Gaming The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal 5 Engine Experience

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Yep, downloaded it last night and played it this morning. Hopefully a tatse of things to come from this current gen when devs have stopped making cross gen games.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Had a go at it! Brilliant demo, hope to see that quality in the future.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Very cool. I wonder if we'll reach a point where games could consistently deliver a better cinematic experience than movies.
In some respects they will I reckon. Graphical realism will keep improving and couple that with the immersion of videogames and we're in for a treat in 10-15 years time. Imagine if we (I think we will) reach a point where film directors collaborate with game devs to create VR games with film quality narrative?

diarm

In some respects they will I reckon. Graphical realism will keep improving and couple that with the immersion of videogames and we're in for a treat in 10-15 years time. Imagine if we (I think we will) reach a point where film directors collaborate with game devs to create VR games with film quality narrative?
Horror movies/games are going to come with hospital warnings.

diarm

I already wimped out of Resi VR :nervous:
I'm not great with horror games as is.

When I was 10, my cousin and I spent a weekend out in a cabin in the woods behind our uncles house, with a rented PS1 and the Alien Trilogy games. I'm pretty sure if it had happened today, I'd have been sent for counselling when I came home.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Wow. When you have a proper play around in free range mode and adjust the settings (turn off matrix mode, tone down the traffic, set to night) this really feels like the first genuine next gen leap forward.

The detail is incredible. None of the NPC's I've come across have been duplicated and you can look in through the windows of every building and see actual rooms. It's jaw dropping as it is but stick some npc's in those rooms and change up the AI for the ones walking around the City and I don't know that more you can really do.

AaronRedDevil

Imagine playing Spider man in that. Proper height on those buildings. It would look Miles better.

Hoof the ball

Wow. When you have a proper play around in free range mode and adjust the settings (turn off matrix mode, tone down the traffic, set to night) this really feels like the first genuine next gen leap forward.

The detail is incredible. None of the NPC's I've come across have been duplicated and you can look in through the windows of every building and see actual rooms. It's jaw dropping as it is but stick some npc's in those rooms and change up the AI for the ones walking around the City and I don't know that more you can really do.
In that demo I believe there are 39,000 driveable vehicles. Also, no pre-animated crashed. No two car collisions are the same.

This engine will significantly reduce the amount of time taken to produce AAA games. No creating lighting or physics animation. You can just focus on quality a lot more.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Was messing about with it yesterday. Impressive stuff. I do have to say, when playing it yesterday I couldn't help but think how impressive Miles Morales really is. No doubt this Matrix demo is technically better but is it better to the point of it being something we haven't seen before. It's hard to compare stuff like this when you haven't got a side-by-side comparison while you're playing, but to me, Miles Morales has ray tracing, high-density crowd/traffic, and a true sense of scale.

Basically, while this demo is no doubt impressive, I don't think I was as blown away by it as some just because I find Miles Morales that impressive visually. I don't know. Perhaps if I had a direct side-by-side comparison of both of them while playing this would stand out a lot more.

Obviously, unfair comparison in a sense because Miles Morales is a full game while this is more of a look into the future of what games could look like fairly soon. But I couldn't get Miles Morales out of my head while playing this.

Camilo

Don't really get these on-rails theme park computer games - they go against everything computer games are for me - Freedom and sense of achievement.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just how a good physics engine works no, when they use non canned animations.
Crash animations take a serious physics engine if you are not pre-canning. They are just so chaotic, so many collisions to factor. Billions of calculations in a split second.

That’s why they’re usually pre-canned to an extent. If you can hand that over to the physics engine entirely, you not only get a more realistic experience but also cut out huge chunks of development time and budget which can be spent elsewhere (or not… looking at you EA)

Bosws87

Crash animations take a serious physics engine if you are not pre-canning. They are just so chaotic, so many collisions to factor. Billions of calculations in a split second.

That’s why they’re usually pre-canned to an extent. If you can hand that over to the physics engine entirely, you not only get a more realistic experience but also cut out huge chunks of development time and budget which can be spent elsewhere (or not… looking at you EA)
Was more impressed with the zero pop in, the digital foundry video is a great watch!

Ainu

I'd need to play around with it a little more, but it's undoubtedly a brilliant technical showcase. Just to experience it running at home on your console is great.

However, I'm not exactly enamoured with the framerate. Sure they're still optimising the engine, but I really, really wouldn't want AAA console games to go back to the 30 fps standard of last ten. Or even worse, the sub 30 fps standard of the PS360 era, which is basically what this tech demo is. Give me the 60 fps with RT of Insomniac games any day of the week over this.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Bummer this isn't on PC (which it totally should be). Haven't owned a console since the PS2 and would have expected this to be on PC as well.