Television The Last Dance (ESPN) | 97-98 Bulls and MJ

SirAnderson

I love Lebron, and I think he has a shot at being the Goat, but after watching this doc, man MJ was in a class of his own. I like that he also complimented the players around him. How's Lebron in that case? Think he also improves average players.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Huh? LeBron has 3 titles, 3 MVP awards.
It was meant in terms of their playing style. There is a debate about their careers and regardless of Lebron winning anything from now on, he has a solid case to be seen as the most complete player to play the game once he is done. He can and has, with large success, played all basketball positions aside from center. His latest transformation into point guard is especially impressive. Tbf, Bird and Magic should also be in this discussion, even more then Jordan.

I think that terms "best" or "greatest" will still, in most people eyes, be reserved for Jordan though. But, let's see how Lebron's latest chapter finishes as he is still going pretty strong.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I didn’t get the ‘even if he doesn’t win anything’ like. I probably read it wrong.
Think you have to put "from here on out" behind that sentence. People will always point to his relatively poor record in the Finals as an argument in favor of Jordan. If he wins one, two or let alone three more rings with the Lakers, the debate would be very much on and maybe even tilting towards LeBron.

Zen

His latest transformation into point guard is especially impressive. Tbf, Bird and Magic should also be in this discussion, even more then Jordan.
This isn't all that massively impressive, since he's a ball handler naturally.... Jordan transitioned to PG for half a season once, players flirt with it a lot if ball handling is part of their natural game anyway. I'd be impressed if like Shaq or Duncan randomly did it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I got hooked on Sunday watching this and finished it on Tuesday evening - it has a real addictive quality about it, and is super well put together. I'm not a basketball fan and beyond knowing MJ was a global superstar and the Bulls were massive in the 90s (without knowing to what extent), I was going in pretty ignorant, which helped with the dramatic aspects I would imagine. There's a good mix between the focus on MJ and the segments dedicated to some of his teammates. Dennis Rodman comes across as an insane motherfecker (nice to see a bit of Carmen Electra too), Pippen seemed like a sound, reliable guy and the most touching one was Steve Kerr.

Great documentary overall, the most emotional moment was Jordan crying on the floor after the 1st NBA win following his dad passing away, where for the 1st time he wasn't in control of what he was showing. Probably a bit weird to actually film that moment, but quite poignant.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What a documentary. It’s always great being moved to laughter & tears remembering the past.

Tony Babangida

I thought basketball was a shit sport and had no interest in it. This documentary changed my mind, was brilliant.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What was it like to watch Jordan live? Is it like watching Ronaldo & Messi produce some magic and you go like "wooahh" or "holy shit"?

DVG7

What was it like to watch Jordan live? Is it like watching Ronaldo & Messi produce some magic and you go like "wooahh" or "holy shit"?
I don’t think there’s even been the demand for tickets to see Messi or Ronaldo quite like Jordan.

Bobski

I don’t think there’s even been the demand for tickets to see Messi or Ronaldo quite like Jordan.
Nature of the sports isn't it? Basketball allows individuals to dominate like no other team sport, shot clock means the chance for equality of possession, difficulty of taking the ball away from the ball handler and the relative ease of scoring means putting the ball in the hands of your best player and just letting him go can lead to success. You see that with the statistical domination of guys like Westbrook and Harden in recent years.

Football requires teamwork to succeed, at a significantly more advanced level than basketball, Ronaldo is amazing but he does need others to set him up.

Zen

Messi is the only comparison in my lifetime.... oh and Tiger, yeah Tiger was a colossus. You aren't watching for the 'moment'... you're just kinda watching them.

djdhrubs

Saw this, and thought it was very emotional and gripping. Obviously I don't know anything about basketball, but the characters were great and the way they put the music together with the footage made it really exciting. Could have watched many more episodes if they'd made them.

meamth

Saw this, and thought it was very emotional and gripping. Obviously I don't know anything about basketball, but the characters were great and the way they put the music together with the footage made it really exciting. Could have watched many more episodes if they'd made them.
Was filmed in 1998, the producers wanted to release them but never got the green light from MJ.

But times passed, and people are forgetting MJ, at least from his perspective, due to fans calling lebron the goat.

He quickly give the production the green light.

There will be no more story from MJ playing days, they covered everything.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I also thought it a bit weird he had to find scenarios and in one instance create a made up one to give himself an extra edge.

It almost came across like sometimes he'd struggle for motivation some games and had to find something to get him going.
I don't know. We all have ways to get the best out of ourselves and to squeeze another 10%. He found a way by making it personal. It's a bit like the manager who takes the controversial headline to motivate his team prior to a game. I think Jordan is unique because he can motivate himself. He didnt need others to do it for him. I think this also had to do with the way he was raised. His father who was referred to as Mr. Jordan by his wife seemed to be a unique individual. He made his children incredibly competitive but also instilled determination.

Sylar

Watched this. Remember around the time when he went to Baseball and how it was a big thing noted here (trying think of a comparison, but imagining Ronaldo after winning a few CL deciding that hes just going to go and play Cricket whilst in his prime).
I got into basketball around the time of Space Jam , the whole 'im back' story being blasted as a huge thing (especially in England on newspapers) and going to America / NY around 97 and becoming a Knicks fan (despite having Bulls memorabilia just cos of Jordan - and wondering if I still have it around)

The documentary was a great watch and perfect to binge.
As a wrestling fan, I remember Rodman (and then Malone) appearing.
I just didnt realise the timing of Rodman appearing and how nuts it was that it was during the playoffs. Thats pretty fcked up when you think about it and how they all just got on with it.

It was a great watch and i loved the way they went back and forth in the timeline from his first run to his second run.
Its also nuts to think that before going for the threepeat (second time) that the coach was told youre getting turfed out no matter what happens (and your best player basically saying he wont play for another coach).
The mad thing is they werent even given a chance to go for number 7 (4 in a row).

Would have been great to get a live perspective of the GMs thoughts on this, but still...

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I watched this over the last couple of weeks, bloody brilliant show. Obviously know about MJ, Pippen and Rodman and the Bulls just through infamy but great actually watch the games and wow, some of the stuff they pull is incredible.

I know for a fact if I lived in the states this would be my favoured sport to watch instead of soccer ball.

Sylar

I know for a fact if I lived in the states this would be my favoured sport to watch instead of soccer ball.
This and NFL. Going live is different. Not sure if youve been to any that have come across.

Also i totally forgot how many legends played during the 80;s and 90's (And how star studded that dream team was) - and yet MJ is still bigger than all of them.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think I was a bit harsh earlier in this thread. It could have been better if it didn't take MJ's perspective as gospel in most instances. And I still push back against the narrative that his methods of team "motivation" were the only way to win. But the series has grown on me. He has a fascinating narrative and arc, one I don't see being topped for a long time. Even if (and big if) LeBron equals the 6 rings, Jordan wins the story part every single time.