The looming spectre of.....The Conference League

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It's safe to say top 4 is more or less gone. There is a sliver of a chance for 5th place and whatever permutations require that to get a CL spot.

So we're currently qualifying for the Europa League. We're all very familiar with it by now.

But apparently if we finish 7th, we're in the Conference League.

Champions League is where everyone wants to be. Europa League is its ugly cousin but you tell yourself that "Europa sounds fancy at least." and you may encounter another one of Europe's big names having a shit season giving you the pretence of a big European night, e.g: Barca last season.

But The Conference League. It just sounds vile. What happens if we qualify for it? Other than it being bantered and memed about for a month. Play the u-18s in it? Actually go for it?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
"Conference league" sounds like a boring seminar in a two-star hotel that your company forces you to attend

Juicy Juiced

Go for it. We need to build winning mentality from stratch.

We are not Fergie United anymore, other teams are not scared of us anymore.

Aretak

You know it's a great competition when David Moyes' West Ham are the reigning champions.

Red Star One

I actually really like the Conference League and I think it’s a fantastic tournament giving a chance for lesser clubs from smaller counties to taste the European glory. Football is a very unequal sport already so I think it’s great to have such competition and I know it already gave some teams and fans their best moments in history.

but for United and clubs of our reputation it’s obviously below our standard. We’d just play very heavily rotated squad in the first matches and maybe give it a bigger go from quarterfinals on.

Irwin99

It's safe to say top 4 is more or less gone. There is a sliver of a chance for 5th place and whatever permutations require that to get a CL spot.

So we're currently qualifying for the Europa League. We're all very familiar with it by now.

Champions League is where everyone wants to be. Europa League is its ugly cousin but you tell yourself that "Europa sounds fancy at least." and you may encounter another one of Europe's big names having a shit season giving you the pretence of a big European night, e.g: Barca last season.

But The Conference League. It just sounds vile. What happens if we qualify for it? Other than it being bantered and memed about for a month. Play the u-18s in it? Actually go for it?
How does that actually work? I know it's reliant on something to do with champions league but I haven't quite understood it. 5th place and champions league football would be hilarious after the horrors of this season.

I think we'll finish where we are now to be honest. Brighton and Newcastle aren't exactly doing great either but we need a massive run of wins to get near Villa and Spurs and bump up the goal difference which is effectively another point at this stage.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
I actually really like the Conference League and I think it’s a fantastic tournament giving a chance for lesser clubs from smaller counties to taste the European glory. Football is a very unequal sport already so I think it’s great to have such competition and I know it already gave some teams and fans their best moments in history.

but for United and clubs of our reputation it’s obviously below our standard. We’d just play very heavily rotated squad in the first matches and maybe give it a bigger go from quarterfinals on.
Very fair point. Supporting a club of United's size sometimes blinds you from the perspective of much smaller clubs. There'll be teams in the ECL that are living the dream.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I suspect we'll still make 4th. We're only 8 points off with 12 fixtures to go and ETH usually pulls a run of points out of his arse just when everyone thinks he's on the ropes. Also, I don't think Villa will be able to sustain at this level through 38.

AndySmith1990

Go for it. Maybe Ten Hag can pull off a famous league cup & conference league double

daba

Just play the reserves
If we get Conference League we should absolutely be giving an extra couple of youth players a shot. For example if we were in it this current season, the likes of Amad, Hannibal & Pellistri (before they went on loan), Forson, Kambwala should all have received some minutes.

Europa League is a slightly different beast, but if we have an easy group then the principle of having an extra youth player or two getting minutes should apply.

Gordon S

We look dodgy against every team we play. We are in no position to feel superior to anything. If we manage to get it, of course we try to go far in it.

Dannn411

If we gut the team this summer and sell/release half the squad, I can live with a conference league campaign. Anything other than that would be a living nightmare and I would not watch a single match. I just don't want to see the same crappy players anymore.

AshRK

The way we are playing conference league would be embarrassed to have us. Let us not pretend we are some top side who are better than conference.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We will get Europa League. The teams below us are worse than us. Not that it's much of a prize. Really not looking forward to a return to Thursday and Sunday games.

soapythecat

This team and manager don’t deserve to play any lucrative European football next season. feck the lot of them. Hopefully Chelsea pick up the conference position tomorrow. Our rebuild doesn’t really need additional football next season either. We can still recruit good players and maybe the silly purchases will be put off without European football too.

theatreofdreams777

We're not in a position to turn up our noses to any trophy really, especially to a European trophy. Barring last year's league cup win, the last time we won something was 2017 Europa League which is pretty awful for a club like Man United. And people turned up their noses at that one too.

The notion that only PL & CL matter is absurd. It's important to keep winning something even when you had barren periods in terms of the biggest trophies. I'd also want United to go as long as they can in any cup and try to win it no matter how small it is. Win as much as possible; would you prefer the '91 Cup Winners Cup to be in our trophy cabinet or not? That's history.

If we end up playing in it, maybe play the group stage with a squad that's mostly consisting young players, but after that take it seriously and go for it. Complete the European set.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
We're not in a position to turn up our noses to any trophy really, especially to a European trophy. Barring last year's league cup win, the last time we won something was 2017 Europa League which is pretty awful for a club like Man United. And people turned up their noses at that one too.

The notion that only PL & CL matter is absurd. It's important to keep winning something even when you had barren periods in terms of the biggest trophies. I'd also want United to go as long as they can in any cup and try to win it no matter how small it is. Win as much as possible; would you prefer the '91 Cup Winners Cup to be in our trophy cabinet or not? That's history.

If we end up playing in it, maybe play the group stage with a squad that's mostly consisting young players, but after that take it seriously and go for it. Complete the European set.
Spot on

Gandalf

Go for it. Maybe Ten Hag can pull off a famous league cup & conference league double
Not likely. I don’t believe INEOS have any interest in keeping ETH regardless of their diplomatic comments and they certainly won’t if he finishes 7th or lower. Only chance for Erik to get another shot is if he can somehow win the FA cup so this Wednesday might be the biggest game of his career.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not likely. I don’t believe INEOS have any interest in keeping ETH regardless of their diplomatic comments and they certainly won’t if he finishes 7th or lower. Only chance for Erik to get another shot is if he can somehow win the FA cup so this Wednesday might be the biggest game of his career.
If it didn't save Van Gaal with a more reactive board, it shouldn't save ETH.

ETH should get the sack regardless of how the season plays out.

joedirt87

We are not a team equipped to deal with multiple competitions. It’s a perfect opportunity to use solely for rotation and youth.

Charlie Foley

Couldn’t put it better myself

always_hoping

Europa league and reaching the last 8 is probably the maximum level of this group of flaky United players.

If it happens to be conference league for next season then play the kids in it Cup winners cup i lked but couldn't care less for that recently introduced competition.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
I suspect we'll still make 4th. We're only 8 points off with 12 fixtures to go and ETH usually pulls a run of points out of his arse just when everyone thinks he's on the ropes. Also, I don't think Villa will be able to sustain at this level through 38.
Any chance you can let us know what you are smoking and where others can get same ?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
ETH is the worst manager post SAF, his purchase and the damage he caused to the team is a traversty.

Moyes for all his ineptness only lasted 8 months and spent like 30M for Fellaini.

Buying Antony for 80M alone is a sackable offence

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Any chance you can let us know what you are smoking and where others can get same ?
Its obvious we're not out of it. We've won 4 out of 5 games at a time when Spurs are falling. So the only remaining question is whether one thinks we can find 8 points on Villa in 12 fixtures.

massi83

Conference league is a lot more interesting than the premier league.