The Long Dark

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Anybody else tried this survival sandbox? I was reluctant at first as there are a ton of survival open-worlders at the moment, but this one looked promising as it moves away from clichéd zombie horror.

Quite simply, you're a pilot who has crashed in the Canadian wilderness. There has been some kind of global disaster, and all the settlements you come across are empty.

The aim is quite simply to survive at the moment, although it's still in development and they're adding a story mode. I'm just enjoying the 'live as long as possible' mode. The game is absolutely savage! Everything in the environment wants to kill you: The extreme cold, the wildlife, dehydration, starvation, disease (first day I played I got food poisoning) you can even croak from drinking unsanitary water (second time I played, refilled my bottle from somebody's toilet bowl in an abandoned log cabin).

If you're in to survival and want something that aims at realism rather than the undead, I can't recommend it enough. First game to have me jump out of my skin in years, when a pesky bear mauled me as I slept next to a campfire.

SirAnderson

2 Threads were created, this is the most "recent" of the 2 so will post here.

The 4th episode just dropped for Wintermute, the story mode version. Pretty enjoyable experience I had, started 2 weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, would recommend for those who like survival games, but with a story.
Mind you, episode 5 is still a ways from being released so it kinda ends on a cliffhanger but still worth playing it right now.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
2 Threads were created, this is the most "recent" of the 2 so will post here.

The 4th episode just dropped for Wintermute, the story mode version. Pretty enjoyable experience I had, started 2 weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, would recommend for those who like survival games, but with a story.
Mind you, episode 5 is still a ways from being released so it kinda ends on a cliffhanger but still worth playing it right now.
Thanks for the info. Think gonna wait till the game is complete.

Previously did the wait for Kentucky Route Zero and it was worth it to just grasp everything in one go.

SirAnderson

Thanks for the info. Think gonna wait till the game is complete.

Previously did the wait for Kentucky Route Zero and it was worth it to just grasp everything in one go.
Word is not to expect episode 5 any time soon, maybe not even next year. Honestly I thought I'd be irritated when I got to the end, but the game is so fulfilling I didn't care too much about the fact that there still needs 1 more episode to bring the story to it's finality. Then again, I fully understand the preference to wait it out.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Word is not to expect episode 5 any time soon, maybe not even next year. Honestly I thought I'd be irritated when I got to the end, but the game is so fulfilling I didn't care too much about the fact that there still needs 1 more episode to bring the story to it's finality. Then again, I fully understand the preference to wait it out.
I hear ya, survival aspect of it is probably so engaging it could have none of the narration whatsoever. I also heard when you encounter wolf pack it's actually realistic to the point, they can harrass you without attacking till you lose body temperature and ammo.

Tempting to stop waiting and just dive in, to be honest.

SirAnderson

I hear ya, survival aspect of it is probably so engaging it could have none of the narration whatsoever. I also heard when you encounter wolf pack it's actually realistic to the point, they can harrass you without attacking till you lose body temperature and ammo.

Tempting to stop waiting and just dive in, to be honest.
Yeah you would definitely not feel hard done by. There are also challenges that can be done, I haven't even started on them yet, but they look brutal.

I've had a lull lately when it comes to PC games, just couldn't get myself motivated to finishing one, but I couldn't stop playing this one, playing till the wee hours of the morning without realizing it and the wife complaining :lol: Been a while since that happened!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Loved this when I played it some time ago. The atmosphere is incredible.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Yeah you would definitely not feel hard done by. There are also challenges that can be done, I haven't even started on them yet, but they look brutal.

I've had a lull lately when it comes to PC games, just couldn't get myself motivated to finishing one, but I couldn't stop playing this one, playing till the wee hours of the morning without realizing it and the wife complaining :lol: Been a while since that happened!
I've pretty much gave up on modern PC gaming if not some of the Indie titles. Now it's just mostly playing/replaying retro games from the 90s... In my case big hopes in Long Dark, Valheim and few other like upcoming OxenFree II.

Other than that, there's nothing to root for from current state of the industry, at this point lack of motivation for gaming became natural reaction.

SirAnderson

I've pretty much gave up on modern PC gaming if not some of the Indie titles. Now it's just mostly playing/replaying retro games from the 90s... In my case big hopes in Long Dark, Valheim and few other like upcoming OxenFree II.

Other than that, there's nothing to root for from current state of the industry, at this point lack of motivation for gaming became natural reaction.
Probably feel the same way. I keep trying but in the end it feels more like a chore trying to finish it. Cyberpunk I gave up after about 2 hours of trying, uninstalled it.
AC Valhalla was decent, just waaay to open world for my liking, and played it just because I've been playing it from the beginning.
I'm dreading playing Far Cry 6 but will give it a go still :lol:

But yeah, feel like Indie titles are more my style these days. I'm draw to storyline more than anything else in a game.

Undoubtedly now since playing this game, I want to jump into something else hoping to replicated the enjoyment. :wenger: