Television The Last Dance (ESPN) | 97-98 Bulls and MJ

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Jordan talking trash wasn't even anything special. Before the first three point contest Larry Bird went around the locker room to the other contestants, laughed in their face and then walked onto the court and won it without ever taking off his warm up jacket.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Jordan talking trash wasn't even anything special. Before the first three point contest Larry Bird went around the locker room to the other contestants, laughed in their face and then walked onto the court and won it without ever taking off his warm up jacket.
Bird was the king of trash-talkers.

It‘s a shame those two young players died and their rebuild after him went to shit. It would’ve made the early 90’s NBA even more interesting.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Anyway, incredible documentary. Up there with the best I’ve seen. It actually got me interested in basketball. May give the NBA a watch when it comes back.
People often ask about what Jordan games others would recommend and there are an awful lot that I can remember as absolutely fascinating ("flu game", most of the Suns final series, Lakers 2nd game in his 1st final, Blazers 1st game of the final, Maddison Square Garden - his 5th game after coming back from retirement, this last game shown against Jazz and so on...). You will not make a mistake by watching any of them. But, my best advice is to actually go in present and try to watch some of today's game once it returns if you find the documentary so interesting.

Nothing beats the unknown and the game might hook you as Jordan did to so many people once he started to play. This current season was among the most interesting ones in a long time imo with LeBron trying to get another ring, sudden Lakers - Clippers rivalry and a plethora of great teams all around with an equal chance to win it or to make at least every playoff series interesting. Once things hopefully gets to normal try to catch some of it and see if you like it.

Good reminder about Senna documentary btw. That was absolutely brilliant in it's own right and I just might watch it again. Although, that one was also way more heartbreaking because of the outcome.

In short, a fitting documentary to one of the greatest athletes ever lived. Oh yea, and that really should have been the last shot of his career. Feckin' Wizards comeback.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
NBA 2K20 is down from £50 to £3.99 on the PS Store. Expires in an hour I think. Got to give it a go at that price.

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
NBA 2K20 is down from £50 to £3.99 on the PS Store. Expires in an hour I think. Got to give it a go at that price.
Cheers Solius, always wondered what a 2k game would be like but was never paying £50.

Jim Beam

Was the league smaller back then? I always thought Rodman must have been taller. To be the rebound beast that he was at only 6’7 seems insane.
In his time, there were actually more dominating players in centre/power forward position and the game was played closer to the basket. Only that Rodman was mainly focused on the rebounding part (he was a defensive beast too), had a fantastic positioning along with the sense where the ball will go which made him such a beast in that aspect.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Fecking hell, post of the year! Thank you so much for that, man :cool:

mancan92

That's not the discussion here. The quoted post said you can't get respect and adulation without being a bellend to your teammates. Well, you can, and it's obvious too.
To be that level you need a level of arrogance and maybe a domineering personality but the truth is he never said anything to his teammates that they know that he wouldn't do thats the difference between him being a straight up arsehole and just someone with ridiculous drive and high expectations.

mancan92

His ribbing and comments did feel very forced to me. Almost like he felt like that was how he was supposed to act. Like an alien who has researched locker room culture and tried to replicate it.
I think you'll be surprised how much trash talk is had in american sports. It's rife in football but american sports are another level.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Finished it and thought the same as most, he's a talented, driven player who's also a dick. Found it kinda sad that he seems to be motivated at times by pettiness and the achievments of others over a sense to just achieve things for himself. Expected him to go full Patridge and end a few of his encounters by going, 'needless to say I had the last laugh'.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
People often ask about what Jordan games others would recommend and there are an awful lot that I can remember as absolutely fascinating ("flu game", most of the Suns final series, Lakers 2nd game in his 1st final, Blazers 1st game of the final, Maddison Square Garden - his 5th game after coming back from retirement, this last game shown against Jazz and so on...). You will not make a mistake by watching any of them. But, my best advice is to actually go in present and try to watch some of today's game once it returns if you find the documentary so interesting.

Nothing beats the unknown and the game might hook you as Jordan did to so many people once he started to play. This current season was among the most interesting ones in a long time imo with LeBron trying to get another ring, sudden Lakers - Clippers rivalry and a plethora of great teams all around with an equal chance to win it or to make at least every playoff series interesting. Once things hopefully gets to normal try to catch some of it and see if you like it.

Good reminder about Senna documentary btw. That was absolutely brilliant in it's own right and I just might watch it again. Although, that one was also way more heartbreaking because of the outcome.

