The manager has lost the players

Status
Not open for further replies.

copen1945

This footage epitomizes Solskjaer's era
I guess Maguire didn't expect Ole to stick around after the loss to Man City. We will find out how much authority Ole really has in the squad. If Maguire still has the armband, then the world wiill know that Ole is just a puppet for the Glazers.

Dominos

There's still more and more stories of dressing room unrest being released every week. I've never seen a manager at any club lose the players so publicly like this whilst still in a job, usually these sorts of detailed stories only hit the media after the manager is sacked.

And yet he still survives. This level of underperformance in a team and dressing room discontent is basically unheard of, I cannot fathom how our board thinks he can turn this situation around. They must realise they are delaying the inevitable and the situation won't improve until he's gone, I can't think what they seek to gain by having Ole lead us to an 8th placed finish and getting a new manager in the summer. At least give yourself a chance of salvaging the season by appointing an interim for the rest of the campaign.

Yakuza_devils

I think Ole still has most of the players backing him otherwise he is gone. No manager can survive that.

As I said previously, Ole will only be sacked if one or more of these happened:

1) Lost the players
2) Lost the home crowd
3) Lost the board
4) Fail to finish Top 4

As of now, Ole is safe because none of the above happened even though we are in one of our worst period in the history of the club.

stw2022

Like most humans, many players will be happy with their boss if they let them get away with a lot. Be amazed if Ole is bollcking players for poor performances. He literally sits in silence and watch players do the footballing equivalent of shit themselves on the pitch and they’ll stay on for 90 minutes and almost certainly get rewarded with a start the next game where they’ll be equally as bad.

Most of us would love to work for a boss like that; one who let us got away with shit.

Given that ‘he’s lifted the mood in the dressing room since Jose’ is the only reason he’s still here it’s understandable he’s not challenging the players and probably why many of them aren’t that unhappy despite everything

TeddyBear

'Ole's CL goal was overrated'
Seen some training pictures.
all smiles everywhere.
all is good it seems.

roll on to Saturday.......

Superden

the fact that our form has been pants and he's not lost the dressing room, shows what little competitive edge the playing / coaching staff have. something thats been an issue ever since Fergie left and it comes from the boardroom, with the lack of accountability and handsome rewards all round for relatively poor performances.

GazTheLegend

There's kind of a few things I've had mulling over in the tinpot of my brain for a while. Rashford, Bruno, and Ronaldo have all had a go at Maguire in the MIDDLE of games over the past few months, and frankly it's not been nice to see. I can't help feel like the attacking players in the side aren't happy with what's behind them. Maybe there is unrest with the manager - it's hard to pin that down. But there's finger pointing and histrionics on the pitch, too.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
A few of the papers are running with a story that Ole had a crisis meeting with senior players that included Ronaldo, Maguire and Fernandes.

romufc

I think Ole still has most of the players backing him otherwise he is gone. No manager can survive that.

1) Lost the players
2) Lost the home crowd
3) Lost the board
4) Fail to finish Top 4

As of now, Ole is safe because none of the above happened even though we are in one of our worst period in the history of the club.
I agree with this.

Losing players that are not playing is not that big of a deal. Its when he loses Ronaldo, Bruno and the like which could happen if results continue the way they are.

He won't lose the board as he will never speak out against them.

Home crowd, again, it will be a while before he loses them.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I expect Ole will be gone after the Liverpool match.

Unless he pulls a miracle there.
I just saw this old comment.
Well, we didn't pull out a miracle.
We were humiliated 5-0 (LFC took their foot off the gas) and Ole survived.
A week later, Ole would get humiliated by MCFC and lose to them, as well. Ole would survive that, too.

It begs belief.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Nothing Ole does makes sense.
Perhaps Ole was putting Dan James in the shop window and wanted to show how good a player he is, to help sell him?
Other than that, I can't think why Dan James was being used, even though he was transfer listed.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A few of the papers are running with a story that Ole had a crisis meeting with senior players that included Ronaldo, Maguire and Fernandes.
I'm genuinely baffled about the notion that calling in your senior players to discuss the situation and attempt to work out a solution is portrayed in a negative light.

