The murder of Sarah Everard | Couzens sentenced to a whole-life order

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Marina Hyde’s column in The Guardian today addressing this issue. You start to wonder whether these people are mentally ill.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/12/what-happened-women-uk-harassed-street
You'd think the two guys who saw it might have reacted though. I mean I can understand being trepidatious about getting into an argument with some lunatic but if there's two of you and it's broad daylight then you could at least speak up and tell him to feck off.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Wow! I'm sure Jackson Katz, famous gender-politic grifting boomer, definitely undertook a thorough and detailed study among a broad range of the population and definitely didn't just make this up entirely to match his predetermined ideology.

The whole act of 'men feel completely safe walking the streets at night' is just silly. I'm 6ft4, well built and I take precautions when I'm walking alone. If I'm walking past a group of people on a quiet road, I worry....I'd cross the road to avoid it. I don't wear headphones at night if I'm alone. In really sketchy situations - like when I'm visiting the estate I grew up on to see my cousins, and I find myself out alone and walking past a group of people - I'll even go as far as dialling 999 on my phone and have my finger hovering over dial.

I'd hope I'm not uniquely cowardly or something and this also goes for the vast, vast majority of men. It's just situational awareness.

No doubt women are more vulnerable - although men are an overwhelming majority when looking at victims of stranger violence - but it's just odd to act like men are walking round like everyone they meet is Mary Poppins.
I get what you're saying. I feel unsafe late at night in certain places. I grew up in Luton and there are many crimes there at night. Been mugged/robbed many times.

I'm 3 inches short than you and a total lanky prick, I go out for walks at night and never really feel unsafe. On Sunday night there was a group of 4-5 people (some might refer to them as chavs...) and one walked over to ask me something and even then I didn't really feel too nervous.
I strongly suspect the majority of men are less cautious than you've described there. Though I'm not saying you're wrong to be so. It's just that in my experience men do tend to underestimate risk in these situations.
Feck sake, I am uniquely cowardly cautious. :lol: I genuinely never even considered that it wasn't normal for everyone to be on sort of high-alert when walking alone at night.

Like I said, I grew up on a very rough estate and was around a lot of random violence as a kid and a teen. Victim of it three times as a teenager - once seriously where I was stabbed in the leg, despite handing over my shitty K800i phone and whatever small amount of money I had on me.

Maybe I still carry that excess caution with me.

MoskvaRed

You'd think the two guys who saw it might have reacted though. I mean I can understand being trepidatious about getting into an argument with some lunatic but if there's two of you and it's broad daylight then you could at least speak up and tell him to feck off.
Yes, I fully agree, especially when there’s two of them. No amount of well-meant gestures will prevent what happened in Clapham but we men can at least try to fight back against this pathetic bullying.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Feck sake, I am uniquely cowardly. :lol: I genuinely never even considered that it wasn't normal for everyone to be on sort of high-alert when walking alone at night.

Like I said, I grew up on a very rough estate and was around a lot of random violence as a kid and a teen. Victim of it three times as a teenager - once seriously where I was stabbed in the leg, despite handing over my shitty K800i phone and whatever small amount of money I had on me.

Not unique at all, especially not in London. I don’t know a single guy who isn’t wary about walking around at night. People are getting mugged and stabbed like every night here. Someone tried to rob my flat mate just a couple weeks ago. He’s also been sexually assaulted and drugged before. Our friend was sucker punched and sent to hospital. I carry my keys between my knuckles basically always, at the least. Anyone saying walking around London at night is like sunshine and rainbows for men is talking shit.

Even in Canada my brother has been stabbed. Other brother has had a knife pulled on him. They’ve been attacked by groups of people. My friend was robbed and shot while walking home. I grew up always carrying a knife or extendo baton.

No doubt it’s even worse for women but walking the streets at night in London has its dangers for anyone.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think it’s a really poor way to start the conversation though, personally
I'm no expert on the topic but I'd imagine there have been plenty of other attempts in different ways.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Feck sake, I am uniquely cowardly cautious. :lol: I genuinely never even considered that it wasn't normal for everyone to be on sort of high-alert when walking alone at night.

Yep, the bold is the difference. I currently live in Dublin which while having its fair share of scumbags still isn't London. And because I grew up in a more rural area the most traumatic thing that happened to me as a kid was a cow startling me in a field. I can absolutely assure you that if that cow had stabbed me I would have a very different outlook.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm no expert on the topic but I'd imagine there have been plenty of other attempts in different ways.
Can you imagine something similar for any other demographic? It would certainly piss off a large section of the very individuals you’re trying to appeal to, which is totally unhelpful.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
All of this is an extension of the conversation around ideas like "toxic masculinity" or whatever. In those instances the complaints often get dismissed as people exaggerating or making a big deal over relatively harmless things. Then when the conversation moves along to more serious incidents like this a lot of guys feel like it doesn't apply to them because they obviously don't go that far. But the way to stop the conversation getting so polarised at that point is to engage with it fairly on the thin end of the wedge.

The underlying point of all of this is that men tend to inflict an awful lot of violence and harm on women, other men and themselves. And while some people balk at the idea of men being singled out in this regard, the stats in terms of who perpetrators of violent crimes are speak for themselves. Even in terms of something like suicides, more young men die from that than women not because they attempt it less but because they opt for more violent methods. It's actually insane that they're conditioned to be more violent even to themselves.

