The kids

kanchelskis14

Our youngsters..

They outplayed Celtic last week, but i wasn't convinced many of them, on that performance anyway, had it what it took to really reach the pinnacle of the game, only Evans and Gibson, and we know Rossi has it.

However, today, in the second half anyway, i saw them outplay an established european outfit in their own back yard, and was highly impressed. Firstly, while i didn;t see enough against Celtic, i thought Lee Martin was outstanding tonight and looked to have great potential, and Rossi was also superb. I'll keep stating that Richardson will also be a star.

Lastly, i'd just like to point out that i'm mystified over the hype about Phil Bardsley. Apart from him being a Manchester lad, and evidently a bit tough, ( both of which help to win people over), i think he's actually a little rubbish, or ordinary at least. He was getting skinned constantly against Porto, and the same was happening today. He has little or no technical ability either. Simpson looks a more promising option at right-back for me.

That's my two cents.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Bardsley came on for ten minutes today and played at left back. So today really shouldn't affect your opinion of him to be honest.

I'll grant you he started badly against porto, but he got better as the game went on and did well in the middle after Simpson came on.

BezsMaracas

I loved Bardsley's tough tackling attitude when he first burst through and he does have some problems. Simpson has played far better preseason, but I still think Bardsley has a lot more than he showed against Porto. Give him time to improve, the same was pinned against Gary Nev when he first came through.

As for the other youngsters, they made me feel proud to be a red tonight, even for a friendly it was a very gutsy performance with so many first teamers out and they played brilliantly, Evans and Simpson in particular.

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
MUFC Champions 2006/2007: Where will the goals com
Bardsleys a good right back but not a left back nor centre half.

I think our lads excelled today. If you consider the stage and the circumstance, against Ajax in front of 50,000, they played more like Manchester United than the first team did at times last year. The desire was immense and the energy exemplary, you really felt how much they wanted it tonight.

Although everyone played well, just focusing on the young players I thought Evans at the back, as i've said, was awesome. I dont think he put a foot wrong; strong in the air, good on the ball, read the game brilliantly, always in the right place and unlucky not to score at their end. Simpson im less impressed by, though he gets forward well no doubt. Richardson played less like an arrogant child and more like the established pro he needed to be in there tonight, and Fletcher for all the stick he gets recovered well after a poor start to the game; used the ball well, kept things moving, joined up with play, started plenty of moves and made some decent challenges. Same goes for Miller actually.

Martins energy and enthusiasm were evident too, thought his runs off the ball and pace on it, his willingness to get at the defender and run from deep was terrific, and Rossi up front was painfully unlucky, but everything in his game was perfect tonight except that bit of luck in front of goal. In the first half he was timing his runs badly but Fergie obviously had a word because in the second half he timed everything perfectly and showed the best close control on the field by far.

Very promising indeed. This will do a lot for their confidence and game.

Parks Life

I agree Simpson looks more promosing than Bardsley. Not sure about the defensive side but defintily more composed on the ball.

I'm starting to think even if we only sign Senna, we will still be a really strong outfit this season on all fronts & things are certainly promosing for the future.

Buddenbrook

Rossi is promising but he needs to be loaned out. He needs regular competitive football to find consistency, to learn the more physical sides of the game and to build up his self-belief and start banging them in.

Then next season he will be in contention for first team places. His problem is that ideally he is fighting for the same two places that Ronaldo and Rooney now occupy if we are to play 4-3-3.

Martin could be worth keeping. We don't have quality wingers in abundance, and he could get the chances to prove himself during the course of the season.

vanthaman

Winner
Martin needs to be a bit stronger on the ball, he seems to get pushed off it quite easily. but he looks promising

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Fergie is on the verge of having another 2 or 3 make a big mark on the first team again IMHO

well done SAF & the coaching staff

Ballache

Supports
Martial
we have very good young players, but i think we should loan them to a better team than antwerp

BezsMaracas

The only problem is that they will probably only make the real step up the same season the likes of Scholes, Giggs and Neville are reaching the end of their careers. Some look almost ready now but I can't see them getting enough chances with us.

Guvnorgaz

Dont say that GB cos all the muppets would rather we spent a fortune on Tevez, Mascherano and any other foreign knob they see on the telly pass the ball more than 5 yards

Number7

Ret's Slave
KaiserSoze666 said:
The only problem is that they will probably only make the real step up the same season the likes of Scholes, Giggs and Neville are reaching the end of their careers. Some look almost ready now but I can't see them getting enough chances with us.
Rossi will, seeing as though we're a bit short of firepower, assuming he doesn't go out on loan.

You're probably right with the defenders, there's too many in the first team for the likes of Evans to get a decent chance.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Jon Paul said:
I can see Martin and Evans especially starring.
gibsson is very decent aswel,im also impressed with mullan. paul Mcshane maybe is not as talented but i love the way he plays he is like an irish heinze

golden_blunder

Staff
KaiserSoze666 said:
thats what we thought when scholes, becks etc were breaking through

if they get a chance and take it, who knows..?