In short, a fitting documentary to one of the greatest athletes ever lived. Oh yea, and that really should have been the last shot of his career. Feckin' Wizards comeback.
That's what I'm thinking of doing when everything resumes as normal. I have no idea how it's structured or even how easy it is to watch in the UK. But I'll try and seek it out and give it a go. I always found the actual sport of basketball quite fascinating. It seems like a very entertaining sport to watch.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
This article about a new Lance Armstrong documentary is quite interesting in parallel with the examination of Michael Jordan:
Coming as it does on the heels of 'The Last Dance'’s uncomplicated celebration of success and competition, 'Lance' offers a welcome study in the corruption of the male athletic ego. The line between Michael Jordan – brash, insensitive, gifted, wildly successful – and Lance Armstrong – brash, insensitive, gifted, wildly successful, and a drug cheat – is syringe-thin.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ocumentary-espn-doping-cycling-tour-de-france

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

Good advice. I’ve just watched Lakers vs. Clippers from March (PM if you want the link) and loved it. Obviously better as I didn’t know the score. Will try to watch some play-offs from the last few years too.

Crazy that a few of us have finally got into the NBA, and now probably face the longest wait ever before we get to watch a game. :lol:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I’m finding it so fecking difficult. Started a season with the Lakers on pro and I’m 6-6. Good fun though. My tactics are basically to spam L2 in defence, and dunk with LeBron James in attack. Struggling with anything more complicated.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
So one of the only players gobbier than Jordan Is evidence that Jordan didn’t talk trash?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’m finding it so fecking difficult. Started a season with the Lakers on pro and I’m 6-6. Good fun though. My tactics are basically to spam L2 in defence, and dunk with LeBron James in attack. Struggling with anything more complicated.
Yeah I’m struggling too. Doesn’t help that I don’t know half of what the menus do. I tried doing practise mode to learn all the shot types but there’s just so much. Won my first game in the league mode but it’s on Rookie.

Suedesi

Because my opinion differs from yours, okay then.
Because you write some utter drivel. Jordan "lacking elite mentality" is just pure fecking nonsense. If anything, that's the most compelling part of his persona, his unbelievable competitive drive and elite mentality. Apart from his insane talent.

arnie_ni

Because you write some utter drivel. Jordan "lacking elite mentality" is just pure fecking nonsense. If anything, that's the most compelling part of his persona, his unbelievable competitive drive and elite mentality. Apart from his insane talent.
I also thought it a bit weird he had to find scenarios and in one instance create a made up one to give himself an extra edge.

It almost came across like sometimes he'd struggle for motivation some games and had to find something to get him going.

SirAF

Ageist
I also thought it a bit weird he had to find scenarios and in one instance create a made up one to give himself an extra edge.

It almost came across like sometimes he'd struggle for motivation some games and had to find something to get him going.
To be fair, I’m sure it’s not uncommon for the very best to sometimes lack a bit of motivation for «run of the mill» games. They play an absurd amount of games in a season, right?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I mean it worked, right? Clearly put him above everyone else on the court 99% of the time. Sounds like he motivated himself better than any other player.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
To be fair, I’m sure it’s not uncommon for the very best to sometimes lack a bit of motivation for «run of the mill» games. They play an absurd amount of games in a season, right?
Yeah it's nuts. Pretty sure you play well over 100 games if you make it a few rounds into the playoffs?

I spent a while over in San Fran before for work while the Warriors were at their peak and managed to go to something like 5 games of theirs because they played there at least twice a week in between travelling around playing away games too. It was crazy. No idea how their energy levels kept up.

Still, pretty sure Jordan played an insane amount of minutes compared to most players. Basketball teams rotate hugely, normally. I mean Steph Curry was usually only on the court for around half of a match in the games I watched, unless it was really, really tight.

arnie_ni

I mean it worked, right? Clearly put him above everyone else on the court 99% of the time. Sounds like he motivated himself better than any other player.
Oh yea im not saying it didnt, but its just puts a bit of a human side to him as well.

He wasnt naturally "on" every single day. Sometimes he had to get himself revved up.

Whereas everything you knew or read about him, it was a bit odd hearing him say it.

arnie_ni

Yeah it's nuts. Pretty sure you play well over 100 games if you make it a few rounds into the playoffs?

I spent a while over in San Fran before for work while the Warriors were at their peak and managed to go to something like 5 games of theirs because they played there at least twice a week in between travelling around playing away games too. It was crazy. No idea how their energy levels kept up.

