The little strange things about having a winter world cup

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Sausages don't actually contain pork mate.

This is the adult version of being told Santa doesn't exist or Wrestling isn't real.
In my country they can be made from everything. From old horses to old hens, anything goes haha.

Spaghetti

Mom's
You are telling us to be more cultured but ironically, it sounds like you are the one who doesn’t know anything about the country.

If you knew the Middle East well then there are far more appropriate countries in the Middle East which could have hosted it. Qatar is a logistical and demographical nightmare for a tournament such as this. It’s nothing to do with being afraid of a different culture. I hope your going there since your preaching to everyone else to go?
I’m not sure what to make of that. I don’t think you understood my post, or you don’t understand pronouns very well.

I do not know anything about Qatar and I do not know much about the Middle East. I said “it’s a chance for us to learn something about other parts of the world”.

The English pronoun “us” includes the speaker, in this case that’s me. In no way was I claiming to be culturally superior, nor was I preaching for people to go. I’m excited to learn more about Qatar, but from afar, as I do with all World Cups (I have never attended a World Cup match so my absence is not due to the location).

Spaghetti

Mom's
The majority of people who live in that country live in poverty. They can’t travel without their bosses say so (they have control over their passports). So thinking that tourist flocking there to watch games while hundreds of people died due to poor conditions to make the stadiums is just stupid. There’s nothing worldly about it. I doubt many locals will have enough money to see these games.
Then it’s a great opportunity for these people to see a World Cup, isn’t it?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
One of the my bigger problems concerning the Qatar world cup well aside the workers violation concerns. Hopefully it doesn't mess with club football that much as I'll imagine a heap of injuries will very likely cripple a lot of clubs this coming winter.

Vaultech

Can't imagine there's much demand of fans wanting to fly to Qatar. I can guarantee there will be loads of empty stadiums.
Nobody is travelling to Qatar mate.
Maybe less fans from the Western world, but there are still huge demands by fans that care far less about human rights issues. Fans from the middle East will be less bothered by the human rights issues. Fans from South Asia will ignore most of the issues. Fans from China certainly aren't going to care.

Europe and US aren't the only places with people rich enough to afford a world cup ticket and associated cost.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
I’m not sure what to make of that. I don’t think you understood my post, or you don’t understand pronouns very well.

I do not know anything about Qatar and I do not know much about the Middle East. I said “it’s a chance for us to learn something about other parts of the world”.

The English pronoun “us” includes the speaker, in this case that’s me. In no way was I claiming to be culturally superior, nor was I preaching for people to go. I’m excited to learn more about Qatar, but from afar, as I do with all World Cups (I have never attended a World Cup match so my absence is not due to the location).
:lol: Maybe if it didn't take a World Cup for "us" to learn about other parts of the world you'd know why Qatar is completely unsuitable to host. That's before even considering how they won their bid.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
The novelty of this World Cup is hard to swallow when you know 6500 people died to build the stadiums out there.
I know I’ll most likely watch some of it but it makes me feel a bit sick knowing it’s all a plastic show to basically brush atrocities under the carpet and knowingly and obviously too.

Just imagine the pundits etc sitting in the studios saying anything positive about it is hard to take.

Idxomer

Can't imagine there's much demand of fans wanting to fly to Qatar. I can guarantee there will be loads of empty stadiums.
It's the first world cup in the region, the stadiums will be full.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

I am not sure I want to watch, but probably will.

So stupid to give it to Qatar, but we have known about it for a long time now.

Next season going to be so odd.

SoCross

Stadiums will be full! You’d get a lot of people from the Asian region coming.

Also, Qatar airways:drool:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Christmas won't be Christmas without the Boxing Day league games, one of my favourite parts of Christmas is the football schedule and how the league shapes up for early January. It won't be the same, though at least just like every Christmas I won't think about Italy very much.

