The Home Leg

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I believe whoever scores the first goal will win the match....That first goal will be critical...
I think if munich score first it won't be beyond us but it'll make it extremely tense. I think we'll play one up top and pack the midfield. I don't think Rooney will make it.

If we play like Manchester United we'll win. If we play like Drunken wankers who have never seen a football before in their life, we'll lose. We're the better side but it counts for nothing if you don't turn up.

Rory 7

Lads. We're goners in Europe. Munich will score in OT. Last night was a disaster.

If Barca showed the world how to out-play our midfield last year, then last night Munich showed the world how to out-muscle our midfield.

Our best hope now is to get something against Chelsea on Saturday and concentrate on number 19. I honestly don't think we will progress against Bayern....

vuc

First Team Serb
I can see another Inter type performance from Bayern in the second leg. They will aim to make the game as bitty as possible, however where Chelsea failed in creating chances against Inter I feel United will at least get a goal. Problem is Robben on the counter attack will be very dangerous.

United have to score first IMO.

Rory 7

I can see another Inter type performance from Bayern in the second leg. They will aim to make the game as bitty as possible, however where Chelsea failed in creating chances against Inter I feel United will at least get a goal. Problem is Robben on the counter attack will be very dangerous.

United have to score first IMO.
If we score first yes we have a chance. But I can't see us keeping a clean sheet. I am almost as depressed today after last year's final :(

Adebesi

Assuming Rooney is going to be in seems like a misguided starting off point for this thread. Prudent planning always takes account of worsed case scenarios.

Id go hell for leather:

Back 5, Valencia, Fletcher, Carrick, Nani, Giggs and Berbs.

Thankfully it isnt me making the decision though as no doubt that is tantamount to suicide.

ntripunovski

The most important thing in the second leg will be the fans.... yesterday the support for Bayern was amazing... They were the one who give wings to Bayern.... Just fantastic.... It wold be breath-taking if Old Trafford will make that kind of support or even better if we are much more vocal.... Come on... We can do it but we need 12-th player for that match.. if not I also am afraid of another Chelsea - Inter scenario

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Lads. We're goners in Europe. Munich will score in OT. Last night was a disaster.

If Barca showed the world how to out-play our midfield last year, then last night Munich showed the world how to out-muscle our midfield.

Our best hope now is to get something against Chelsea on Saturday and concentrate on number 19. I honestly don't think we will progress against Bayern....
Deary fecking me! :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'd just like to go on record and say I would be very surprised if we didn't knock Bayern out next week. We're a much better side than we showed last night, we'll be far too good for them at Old Trafford and a one nil result brings home the bacon. Job's a good 'un.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Agreed. I am about as optimistic as I was against City and Roma, having to overturn a 2-1 away defeat.

I would be interested to see the stats from across European competition for teams who qualify after a 2-1 away defeat in the first leg. I'd be surprised if it's under 50%.

MUFCgal

Wow, we might as well send out the Academy then :rolleyes:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

We have to score a goal. That's all. Win 1 nil and it's enough. If they score, we still only have to score twice. At home we should be able to create the chances we need. It would help if the midfield/defenders get their act together mind

Sir A1ex

Yep. This looks the most appropriate line up available from those registered:

Zieler
De Laet
J.Evans
Gill
Fabio
Obertan
Gibson
C.Evans
Norwood
Eikrem
Stewart

...and I would love it if that team beat Bayern and fired us into the semi-finals!:devil:

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
Will be an electric night at OT I think. Hopefully it's similar to Barca 08 when we needed to win. The fans will play a major role I think - everyone knows if we can do these cnuts over then we have a brilliant chance of getting to the final.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I'm with Pogue. I think will win with or without Rooney. We can't possibly play that badly again. Seriously, Bayern weren't that good, we were just terrible and gave the ball away a lot. We cut through them whenever we got in gear.

Shimo

Will be an electric night at OT I think. Hopefully it's similar to Barca 08 when we needed to win. The fans will play a major role I think - everyone knows if we can do these cnuts over then we have a brilliant chance of getting to the final.
This. I think the fans are going to have to drive the team no matter what's going on from start to finish.

As far as team - assuming Rooney is out:

VDS
Neville, Rio, Vidic, Evra
Valencia, Carrick, Park, Fletcher, Nani
Berbatov

Play smart, don't leave ourselves open to the counter early and get sucker punched. But, don't let up if we get the first goal either. We need to keep working till the final whistle.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
We cut through them whenever we got in gear.
Absolutely. We will put their defence to the test at OT. It's not a test that many teams pass!

It is a shame Rooney is likely to be out though. Demicheles couldn't cope with him at all.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Rooney and Nani had clear chances in the first, Rooney had another in the second. Park, Fletch and Nani passed it around their penalty box with ease to tee up Carrick at one point. We just didn't play well, but when we did, we looked a cut above.

