The greatest player ever?

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
I'm watching old footage of DiStefano and Puskas and i was wondering how people feel these players and the likes of Pele would do in the modern game. The game back then was so different that i find it hard to believe they would surpass the likes of C Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane and Fat Ronaldo. Would their natural ability adapt to the modern game or would they struggle with the much higher physical and mental demands due to the fast speed of the game today?

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
their performances will decline due to the highter physical demands imo if you compare them side by side

but you have to take into account they will be training to meet those demands if these players played in this generation so it wouldn't be an issue

I believe Messi is going to be the greatest player ever, I have no doubts about it

Mick1991

They'd have the same advantages that modern players today have such as better training, diet, the huge steps taken forward in sports science etc. They'd adapt perfectly fine, at the end of the day talent is talent.

MacMUFC

I honestly just cant see how anybody could be better than Messi/Ronaldo, purely in terms of technical ability...I know all the old feckers on here will tell me how Maradona/Pele/Best etc did it on bad pitches, big stages yada yada yada.

So i'll just say Maradonna like I normally do purely to avoid a big commotion.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
I honestly just cant see how anybody could be better than Messi/Ronaldo, purely in terms of technical ability...I know all the old feckers on here will tell me how Maradona/Pele/Best etc did it on bad pitches, big stages yada yada yada.

So i'll just say Maradonna like I normally do purely to avoid a big commotion.
...and they never had protection, defenders were giving them kung fu kicks all game

sajeev

Thierry Henry and Ryan Giggs are the best I have ever seen in England.
allowing for age, that is as good a opinion as we are likely to see here
C.Ronaldo, yes but i still have the feeling that stats obscure many of his poor performances (however the 06-07 season from him is one of the best displays of talent and character from any player in the league)

Eriku

The most important attributes are in the head... Positional sense, awareness of team mates and opponents, passing to the right option, applying the right touch on the ball, etc. Since modern football began I reckon the greats would stick out positively today. Maradona... 1.65 tall, obscenely left footed, tackled by Goikotxea in an abhorrent fashion early in his career, and after that incident his left foot would swell so much that he had to use a boot that was two sizes bigger than his right foot, and a devastating lifestyle on the side... Yet he could elevate Napoli the way he did, and lead Argentina the way he did.

He's one of the best cases for theism.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Old footage of Di Stefano reminded me a lot of Zidane. It should be the other way around but I saw a lot more of Zidane first.

buckooo1978

messi wouldnt be the player he is now if he played 20/30 years ago

he'd be kicked to pieces

Alex

The most important attributes are in the head... Positional sense, awareness of team mates and opponents, passing to the right option, applying the right touch on the ball, etc. Since modern football began I reckon the greats would stick out positively today. Maradona... 1.65 tall, obscenely left footed, tackled by Goikotxea in an abhorrent fashion early in his career, and after that incident his left foot would swell so much that he had to use a boot that was two sizes bigger than his right foot, and a devastating lifestyle on the side... Yet he could elevate Napoli the way he did, and lead Argentina the way he did.

He's one of the best cases for theism.
Good point Eriku

Wizard Keyaz

Caf's Confucious
To overcome evil with good is good, to resist evil
allowing for age, that is as good a opinion as we are likely to see here
C.Ronaldo, yes but i still have the feeling that stats obscure many of his poor performances (however the 06-07 season from him is one of the best displays of talent and character from any player in the league)
I don't think Ronaldo will ever mimic that record again in his life time

rotherham_red

Berba's hattrick goal against Blackburn was something like what Di Stefano did in his prime. The closest ive seen to Di Stefano in the modern age is Rooney when he first came to us. A forward who was literally everywhere, equally adept at finishing and starting the moves, and like the Berba goal, did both at the same time!

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Garrincha, Garrincha, Garrincha.

surf

Reading Charlton's 2 autobiographies about his club and international careers, you can tell that he idolised Edwards and Finney, who he played with, and Di Stefano, who he played against. As for Best, my guess is that most people around the world who saw them would say that Garrincha was better - he didn't lose a match with his national team until he was 32 years old and in decline.

davisjw

With this kind of thing it's not fair to ask how the oldies would perform now and use that to compare the two. You have to put Messi and Ronaldo back then and they wouldn't be half as good playing back then during times when tackles were proper tackles, the games was more physical and equipment piss poor with the jerseys, boots and balls. None of this pampering shite players get now. Strikers back then were tanks.. I'd take our Rooney over the other two during that time as he's the only one who could go toe to toe...

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I'm watching old footage of DiStefano and Puskas and i was wondering how people feel these players and the likes of Pele would do in the modern game. The game back then was so different that i find it hard to believe they would surpass the likes of C Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane and Fat Ronaldo. Would their natural ability adapt to the modern game or would they struggle with the much higher physical and mental demands due to the fast speed of the game today?
You have totally ignored the fact that back in their day with shit feeding and scientific methods to keep fit and strong they were miles above almost everyone around physically. While still being incredibly technically gifted. For my money they'd excel in the current generation piss easy. With the superior fitness and better ref protection.