Mshafeek

The majority of people who live in that country live in poverty. They can’t travel without their bosses say so (they have control over their passports). So thinking that tourist flocking there to watch games while hundreds of people died due to poor conditions to make the stadiums is just stupid. There’s nothing worldly about it. I doubt many locals will have enough money to see these games.
The ignorance is damn high with this one. I think it would be futile trying to correct you.

Red_toad

Summer World Cup will not really affect me. Will see a brief interest from Aussie media that’ll vanish once NZ & Aus are out. Hopefully SBS won’t have all the coverage!!!

suheilsworld

Tickets allocations seems to say that it’s booked. How many actually travel is another story. But having paid and booked for the tickets, I’m sure fans will travel. Plus many people are forgetting that for us Asians staying in gulf and for all the south East Asian people, it’ll be a golden opportunity to travel to a World Cup event as it’s relatively cheaper than traveling to a European or an American country. Don’t think the matches would go empty

suheilsworld

The novelty of this World Cup is hard to swallow when you know 6500 people died to build the stadiums out there.
I know I’ll most likely watch some of it but it makes me feel a bit sick knowing it’s all a plastic show to basically brush atrocities under the carpet and knowingly and obviously too.

Just imagine the pundits etc sitting in the studios saying anything positive about it is hard to take.
When you have pundits like Richard Keys, Andy Gray, Nigel De Jong, Arsene Wenger , Didier Domi, Marseile Desaily (all hired by BeIN sports - owned by Qatar) , it won’t be a problem signing praises of the country. I’ve been watching their broadcast as they are the official broadcasters of all epl, la liga , European tournament here in uae

Ok fair enough, sorry.

I was posting from the point of someone who would typically want to travel to a tournament. That’s why many of us are so upset about the decision to host it in Qatar. It was not a fair decision to host it there, it was pure corruption and wasn’t done with fans in mind.

Even ignoring the human rights etc. Due to their limited accommodation and infrastructure, this is going to be the most expensive World Cup in history for fans. Qatar don’t have a large population either. It doesn’t make sense in any way to host a World Cup where such a small amount of people can enjoy it.

brian017

Christmas won't be Christmas without the Boxing Day league games, one of my favourite parts of Christmas is the football schedule and how the league shapes up for early January. It won't be the same, though at least just like every Christmas I won't think about Italy very much.
Good news for you so. The PL returns on Boxing Day! Just 8 days after the final

markgiggsy11

I'm going to this! However, it's already seeming like it's not very well managed and it's going to be super expensive.

- Getting tickets for the games through FIFA was a pain.
- The Hayya card isn't as easy to apply for and get as they say.
- Flying there and back is hyper-expensive.
- Stay options are very limited. And it is super expensive to even get a decent place. This is one thing I am still struggling to sort out.
- Alcohol will not be easily available. There are strict rules AND ramifications on public intoxication (don't mean to drink and run riot but there are even rules about where you can drink and take public transport after etc. etc. - As in Metro and buses on gameday).
- Alcohol where available (fan parks) is very expensive. And I get it's the WC so probably prices will be inflated to help the local economy but buying alcohol has something called a "sin tax" in the region and that makes it even more expensive.
- At stadiums during games, alcohol isn't available unless you buy hospitality passes and those prices are out of reach for most people.

If anyone reading this is in the region or going, can I reach out for help on things to do, places to stay, etc.? Thanks!

Spaghetti

Mom's
Ok fair enough, sorry.

I was posting from the point of someone who would typically want to travel to a tournament. That’s why many of us are so upset about the decision to host it in Qatar. It was not a fair decision to host it there, it was pure corruption and wasn’t done with fans in mind.

Even ignoring the human rights etc. Due to their limited accommodation and infrastructure, this is going to be the most expensive World Cup in history for fans. Qatar don’t have a large population either. It doesn’t make sense in any way to host a World Cup where such a small amount of people can enjoy it.
What about fans from Qatar and neighbouring countries? It won’t be the most expensive for them. Qatar is right next to countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia, which have huge populations and it will allow them to easily attend a tournament for probably the first time ever. This is a WORLD Cup.

