The Modern Draft: R1 - Physiocrat vs Raees

At players career peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

......................................... Team Physiocrat ......................................................................... Team Raees ..................................

Team Physicrat

Tactics Overview

4-3-3 False 9

Defensive Line: High

Passing: Normal/ Direct

Pressing: High

You could consider the tactics in general like those of Bielsa. High pressing, high possession but always trying to play vertically rather than horizontally.

How I will score:

Fabregas will be the creative hub of the midfield spraying it short and long with Wilshere running box-to-box as well as providing a touch of class. Berba will play as a false 9 (he has an impeccable first touch, excellent ball control, has great vision and is positionally aware) making it difficult for Raees' defense and De Jong. If the latter sticks to him it will give loads of room for Fabregas to slide balls through to Robben and Nani as well as leaving me to dominate the midfield. If De Jong doesn't follow him he could end being left free. Berba was a great creator and solid goalscorer (1 in 2) in his prime who will relish the freedom to play in any way he sees fit with two quick goalscoring widemen in Robben (1 in 2) and Nani ( 8 and 9 goals a season at his best) allowing him lots of opportunities to slide them in or to use the space to bend it in; this will truly get the best out of Berba's unique style. Further his height also allows us to go long on occasions and mix it up.

Another clear route to goal is the left side with Alba overlapping Nani thereby pinning back Carvajal forcing him on the back foot. Either a cross from Alba or a distraction for Nani to whip it in the top corner. Chiellini is obviously far better than Carvajal defensively but Robben is simply a genius and the best wideman of his generation with lightning pace, scintillating dribbling and a fierce, accurate shot; he looked like he'd score every time he had the ball against United last season in the Champions league - he will constantly be a danger. Not only that but Fabregas ghosting forward is always capable of a long shot and scored 15 goals one season for Arsenal in a similar position.

How I'll stop Raees from Scoring:

Firstly a high press; if he doesn't have the ball he won't score. Robben, Fabregas, Alba and Boateng all have experience in high-pressing set-ups. Nani and Berba despite reputation are very hard workers and could adapt: pressing isn't just a matter of being a manic chicken but putting yourself in the right positions. I remember back in the Tevez vs Berba days that the latter had more interceptions and tackles than Tevez did on average. Obviously if we don't get it back quickly we'll drop a little deeper.

With the ball Raees will use Hummels and Gungadon's passing range to release Ronaldinho and allow him to work his magic. That is why Rafael will be playing more conservatively than he would otherwise. At his peak Ronaldinho is almost unstoppable however Rafael at his best is a quality hard tackling defender: a number of years ago he kept Ribery quiet all the time he was on the pitch. He will also have Gustavo constantly snapping at his heals. Further being far away from goal (due to my high line) will limit Higuain's effectiveness, he's solid striker but doesn't have the pace to exploit a high line (note all my back four are reasonable quick so the space in behind is unlikley to be exploited). He could switch the play to Park to exploit space in behind Alba which is a possibility but Vermaelen is a capable left-back so Park should cause him little problems if he's pulled wide. If Raees has a sustained period of possession and gets Isco involved I have the classy Jerome Boateng (Champions League and World Cup winner) marshaling my defensive unit: strong, quick and intelligent he's an all-round defender. Finally I have the Russian Akinfeev who's form was so great a few years ago he was heavily linked as a replacement for Edwin van der Sar.

