big feck YOU to all the stewards who tried their best to prevent Hamilton from winning the championship.

feck YOU
Yes, very sporting.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He didn't let him pass. He was driving a rocket ship on water with no rain grooves in his tyres, unlike all the main protagonists. Just look at what that does to other drivers in other races and it's obvious. He just wanted to stay on the track and try to hold on for a point or two. It is possible to be more than half a minute slower in a lap with slick tyres in the wet. Glock did well to finish, some of the track was fairly dry, but still dangerous to him, but the end of it was very wet by the time he approached it for the last time.
Aaah, well regardless it was still a massive finish to the season. Edge-of-the-seat stuff!

On a side note, I thought Hamilton was drifting on the corners during the last few laps too, I figured his tread was running thing by this time. Vittel's tyres were certainly holding up better during their little tussle there.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds

Let him pass? :houllier: Sorry mate you just do not understand the sport.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Bloody hell that was dramatic wasn't it. I don't think i could have taken anymore of that, what a finish. It looked as though it was fizzling out to a boring 4th place finish, but thanks to Glock and Vettel we had a crazy finish. Hell of a year and it's good to see F1 becoming more and more competitive. Can't wait for next season to see how Honda, Toyota, Torro Rosso, Renault and BMW improve. I've got a feeling next season will be even tighter than this one, with maybe 3 or 4 still in it come the last race.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
Aaah, well regardless it was still a massive finish to the season. Edge-of-the-seat stuff!
Too mad to be a fix innit.

"When it started to rain it was always difficult to find the right line with dry tyres," explained Glock. "At the end the track was totally wet. For five laps we asked if it was better to come in, but I stayed out."

B Cantona

Desperate
vettel overtake hamilton, kubica being naughty too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlS7mp2TJPw
Has Kubica spoke out yet about what the hell he was doing there yet? He wasn't in the points, he had no chance of getting any points being a lap down, why was he getting involved with the Championship protagonists who he was a lap behind at that point? There's no question his move aided Vettals quest to pass Hamilton

These accusations about Glock are idiotic, and the poor lad doesn't deserve it. He took a gamble that gave Massa any chance of winning the title whatsoever. If he pits for intermediates like everyone else, he'd have been nowhere near getting involved, and Hamilton could have afforded to let Vettal take him and coast to Championship victory. Obviously the gamble was he could get to the finish before the cars that pitted for the right tyres could catch him. In a sense his gamble worked, because it gained him what 20 odd seconds or so, however far behind Hamilton he was before it rained. But he didn't have enough to prevent Hamilton overtaking him. Everyone claiming some fix is making themselves look an utter prat, and we'll know for future when these folk speak out that they actually don't have a clue what they're talking about

CircusMonkey

Gratz) to Lewis. fantastic driver, and over the 2 years has proven himself to be the best driver. Also a take a bow Mr Hamilton Snr. What a great dad and the support he has given his son is brilliant to see.

As for the attention limelight stealing whore, that is the girlfriend pfft.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Let him pass? :houllier: Sorry mate you just do not understand the sport.
I do understand it, I said that's what I first thought happened because Glock drifted unusually wide on the turn.

And anyway, what if Glock and Hamilton were best mates...

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Yes, I realise all this now I was just saying these were things I was thinking at the time.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I think Kubica was well within his rights to unlap himself as he was faster then the cars ahead of him. People say he shouldn't effect others races who he isn't racing, well they shouldn't really effect his race then either. He was faster and overtook them fair and square.

Hamilton was struggling in these damp conditions (now he knows how Ferrari felt in those few races eh). Vettal was clearly faster than him - I doubt he would have stayed ahead of him anyway. McLaren were confident through their strategy that they would finish ahead of Glock and Vettal. They have always been a bit rubbish strategy wise but luckily it all ended up as planned, just a little closer than expected.

I just wish this whole issue of people calling foul or saying its fixed every two seconds in this sport stops next year. It has been a bit pathetic and bitter this season.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
I do understand it, I said that's what I first thought happened because Glock drifted unusually wide on the turn.

