The importance of a marquee signing

Stacks

They have to be neither of this things
1) poor mentality
2) over the hill
3) mercenaries

reality is I cannot think of too many marquee players nowadays that fit this mold. Zlatan was the last Gladiator. He wanted to be here, wanted the challenge as people said he is too old for the EPL. watch his BBC interview.

Ooohlala!!!

Supports
Women with long legs
The state this club is in at the moment marquee signings are the last thing we need because they'd only be here for one reason. Money.

We need to be looking at signings like Rodri and Ndombele. Players that have made a name for themselves but are still hungry for success but once again our board are dragging their feet so long we keep losing out on talent like these.

Still think the Bruno deal will come through which i suppose is a step in the right direction. Maybe in a few years when we've hopefully started to reestablish ourselves again we can start looking once again at marquee signings that want to come to us not just for money but to be part of something special.
We can only hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Club is rebuilding, we already have marquee signings in Pogba Lukaka, Sanchez, Dave etc at the club. The club is trying a different direction, seems the fans are very toxic to it and want Di Maria, Falco etc signings, as they’ll guaranteed fix our issues.
Be nice if the fans could get behind Ole for a while, the lack of faith isn’t a good look.
Lukkaku is not a marquee signing.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Not concerned at all, its the marquee signings in recent years which have caused us the biggest issues in my view - we need to rebuild and thats tricky to do with such big ego's knocking about. The reported complaints about the training methods says a lot, it's ridiculous and could be nonsense but doesn't sound out of character for our current crop.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We don't need a marquee signing because our propaganda machine can turn a major signing into a marquee signing. If we take Milinkovic Savic or even Harry Maguire then rest assured that the club will sell him off as a major marquee signing

SaintMuppet

Names are for tombstones......

Give me players for whom wearing that shirt means something and who fans know it means something.

Being good at football helps a bit too

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Of course he was. The price tag & him being first choice CF for Belgium. He started very well, shame it didn't last
A striker who can barely control a football is not a marquee signing. Being 1st choice for Belgium means feck all. What's his competion? His price really reflected the over-inflated market more than anything. Robin Van Persie was a marquee signing and delivered as well. Lukkaku is a Chelsea reject who did a good job for Everton.

Bestofthebest

So what makes a marquee signing? Is it a Neymar (spoilt brat) Messi (past it) or Mbappe (no chance of getting him) or someone else I can't think of? We have problems with our last two marquee signings Pogba and Sanchez one who wants out and the other we can't give away. Give me a player who will run the miles, get stuck in and have a bit of talent. A lot of the players we have don't appear to think any of these talents are necessary.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sometimes you have to rebuild in a different manner, a more patient approach and get yourself built properly before you can be a big draw again. As much as we hate them, Liverpool under Klopp should be the exact blueprint of a proper rebuild. Sold Suarez (before Klopp), sold Sterling (before Klopp), sold Coutinho, signed players like Firmino, Mane, Fabinho, Robertson, Salah, Chamberlain, Keita, Van Dijk (probably a Maguire type profile when they bought him) and Allison to address their problems. No massive names, good solid players who suited their style and turned into top class players.

Fergie wasnt shy of the occassional huge signing, but it was very much along the lines of what Liverpool has been doing the last 5 years. Dont need specific marquee signings, just need the right ones.

Andy_Cole

That’s the issue. We shouldn’t need to make one. Instead we should create a marquee player.

I agree with your sentiment. We need a ‘power’ player. That needs to be Martial and Rashford stepping up.

MisterLupus

Big names are just words printed in large fonts. We've done that - didn't work. What we need is action not words - to get the basics right. Fitness, intelligence, the right mentality and players who are loyal towards the club and it's supporters. Once all that is in place - once we've re-established a positive culture bottom to top - then we can also start inviting world-class phenomenas. I don't want superstars coming here looking at their new teammates - all of them sitting there shivering in excitement with star-struck faces - and thinking "These guys are all sheep I'm above this I don't even need to make an effort". I want them coming here then entering the wardrobe and instantly going "Feck me these guys are totally unimpressed by who I am and I actually have to perform here to win anyone's respect!"

Last edited: