The F1 Thread 2008 Season

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Funny enough I havent......
Try carting in the rain, its lethal. You spend most of the race facing backwards. Its great fun though as you're concentration levels are literally maxing out. If you drive too slow your tyre temperature goes down and you lose even more grip, go to fast and you are constantly losing the back and fighting to keep it on the road. Having downforce in the wet is so important, you need all the help you can get to find the grip.

Thats one of the reasons why Hamilton struggled all race, he was setup for speed whereas the Ferraris had alot more downforce and therefore sacrificed speed. If the race was dry the Mercedes would have been far faster, but due to poor grip levels with the rain washign off the rubber having downforce was the critical thing.

Brilliant race though, I really did think Hamilton had bolloxed it.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Yes, me too.

I can see it now..

"I had dry tyres on a wet track"

Cant wait.

And don't you think it might just be the case that slicks on a wet track are not the best tyres to be on. :houllier:

vanthaman

Winner
trulli probably didnt have lots of cars around him on the hill, there was a back marker or 2 just ahead of Glock, trulli may not have had any spray ahead of him

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
You do realise when Hamilton overtook him Glock was out on the marbles as a result, on dry tires, uphill, in the wet.
Glock waving them by basically!

Overall I thought last year was hard to top, but this year was quite something else!

Before I head to sleep, have to say I think Alonso has been the driver of the season after Hamilton choked today and Massa making too many mistakes over the course of the season. Hopefully he'll pose more of a challenge with Raikkonen next year. Was going to include Kubica but he just astonished me with his driving during the final few laps!

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Jesus Christ, Hamilton did this in his last race, and nobody said anything. He unlapped himself because if he does that, he can score points if anything happens after the race.
Its obvious judging by some of these posts that some of these users aren't Formula 1 regulars so be kind :p

M13

Reserve Team Player
And don't you think it might just be the case that slicks on a wet track are not the best tyres to be on. :houllier:
I cannot believe this, from everyone. Not remember Spa, when they were all racing, really slowly, on drys in the wet? And Raikonnen span off? A compromise has to be met, and that's racing. If Glock had gone off to change tyres, Hamilton would have been in front of him anyway.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
What strikes me more than anything in this thread, is how any of you can call yourself Ferrari fans? Or, are you fans from the glory days? :lol:

Congratulations go to Hamilton, and commiserations to a very worthy Massa.
I've been a Ferrari fan from around 1996. My dad used to take me along, and he was a Ferrari fan, so just like in Football (Passion often trickles down the family), I then became a supporter.

Been to around 20 odd races around the world!

muller

Sorry, was sarcasm. Dont know if that came across or not.

I meant it in the way that people are claiming conspiracy theories, when there blatantly is none. Glock explaining himself would be that.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Overall I thought last year was hard to top, but this year was quite something else!

Before I head to sleep, have to say I think Alonso has been the driver of the season after Hamilton choked today and Massa making too many mistakes over the course of the season. Hopefully he'll pose more of a challenge with Raikkonen next year. Was going to include Kubica but he just astonished me with his driving during the final few laps!
Kubica did nothing special except pit for wet tyres a few laps earlier. His tyres were upto temperature and therefore had alot more grip than anyone else. Same thing happened at Spa, can't remember which driver it was but they picked up 5 places in the final lap. It was his gamble to go into the pits early for tyres that helped him achieve that. Even though he was a lap down.

Leg-End

I was explaining why his last sector was 3 seconds slower than his team mate.

Hamilton choked :lol: WORLD CHAMPION.

M13

Reserve Team Player
I've been a Ferrari fan from around 1996. My dad used to take me along, and he was a Ferrari fan, so just like in Football, I then became a supporter.

Been to around 20 odd races around the world!
That's fair enough, but when there's an English driver in a British car, they deserve support, just like the English football team, and there are so many Ferrari fanboys in this thread.

That's amazing, I've never been to one.. I can't imagine you see all that much...

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Jesus Christ, Hamilton did this in his last race, and nobody said anything. He unlapped himself because if he does that, he can score points if anything happens after the race.
I just feel he shouldn't have got involved. Anyway didn't Hamilton win his last race?

M13

Reserve Team Player
I just feel he shouldn't have got involved. Anyway didn't Hamilton win his last race?
I'm not too sure if it was his last race, but he did it once in the last few.

It's not a matter of 'getting involved.' It's about that race, that moment, and that opportunity to pass another driver. You do it, because it's your job to do the best that you can.

starman

Wow, the negatively is incredible, 95% percentage of the posters on here are always looking to criticise, its really cringe worthy at time especially when they want to be taken seriously.

Had Glock held on there would have been the excess posts of Hamilton's shits, overrated etc similar to that in the match day forum, however Hamilton does what he needs, in somewhat dramatically fashion and people are going on about a fix :rolleyes:

If anyone knows about racing, especially F1 cars where the cars can reach in excess of 200mph, if they are not using the optimal tyres for the conditions the detrimental effects will be huge as demonstrated today.

I personally don't care who won, but until I stuck a bet on Hamilton 2 laps from the end and then bagged myself 70 quid 2 minutes later I was obviously rooting him in the end. So for that Hamilton, I thank you!! :D

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Sorry, was sarcasm. Dont know if that came across or not.

