Gaming The Last Of Us

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Couldnt find a thread on this so thought why not? Its a PS3 exclusive in the works at the moment and being developed by naughty dog.

Some nice screenies of it were released today

PS3 Exclusive "The Last of Us" Gets 7 Gorgeous Screenshots | TechnoBuffalo

Previously teased with both a bizarre trailer and an awesome easter egg in Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, The Last of Us was fully revealed during the Spike Video Game Awards show over this past weekend. This PlayStation 3 exclusive centers around the aftermath of a brain infecting parasite and the chaos it causes.

Supposing you haven’t already seen the game’s reveal trailer, take time to do so now. If you’re a fan of the Uncharted franchise, then you’ll likely be able to connect the dots between the character animation in the clip and the typical PlayStation 3 work of Naughty Dog. That team is developing The Last of Us.

Sony and Naughty Dog have released seven in-game screenshots for The Last of Us. They come from the reveal trailer, and show off a taste of the very nice visuals we’ve all come to expect from the developers involved. Check them out in the gallery at the foot of this story.

Some chatter has popped up both around the web and in the comments for stories featuring this game; what do you folks think about Naughty Dog’s choice to make, effectively, a zombie title? Will their penchant for character development, dialogue and storytelling be enough to pull the most frustrated among us out of zombie genre fatigue? Or, will this game fall victim to a far too saturated game type?

Given the recent reveal, there’s still a lot more information to come about The Last of Us. As it does, we’ll be on it.

PS3 Exclusive The Last of Us gets Trailer, Details (Video) | TechnoBuffalo

The Last of Us, the brand new, upcoming PlayStation 3 exclusive, got the full trailer reveal you see above over the weekend. It was announced that this project is being developed by Naughty Dog, which explains the recently found easter egg for the game in Uncharted 3‘s campaign.

Beyond the trailer, we didn’t have too much about the game to go on … until now.

Here’s what little of the game Sony shared concerning its plot and premise by way of press release:

The Last of Us is a genre-defining experience that blends survival and action elements to tell a character driven story about a population decimated by a modern plague. Abandoned cities are being reclaimed by nature and the remaining survivors are killing each other for food, weapons and whatever they can get their hands on. Joel, a ruthless survivor, and Ellie, a brave young teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together to survive their journey across what remains of the United States.

If you’ve ever played an Uncharted game, then you know what Naughty Dog is capable of when it comes to the cinematic delivery of a narrative. Some would say that the team stand among the best in the industry for that reason. Evan Wells, Co-President of Naughty Dog, spoke to that mantra in the press release:

“We are excited to finally unveil The Last of Us, a project the team has been working hard on for some time…Naughty Dog’s mission is to change the way people experience videogames. We are confident The Last of Us will take a leap forward in cinematic gaming and storytelling, providing gamers with an experience unlike anything else in the industry.”

You can bet we’ll have more on The Last of Us as it comes.

The Spike Video Game Awards ran on Saturday night. During the show, several brand new trailers for projects both freshly revealed and already known were made public. As part of our early week coverage, we’ll be posting those trailers along with additional game details from the publishers and developers behind each project.

If you’ve not seen the media before, enjoy it. If you already saw it on Saturday night, get pumped to enjoy it again. However, like we said, we will be working to bring details beyond what was revealed during the show.

Im liking the look of it so far

Ray Peterson

Reserve Team Player
This game probably needs its own thread, but what vibe does this artwork give you?

Seems to me as if the player is going to have to scavenge for supplies in order to survive, not just shooting things, as I think that ammo will also be in short supply. And the animals, is that sort of I Am Legend where he tries to kill the deer? You have to kill wild animals in order to get food?
This looks very good. Naughty Dog are like Rare used to be for Nintendo. You just know the game will be good.

iSparky

Love that last artist rendering

WeasteDevil

It looks as if you'll have to deal with two types of enemies. One, those infected by the fungus and two, those not infected by the fungus but in serious shit just like you, willing to steal, rape, and murder to survive.