A note on Nani:

It is true that his best performances for Utd came on the right however he has never played the role I want him to play today. Nani was a left winger in either a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3. In the latter it was in European away games where we had little possession with Rooney on his own and with Valencia right where his main task was working the wing and crossing. He is far better at crossing with his right which made him always cut inside to cross or to dally on the ball not knowing what to do; it was a similar problem in a 4-2-3-1. Here though he's playing as a wideforward who's main task is to dribble and score goals. As such he'll be much more central (Alba will constantly overlap)and not required to cross thereby liberating him from the problems he used to have on the left. He could shimmy left or right and still hit a rocket into the top corner.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Team Raees

THE TEAM (STYLE)

My team will line up in a lopsided 4-2-3-1/4-3-3. Bravo is my man between the sticks and is a perfect fit for my team of technicians, his ability on the ball will be key in my team’s ability to control the game when on the ball. The defence will feature Hummels and Marquinhos as the CB pairing. They will as a combination provide pace, aggression and great positioning… more brain than brawn – perfect for this game.

On the flanks I will have Carvajal featuring in defence and attack, exactly how he does at Madrid, overlapping the equally industrious Park ji Sung whose relationship with his full back and with the midfield will be key. He may at times interchange with the likes of Isco in order to press the opposition midfield. Chiellini operates as a solid left back to complement Carvajal, and provides Ronaldinho with the platform to run the game as only he knows how.

In the engine room, I have Nigel DeJong holding the fort and Gundogan helping him out when we don’t have the ball. Isco has been praised for his work-rate this season so off the ball my midfield is very solid off the ball and extremely blessed on it. Gundogan and Isco are two of the most blessed technicians in the modern game and would dovetail beautifully as one Is more Xavi and the other is more Iniesta in terms of approach.. Gundogan being the hub of the team and Isco operating as a free roaming playmaker who looks to run the game in the final third.

Up front I have a dynamo up front in the form of Gonzalo Higuain. He can create goals out of nothing and in a team laden with extra-terrestrial creativity, both off the flanks and through the centre… he is easily capable of scoring a hat trick against that defence.

THE TACTICS (MATCHUP)

Countering his Strengths

His strength is his wing-play and the pace he has in his side if Berbatov is dropped in favour of Sturridge. Regardless even if Berbatov starts, the threat from out wide nevertheless remains as he has two aggressive full backs who like to get forward. The main danger-man has to be Robben and how my team handles him is key to how many goals my team is likely to concede.

If he plays right, a combination of Chiellini/De Jong with their aggression and tactical nous shall keeps tabs on him, if he goes round the outside.. great he can’t hurt me, but if he goes inside, Chiellini has Marquinhos in support, he’s comfortable himself in central positions and De Jong knows his fellow Dutchman inside out and will hand out some physical punishment. If he plays left, Park and Carvajal have the pace, energy and big match mentality to keep tabs on Robben.

Exploiting his weaknesses

Whilst on paper a Fabregas and wilshere duo looks great in terms of possession and attacking flair, I’d argue the last thing you’d want in an encounter of this magnitude is two mentally fragile Arsenal players in midfield. De Jong would destroy Fabregas who does not have that extra level of dynamism and strength you need to keep a destroyer like De Jong at bay… Gundogan would prove that wilshere is out of his depth here as he is a player who has dominated the world’s best midfields consistently and not as Jack did in a one off performance v Barcelona. Whereas Jack would look to run with the ball and be aggressive, Gundogan would use his intelligence to pick and choose his moments to break alongside Isco and his superior ball retention would mean my team keep the ball more efficiently and find the likes of Ronaldinho on a consistent basis. Isco v Luis Gustavo is another mismatch in my favour.. Gustavo featured in that memorable 7-1 world cup loss against Germany where Kroos broke from midfield to score a brace. Isco is a superior player to Kroos and it will be extremely hard to keep tabs on the Spaniard who will switch places with Park, and also help the defence out with containing Ronaldinho.

Rafael v Ronaldinho is such a mismatch it is unbelievable. Yes Rafael in peak form did a decent job against Ribery before being sent off, but Ronaldinho is a player who destroyed one of europe’s best ever right backs in Michel Salgado.. Rafael will get absolutely smashed in this match up.

