The Joy of Six: Le Tissier

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

Xavi said:
"In Catalonia there used to be a half-hour programme every Monday where they'd show the best goals from the Premier League. Every week, Matt Le Tissier would be on the show. I'm talking outrageous, sickening goals. Straight in the top corner, left-foot flick and then right over a defender and score against Newcastle. We used to say: 'This guy, Le Tissier, is outrageous and he never goes to a big team. He stays at Southampton. It's incredible. He could play for anyone.' Our whole house was obsessed with him."
From announcing himself in the 1989-90 season with a sublime hat-trick to his firecracker to send off The Dell, half a dozen of the Southampton icon’s best:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/sep/22/the-joy-of-six-matt-le-tissier

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
I thought this said the Joy of Sex and that he'd written a book or something. Imagine my disappointment when I looked to pre order it on Amazon and it wasn't there.

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
Shame they stopped at 6. Could have quite a few more!

:angel::angel::angel:

Reactions: SteveJ

Deleted member 101472

Has there ever been a definitive answer as to why he didn't go to a bigger club or feature more prominently for England?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Has there ever been a definitive answer as to why he didn't go to a bigger club or feature more prominently for England?
First one is probably his own fault and the second question was influenced by his decisions with regards to the first. If he played for a big club, he'd have been a regular for England.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He scored some crackers but he was a bit of a lazy bastard. Bigger teams would've asked him to actually run around a bit.

FujiVice

Liked where he lived. Also, as good as he was, he was a lazy cnut. Didnt have the drive. Remember in the 90s Frank Skinner doing a bit in his stand up where he said "Le Tissier has taken up comedy. He stands there yawning for 90 minutes, but when he tells a joke its a fecking good one."

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
He must have been shit in other areas of football, because his shooting skills are second to none in his era.
Love those goals by him where he loops the ball so he can hit it on the volley.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I've just mentioned Le Tiss in the underrated players thread :D then I spot this.

Time to go re-watch his best goals again for the gazillionth time.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Lazy or not, players like him deserve to be given some indulgence. First capped for England only in 1994! These days players with two good games get a call up. The fact that he played less than 10 games for the national team and Heskey played over 60 says it all. Oh England!
England had Gascoigne and Sheringham (who had excellent chemistry with Shearer) at Le Tissier's peak. Unless he really kicked it up a level, he was only ever going to be a bit part player for the national team.

Strachans Cigar

England has a tradition of underusing maverick talents who entertained.

Stan Bowles,
Tony Currie,
Frank Worthington,
Rodney Marsh,
Charlie George...

...and so on.

Only Hoddle & Gazza stand out as having had a fair crack. We clearly don't trust flair.

In fact I remember Le Tissier just before he earned his call up under Venables to play in a friendly in Ireland in 1995 saying "I don't want to be one of those English talents who only ends up winning a handful of caps". The friendly was abandoned due to crowd trouble after a few minutes and that was Le Tissier's England "career" up in smoke.

Rodney Marsh on this very phenomenon:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/21/seven-deadly-sins-football-alf-ramsey-rodney-marsh

dogwithabone

I don't think you shoehorn a player like Le Tissier into a side. Either build the side around him and indulge his outrageous talent or bin him.

Southampton embraced him to the full and reaped the rewards. England were never likely to do that.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I don't think you shoehorn a player like Le Tissier into a side. Either build the side around him and indulge his outrageous talent or bin him.

Southampton embraced him to the full and reaped the rewards. England were never likely to do that.
England treat him like they did John Barnes, didn't play to their blindingly obvious talents. If you watch Le Tiss' interviews when he's asked about England you can see he's a bit bitter, and who can blame him. Looking at the number of caps other far far inferior players got while he was around is baffling.

Classical Mechanic

Just looking through some greatest goals of all time videos on YouTube and Le Tissier has a highlight reel to match most of the greats. Such a strange case. He seemed to happy to dwell where his talent would make up for his unprofessionalism and lack of ambition. He was often a thorn in United's side. He was very two footed, look at the goals at 2.34 - 2.41!

He was an amazing player for about 10 minutes.Then you'll see a technically skill-full individual doing passes that didn't come off,dilly dallying on the ball with the workrate of a pub player.
I grew up watching Le Tissier and he was the perfect highlights reel player but you watch his performance over the duration of a match and you'd see a enigma, a frustrating one at that.

Never overrated. English football would die for a player like him now, with his technique and invention.
Le Tissier is more highly rated nowadays then at the time he was playing. Why ? blind nostalgia and youtube.
Again,he was a scorer of outrageous goals but he was a notch below Bergkamp,Zola,Cantona,Gazza and Ginola.

I'd put him alongside cult players like Kinkladze,Di Canio and Merson.

Classical Mechanic

Le Tissier is more highly rated nowadays then at the time he was playing. Why ? blind nostalgia and youtube.
Again,he was a scorer of outrageous goals but he was a notch below Bergkamp,Zola,Cantona,Gazza and Ginola.