And anyway, what if Glock and Hamilton were best mates...

Your post below was made at 10:17 this morning so I assumed, and still do, that you think Glock let Hamilton through in some underhand way...you were wrong this morning and are still wrong this afternoon.

......The fact Glock's not a McLaren driver compounds the dubiousness of the win. That's assuming he did let him pass after all, which I'm thinking he did.
I have no idea what you are on about them being best mates. :houllier:

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Lewis Hamilton (McLaren)

"Honestly, I did not know if we had when I crossed the line. I was thinking 'shoot!' I am just not sure - have I done enough? Did we get it?

"And they told me and I felt just ecstatic. We had made it. You can forget everything else that has happened before now. This is the best and it was the toughest race of my life.

"I have to thank everyone, my Dad, my family, my fans and supporters back home and the team. It would be great to do it again in the future, but I am not sure if my heart can take that final lap all over again."

Felipe Massa (Ferrari )

"It has been such an emotional day for me, I drove a perfect race and everything went to well.

"Then the rain came at the end again and I knew what was happening. We thought it was going to happen and it almost did, then I saw Lewis passing Timo Glock and I suddenly had such a lot of emotions.

"I was so emotional, but I am proud of the team, of my team, my family, the people here today and the whole season and the championship. It is one more day of my life, Lewis has won it and I am going to learn from this."

Timo Glock (Toyota)

"I was on dry tyres at the end of the race when it was raining quite badly and it was just impossible on the last lap. I was fighting as hard as I could but it was so difficult to just keep the car on the track and I lost positions right at the end of the lap. Finishing in the top six is a decent result for me because I'd been struggling with the car earlier in the weekend but we were very close to fourth place so I am a bit disappointed."

"It's the end of my first season with Toyota and I'm happy with it as a whole. It was not easy for me early on but we improved the car a lot and I also improved myself during the year. Since Hockenheim it's been positive for me; beating my target of 20 points and finishing on the podium as well is a good achievement. Now we have to work even harder for next year to make another step forward."

Sebastian Vettel (Toro Rosso)

"It was a difficult and chaotic race and it's great to end the season on a high with this fourth place," he said. "I didn't make any mistakes and I feel we deserved this result, even if I was hoping for a podium. It was great to be racing against Massa, Alonso and Hamilton. Great fun!

"Towards the end, I was concentrating on staying on the track and I didn't know where I was in terms of position and I just tried to pass Lewis like any other guy and I succeeded. I passed Timo just at the last corner, as he was struggling on dry tyres. Lewis was behind me at that moment, but as I wasn't sure where I was after the final pit stop for rain tyres, I was definitely not aware that I might be influencing the world championship.

"It was hard to know who was a backmarker or not and as it got darker and darker it was even difficult to know who the cars in front of you were. The important thing is that I scored five points. It's been a fantastic season."

Fernando Alonso (Renault)

"I am very happy with this second place. The conditions were difficult but we were able to take advantage of them. We did our maximum, the team made the right decisions at the right times, and I managed to keep Raikkonen behind me until the finish. It's a fantastic result for the team and a great way to end the season.

Nelson Piquet (Renault)

"I don't really know what happened: if I was touched or if I simply lost control of the car, but I couldn't see that much and I lost the rear of my car in turn 3. It's really frustrating not to complete my home Grand Prix because a lot of things happened in the race and we could probably have taken advantage of them. But we should not look back and I want to thank the team for their support this weekend."

Adrian Sutil (Force India)

"I think it was a good finish for this season - at least we could see the chequered flag. We had two cars behind us too, which was a good effort. It was quite difficult at the beginning to get the strategy right with the tyre choice. We started on the intermediates and then went back to drys and it worked out quite well for us. On the first set we had a lot of graining but the second was quite alright. We gambled at the end with the extreme wets as it was very dark and looked like it would rain very heavily. The rain didn't come soon enough though and we struggled, but overall we did the maximum we could."

