The lack of depth in our front 3 versus our rivals...

Delano

One thing that I think got lost in our hiest of Brighton, was that we had no recognised striker on the bench. With Greenwood on the wing, Igahlo sat at home with a loan contract expiring in January and VDB coming on to play up top.

This got me thinking, how does our depth across the front 3 compare with the rest of the top 6? I think its fair to say, it doesn't compare favourably when you lay it out.

Liverpool - Firmino, Salah, Mane, Minamino, Jota, Shaqiri, Origi

City - Sterling, Aguero, Mahrez, Silva, Torres, Jesus

Chelsea - Werner, Giroud, Abraham, Ziyech, Pulisic, Havertz, Hudson-Odoi

Arsenal - Aubamayeng, Lacazette, Willian, Pepe, Saka, Martinelli, Nketiah

Spurs - Kane, Son, Bale, Lucas, Lamela, Bergwijn

United - Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Igahlo, Mata, Lingard, James

It's not new information that we're after Sancho, but I think its pretty alarming that if one of our front 3 get injured or is out of form, we're relying on back ups that are either out of contract soon (Igahlo), off form (James), in decline (Mata) or in the shop window (Lingard).

We're miles off our rivals when it comes to being suitably stocked for a 60 game season and honestly, we probably need 2 new players to compete with the front 3 to even be close to our rivals depth.

Let's see if we still have the same squad next week, but we've got to do everything we can to keep the front 3 fighting for their place, whilst getting depth for the wing and probably... up front.

What do you think, is the lack of depth in the front 3 our biggest concern? How many players do we need?

Lee565

Two of those were signed under ole so again he has to share some blame, I really dont get the point in extending ighalo's contract when there were other potential cheap/free deals to be had in the market this summer and james has been awful aside from the typical honeymoon period that many players have for clubs and in the premier league.

Josep Dowling

I was really surprised that a backup striker was not a priority this window. Ighalo was meant to be a stop gap for a few months. He’s done okay but he’s never going to be United quality.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Crikey, our forward line quality really falls off a cliff after Greenwood.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I was really surprised that a backup striker was not a priority this window. Ighalo was meant to be a stop gap for a few months. He’s done okay but he’s never going to be United quality.
I was reminded of that counter-attack we had against Luton midweek. Jeez, and I thought Mata was slow.

SAFMUTD

Our signins in attack have been nothing short of disastrous. We were more concerned on getting rid of them rather than getting new players.

But yes, our depth is easily the worst in the top 6. Even further down. One injury and we have to play James, Lingard or Mata. Thats depressing.

The_Midfielder

And folks here still do not want Sancho as this will hinder Greenwood's development

Jibbs

We need a striker and RW. Both Ighalo and James should be gone.

Member 90887

Two of those were signed under ole so again he has to share some blame, I really dont get the point in extending ighalo's contract when there were other potential cheap/free deals to be had in the market this summer and james has been awful aside from the typical honeymoon period that many players have for clubs and in the premier league.
You think that a board that signed only one player this summer and that is dithering in signing an RW and an LB while we are crying out for them, is gonna sign an attacker when one is available on loan ?

This board is useless. Let's first sign a player in a position where we actually have no one, then we will see about squad depth.