The F1 Thread 2008 Season

B Cantona

Desperate
I like how people react on here because allot of there defence in disliking him cause he is very arrogant. Well he is the champion now does he have the right now to be arrogant like Fed, Nadal, Alonso, Ronaldo and so on.
He's never struck me as that arrogant either to be fair

This stuff about bottling it is a nonsense too. He'd done everything he needed too in tough conditions today, it took a last minute rain shower to give Massa a chance by virtue of the Glock gamble, and ultimately it was a gamble that failed

I'm listening to the Five Live podcast, and listening to Damon Hill is probably the first time this has all sunk in. I'm quite emotional, it's a fantastic achievement. The youngest ever World Champion. And for those who care about colour, the first black World Champion

Massa is a nice guy, and I feel sorry for him. But he's made his name today, when he looks back this will be a defining point in his career. No longer can people say he isn't World Championship material, and under the biggest pressure he did everything he needed too. He'll be a hero in Brazil for this

Hehe, I remember back to what I was doing at the end now. I was grabbing hold of my poor missus for dear life, shouting "Is that Glock, is that Glock" in a frantic nutter fashion! :)

VP

I can understand the English supporting Hamilton. Do people really feel a genuine affection towards a team in F1? The notion of supporting a car is a bit weird to me.

Leg-End

Hehe, I remember back to what I was doing at the end now. I was grabbing hold of my poor missus for dear life, shouting "Is that Glock, is that Glock" in a frantic nutter fashion! :)
:lol: That's magic. I honestly thought he had lost it but then when Glock just appeared it was like when Terry missed that penalty.

Your right about Massa though, he is now a contender and will be considered one until he finishes BUT I can't help but feel this may have been his biggest oppurtunity and one he may not get again, same for Hamilton. There are some really good drivers on the grid now and 2009 is a mouth watering prospect.

Rudie

Mentary
:lol::lol::lol: Some people in this thread that would put the bitters to shame, Hamilton won, get over it, worthy winner, get the feck in!

TheRedFlag

Not feeling himself tonight
YES feckING GET IN. :D

I'd just like to say a big feck you to the Brazilian fans in attendance today.

feck YOU AND feck YOUR BOOING YOU UNSPORTING PRATS.

I'd also like to say a big feck YOU to all the anti hamilton twats.

feck YOU

I'd also like to say a big feck YOU to all the stewards who tried their best to prevent Hamilton from winning the championship.

feck YOU

CantonasWife

Queen B
I felt a bid bad for Brad, with Swedish commentators he couldn't understand that it was Glock. And because he was shouting in my ear I couldn't hear what the commentators were saying either. To be fair I don't think Brad had a clue about what was going on the last 10 seconds. He was just panicking.

Nutter :)

TheRedFlag

Not feeling himself tonight
Also why is it that my sporting favourites always come THIS close to defeat yet ultimately prevail?

stop giving me a fecking heart attack. I'm going to die young at this rate.

VP

YES feckING GET IN. :D

I'd just like to say a big feck you to the Brazilian fans in attendance today.

feck YOU AND feck YOUR BOOING YOU UNSPORTING PRATS.
:rolleyes:

Yes English fans would never boo anyone.

B Cantona

Desperate
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7705325.stm

Good read, have a watch of the clip at the bottom, Damon Hill is the most humble world champion you will ever find, great man.
:lol: Poor Damon had even less of a clue than I did! He's still my all time favourite, wonderful guy and I guess he was who I grew up with. Be good if the BBC used him next season in their coverage

To be fair listening to the F1 Five Live podcast, it sounds like they called Massa the Championship winner as Hamilton crossed the line, they seemed to be making excuses about missing it

Leg-End

BBC with Hill, Coulthard, and Brundle please :) I suppose his BRDC commitments makes it impossible though. Just thought british F1 broadcasting switching to a different channel, their last race was Suzuka 1996 when Damon Hill took the title and Murray had a lump in his throat. History repeats.

muller

is Hamiltons brother disabled?
Yes, he has cerebral palsy. He has extreme trouble walking, but an operation a few years ago to help this. Lewis has often spoke of his brother being his inspiration, and the only person who can always make him smile. (Nicholas is his name by the way).

muller

Just watched the highlights again on ITV. fecking amazing. Nicoles reaction was priceless too. She was so happy she just didn't know what to do with herself. Was jumping, sprinting a bit, standing, screaming, praying, was lovely to see in a world of sham celebrity marriages.