Giancarlo Fisichella (Force India)

"It was an exciting race, with so many things happening. It was a good decision to go to the dry tyres after the Safety Car came out and then it was looking very good. This part of the race was fantastic, even though it was very difficult through the first part of the circuit. Turns one and two were particularly bad, almost undriveable, but the rest of the circuit wasn't too bad as there was a dry line. The lap time was getting much better, then for a while I was in the first three and was keeping a good pace."

"Unfortunately in the first pit stop I had a problem with the clutch and dropped right back. In both stops there was no clutch and I lost a lot. In the rain at the end we tried to gamble with the extreme tyres as there was nothing to lose. Despite the result though it was an incredible start to the race and we can be pleased with the performance."

Mark Webber (Red Bull)

"The car was pretty difficult to drive today. We had a long middle stint, but the pace wasn't there and I struggled. We knew some of the problems we had from practice and we tried to cater for those in the race, but in the end most of them were still there. It's disappointing to finish ninth."

David Coulthard (Red Bull)

"I'm pretty gutted, it's not how I wanted to end my career. I took a cautious approach into Turn one and left plenty of space for the car on the inside, but unfortunately I think Rosberg hit me though Turn two, which spun me round. I thought it would be okay, but then Nakajima ran into the front of my car and took off the front corner. I felt good on the warm up laps going to the grid, I had no problem with it being wet and I wanted to get to the chequered flag. I was going to do some doughnuts for the crowd, which is something you normally get fined for, but it didn't work out."

"I can't complain though, I've had a good career, so thank you to everyone who has supported me. Thank you also to the efforts of every member of the Red Bull Racing team for the last four years, which have been a lot of fun, I look forward to continuing to work with them in the future. I've been overwhelmed by the level of support I've had from the paddock this weekend, it means a great deal to me that so many people have taken the time to say 'nice career and good luck with the future'. And, in the absence of a World Championship, I think if I can leave with that, then that's a good ending."

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
He's never struck me as that arrogant either to be fair

This stuff about bottling it is a nonsense too. He'd done everything he needed too in tough conditions today, it took a last minute rain shower to give Massa a chance by virtue of the Glock gamble, and ultimately it was a gamble that failed

I'm listening to the Five Live podcast, and listening to Damon Hill is probably the first time this has all sunk in. I'm quite emotional, it's a fantastic achievement. The youngest ever World Champion. And for those who care about colour, the first black World Champion

Massa is a nice guy, and I feel sorry for him. But he's made his name today, when he looks back this will be a defining point in his career. No longer can people say he isn't World Championship material, and under the biggest pressure he did everything he needed too. He'll be a hero in Brazil for this

Hehe, I remember back to what I was doing at the end now. I was grabbing hold of my poor missus for dear life, shouting "Is that Glock, is that Glock" in a frantic nutter fashion! :)
This is what I don't get Brad, he's as much white as he is black so why is he then considered a "black" driver?

B Cantona

Desperate
This is what I don't get Brad, he's as much white as he is black so why is he then considered a "black" driver?
I think the lack of anyone even talking about it shows how far we've progressing on such matters actually. We're looking beyond the colour of a persons skin, it simply doesn't matter. And that's great to see. I only mentioned it in passing earlier, for those who might have been interested

CrazyBelgian

Massa told Toyota personal not to wear their team clothing when leaving the circuit... I think that's a nice gesture. I wouldn't even be thinking about anyone else right after I lost a championship in the final corner.

I'm looking forward to the duel between Vettel and Hamilton in a season or 2. Two great drivers and not afraid to overtake.

Now lets get the 2009 season started. :D Can't wait, less downforce, slicks, KERS, it's going to be great.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Steady drive by Lewis...lucky win. Almost like the scousers fluking their last CL victory. He has been the best driver all season and deserves to win the title. Although a few commentators did say that Massa deserves the title since he won more races.

If Vettel were in a half decent car like a BMW, he would have won the drivers championship. If he were in a Ferrari or McClaren, he might have won the title with a few races to spare.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Hamilton set to become the richest sports personality

By becoming the first black driver to claim the title, it is estimated that Hamilton will now command an income from salary and commercial sponsorships that will add up to over £100m per annum.