He was more highly rated at the time than Soton level. Bigger sides tried to sign him but he turned them down.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/2235977/le-tiss-turned-down-spurs-move

He was more highly rated at the time than Soton level. Bigger sides tried to sign him but he turned them down.
Apart from Spurs,who were desperately trying to get up the table,very few big teams were willing to spend major bucks on him. And when they could he was arguably past his peak and were informed of the fact he had awful off field routine of eating fish 'n' chips and getting bladdered during the week.

A relative saw him one night getting p*ssed up in Soton when he informed Southampton that day he had a ankle problem and was unable to walk.:lol:

He was the epitome of a cult player.

Classical Mechanic

Apart from Spurs,who were desperately trying to get up the table,very few big teams were willing to spend major bucks on him. And when they could he was arguably past his peak and were informed of the fact he had awful off field routine of eating fish 'n' chips and getting bladdered during the week.

A relative saw him one night getting p*ssed up in Soton when he informed Southampton that day he had a ankle problem and was unable to walk.:lol:

I don’t disagree. He was a terrible professional but he’s one of those ‘what could have been’ players.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
His goal compilation is no joke. One of the few that I actually look up again every once in a while.

montpelier

Yes, his fitness levels were all over the place depending on whether or not he was getting on with the Southampton Manager from what I could tell.

montpelier

They once featured a Southampton pre season game vs amateur level opposition on our local news. Southampton winning about 8-0, that kind of thing. For one of the goals, the ball gets launched at Le Tiss on the back stick from about 60 yards away. I think he would have left it if he had had to have moved. But instead he rabona traps it, absolutely stone dead, like it was nothing.

Quite a talent, but I have the sense that him & Southampton kind of suited each other.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I'm no expert, having only watched a handful of full games, maybe 15 or so, quite a few would be from near the end of his career too, but his workrate didn't seem that bad to me. From what i had read of him beforehand i was expecting a mummy on the pitch, a lower league plodding stroller sort of workrate, yet found him to be quite mobile and active. No workhorse and not fast, but i was still surprised. Workrate and pace wise it was no worse than watching Bergkamp for instance.

I wonder if it's been one of those criticisms of a player that while valid to some extent(especially considering english football culture of the time and high number of workhorse players produced) ended up snowballing and getting overdone. A bit like the Andy Cole needs 5 chances comment from Hoddle.

AKDevil

I’d say it’s more to do with how many good English strikers/midfielders and creative rules like him to pick from when he played. Because England managers didn’t select him and he was at Southampton he was easy to look down on.

Sir Scott McToMinay

He could’ve never played for Manchester United or a club with similar ambitions , he was basically the definition of a luxury player.
Don’t get me wrong, he was a brilliant footballer, but you can’t have a player like that in a top side, who isn’t capable of putting the work on the pitch without the ball as well as with it.

lemmiwink

I'm no expert, having only watched a handful of full games, maybe 15 or so, quite a few would be from near the end of his career too, but his workrate didn't seem that bad to me. From what i had read of him beforehand i was expecting a mummy on the pitch, a lower league plodding stroller sort of workrate, yet found him to be quite mobile and active. No workhorse and not fast, but i was still surprised. Workrate and pace wise it was no worse than watching Bergkamp for instance.

I wonder if it's been one of those criticisms of a player that while valid to some extent(especially considering english football culture of the time and high number of workhorse players produced) ended up snowballing and getting overdone. A bit like the Andy Cole needs 5 chances comment from Hoddle.
I always liked Le Tissier. His technique was sublime, but I can see that some would label him frustrating considering all the chances he wasted trying impossible passes for instance.

Regarding Cole; he was the most frustrating United forward for me. I swear that man hit the post more often than he scored. He blossomed to some degree when Yorke came, but before that he was quite wasteful.

Reactions: Carolina Red

caid

He could’ve never played for Manchester United or a club with similar ambitions , he was basically the definition of a luxury player.
Don’t get me wrong, he was a brilliant footballer, but you can’t have a player like that in a top side, who isn’t capable of putting the work on the pitch without the ball as well as with it.
Plenty did. Cantona didn't do much defending. People were raving about Messi last season up till the liverpool match, hard to argue Barca aren't a top side despite that result. Every player in your team working hard and pressing high up the pitch will be replaced in time as all other tactics are and the lazy, languid number 10 will come back in fashion at one point or another.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Plenty did. Cantona didn't do much defending. People were raving about Messi last season up till the liverpool match, hard to argue Barca aren't a top side despite that result. Every player in your team working hard and pressing high up the pitch will be replaced in time as all other tactics are and the lazy, languid number 10 will come back in fashion at one point or another.
Messi and La Tissier are not in the same category or anything close to that, Cantona was better than La Tissier too.
I don’t think he was ever good enough to be that “luxury” player for us.
We’ve had better players, so did Arsenal.