Still, pretty sure Jordan played an insane amount of minutes compared to most players. Basketball teams rotate hugely, normally. I mean Steph Curry was usually only on the court for around half of a match in the games I watched, unless it was really, really tight.
Didnt steph curry sit out something like half their 4th qtrs one season because they were blowing teams away? Thats how good they were

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Didnt steph curry sit out something like half their 4th qtrs one season because they were blowing teams away? Thats how good they were
Yeah they were ridiculous. Watching him and Klay Thompson live on the court at the same time was something else. Basically every time they got the ball anywhere round the three point line they'd score.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah they were ridiculous. Watching him and Klay Thompson live on the court at the same time was something else. Basically every time they got the ball anywhere round the three point line they'd score.
Except when the Raptors were in town.

Jim Beam

That's what I'm thinking of doing when everything resumes as normal. I have no idea how it's structured or even how easy it is to watch in the UK. But I'll try and seek it out and give it a go. I always found the actual sport of basketball quite fascinating. It seems like a very entertaining sport to watch.
Pretty much focus on the playoff. With the time difference it makes pretty hard to watch them tbf and many games in the regular season lack that edge and competitiveness which comes once the playoff starts.

As for NBA 2K20 I think am giving up. Struggling to find any coherence in my attacking game while my nephew came to it pretty soon which was extra annoying. :lol:

Lentwood

I know nothing about basketball and had never really 'got it' - but after watching the documentary I'm really keen to go to a game!

I didn't think anything of the trash talking or so-called 'demanding' personality.....would like to see 15 years of footage of the Utd training ground with the likes of Bruce, Keane, Hughes, Cantona, van Nistelrooy etc...bet there would be 100x more fireworks!

Suedesi

Michael Jordan played a ton of games (72 regular season + playoffs), for over a decade. It's obvious he couldn't be "on" every single game. The fact that he made up "mind games" to keep himself motivated is a plus in my book.

Anyways, I laugh how some posters in here knocking MJ for being harsh and abusive to his teammates. Oh no, he punched Steve Kerr. He was mean to Scott Burrell. Give me a feckin' break. The nineties Bulls are one of the greatest sports dynasties in history, and I doubt they would be half as successful if MJ was such a corrosive influence in the dressing room. MJ doesn't strike me as a guy who was asking his teammates to do things he wasn't prepared to do himself. He had insane talent, drive and work ethic. He pushed his teammates to win things. Other than that, there's not much else to him. You're not dealing with an overly complex character that needs studying in excruciating detail.

SirAF

Ageist
Michael Jordan played a ton of games (72 regular season + playoffs), for over a decade. It's obvious he couldn't be "on" every single game. The fact that he made up "mind games" to keep himself motivated is a plus in my book.

Anyways, I laugh how some posters in here knocking MJ for being harsh and abusive to his teammates. Oh no, he punched Steve Kerr. He was mean to Scott Burrell. Give me a feckin' break. The nineties Bulls are one of the greatest sports dynasties in history, and I doubt they would be half as successful if MJ was such a corrosive influence in the dressing room. MJ doesn't strike me as a guy who was asking his teammates to do things he wasn't prepared to do himself. He had insane talent, drive and work ethic. He pushed his teammates to win things. Other than that, there's not much else to him. You're not dealing with an overly complex character that needs studying in excruciating detail.
I'm in the same camp. Bullying? Come on - we're talking about adult, highly paid athletes who have spent their entire careers in a highly competitive habitat.

Suedesi

I'm in the same camp. Bullying? Come on - we're talking about adult, highly paid athletes who have spent their entire careers in a highly competitive habitat.
Exactly. You can't adore SAF / Roy Keane's leadership and knock MJ for the same.

SteveJ

Scout
Has there ever been a scientific study examining whether sledging, and the MJ kind of 'encouraging', actually works? Or is this all too subjective to be studied?

arnie_ni

Has there ever been a scientific study examining whether sledging, and the MJ kind of 'encouraging', actually works? Or is this all too subjective to be studied?
It could work on one guy and not another.

I dont think take it well tbh, itd get my back up and id just go right back at him.

Tell me what im doing wrong and I'll fix it, calling me shit, will get nothing from me.

Ive been a captain in footy and rugby albeit at a low level, and I can adapt to the person.

Some guys need a kick up the arse, others need an arm around the shoulder

SteveJ

Scout
It could work on one guy and not another.

I dont think take it well tbh, itd get my back up and id just go right back at him.

Tell me what im doing wrong and I'll fix it, calling me shit, will get nothing from me.

Ive been a captain in footy and rugby albeit at a low level, and I can adapt to the person.

Some guys need a kick up the arse, others need an arm around the shoulder
Yeah, yours is surely the better approach.