That eclipses the £31 million that David Beckham earned last year, retired basketball player Michael Jordan's £28 million per year and even surpassing the £72 million earned this year by Tiger Woods, who is currently the highest-earning sportsman in the world.

Sport's top earners after Hamilton's win:

Lewis Hamilton:
Motorsport - McLaren £100m (potential)

Tiger Woods:
Golf - £72m

David Beckham:
Football - LA Galaxy, £31m

Michael Jordan:
Basketball - £28m

Phil Mickelson:
Golf - £28m

Kimi Raikkonen:
Motorsport - Ferrari £27m

Kobe Bryant:
Basketball - LA Lakers £24m

LeBron James:
Basketball - Cleveland Cavaliers £23.5m

Ronaldinho:
Football - AC Milan £23m

Roger Federer:
Tennis - £21m

TheRedFlag

Not feeling himself tonight
Yes, very sporting.
Are you being serious? :houllier:

What the feck does what I think have to do with English sport fans?

FACT, hamilton should have had this won a long time ago. but for some very dodgy decision making by the stewards.

FACT. The Brazilian fans were unsporting prats yesterday.

Had it been the other way round and Massa won in Britain, then the decency of British sporting fans would have shone through, yes we get behind our sportsmen, look at Wimbledon, Rugby Union, Cricket and even F1 with Schumacher (and his history with one of our favourite sporting heroes Damon Hill) if our players lose we always applaud the victors.

FACT. Those who are anti-Hamilton are the biggest losers in Motorsport.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Are you being serious? :houllier:

What the feck does what I think have to do with English sport fans?

FACT, hamilton should have had this won a long time ago. but for some very dodgy decision making by the stewards.

FACT. The Brazilian fans were unsporting prats yesterday.

Had it been the other way round and Massa won in Britain, then the decency of British sporting fans would have shone through, yes we get behind our sportsmen, look at Wimbledon, Rugby Union, Cricket and even F1 with Schumacher (and his history with one of our favourite sporting heroes Damon Hill) if our players lose we always applaud the victors.

FACT. Those who are anti-Hamilton are the biggest losers in Motorsport.
Tbf, the english always hated Schumacher...

tintedsepia

Has Kubica spoke out yet about what the hell he was doing there yet? He wasn't in the points, he had no chance of getting any points being a lap down, why was he getting involved with the Championship protagonists who he was a lap behind at that point? There's no question his move aided Vettals quest to pass Hamilton

These accusations about Glock are idiotic, and the poor lad doesn't deserve it. He took a gamble that gave Massa any chance of winning the title whatsoever. If he pits for intermediates like everyone else, he'd have been nowhere near getting involved, and Hamilton could have afforded to let Vettal take him and coast to Championship victory. Obviously the gamble was he could get to the finish before the cars that pitted for the right tyres could catch him. In a sense his gamble worked, because it gained him what 20 odd seconds or so, however far behind Hamilton he was before it rained. But he didn't have enough to prevent Hamilton overtaking him. Everyone claiming some fix is making themselves look an utter prat, and we'll know for future when these folk speak out that they actually don't have a clue what they're talking about
Perfectly put

tintedsepia

Steady drive by Lewis...lucky win. Almost like the scousers fluking their last CL victory. He has been the best driver all season and deserves to win the title. Although a few commentators did say that Massa deserves the title since he won more races.
Only won more races due to judges gifting him an undeserved victoroy in Belgium!

Tx

Count Duckula

You've got to laugh that it was the absolute lack of famed "Ferrari reliability" that stopped Massa winning that championship. Even if you give Hamilton all the points back that the stewards took away from him Massa would still have won if his car and team hadn't consistently let him down.

Still, it's a team game, and Ferrari failed. Disgusting to see them still lifting the constructor's trophy when their driver, who they'd constantly let down, was left second in the driver's.

Hamilton probably deserved it, though. He is the better driver.

mjs020294

Hamilton probably deserved it, though. He is the better driver.
He is but its very close. I thought Hamilton was going to dominate like Schumaker but the depth of talent developing at the top is quite staggering. I have watched F1 for about three decades and I can't remember such a promising young group.