I hope he has had a great night tonight, he is an amazing person with a fantastic base around him. And an amazingly fit girlfriend.

M13

Reserve Team Player
Just watched the highlights again on ITV. fecking amazing. Nicoles reaction was priceless too. She was so happy she just didn't know what to do with herself. Was jumping, sprinting a bit, standing, screaming, praying, was lovely to see in a world of sham celebrity marriages.

I hope he has had a great night tonight, he is an amazing person with a fantastic base around him. And an amazingly fit girlfriend.

To be quite honest, I thought she was an absolute prick today, instantly jumping out into the limelight into the flash of the cameras.

I still would though :drool:

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
For some reason, after watching F1 all my life, I'm suddenly neutral to who I want to win. I'm happy for Hamilton in a way yet sad for Massa in another. Funny as feck watching them celebrate when they hadn't won though.

Last 10 laps were something I'll never forget - I thought he'd fecking bottled it! It was great entertainment. In fact, generally the whole season has been, which is a good sign as F1 went into a little lull for a while a few years back.

Anyway, well done Hamilton, thoroughly deserved, and winning it will make his all round driving better - just don't start another one man era again a la Schumacher. It could well happen but there are some talented drivers further back on the grid with Vettal, Kubica, and Alonso.

PS. That gif is pretty funny - first thing I though of happening!

Count Duckula

I'm looking forward to next year already :D By the end of this season I was able to look upon this season with an uncritical eye (I hope!). Brad'll tell you how much I disliked Hamilton at the start, but I've since realised that I don't have to like him to respect his racing prowess. And I certainly don't support him, but that doesn't make me a Ferrari fanboy, either.

I think it's a shame that both sides of the fence have been a little classless at the death, with Ferrari fans crying foul (rather pathetically), and McLaren fans jeering at the family of an incredibly gentlemanly sportsman who has probably just experienced the most crippling disappointment of his life (Weaste's unwelcome -- but sadly not unexpected -- arrogance, unpleasantness and overuse of exclamation marks a case-in-point). It's slightly tarnished what has been a very, very good season of Formula One.

One thing I would point out to those claiming that Hamilton should have had this weeks ago were he not unlucky with stewards decisions is that Massa would have had it tied up before that if he'd not been so unlucky with his car and pit crew fecking up. That said, both counts of misfortune cancelled each other out, and I think it's about right that it came down to the last race of the season. Hamilton is a worthy, worthy champion, and I'm happy for him, though at the same time so sad for Massa. I'd probably be the other way round had their roles been reversed.

Only thing I can say now is that I already can't wait for next season. Hamilton finally has the win under his belt and will be raring to go (and surely the favourite), Massa may have a point to prove (though I honestly don't think he'll ever put up such a consistent title challenge again), Raikkonen will hopefully have snapped out of his stupor and become world championship material again, Vettel is stepping up to what could be a very good car (Newey powered, and with the rule changes it might be just what Red Bull need), Kubica has been plodding along nicely and will only improve, and, of course, my man Fernando will hopefully be back in a decent car and battling for the title. I think he's shown his class towards the end of this season with his consistently high finished despite the inferior car (James Alan even found the time to refer to him as "pound-for-pound still the best racing driver in Formula One" amongst the euphoria).

The rule changes for next season might be a great equaliser. I don't expect McLaren and Ferrari to be so far ahead of their competitors with such drastic alterations to the car designs enforced. And with such an even spread of talent (those six drivers I mentioned race for five different teams!) I expect it to be even better than this year.

Bring it on :D

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A bad day for Ferrari is like a bad day for Liverpool IMO

And why do Brits prefer heroic losers to confident winners?

Swerny

Poster originally known MS MSP
My first thought was that Glock had fixed the result.

The fact the ITV morons (Allen and Brundle) forgot all about Glock in the first place and kept compunding their errors with comments on the last lap like "Glock has a 15 second lead, he can tiptoe home" made it worse.

I had forgotten that Glock had fueled to the end with 30 laps to go, meaning not only was he on dry tires in the wet, but basically bald dry tires by the last lap.

I was impressed by Massa with his performance all weekend, even after losing. Very gracious in defeat and I'm glad he's signed for next year.

Fair play to Hamilton for winning the title. I still don't like him but he won fair and square.

