The Johnson Premiership

Classical Mechanic

Seems that way to me. He wasn't particularly right wing as London mayor, although he didn't seem to do a right lot either. One poster here described him as Thatcherist, which is ludicrous. We'll know more when he announces the cabinet, if Mogg is Chancellor I'll admit being totally wrong and we can start fearing the worst!
Big plans from Boris.

Now for the Boris Johnson revolution — PM to wield axe in radical cabinet reshuffle

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...volution-pm-to-wield-axe-on-cabinet-0cpdldlk6
If the NHS stuff is true it seems that he's acutely aware of the current mood music. I think he's right in his estimation that improving the fortunes of the NHS will be key to a next election victory.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
can’t read the whole article. Put this sounds really positive, and one of the biggest benefits of having a big majority
Main points are;

- Enshrining NHS spending plans into law
- £78bn over the course of the Parliament to transform transport infrastructure in the north
- A huge reshuffle of the cabinet once we have left the EU next month to focus on solidifying gains mains in traditional labour seats in the north/midlands
- Merging and axing certain government departments.

My worry too is how all this is paid for with the inevitable drop in GDP post Brexit. We shall see. I do believe BJ will make a concerted effort to keep the voters he has won over in the north. Long road back for Labour.

Main points are;

- £78bn over the course of the Parliament to transform transport infrastructure in the north
- A huge reshuffle of the cabinet once we have left the EU next month to focus on solidifying gains mains in traditional labour seats in the north/midlands

My worry too is how all this is paid for with the inevitable drop in GDP post Brexit. We shall see. I do believe BJ will make a concerted effort to keep the voters he has won over in the north. Long road back for Labour.
If we can look impartially, that if Boris increases spending, improves infrastructure in the north and appeases these voters - surely that’s a net positive and if that means labour don’t get in for a long time, then so be it?

Classical Mechanic

Main points are;

The SNP also enshrined some policies into law and failed to deliver them so I’m sceptical of how much this means beyond optics.They are going to have to go someway to appeasing these new working class voters though.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ahh the famous ‘pivot’ argument.

The man is a sociopathic charlatan, he’s likely to be as adherent to the principles of social responsibility as he is to his own kids.
If he's a sociaphatic charlatan then what about the 50 percent something that voted for him?

People often forget, if such a bad candidate can win an election. What kind of electee they're having

EwanI Ted

One crumb of comfort for Labour is that if Johnson was really committed to Conservatism he'd spend the next 5 years doubling down on their success in the midlands and the north and truly turning it blue. In doing so he'd make it impossible for Labour to win for a generation. However he doesn't really care about the party, or those voters, so those constituencies will probably still be in play for Labour next time round.

Oldyella

How in the world can you promises 50.000 extra nurse? Import them? It's not something that can be bought, or grown.
Yep. It's crazy, unless they were going to get some press gangs going and kidnap people who have done a first aid course..

Boycott

Johnson has no conviction. He just wants to be liked. I wouldn't be shocked if he now pulls in the Tory Party to the middle on social issues just so in 2024 he can say the austerity measures "as a result of the last labour government" allowed him to expand once the economy was on track.

dbs235

How in the world can you promises 50.000 extra nurse? Import them? It's not something that can be bought, or grown.
Is it the case that there are potential/qualified nurses that are out of work due to a lack of funding for hospitals to hire them? Or is the shortage of nurses because there aren't enough qualified? I know that NHS-related degrees at university are exempt from fees, although it's basically repaid by doing placement courses at hopsitals for free.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Knowing what Johnson is like if he sees Brexit turning into a disaster he won’t think twice before abandoning it.

Kaos

I’m not seeing how a shake up of the lords is the ticket to curbing Scottish nationalist sentiment. I don’t think it’s the current state of the second chamber that’s tempting Scots to a path of independence.

If anything I can imagine it having counter-intuitive implications, especially if the intention is to overtly suppress any discussion on the matter. This will just be seen as another Tory unionist power move.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
@esmufc07 missed a great opportunity to name this thread The Johnson's Paint Trophy.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I’m not seeing how a shake up of the lords is the ticket to curbing Scottish nationalist sentiment. I don’t think it’s the current state of the second chamber that’s tempting Scots to a path of independence.

If anything I can imagine it having counter-intuitive implications, especially if the intention is to overtly suppress any discussion on the matter. This will just be seen as another Tory unionist power move.
I would imagine the new House of Lords would be based in Scotland. Ironic as the current House of Lords owns half of Scotland as it is.

Kaos

I would imagine the new House of Lords would be based in Scotland. Ironic as the current House of Lords owns half of Scotland as it is.
Even so, I hardly see that being an enticing olive branch for the disillusioned Scottish electorate. A symbolic relocation of a pointlessly ceremonial and archaic relic of Westminster politics to their doorstep isn't going to be the buffer the Tories are hoping for.

The reality is, short of dramatic Brexit u-turn, I don't see anything slowing down the tide of nationalist sentiment in Scotland over the coming years. The best chance Boris has IMO is to call Sturgeon's bluff and offer them an early second Indy vote, especially since the Scots are still at an impasse, possibly erring towards staying in the union. That's obviously a huge risk, but if he's triumphant then he'll have a renewed mandate of conclusively nipping the debate in the bud for another generation.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Even so, I hardly see that being an enticing olive branch for the disillusioned Scottish electorate. A symbolic relocation of a pointlessly ceremonial and archaic relic of Westminster politics to their doorstep isn't going to be the buffer the Tories are hoping for.

The reality is, short of dramatic Brexit u-turn, I don't see anything slowing down the tide of nationalist sentiment in Scotland over the coming years. The best chance Boris has IMO is to call Sturgeon's bluff and offer them an early second Indy vote, especially since the Scots are still at an impasse, possibly erring towards staying in the union. That's obviously a huge risk, but if he's triumphant then he'll have a renewed mandate of conclusively nipping the debate in the bud for another generation.
It's up to the Scots for me, they've elected a parliament on the basis that they would ask for a referendum when they thought it right, I'd go along with that.

As for the Lords, I would abolish it tomorrow, but I am somewhat unusual in that I would replace it with nothing. No second chamber at all. Committees overseen by elected MPs could revise or delay if necessary, that's all that's needed. Elected governments should be able to govern.