Vermalean v Higuain… another mismatch here, Higuain in his pomp could give any centre-back pairing trouble. Even in poor form he made Kompany look like an absolute mug in the world cup and in peak form supported by the creativity in my team, Vermalean is not going to keep this guy quiet and Jerome Boateng as good as he is, isn’t going to be enough support to hold the fort here and compensate for his colleagues weaknesses. Even Thiago Silva would struggle to keep it quiet in this game.[/QUOTE]

Annahnomoss

Clash of the titans. Berbatov in a playmaking role, with Nani and Robben on the outside is a perfect attack and there is just nothing to discuss there. With Wilshere and Fabregas pushing up the midfield there is creativity, goals and direct assists coming from there as well and I can't see them leaving the pitch without having scored.

Nani and Robben are both the ideal partners to Berbatov, they're perfectly at home in counter-attacks or direct attacks as well as two of the best players of the decade at beating their full backs from stand-still when the opponent defends organized. All they need is that perfectly weighted one-two or through-ball to create chances.

However the combination of Park and Ronaldinho for Raees looks almost like a dream. Not a lot players could handle his own defensive duties and then also compensate for an overly offensive winger on the other side to the level that Park did. There aren't many wingers who'd actually be better with Ronaldinho or Cristiano than Park was.

With that said I think Physio has the better players in every part of the team, nearly in every position pretty much except for Ronaldinho and Chiellini.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Echo Annah's comments above.

Though I'm a bit hesitant on Dinho vs Rafael, esp with Isco capable of overloading that flank.
And what's the arrows on Isco for? I recall him on the left, but right?

I get a feeling Physio has gone a slightly gung ho in middle. Better chance to score, but also vulnerable to counters.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Peak Ronaldinho's going to destroy Rafael, who'll probably last about 10 minutes before being sent off for 2 bookings
This. Both teams are well set-up, but that's an unfortunate mismatch for Physiocrat. Which isn't quite mirrored on the other side with his best player Robben up against Chiellini, with support from De Jong.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

With that said I think Physio has the better players in every part of the team, nearly in every position pretty much except for Ronaldinho and Chiellini.

in what world is that statement even justified?

Bravo > Akinfeev
Carvajal>Rafael
my centre back pairing is better in terms of talent (granted Boateng is class)
De Jong > Gustavo
Gundogan & Isco = Fabregas/Wilshere
Higuain > Berbatov

My team has proven quality throughout the side at the highest level bar Marquinhos, he has players who have struggled to make it at United and some Arsenal failures. As harsh as that sounds and no doubt his team is capable of playing some beautiful stuff, it is true.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
De Jong is going to have a particularly hard time this game. If he follows Fabregas, Berbatov is going to run riot sliding in Nani and Robben. I will score no question about it. Berba as a false-9 will cause him no end of problems.

Further Carvajal will have a torrid time with Nani and Alba. Park will help out but Carvajal's less than brilliant defending will be exposed especially when I have most of the ball.

Peak Ronaldinho's going to destroy Rafael, who'll probably last about 10 minutes before being sent off for 2 bookings
Rafael is less prone to bookings and red cards than he used to be. Also you are vastly underating his defensive ability especially when teaming up with Gustavo who is a muscular presence (it's true he was a member of the 7-1 defeated Brazil team but that ridiculous scoreline was mainly due to the lack of defensive organisation by T Silva who was suspended- it's massively unfair to infer it proves Gustavo is useless). Also if he pings it to Ronaldinho and he gets past Rafael there'll be no-one else to pass to. Once he's past him Boateng is an intelligent defender who can provide excellent defensive cover. Also Vermaelen at his peak was a seriously good defender (there were Vidic comparisons made at times).

Higuain is slow so with my high defensive line he's going to be somewhat nullified- if he had Eto'o I'd be worried.

It is true I'm open to counters but I'm confident I'll stop most at source. Both teams will score I think but I'll score more.

MDFC Manager

Nani and Robben running at Hummels and Marquinhos...That is enough for my vote here, in an otherwise close encounter. Ronaldinho vs Rafael is a huge mismatch as well, but I'm going with the two pronged attack instead.