Dowders_Jnr

We sold Spector and loaned Pique out for the season. Just goes to show how tough it will be for the younsters. But knowing our luck with injuries back there right now, we may get to see a fair bit more of them than we expect.

golden_blunder

Staff
Ballache13 said:
gibsson is very decent aswel,im also impressed with mullan. paul Mcshane maybe is not as talented but i love the way he plays he is like an irish heinze
mcshane has fight, reminds me of brucey, but he wont make it.

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
Definitely an exciting time for the club, it'd be wonderful. Lee Martin is the most interesting now for me following his recentappearances, I remember seeing him in a string of England youth games where he looked very handy as a central, creative midfielder, but seeing his pace and technique on the wings is really thrilling.

BezsMaracas

golden_blunder said:
thats what we thought when scholes, becks etc were breaking through

if they get a chance and take it, who knows..?
But they all got their real chance the season we sold Hughes, Ince and Kanchelskis... I can't see those openings coming around again although I hope i'm wrong because we have some amazing talents coming through.

Ferguson

I think Bardsley is a can't miss. He will replace Gary Neville when the time comes, and I believe Bardsley can have a long, outstanding career like Gary Neville.

Ferguson

I thought the Porto game was a somewhat lackluster performance, and yet we beat Porto 3-1 with our two best players sent off. It demonstrated that we were a class above, even with our second and third team. Martin showed speed and talent, though I didn't see him cross the ball. Ben Foster is authoritative and athletic, a great one to have.

If only we had a decent CM among the youth ranks. :(

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Bardsley is an useful player, I was really impressed with his toughness when he broke into our first team, then I was less and less impressed with him to be honest but he has the potential and can be a solid replacement for Gary. Even if he fails, it's still good to have such a player aboard, homegrown talent that will never complain about lack of first team performances, that's why I, unlike some people, really appreciate presence of players like O'Shea or Fletcher. If somebody says we should get rid of them, I really don't understand it, because there will be no players to replace them. No one is going to sign for you to warm the bench and provide depth.

I have to admit that I've seen very little of current pre-season, it's not on TV here, I saw a couple of plays on the internet but I guess highlists are too little to judge players. Scores are telling it all though, we have beaten two very good sides with our youngsters and from what I've heard, we did it in quite an impressive style.

As for loaning players out, it's not that necessary when you know thaty certain player could thrive in our team. No one is obviously expected to jump straight into first team, but for instance Martin can get up to 10 games this season and I believe he'd benefit more from that than from going to Antwerp. It's a different case with serious loan moves, Pique to Zaragoza and apparent Martin to Rangers moves will surely give them a lot of true experience. My idea of development is to send very young or non-EU players on loan to Antwerp, where they'd virtually form half of starting team and work out some really decent partnership. When they turn 19, then there are three options for them - first is to get some chances at United if they are good enough, some of them should be able to do that. Second is to move on loan to a truly decent English team, Premiership side at best, and third is to send them on loan to some decent team abroad, different than Antwerp, maybe Sporting or some Dutch side (NEC are reported to be keen on a couple of our youngster, Simpson should go there). Loan moves to Championship at the age of 21 aren't good to be honest, if someone who is 21 can't impress at TC level even, then for his own good we should release him.

We've got plenty of talent, that's for sure, my only worry is that this talent could be wasted by wrong development. I believed in Eagles before, he turned out not that good..

RapidRed

I was very impressed with Jonny Evans. In the games he played, the way he handled some quality strikers, he seems closest to the first team among all the kids IMO (maybe Rossi is on par with him).

Rossi is also an exceptional talent. He was brilliant in the second half today. Unfortunate to not get a goal this pre season.

I was pleasently surprised by Lee Martin. He might not be the finished article yet, but he has tremendous potential. He really deserves to stay at United or at least go on loan to a lower premiership/championship club.

These 3 are the most exciting prospects to come out of this pre season IMO.

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
you can never be sure but from what I have seen Rossi, Pique, Martin, Bardsley, Evans and Gibson all have the raw talent to make the grade. that doesnt mean they will but with the right development they can be United players for years to come. To have six such young players coming through at once is fantastic. We also have great prospects like Zieler, Campbell and Brandy coming through as well. Simpson, McShane, David Jones and Eagles wont make it in my opinion.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Davo said:
Become top players
I think it's right to be skeptical, but at the same time, they can't prove themselves unless they get the chance to do so. Everything points to positive with them so far and considering their ages, the progress is impressive. The proof will be in the pudding, so you are making a fair comment, for now, but the optimism for most of them is warranted at this moment in time.

It's always exciting watching them come up though. They clearly have talent.

Davo

Fortitude said:
I think it's right to be skeptical, but at the same time, they can't prove themselves unless they get the chance to do so. Everything points to positive with them so far and considering their ages, the progress is impressive. The proof will be in the pudding, so you are making a fair comment, for now, but the optimism for most of them is warranted at this moment in time.

It's always exciting watching them come up though. They clearly have talent.
The optimism is always there, seems to be more so with your fans than others. In reality, players you rave about tend to disappear to the lower divisions a couple of years after being the next big thing.

There might be exceptions amongst your current crop. Probably not