Film The Legend of Zelda - Live-Action Film

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I have too many questions...

1. Who will play Link? Borderline impossible task, so good luck!

2. Will he talk?

3. Original story or based on one of the games?

Top dollar production quality is demanded if you're going for live-action. The monsters can't look like shit.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'd be impressed if Link was mute throughout. Ballsy move for a blockbuster.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
By all accounts Wes Ball's Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is getting very good feedback within the studio.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This was inevitable. Video game movies are taking over from superhero movies.

decorativeed

Hmm. Sony Pictures and Avi Arad's names being attached to this is worrying. And the Mario movie was shite. Hopefully they'll make good on this though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I have too many questions...

1. Who will play Link? Borderline impossible task, so good luck!

2. Will he talk?

3. Original story or based on one of the games?

Top dollar production quality is demanded if you're going for live-action. The monsters can't look like shit.
Timothée Chalamet

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Timothée Chalamet
Shit, you're right. Every nerdy girl I know had a childhood crush on Link so they'll probably pick a young, skinny man who can satisfy the female gaze. I guess that makes the tiny guy who plays Spiderman an option too? He doesn't look as elvish though.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Link is 5"2. Some actor is going to have to come clean about their real height to land this role.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Should have been animated. I feel this will be a disaster. Probably cast Chris Rock as Link or some shit.

Kaos

I don't see how you make something like this without being boring as feck.

The Zelda franchise was never about the story or characters. In fact pretty much every Zelda game's narrative could be condensed down to big evil baddie doing big evil baddie things, voiceless underdog hero defeats big evil baddie, saves princess and the day is saved.

Granted the Mario live action saw success, but unlike Zelda, the Mario characters have plenty of goofy charm and colour to make them compelling. Link has the personality and charisma of a wet mop, and Ganandorf is about as one dimensional as the worst villains in cinema history.

Smells like another shameless attempt to cash in after the success of the Mario movie, while being oblivious as to what made it so compelling to begin with.

Right that's enough of my bitter tirade, I'm off to play tears of the kingdom.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

The Zelda franchise was never about the story or characters. In fact pretty much every Zelda game's narrative could be condensed down to big evil baddie doing big evil baddie things, voiceless underdog hero defeats big evil baddie, saves princess and the day is saved.

Granted the Mario live action saw success, but unlike Zelda, the Mario characters have plenty of goofy charm and colour to make them compelling. Link has the personality and charisma of a wet mop, and Ganandorf is about as one dimensional as the worst villains in cinema history.

Smells like another shameless attempt to cash in after the success of the Mario movie, while being oblivious as to what made it so compelling to begin with.

It'll be exactly what you describe - middle of the road and probably as reliant on colour saturation in the same way the Mario Bros. movie was.

I enjoyed that for what it's worth but it was stunningly harmless and took no creative risks, relying almost wholly on a sea of "ooo I got that reference".

It'll make more money in an hour than I will in a lifetime.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

They should do something a little more outside of the box, more akin to Links Awakening

Sara125

They should do something a little more outside of the box, more akin to Links Awakening
Totally here for this as this is one of my favourite out of the franchise. Maybe centre the movie around the quest to the Wind Fish’s egg?

Hamnat

Link talks all the time in Manga etc. I think it will be fine if he speaks. And they can toss in some references to his more game like grunts and gestures for fun. I think it would have been far safer to do an animated feature. Live action is going to be expensive to be able to look good. And like others have said the story and lore isn't that deep to pull from.

This will be a more difficult property than Mario by far to develop into equal success especially live action.

RedDevilQuebecois

Calling Margot Robbie as Princess Zelda
That would be glorious. :cool::cool::cool:

While casting Link would be a challenge, I think we can find someone who would look "elvish" enough. Tell me there is a fairly young British actor out there who can actually make heads turn like Orlando Bloom did for the very elvish Legolas several years ago.

I somehow see Dave Bautista as a candidate to portray Ganondorf with the physique and a solid track record in those brutish roles, especially as Glossu Rabban Harkonnen (Dune). That is unless you can find someone more menacing and yet maintain that imposing physical presence (Jason Momoa?).

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

While casting Link would be a challenge, I think we can find someone who would look "elvish" enough. Tell me there is a fairly young British actor out there who can actually make heads turn like Orlando Bloom did for the very elvish Legolas several years ago.

I somehow see Dave Bautista as a candidate to portray Ganondorf with the physique and a solid track record in those brutish roles, especially as Glossu Rabban Harkonnen (Dune). That is unless you can find someone more menacing and yet maintain that imposing physical presence (Jason Momoa?).
Harry Styles motherfecker.

Unam333

This will flop as hard as the Death Note live action series on Netflix.

There are no actors who can portray Link looks-wise. Zelda maybe, but not Link.

Should have been an animation film:

My kids will love it.

Sara125

Someone suggested Timothée Chalamet as Link and I can actually see that. Agree with your suggestions too for Ganondorf. I’d also throw in The Rock as a possibility.

GazTheLegend

Plot twist: Link isn't even in it and it's all about the adventures of GirlBoss™ Zelda going around crushing monsters effortlessly and quipping Marvel style, all while in the background my soul recedes further into a dark nihilistic abyss at the state of modern cinema.

(Hopefully it's great, clearly the success of the Mario Bros movie has emboldened movie makers.)