You wouldn’t make the same argument if the tournament was being held in Ireland.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Good news for you so. The PL returns on Boxing Day! Just 8 days after the final
I personally think this is great. They don’t need more than 8 days after the tournament. Not all players compete, and only a handful (46 to be precise) make it to the very end. The majority get a long rest.

What about fans from Qatar and neighbouring countries? It won’t be the most expensive for them. Qatar is right next to countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia, which have huge populations and it will allow them to easily attend a tournament for probably the first time ever. This is a WORLD Cup.

You wouldn’t make the same argument if the tournament was being held in Ireland.
Qatar population is 2 million, no country with such a small population should host the biggest tournament in the world.

You completely miss the point. Ireland would never be awarded a World Cup for those reasons. They would do a joint World Cup with us. Qatar was awarded the World Cup from corruption, it was nothing to do with anything positive.

kthanksbye

Posted this in the other thread yesterday.

https://www.dohanews.co/which-countries-have-applied-for-most-world-cup-tickets-so-far/

Fans in the host country represented the biggest contingent of those who rushed to the website to request early-bird tickets, followed closely by Argentina, Mexico, the United States, the United Arab Emirates, England, India, Saudi Arabia, Brazil and France.

Middle east is a football crazy place, even India has a lot of fans following football, and the world cup has never been closer.
I think empty stadiums will be a rare sight unless it's a game between two really small nations.

Small in terms of footballing history, rank and players.

Deery

Dreary
I personally think this is great. They don’t need more than 8 days after the tournament. Not all players compete, and only a handful (46 to be precise) make it to the very end. The majority get a long rest.
It’s an absolutely terrible idea, players are already overran with how much football there is being played, jumping into a league season 8 days after an unknown winter World Cup is ridiculous..

Spaghetti

Mom's
It’s an absolutely terrible idea, players are already overran with how much football there is being played, jumping into a league season 8 days after an unknown winter World Cup is ridiculous..
8 days after watching football on tv. How many Premier League players will be in the final? Surely it’s an absolute maximum of about 35 and that would be if the final was England v Scotland. In reality, it will probably be about 5 PL players.

We don’t need more than 8 days after that. The majority will be well rested.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
England will be in the final and England will win it.

I don't know why some people can't understand this.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Qatar population is 2 million, no country with such a small population should host the biggest tournament in the world.

You completely miss the point. Ireland would never be awarded a World Cup for those reasons. They would do a joint World Cup with us. Qatar was awarded the World Cup from corruption, it was nothing to do with anything positive.
Qatar and neighbouring countries. They’re going mad for it over there. What a fantastic opportunity for football to grow in that area of the world.

If you think this is the first time that money has played a part in the awarding of a World Cup to a country, then you are naive.

RoyH1

I love going to big screen showings that my local city council organizes with the bar and restaurants of the area. Those will be a bit of a tough sell in subzero temperatures.

youngrell

Do we know the kick off times yet?

I am away for a long weekend with mates when it's on, so will be good to watch with them in the place we're renting.

JuriM

Having 4 game days, I can't remember if we have had 4 game days before - maybe 2010 or earlier? With 4 different starting times in a row.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I think it's a nice one-off to have it in (European) winter season, just sucks that it's in Qatar with all the corruption and slavery issues surrounding it.

Planning of building a sort of winter bar in my garden together with my brother in law. Big screen, a few Jäger bottles and you're sorted for a lot of great nights in an otherwise dull period (56 of the 64 games are played between November 21 and December 6).

Uniquim

Usually the World Cup overlaps with vacations and/or slower times at the job, so you have time to watch the games.

This one won't.

Also the Bier Garden / Public Screen one mentioned above is one of the best things about summer world cups. Summer, sun, and alcohol. Even the friends that don't particularly like football will join that.

Deery

Dreary
8 days after watching football on tv. How many Premier League players will be in the final? Surely it’s an absolute maximum of about 35 and that would be if the final was England v Scotland. In reality, it will probably be about 5 PL players.

We don’t need more than 8 days after that. The majority will be well rested.
Like talking to a brick wall.