Annahnomoss

in what world is that statement even justified?

Bravo > Akinfeev
Carvajal>Rafael
my centre back pairing is better in terms of talent (granted Boateng is class)
De Jong > Gustavo
Gundogan & Isco = Fabregas/Wilshere
Higuain > Berbatov

My team has proven quality throughout the side at the highest level bar Marquinhos, he has players who have struggled to make it at United and some Arsenal failures. As harsh as that sounds and no doubt his team is capable of playing some beautiful stuff, it is true.
Not a surprise that you rate them like that considering you picked them. I would personally disagree with every outfield player comparison there though.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
This. Both teams are well set-up, but that's an unfortunate mismatch for Physiocrat. Which isn't quite mirrored on the other side with his best player Robben up against Chiellini, with support from De Jong.
According to Raees though De Jong is on Fabregas. Remember also Gustavo is helping out Rafael.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not a surprise that you rate them like that considering you picked them. I would personally disagree with every outfield player comparison there though.
Fair enough mate.

Sorry @Physiocrat - I shall debate with you properly once I get back from work.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
individually both teams are roughly equal and both lineups look good. I voted for Raees, because I dont see how Physiocrat´s pressing game would work out with Berba, Nani and Cesc against players who are fairly comfortable on the ball.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I have to say that this looks like one hell of a mismatch.

It's not entirely right, necessarily, to match 'em up like that, though. But still. I know many on here love Rafael, but in this context the fact that he's a good lad an' all matters very little. Ronaldinho is a great, a truly great, player. Rafael is a good lad an' all. It looks like murder, in fairness.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Like the look of Team Physio but Raees is a bastard of a rival with all his strengths where Physio is weak and no weaknesses where Physio is strong.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Echo Annah's comments above.

Though I'm a bit hesitant on Dinho vs Rafael, esp with Isco capable of overloading that flank.
And what's the arrows on Isco for? I recall him on the left, but right?
Isco used to play on the right as well for Malaga? plus it reflects his in-game movement, he doesn't tend to stick to one flank.. he moves around a fair bit but favours the left flank, where he is positioned towards.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This game looks like one of those Joga Bonito games with Cantona as the referee. Physio's team is a team from street football, in a good way, literally every player is capable of some technical brilliance. On the other hand there are Ronaldinho and Isco :drool:

Rafael is great and not as rush as he gets painted here. But it's hard to imagine any modern fullback having a good game against Ronaldinho (and an occasional overlapping Isco).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
In the half time there should be the first touch challenge. Berbatov vs Dinho vs Isco :drool:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
individually both teams are roughly equal and both lineups look good. I voted for Raees, because I dont see how Physiocrat´s pressing game would work out with Berba, Nani and Cesc against players who are fairly comfortable on the ball.
Done properly it can work against most teams. The best way out of it is if you have a DM who is good on the ball but De Jong isn't that player.

Consequently I'll have a lot of the ball and Robben and/or Nani will score. Hummels especially doesn't like pace and tricky dribblers. It also means Ronaldinho won't have much of the ball. Even when he does Rafael is actually a good defender- he kept Ribery quiet and here he has Gustavo helping him out. The way it is portrayed it's as if I'm actually down to 10 men with no right back.

But as I keep pointing out who on earth is Dinho going to pass to when he has it? He can't do it all on his own.

RooneyLegend

Having a center back at facing Robben is a disaster waiting to happen, reckon that'll decide the game with him having great combination play with Berbatov who'll be dropping deep dragging the center halfs out of position. Park's presence in that 2nd team makes me think that that's where the weakness will be.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
On another note how is Raees going to stop me scoring? No-one is picking up Berba who will run riot slipping in Nani and Robben then the cavelry in Wilshere and Fabregas.