I still find it shocking that McLaren almost managed to feck it all up again.

Knowing he had to only finish 5th, why didn't they just go for the podium to be sure?

Not necessarily to go for the race win, but finish top 3 and you're home safe.

Had it not rained as much the final lap, Massa would have been champion.

To think that they won the championship due to the rain is madness.

As for 2009, I hope Raikkonnen wakes up and drives like he's capable of.

I hope Ross Brawn can work his magic for Honda.

Here's hoping Red Bull find some more speed and that Renault find another gear.

It should be a great season.

mjs020294

Had it not rained as much the final lap, Massa would have been champion.

To think that they won the championship due to the rain is madness.
hmmmmmm....wasn't Hamilton comfortably in 5th when the rain started and everyone dived in the pits apart from Glock?

McClaren didn't win because of rain.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
What an extraordinary finish.

When I heard on the news that Hamilton won, due to someone dropping a place for him to pass I figured it was within the last few laps. Me and my mate youtube'd it at Uni, and saw Vettel taking Hamilton on and even pulling away, only for Glock to let him pass before the last turn! AND HE'S NOT EVEN A MCLAREN!

:eek:

Absolutely amazing stuff, Massa and Ferrari must be LIVID.

It's a bit of a hollow victory, really.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
For some reason, after watching F1 all my life, I'm suddenly neutral to who I want to win. I'm happy for Hamilton in a way yet sad for Massa in another. Funny as feck watching them celebrate when they hadn't won though.

Last 10 laps were something I'll never forget - I thought he'd fecking bottled it! It was great entertainment. In fact, generally the whole season has been, which is a good sign as F1 went into a little lull for a while a few years back.

Anyway, well done Hamilton, thoroughly deserved, and winning it will make his all round driving better - just don't start another one man era again a la Schumacher. It could well happen but there are some talented drivers further back on the grid with Vettal, Kubica, and Alonso.

PS. That gif is pretty funny - first thing I though of happening!
Felt fecking sorry for his dad.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
On a side note, wish I was a fecking F1 driver.

Not only is it the coolest sport, you'd also be fecking mega rich, get to race around in the best cars, would have hotto lady-friends and would have been born with a sweet name.

Stemmy

On a side note, wish I was a fecking F1 driver.

Not only is it the coolest sport, you'd also be fecking mega rich, get to race around in the best cars, would have hotto lady-friends and would have been born with a sweet name.
Ahh don't be like that, cesc's mullet is a very pretty name:smirk:

On topic though....Congratualations to Lewis....definately the best driver over the championship won it in the end.

I heard it was bloody close though....Commiserations to Massa.

Addict

Glock didn't let him pass ffs. If he wanted to let Hamilton pass him he would have pitted for wet tyres.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Ahh don't be like that, cesc's mullet is a very pretty name:smirk:

On topic though....Congratualations to Lewis....definately the best driver over the championship won it in the end.

I heard it was bloody close though....Commiserations to Massa.
It was absolutely amazing stuff, as Massa passed the line Vettel, Glock, and Hamilton were rounding the second last turn, where Glock floats wide and Hamilton passes to take the fifth position, just enough to get him ONE POINT over the line in the overall standing.

Here it is, the last 5 minutes. Absolutely fantastic viewing:

tintedsepia

John Terry is a very hatable person, the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch, the fact that he put himself into the position to be the hero, the way he kept playing with his captain's armband etc Like I said when I mentioned Alonso, he set himself up for that and deserved everything he got.

Massa, on the other hand, has conducted himself impecably, and been nothing but gracious in defeat. So why people feel the need to laugh at him is beyond me. Like I said, if Massa had been twatish about it all or done something to upset Hamilton's fans (i.e Alonso) then yes he would be deserving of a good deal of laughter, but the face is he hasn't. Why not just celebrate Hamilton's win?
You seem to be making the assumption that people are laughing at Massa and his family because of who they are.

They aren't.

It doesn't matter if it is the family or his pit crew. I actually didn't know it was his family. But I laughed at the moment to relieve the high tension in that lap which delivered the championship with only seconds to go.

I then latterly understood that it was Massa and his family - and that they are decent people. This wasn't a "feck Off Massa" kind of laughter though. Merely a comic situation with both crews having thought they won the championsip - and because my man won - it was funny.

Nothing sinister here!