Its not a crisis meeting, its a solution meeting, but that doesnt sound as dramatic.

poleglass red

1) Lost the players
2) Lost the home crowd
3) Lost the board
4) Fail to finish Top 4

I think the main reason Ole is safe, is because there is no genuine viable alternative right now. Conte was never in the mix, too confrontational for the board. Ajax manager ain't coming mid season, Rodgers and Poch the same. Even Zidane who is free, apparently won't come mid season, he would want a pre season under him. You're right he hasn't lost all the players yet, we've seen some of the amazing comebacks of late, players don't do that for a manager who has lost the dressing room. I think the main problem is lack of direction, style of play, tactics, which is emphasised so much more when we play top teams a la Liverpool and City. We have enough individual player ability where we can mix it with most teams, but once we play the best, the gulf in class is evident in terms of tactical nous.

croadyman

I'm genuinely baffled about the notion that calling in your senior players to discuss the situation and attempt to work out a solution is portrayed in a negative light.

Its not a crisis meeting, its a solution meeting, but that doesnt sound as dramatic.
Here comes Ole's biggest fan

Matriac

Here comes Ole's biggest fan
Did he say anything wrong?

In any other industry, if results have been going the wrong way, the project manager sits down with the senior leads to get their feedback on what they think is causing the problems and what the project manager can do to help them turn things around.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I think it is a bit baffling that a manager discusses the tactical plan of the team with his senior players not only three (?) years after his appointment but also halfway through the season.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I think it is a bit baffling that a manager discusses the tactical plan of the team with his senior players not only three (?) years after his appointment but also halfway through the season.
You think managers and staff dont talk to and involve the players during the season literally always?

Swedish_Plumber

You think managers and staff dont talk to and involve the players during the season literally always?
I think they possibly meant more a long the lines of players not knowing what they’re expected of them, despite Ole having been in the job for enough time to expect a basic level of tactical understanding.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I think they possibly meant more a long the lines of players not knowing what they’re expected of them, despite Ole having been in the job for enough time to expect a basic level of tactical understanding.
Thats another discussion. The point I tried to make is that the notion that staff and players discussing a problem and trying to solve it together is not a negative.

matt23

The most sensible solution would be to get a proper coaching team in. Must have been a pretty quick meeting.

Swedish_Plumber

Thats another discussion. The point I tried to make is that the notion that staff and players discussing a problem and trying to solve it together is not a negative.
I agree with you there. I totally get the frustration around the club though. Seems like most of us won’t be happy with anything Ole says or what’s reported about him now.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If things don't work as planned, you should talk about the issues and possible solutions. I really don't see anything wrong with that.

The point that the current crisis that has to be solved only exists because Ole is not up to the job is another issue.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

You’re something extra, I’ll give you that Tom Cato.

not crisis…..it’s a solution meeting”

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Sure, if thats how you feel
There’s no feeling about it. Ole is in the job by the skin of his fecking teeth. It’s completely appropriate to call that meeting a ‘crisis meeting’. I mean it’s ‘do or die’, ‘last chance saloon’, ‘now or never’ etc etc. Of course it’s a ‘crisis meeting’ if a meeting did in fact take place.

Roboc7

The most sensible solution would be to get a proper coaching team in. Must have been a pretty quick meeting.
When the manager isn’t competent better coaches aren’t the solution just as better players haven’t been.

SAFMUTD

A proper coaching team and a proper manager. I dont understand why people only want better coaches, as if that alone would cover all of Ole's deficiencies as a manager. We could have the best coaching team in the world and wouldn't solve Ole running the same XI to the ground, making late subs, and keep choosing underperforming players.

Denis79

Solution is simple - He leaves everything that has to do with what is going on the pitch to someone else more capable. Confidence is great if you're good at what you do but when you're not it can be very detrimental.

Sviken

I guess Maguire didn't expect Ole to stick around after the loss to Man City. We will find out how much authority Ole really has in the squad. If Maguire still has the armband, then the world wiill know that Ole is just a puppet for the Glazers.
Ole has zero authority nor the balls to stamp any sort of authority as a manager, which is one of the main problems of the team. He is not acting as an authority figure these players should listen to, but more like their friend. That's not how you run a club.

copen1945

Ole has zero authority nor the balls to stamp any sort of authority as a manager, which is one of the main problems of the team. He is not acting as an authority figure these players should listen to, but more like their friend. That's not how you run a club.
I had hoped the fairy tale about his man management was true. It is evaporating with each game, each press conference, each social media post, and each loss.

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

Platitudes and barren words

He really is one of the least charismatic and least interesting managers I've ever come across. I don't think he has an original thought in his head. I bet even Michael Owen listens to Solskjaer and thinks to himself "God he's dull"

Status
Not open for further replies.