Chiellini will be forced onto his weaker foot constantly by Robben who will give him a torrid time. Also Nani will expose Marquinos for the inexperienced defender he is- come on David Luiz plays ahead of him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Equal match between the two. Both have individuals who can win you match by their own. I think Raees has better midfield and defence, and Physiocrat in attack.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Chiellini is the only stand out player who'd improve my defense but he's constantly going to be put onto his weaker foot.

De Jong and Gungodon = Wilshere and Gustavo.

Fabregas is clearly better than Isco and will provide more defensively than him. Further it's the perfect set-up for him as the most advanced of a midfield three.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Another thing- Chiellini will have no help against Robben unless of course De Jong becomes Djemba-Djemba-Djemba and simultaneously marks Fabregas, Berba and Robben

I do think I'll concede but I'll score more.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This one is very close. Surprised by the comments that Raees has worse players though, my gut reaction was far from that.

NoPace

I think this one is real close, but I'm voting for Raees because:
1.Vermaelen-Akinfeev as a weak area that Higuain is well suited to exploit. Pressing with Vermaelen risks him getting caught out of position, as he often did even at his peak.
2.Gundogan vs Wilshere, I see ending positively for the German.
3.I would trust a prime De Jong to do a decent job on Fabregas.

I'd pick a draw in a group stage match since I think Raees lacks a bit of goal threat, but over 120 minutes, I don't think the high press works for Physiocrat here.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Why won't the high press work? I have players suited to a intense game and De Jong isn't going to get them out of a tight spot like Busquets.

Akinfeev is a solid goal keeper but he's hardly a weakness. Bravo is decent to but hardly a level better than Akinfeev.

Vermaelen was bought to play a similar defensive line for Barca. He's by no means the greatest positioning wise but Higuain is going to be miles away from the goal to begin with and he's pretty slow. Also most of the pressing will be high up the pitch- I'm not instructing the defense to act like David Luiz.

Wilshere and Gungodan are pretty even tbh. Wilshere is though being underated he's been a mainstay of Arsenals midfield for five years of so providing proper box-to-box performances week in week out. For all Arsenals faults it certainly isn't down to him. In fact if they'd had Gustavo a couple of years ago they could have done a lot more.

@Raees Who is De Jong primarily on- Robben, Fabregas and Berba?

If it's Fabregas, Berba linking with Robben will see many goals.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Having a center back at facing Robben is a disaster waiting to happen, reckon that'll decide the game with him having great combination play with Berbatov who'll be dropping deep dragging the center halfs out of position. Park's presence in that 2nd team makes me think that that's where the weakness will be.
I don't think I agree with a single one of these statements, but particularly the last one. Christ, have we forgotten how good Park was for us? I think he actually tips the balance in Raees favour in the midfield battle. No Park and Physio had the better midfield, but Park looks absolutely spot on, I struggle to think of another player who would look so spot on in that setup/company.

Annahnomoss

Feel sorry for Physio here, opinions seemed very balanced for both sides in the thread but Raees walked this completely apparently. Thought Physio had the best team in the draft by quite a distance.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
That would have been the deciding factor for me had I remembered to vote. Also, I find it hard to assess Berbatov in this context. A sublime talent who I still love as a player, but he was so inconsistent for us. Looking at his record, his goalscoring peak certainly came when he was still playing in Germany. @Balu in your opinion was his time at Bayer Leverkusen the best period of his career?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
That would have been the deciding factor for me had I remembered to vote. Also, I find it hard to assess Berbatov in this context. A sublime talent who I still love as a player, but he was so inconsistent for us. Looking at his record, his goalscoring peak certainly came when he was still playing in Germany. @Balu in your opinion was his time at Bayer Leverkusen the best period of his career?
Probably, his last 3 seasons at Leverkusen were pretty impressive. But I didn't watch a lot of his games at Tottenham, so can't really say how he played after his move to England. Even then, I wouldn't have trusted him to score an important goal though.