Art

Art the artist
The main character looks a awful lot like Nathan Drake with a prominent chin bone and beard. Disappointing character designs tbf. The game looks genius though.

iSparky

The main character looks a awful lot like Nathan Drake with a prominent chin bone and beard. Disappointing character designs tbf. The game looks genius though.
That was the first thing that I thought of when I saw him, an older version of Drake.

iSparky

I think that there is some connection between the two games. That newspaper on the bar in Uncharted 3 is more than a simple Easter Egg I think. This could be Drake's brother or something like that.
In fact, it would not surprise me one little bit if Nathan Drake turns up in this.
There has been a lot of talk about this in various articles and blogs, I would not be surprised either if there is a connection there or if Drake even makes an appearance in the game

Art

Art the artist
Was lucky enough to meet Robh Ruppel today. A great injection of inspiration today.Amazing person to talk to and share ideas with.

For those who don't know Robh Ruppel is the Art Director of the Uncharted franchise from Naughty dog.

Hal9000

I'm hoping this is a some what open world survival game. As big and as lush the environments in Uncharted are, you always seem to just continue going forward in them.

I am hoping that this really is a survival game, where you really have to manage food, equipment and ammo. Where you really have to pick your battles, do you fight and waste some ammo or do you hide in a building and just wait for the zombies/murderous survivors to pass by. Do you choose to kill a deer for food and risk alerting something that wants to have you for food, do you go scavaging for stuff in a building that may or may not have someone wanting to tear your face off.

To many games, we have this type of stuff promised, but when you come to play the game, you have ammo and health in quantity and you can just walk through the game blasting everything in sight.

I think that's my main problem with survival games, i don't think really portray that you are just "surviving" well enough.

WeasteDevil

I think that this is very early artwork.

It screams to me of being an older Drake with his daughter from Elena Fisher (thus the name Ellie). I think that's how they started with this, but over time, they've developed it into something different, and the girl's character model has changed also.

Lance Uppercut

Have anything to do with how Uncharted plays. It might take place at the same time however.
As I said, I hope it has nothing to do with UC. No mentions, no Easter Eggs, and I certainly don't want Drake showing up in it.

WeasteDevil

Even there one does not look like the other!

Still one nothing to do with the other. They modelled a generic 14 year old, because of the name (I think came from Elena Fischer) people with an Ellen Page fetish want to stick it onto Ellen Page.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This looks awesome. I just hope it's an open world, long game and not a few hours of adventure like Uncharted, as good as the series is.

Hal9000

To be honest, a lot of people, even some media outlets thought she was modelled on Ellen Page when the trailer first came out. She does not look exactly the same, but the similarities are there.

I don't think she modelled just to be a "generic" 14 year old. Naughty Dog took inspiration from real life people for the character designs in Uncharted. Nate is modelled after Jonny Knoxville, the rest look pretty similar to there respective voice actors. I'm sure that practise will continue with this..

This is the voice actress that is doing voice and mo cap of Ellie.

WeasteDevil

To be honest, a lot of people, even some media outlets thought she was modelled on Ellen Page when the trailer first came out. She does not look exactly the same, but the similarities are there.

I don't think she modelled just to be a "generic" 14 year old. Naughty Dog took inspiration from real life people for the character designs in Uncharted. Nate is modelled after Jonny Knoxville, the rest look pretty similar to there respective voice actors. I'm sure that practise will continue with this..

This is the voice actress that is doing voice and mo cap of Ellie.

As I said, I think that this was very early artwork:

They were not looking around modelling her on anyone. If anytihing it looks like the daughter of Elena Fisher.

iSparky

So this teaser kind of video was posted onto the games youtube channel. A bit odd but im guessing its the pretext sneak peak to the game or something?

With regards to the girl looking like Ellen Page, I dont think she does but I would totally feck Ellen Page