The foreign country(s) most closely linked to every PL club

RashyForPM

Thought this would be an interesting idea for a thread.

For example, we are linked to Portugal because of Bruno, Ronaldo and Nani. Arsenal are linked to France because of all their French players through Wenger’s era. West Ham, I’d actually link them to Czech Republic due to Miklosko, Coufal, Soucek etc.

Then, you have Chelsea and Russia for obvious off-the-pitch reasons, and City to UAE as well.

Anyone got more to add? Obviously, a club can be linked to more than one country too.

Minkaro

West Brom have had a lot of Irish players. Reid, McAuley, Kiely, Brunt, Evans, O’Shea, Long, Andrews, to name a few off the top of my head.

Siorac

West Brom have had a lot of Irish players. Reid, McAuley, Kiely, Brunt, Evans, O’Shea, Long, Andrews, to name a few off the top of my head.
Pretty much every English club has had lots of Irish players though, no?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Man United: Scotland. Sir Alex Ferguson, Sir Matt Busby, Dennis Law. The 2 biggest legends in the club's history and a Ballon D'or winner who is part of the Holy Trinity.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I always associate Newcastle with a lot of big physical African players, which often have the French nationality.. Not sure if just a weird feeling of football or valid observation though..

Dante

Average bang
National team representatives for Manchester United in the Premier League era.

NationTotal
England
80​
Netherlands
12​
France
12​
Scotland
8​
Northern Ireland
7​
Brazil
7​
Argentina
6​
Spain
6​
Portugal
6​
Wales
6​
Republic of Ireland
5​

https://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeClubNationalities?comp_code=EPL&club_id=3

Although France and the Netherlands are on level pegging, I'd give the edge to France. They had more of an influence on us through our best periods.

Cal?

CR7 fan

NationTotal
England
80​
Netherlands
12​
France
12​
Scotland
8​
Northern Ireland
7​
Brazil
7​
Argentina
6​
Spain
6​
Portugal
6​
Wales
6​
Republic of Ireland
5​

https://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeClubNationalities?comp_code=EPL&club_id=3

Although France and the Netherlands are on level pegging, I'd give the edge to France. They had more of an influence on us through our best periods.
Portugal have had a huge influence on United too

Dante

Average bang
Portugal have had a huge influence on United too
Ronaldo, Bruno, Nani, Dalot, Bebe, Joel Pereira... to a degree.

Cantona, Evra, Pogba, Saha, Martial, Barthez, Silvestre, Blanc, Obertan, Bellion, Schneiderlin, Prunier... have had more.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not one country but we've had a nice run of Scandinavian players over last 25 years....Mellberg, Laursen and Carew all huge crowd favourites and very good players...less so guys like Peter Enckleman, Nyland and Nicklas Helenius though. :lol:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We also had Quieroz as a hugely influential assistant manager.

But also the Dutch Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy, Stam, Van der Sar, some hugely influential names.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ronaldo, Bruno, Nani, Dalot, Bebe, Joel Pereira... to a degree.

Cantona, Evra, Pogba, Saha, Martial, Barthez, Silvestre, Blanc, Obertan, Bellion, Schneiderlin, Prunier... have had more.
Cantona alone probably outweighs every other nationality

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Chelsea have had a fair few Brazilians over the years, more than most.

Oscar, Ramirez, Luiz, Alex, Phillipe Luis, Willian, Kenedy, Diego Costa, Deco, Pato, Emerson Thome, Jorginho, Emerson Palmieri, Thiago Silva and of course Piazon.

The Original

Any one else think of France when it comes to Newcastle United? It might be totally unwarranted but it is the first thing I thought when I saw the question.
Yes actually I thought of them in that way back in the day. They had a few French players in the early 2000s iirc.

Pughnichi

NationTotal
England
80​
Netherlands
12​
France
12​
Scotland
8​
Northern Ireland
7​
Brazil
7​
Argentina
6​
Spain
6​
Portugal
6​
Wales
6​
Republic of Ireland
5​

can anyone name all 12 Dutch players

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
can anyone name all 12 Dutch players
1 Muhren
2 Cruijff
3 vd Gouw
4 vd Sar
5 van Nistelrooij
6 Donny
7 van Persie
8 Stam
9 Buttner
10 Depay
11 Chong
12 Daley

(forgive my very random order, my brain works in mysterious ways)

lysglimt

Scout
Coventry and Marocco - Chippo, Hadji and Safri - only 3 but there havent been that many players from that country in the P.L

Arsenal and Switzerland - Senderos, Lichsteiner, Xhaka and Djorou - come to think of it, there really have been few Swiss players in the P.L

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Coventry and Marocco - Chippo, Hadji and Safri - only 3 but there havent been that many players from that country in the P.L

Arsenal and Switzerland - Senderos, Lichsteiner, Xhaka and Djorou - come to think of it, there really have been few Swiss players in the P.L
None of those Swiss players had significant impact on Arsenal right for anyone to really associate Arsenal with Switzerland right?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
1 Muhren
2 Cruijff
3 vd Gouw
4 vd Sar
5 van Nistelrooij
6 Donny
7 van Persie
8 Stam
9 Buttner
10 Depay
11 Chong
12 Daley

In that case we have 13 with Fosu-Mensa.

Edit: Im slow and it had been said.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I used to think Hadji was brilliant

Pughnichi

1 Muhren
2 Cruijff
3 vd Gouw
4 vd Sar
5 van Nistelrooij
6 Donny
7 van Persie
8 Stam
9 Buttner
10 Depay
11 Chong
12 Daley

nicely done. I had no clue about Muhrren, didn’t realise buutner was Dutch and somehow forgot about DVB

Oranges038

None of those Swiss players had significant impact on Arsenal right for anyone to really associate Arsenal with Switzerland right?
I always think of France mostly because of the Wenger influence. Henry, Viera, Petit, Anelka etc.

But before that they were largely an English based team in the mid 90s, I know most teams were. You had that back 5 of Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, , Adams and Keown. Then you still had Merson, Platt, Parlour, Bould and Wright. I know a lot of these guys were coming to the end of their careers. There is some difference in the squad make up in Wenger's first few years in terms of nationalities.

RedDevilRoshi

Pretty much every English club has had lots of Irish players though, no?
Not ourselves. We’ve only had 5. Off the top of my head - Roy Keane, John O’Shea, Darron Gibson, Michael Keane & Robbie Brady

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I always think of France mostly because of the Wenger influence. Henry, Viera, Petit, Anelka etc.

But before that they were largely an English based team in the mid 90
s, I know most teams were. You had that back 5 of Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, , Adams and Keown. Then you still had Merson, Platt, Parlour, Bould and Wright. I know a lot of these guys were coming to the end of their careers. There is some difference in the squad make up in Wenger's first few years in terms of nationalities.
I have the same feeling.. Apart from the ones you mention you had Clichy, Gallas, Pires, Wiltord, Aliadiere in that time.. Later Nasri, Squillci, Cocqelin, Diarra, Cigan, Giroud, Sanogo, Koscielny.. Most recent Ghendouzi, Debuchy, Lacazette.. Besides that a lot of African players who (assumption) speak French like Lauren, Toure, Aubameyang, Kany, Pepe etc..

The connection is quite obvious and Wenger is obviously the main reason...

Leeds and Australia with Kewell and Viduka.

Leicester and Thailand with their owner and that sex tape scandal thing.

Tottenham and Croatia with Modrić, Kranjčar, Ćorluka and Pletikosa during Harry's stint.

Fulham and the US with Dempsey, McBride, Bocanegra and some others.