The Last of Us | The Movie

Wittmann45

One of my favourite games, can't believe a movie is being made though

Always thought the Ellie character looked a lot like a young Ellen Page, probably too old to play the part

Edit: An Uncharted movie is in the works? Has there ever been a good video game movie adaptation?

Last edited:

Nickosaur

What happened to the Bioshock movie? That could have been interesting.

Leg-End

My interest level will be based on who directs it and who the two leads are. If they go for unknowns I fear the worst for it.

thelemon

Yeah Ellen Page did Beyond: Two Souls! I would definitely watch this film anyway.

Cina

Ellen Page was trying to sue the creators of The Last of us due to the similarities of the Ellie character. Believe she had another game coming out at the same time and wasn't happy to have her likeness taken without permission.
well according to @WeasteDevil she looks nothing like Ellie, heh.

anyway, feck off with your film, the game was perfect as it was.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
The Last Of Us tells a brilliant story in about 30 hours so it's going to be hard for a film to match it in a 2 hour run time.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Rather than try to match the game they should instead tell the much needed story of Ish from his letters. Never before have notes in a game been so interesting.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Rather than try to match the game they should instead tell the much needed story of Ish from his letters. Never before have notes in a game been so interesting.
That was a fantastic part of the game and i was gutted they didn't release her/his story in DLC as i would of loved to play it. Isn't that story based on a book though ?

Cina

well there's around 4-5 hours of cut scenes alone in the game. I mean there's no way they could include stuff like Henry and his son into the film, or the big gay fella, without it being really quick and shit. The best thing about TLOU is that you feel you're spending a year with the characters and watching them grow, a 2 hour film just won't do that justice at all.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The game was incredible, fantastic story-telling. I expect this to be a disappointment as they're unlikely to fit everything in.

A TV drama series would be better imo.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
The game was incredible, fantastic story-telling. I expect this to be a disappointment as they're unlikely to fit everything in.

Isn't it too short for a TV series? How long did the game last?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Isn't it too short for a TV series? How long did the game last?
Took me about 14 hours to complete on Hard. I think a short-TV series of, say, 6 episodes would do the game justice. A 2 hour film is too short to get an understanding of the characters and see the bond grow between Ellie & Joel.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
well there's around 4-5 hours of cut scenes alone in the game. I mean there's no way they could include stuff like Henry and his son into the film, or the big gay fella, without it being really quick and shit. The best thing about TLOU is that you feel you're spending a year with the characters and watching them grow, a 2 hour film just won't do that justice at all.
No way there is 5 hours of cut scenes. I reckon max 2 hours. Even that is stretching it a bit

Cina

fair enough, does that include the in game stuff though?

Still, there's dialogue practically the whole way through the game itself, regardless.

stu_1992

Still not really happy that this happening, would rather it's left untouched as a game. I guess with Neil Druckman, one of the creative directors of the game involved, it could have some potential. I'm still sceptical though. A good director/cast would begin to sway me though.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
I played this during the holidays. I don't think it'll work as a movie because when you play the game, you develop a relationship with Joel and Ellie over many hours, whereas in a 2 hour movie, there's not enough time for that relationship between the viewer and the characters to develop, which will take away the best aspect of the game which is how connected you feel to the characters. Scenes like how Joel changes his mind about Ellie going with Tommy simply wouldn't have as much of an impact in a movie.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'd argue that what made this game so great were qualities more regularly attached to cinema, the storyline and the relationship between the characters. I'm not sure the difference in medium itself would be enough to judge it's going to be a flop, but I think Cina put it well when he underlined the difference in duration. That may be the stumbling block for me, and I think it probably would've been better as a series.

EDIT: ffs Melvyn

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Are there any survival films which manage to portray human nature well and create interesting characters who you learn to care for? I agree, TV would suit it far better.

Alock1

No, I take it I should?

Cina

The Road is pretty good, don't think it did quite enough justice to the brilliant novel.

Just don't watch it hungover like I did, it's basically two hours of thinking absolutely awful things are going to happen over and over again. Tough to watch and made my Fear so much worse that night.

But it's quite similar to TLOU in style actually, minus the zombies.

Alock1

Oh it's a novel? That interests me even more.. I haven't read nearly enough horror stuff - especially survival, and haven't read a zombie book since World War Z.

I'm guessing I'd be better off reading the book first?

Ash_G

Yeah I agree, a short series maybe 6 episodes or so would be right, that way they could properly flesh out the characters as well as fit in the action.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
No, I take it I should?
The Road is pretty good, don't think it did quite enough justice to the brilliant novel.

Just don't watch it hungover like I did, it's basically two hours of thinking absolutely awful things are going to happen over and over again. Tough to watch and made my Fear so much worse that night.

But it's quite similar to TLOU in style actually, minus the zombies.
Exactly what Cina said, word for word. The book is a masterpiece for me, but the film is still a damn good watch and Viggo Mortensen is excellent. It really conveys the 'end of days' feeling, and the horrible aspect of human nature. It's really well shot and the score is beautiful as well. One of the best post-apocalyptic films imo, and as Cina said, similar in some aspects to TLOU (which is why it came to mind).

You can read the novel and watch the film in any order I think, you'll most likely find the novel better whichever way you choose to approach it but you'll probably still enjoy the film.

I think Children of Men is also great in that same genre (no zombies, but post apo), check it out if you haven't.

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
The Road is both a good novel and film.