It's just the way we capitulated in the second that has the doom mongers out. There's no chance of that happening with the home crowd behind us. I think we'll win by 2 personally.

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
I'd just like to go on record and say I would be very surprised if we didn't knock Bayern out next week. We're a much better side than we showed last night, we'll be far too good for them at Old Trafford and a one nil result brings home the bacon. Job's a good 'un.
This is what I was thinking, but deary me 1.0 will be a nerve wracking time!!!

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
Rooney and Nani had clear chances in the first, Rooney had another in the second. Park, Fletch and Nani passed it around their penalty box with ease to tee up Carrick at one point. We just didn't play well, but when we did, we looked a cut above.

It's just the way we capitulated in the second that has the doom mongers out. There's no chance of that happening with the home crowd behind us. I think we'll win by 2 personally.
It would be impossible to play that poor twice...

Sir A1ex

This is what I was thinking, but deary me 1.0 will be a nerve wracking time!!!
It's going to be squelchy-bum time whatever happens really.
2-0 still leaves us within a goal of going to extra time.
Even at 3-0, we may catch our breath a little, but a goal back for them with more than 5 minutes left and we're shitting ourselves big time.
I just can't see us running away with it 4-0 or anything this time, so I'm afraid we'll all be shitting bricks til the final whistle.

Bring it on!:devil:

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
It's going to be squelchy-bum time whatever happens really.
2-0 still leaves us within a goal of going to extra time.
Even at 3-0, we may catch our breath a little, but a goal back for them with more than 5 minutes left and we're shitting ourselves big time.
I just can't see us running away with it 4-0 or anything this time, so I'm afraid we'll all be shitting bricks til the final whistle.

Bring it on!:devil:
It will certainly get the adrenalin pumping!!!

Sir A1ex

It will certainly get the adrenalin pumping!!!
I'm just hoping for a repeat of Barcelona '08...

I was convinced they were going to score the goal that would put us out right up until the second the whistle went. There was juts no way a team like barca could go 180 minutes without scoring.
The longer it went on the more pissed off I was at how close we were going to come to the final, only to be cruelly denied at the last.
When that whistle finally went the explosion of emotion form all that tension was just unbelievable - ended up several rows away from where I started, in a pile of bodies. The fact that the Barca fans were directly above us for us to wave goodbye to made it all the sweeter!

Jaap

Berbatov

Giggs - Park - Nani

Carrick - Fletcher

Evra - Vidic - Ferdinand - Rafael

VDS

That's what I'd go with.

ntripunovski

Why on earth I tought that that game ended as a 1-1 I have no idea... Would be nice if we win against bayern with only 3-0 then :)

Rory 7

We have to score a goal. That's all. Win 1 nil and it's enough. If they score, we still only have to score twice. At home we should be able to create the chances we need. It would help if the midfield/defenders get their act together mind
If they score we have to score three times.

Rory 7

Listen I hope I'm wrong. But I don't think I am am. We've seen it so many times in Europe haven't we? We've been spoilt the last two years getting to the final...I just think its normal service about to be resumed....wouldn't be surprised if it ends 1-1 at OT....

Rory 7

Deary fecking me! :lol:
Don't know what your laughing at. I'll be laughing at myself next Thursday if we go through. As things stand I just can't see it. I really do think Bayern will score, which makes it really tough for us....come on lads think of all the years we've crashed out in similar circumstances....some on here have very short memories...

Dortmund
Porto
Real x 2
Milan
Leverkusen
Bayern in 2001
Monaco

Maybe its just me but Tuesday night felt like all those years repeating themselves. As I said above we've been spoilt the last two years. I'd love it if we go through on Wed but I just can't see it. So my hope now is very much that we win the league....

Rory 7

Yep. This looks the most appropriate line up available from those registered:

Zieler
De Laet
J.Evans
Gill
Fabio
Obertan
Gibson
C.Evans
Norwood
Eikrem
Stewart

...and I would love it if that team beat Bayern and fired us into the semi-finals!:devil:
Well if Berbatov gets a knock on Saturday I think you'll find our strikers against Bayern may well have a very 'academy like' look to them...

Rory 7

erm Roma 2-1

And then something happened at Old Trafford. Think we scored a couple of goals against them :smirk:
Was that the year we hammered Roma at home and then crashed out in the next round to the eventual winners AC Milan.

Jeez come to think of it we've just hammered AC Milan. What price us crashing out to the eventual winners Bayern?

Rory 7

Berbatov

Giggs - Park - Nani

Carrick - Fletcher

Evra - Vidic - Ferdinand - Rafael

VDS

That's what I'd go with.
I'd play Valencia instead of Giggs with Nani on the left.
But other than that I think you have the team right.
I don't think we can play Carrick and Scholes together in these matches...