I meant it in the way that people are claiming conspiracy theories, when there blatantly is none. Glock explaining himself would be that.
Ahh OK....missed the sarcasm. Not sure Glock needs to explain anything.

Bitter anti Hamilton/McClaren fans need to move on and celebrate a great Ferrari Team world championship. Big respect for Massa in the way he handled a very hard to take defeat.

Should be a great 2009.

zing

Zingle balls
Much like the abuse, gifs, websites, you tube videos etc Hamilton has endured for over 1 and half seasons. feck that, time for the Hamilton fans to have payback.
You make it sound like Massa himself was making gifs and uploading youtube videos.

Laughing at ferrari's alright, but Massa took it ridiculously well. Respect.

Paddy

paddyf091

Thats fairly conclusive I think. Clearly not a fix. This has still ruined my weekend though.

He accumulated the most points over the season so he did deserve it.

Fck off you prick.
Won less races than Massa, so its arguable.

No reason for all the laughing at Massa's family either. Hate Ferrari if you want but why laugh at them? He appeared to have won the World Championship, and suddenly they realized he hadn't. Why is that gif so hilarious?

Leg-End

You make it sound like Massa himself was making gifs and uploading youtube videos.

I know he did, I commented further back that he did. But anyone who wants to laugh can because the amount of Ferrari/Alonso fanboy posts I have had to read through the past 2 seasons makes today all the more worth it :D

Paddy

paddyf091
classless
Much like the abuse, gifs, websites, you tube videos etc Hamilton has endured for over 1 and half seasons. feck that, time for the Hamilton fans to have payback.

Agree with everything zing said here.

Leg-End did you not see yesterday when Massa shh-ed the crowd when they booed Hamilton. Has he done anything to deserve you laughing at him and his family? Much the fecking opposite so don't be a dick with crap like 'payback'.

mjs020294

What makes me laugh is people coming on the site of the ENGLISH champions and expecting people not to support the ENGLISH driver.

If you want to bash Hamilton or suck on Massa's jock, then find a more appropriate site.

Leg-End

Agree with everything zing said here.

Leg-End did you not see yesterday when Massa shh-ed the crowd when they booed Hamilton. Has he done anything to deserve you laughing at him and his family? Much the fecking opposite so don't be a dick with crap like 'payback'.
I will laugh at who I want, I bet you wernt laughing at John Terry was you? feck off mate, I have been waiting for this day for 12 years and it makes it all the more sweeter to see reactions of fanboys. Special one for you :lol:

Paddy

paddyf091
What makes me laugh is people coming on the site of the ENGLISH champions and expecting people not to support the ENGLISH driver.

If you want to bash Hamilton or suck on Massa's jock, then find a more appropriate site.
'Support' is fine.

Laughing at the opposition's family for not being related to a winner isn't so cool.

Go suck a jock.

Paddy

paddyf091
I will laugh at who I want, I bet you wernt laughing at John Terry was you? feck off mate, I have been waiting for this day for 12 years and it makes it all the more sweeter to see reactions of fanboys. Special one for you :lol:
I didn't laugh at John Terry's family for not being related to a winner. Plus, JT is a nobhead. What's Massa done?

You've been waiting for a Hamilton win for 12 years?

mjs020294

'Support' is fine.

Laughing at the opposition's family for not being related to a winner isn't so cool.

Go suck a jock.
Not laughing at Massa's family, they are nice people, class.

Laughing at the timing, and circumstances. Nearly every joke I have ever heard or funny video I have watched involves a laugh at someones expense.

Deal with it you over sensitive baby.

vanthaman

Winner
I didn't laugh at John Terry's family for not being related to a winner. Plus, JT is a nobhead. What's Massa done?

John Terrys family didnt do anything that funny so why would you.

and i hardly think people were laughing at them not being related to a winner, more to the fact that they celebrated Massa winning when Hamilton had won

this was almost as funny as when Cassano scored that goal in euro 2004 and during celebrating realised Italy were knocked out

Leg-End

Waiting for a British winner for 12 years.

Massa's family can be laughed at because they basically did not wait for the race to end, they should know better. The internet would be littered with Hamilton family gifs if he had lost it.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Feel sorry for Massa he seems a really good guy but the celebrations are funny in a john terry penalty miss kind of way.

B Cantona

Desperate
Won less races than Massa, so its arguable.
Well no, one of Massa's 'wins' is the one he inherited from Spa, which was actually a Hamilton victory. That said I remember an earlier race in the season when Massa had a mechanical problem that cost him the race win with 3 laps to go. Then again Hamilton has had his bad luck too

Ferrari fans won't like it, but there have been bizarre and downright ridiculous decisions in Massa's favour and against hamilton. But for those, this wouldn't have even come down to today. The dangerous pit lane exit decision in Valencia, and the decision to penalise Bourdais coming out of the pit lane are the chief examples. I think Hamilton being docked in Spa was nonsense too. Massa was nowhere in that race and got a race victort gifted to him by the powers that be

But it's all done and dusted now. Hamilton was victorious, he did what he needed too. A fantastic achievement, the youngest ever Formula 1 Championship victor. Here's to many more Lewis :D

vanthaman

Winner
what annoys me is he has won the title, but we havent been able to see him lift the trophy, rediculous planning that, and we havent seen a press conference with him.