(The lack of) common sense refereeing

Mr Smith

I've been meaning to post a thread about this for a while. In my opinion, there is a systemic problem with the profession of refereeing in the game, where referee's are obsessed with applying the laws of the game to the letter, with no regard or appreciation of the context of the game, or even why the laws are there in the first place.

Balduena's red card for West Ham against Chelsea today was the latest of an increasingly common set of occurrences where a referee has completely failed to use common sense to make a decision. The reason the Red Card exists in football in the first place is to either discourage dangerous play to keep the players safe (such as a wild, out of control, studs up challenge), or to discourage actions that are blatant breaches of the rules to gain an advantage (such as fouling a player bearing down on goal as the last man). The red card today was neither. It was studs up, but purely accidentally, in a follow-through from kicking the ball! If Chilwell doesn't close him down, he doesn't get sent off, simple as that. So really, all the referee has done is taken an innocuous incident (which lets face it, at worst has given Chilwell a graze down his calf), while permanently changing the dynamic of the game in Chelsea's favour.

The McTominay incident against Spurs was another example of this. McTominay throws his hand back in an attempt to hold off Son and just happens to hit him in the face. If Son brushes that off and keeps chasing McTominay, none of that happens and the goal stands. But because Son goes down, attention is drawn to another otherwise innocuous incident, and leads to the goal being disallowed.

Go back further, and you can even look at our winning penalty against PSG in 2019. Is it a handball? It's debatable, but probably. But what is completely ignored about that incident is that Dalot has hit one of the worst shots you'll ever see, which by its trajectory is clearly headed into row Z. Kimpembe is actually three feet off the ground when it hits his arm. If he hadn't turned or left his arm in the flight of the ball, the ball would have gone out, and probably so would we. But the referee completely ignored the context of the incident and we got, very, very lucky.

There are hundreds of recent penalty incidents where there has clearly not been enough contact for the player to go down, but because contact has been made, the referee for whatever reason feels compelled to give the decision.

I have a similiar gripe about offsides, as the offsite law was put in place to ensure the attacker does not gain an unfair advantage. Being a millimetre offside clearly offers no advantage, but despite the fact technology has forced us to apply the law to an extreme degree, no-one has thought to ask whether it's time to look at the law itself (eg, the whole of an attacker needs to be in front of the defender, or at least a part of the body that can score, as Wenger suggested).

There have been multiple instances of these kind of decisions throughout this season, many with VAR involved, but some not (it is a problem that pre-dates VAR as I've been complaining about this for years). Either out of fear of getting a decision wrong, or just through a complete lack of critical thinking and common sense, referees are applying these laws with no consideration of why they are there in the first place. As a result, tiny bits of accidental contact are having wildly disproportionate influences on games.

It needs to change. Referee's need to be trained to apply common sense when actioning the laws of the game, but this is an increasing rarity. Frankly, I think this would be a thing if referees had to have press conferences (or even just a mike on them like in rugby), in order to justify their decisions. But the profession as a whole needs to reform how they apply these laws, to prevent important games turning on factors that have nothing to do with tactics or footballing ability.

I'm going to continue to bump this thread every time I see an incident that's an example of this to show how common it is. I encourage others to do the same.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
They could stamp out diving in a matter of weeks if they wanted to. Zero tolerance and instant yellows for bullshit diving, screaming and theatrics like this...

Instead it's a risk-free attempt to con refs. I don't understand how refs are not insulted by this stuff. If I was a ref I'd be thinking "Do you think I'm a fecking fool?" if I saw a dive and would delight in booking them. Where is their pride?

Mr Smith

They could stamp out diving in a matter of weeks if they wanted to. Zero tolerance and instant yellows for bullshit diving, screaming and theatrics like this...

Instead it's a risk-free attempt to con refs. I don't understand how refs are not insulted by this stuff. If I was a ref I'd be thinking "Do you think I'm a fecking fool?" if I saw a dive and would delight in booking them. Where is their pride?
Maybe they are.

In all seriousness, I think it's just become so commonplace that referee's don't blink when players dive; its just part of the game. Its up to the refereeing institutions ot train referees to think critically about these things, and recognise situations where players are attempting to con them.

babablue

I think what gets on most fans nerves is lack of consistency. In which case, I would prefer they apply the letter of the law rather than each ref's interpretation of common sense. Of course, they arguably don't apply the letter of the law consistently today, but that's a different conversation.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
One of the biggest issues is them only using the slow motion replays for incidents that need the full speed to get context. Both Balduena's red card and McTominay's hand against Spurs are obviously nothing when viewed in normal speed, but VAR focuses on the slow motion and then, worse, ONLY shows the slowed down footage to the referee when he comes over to look. It is useful at times to get a better idea of exactly what happened, but it has to be used alongside normal speed.

Mr Smith

One of the biggest issues is them only using the slow motion replays for incidents that need the full speed to get context. Both Balduena's red card and McTominay's hand against Spurs are obviously nothing when viewed in normal speed, but VAR focuses on the slow motion and then, worse, ONLY shows the slowed down footage to the referee when he comes over to look. It is useful at times to get a better idea of exactly what happened, but it has to be used alongside normal speed.
I find that a weak excuse to be honest. If a referee can't see even in slow motion that Balduena's follow through puts Chilwell in no serious danger, then I don't think he's fit to be a referee.

More to the point, these decisions shouldn't be made based on how bad something looks. Whether a red card is shown should be based on:
a. whether the action of one player has placed another player in serious danger
b. whether there has been deliberate violent conduct
c. whether there has been a breach of the laws sufficient to significantly disadvantage the opposition

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Agree with this.

Slow motion replay will exaggerate any movement.

It’s helpful to define context or potentially catch something that the eye couldn’t see (that Chelsea handball at the edge of the box, for example), but its impact on a referee’s decision should be just that, peripheral.

If the play is going to be adjudged in real time by the referee, then the replay should be as close to the speed that the referee originally saw.

Slow motion distorts plays like today into completely different scenarios.

JohnnyLaw

One issue for me is that VAR forces the officials to make a decision where they otherwise would choose not to, due to ’common sense’.

Take the McTominay incident for example, let’s say the ref sees the ’foul’ and understands that Mctominay is only attempting to keep from being fouled himself by Son, recognizing that Son got hoist with his own petard.

He can choose be passive and let play proceed, but NO. Then VAR comes into play and says, ’no, you can’t just let it slide. You have to make an active decision here and it has to adhere to the laws of the book.’

That’s where the game becomes black and white imo. Because the referees are too often forced into a ’damned if you do’ scenario where the only way to protect thenselves is to stick to the literal wordings of the rulebook.