The only real way I can see to address this is to try and change men's outlook on how they fit into the world and what behaviour is appropriate. Obviously telling men "don't murder people" is redundant but creating a culture where they're able to deal with emotional issues in a healthier way and place expectations of better behaviour on each other would surely help in the long run.

Agent Red

All of this is an extension of the conversation around ideas like "toxic masculinity" or whatever. In those instances the complaints often get dismissed as people exaggerating or making a big deal over relatively harmless things. Then when the conversation moves along to more serious incidents like this a lot of guys feel like it doesn't apply to them because they obviously don't go that far. But the way to stop the conversation getting so polarised at that point is to engage with it fairly on the thin end of the wedge.

The underlying point of all of this is that men tend to inflict an awful lot of violence and harm on women, other men and themselves. And while some people balk at the idea of men being singled out in this regard, the stats in terms of who perpetrators of violent crimes are speak for themselves.

The only real way I can see to address this is to try and change men's outlook on how they fit into the world and what behaviour is appropriate. Obviously telling men "don't murder people" is redundant but creating a culture where they're able to deal with emotional issues in a healthier way and place expectations of better behaviour on each other would surely help in the long run.
I think this is a really good post.

I think this situation has a lot of parallels with the George Floyd murder and the discussions about race that came out of that. There was an initial incident at the 'extreme' end of things, which triggered a lot of hurt, anger and frustration because to a large section of society it's emblematic of how their lives are generally worse or seen to matter less and that the burden of finding the solution to that falls on their shoulders rather than being owned, or at least shared with, the group who is almost exclusively responsible for being the perpetrators.

I understand why it triggers defensiveness in people because it's natural that when people are saying 'white people are like this' or 'men are like this' you might think 'but I'm not!' and resent feeling like you're being falsely accused of something sinister, but ultimately it's not about anyone at an individual level and just about trying to get the other section of society to understand problems from a different perspective and feel like they have a major role to play in finding the solution.

sebsheep

Can you imagine something similar for any other demographic? It would certainly piss off a large section of the very individuals you’re trying to appeal to, which is totally unhelpful.
There's always some people who have an issue with something because they don't get the context, I've seen the same things with BLM and defund the police.

sebsheep

The underlying point of all of this is that men tend to inflict an awful lot of violence and harm on women, other men and themselves. And while some people balk at the idea of men being singled out in this regard, the stats in terms of who perpetrators of violent crimes are speak for themselves. Even in terms of something like suicides, more young men die from that than women not because they attempt it less but because they opt for more violent methods. It's actually insane that they're conditioned to be more violent even to themselves.

That's a good post.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There's always some people who have an issue with something because they don't get the context, I've seen the same things with BLM and defund the police.
Neither of those targeted innocent people, which suggesting a 6pm curfew for men, even if it’s an exaggerated point for effect, does.

It’s just a shit way to go about things and realistically achieves the opposite of what should be the intention.

sebsheep

Neither of those targeted innocent people, which suggesting a 6pm curfew for men, even if it’s an exaggerated point for effect, does.

It’s just a shit way to go about things and realistically achieves the opposite of what should be the intention.
They were just examples of people taking issue with something because they didn't quite understand things. There will be plenty of people who consider questioning the entire police force targeting innocent people.

Whether or not some people consider it a poor way of getting it out there doesn't it mean it's not an effective way of starting the conversation. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Agent Red

When I first saw it suggested it was directly after women had been advised not to go out after dark in that area, it was a for effect point to highlight how the burden is often on potential victims to change their behaviour rather than the group doing the perpetrating. I haven't seen anyone putting it forward as a serious policy proposal and if they are I think it's obvious it's an extreme suggestion that wouldn't have any significant backing in reality.

I understand why it makes people feel accused and triggers that response, but I don't think that's how it was intended nor really the main takeaway from it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
When I first saw it suggested it was directly after women had been advised not to go out after dark in that area, it was a for effect point to highlight how the burden is often on potential victims to change their behaviour rather than the group doing the perpetrating. I haven't seen anyone putting it forward as a serious policy proposal and if they are I think it's obvious it's an extreme suggestion that wouldn't have any significant backing in reality.

I understand why it makes people feel accused and triggers that response, but I don't think that's how it was intended nor really the main takeaway from it.
Yeah for sure. The bold bit is the big problem with it though. If it has that kind of response it can’t be the right way to go if you want something to change. Creating tension with those who haven’t done anything wrong, even if they’ve got the wrong end of the stick, seems like a crappy angle.

Agent Red

Yeah for sure. The bold bit is the big problem with it though. If it has that kind of response it’s a crappy angle to go with if you want something to change.
In the rare cases where people are suggesting it as a serious option (of which I haven't actually seen any but can believe there might be some on Twitter or whatever) then I get that and think it's unhelpful. As a way of turning the original suggestion on its head, I think it's a reasonable to way to get all of us to stop and realise how ingrained it is in us to think of things a certain way.

I had similar reactions myself at points last summer when sometimes people would refer to all 'white people' in a negative way, but I had to realise it wasn't personal to me and also if I challenged myself I wasn't really doing everything I could to make non-white people's lives better, so in some ways it did apply me and I needed to not see race issues as other people's problem.

I don't want to drag this off topic because it's not what the thread is about, but I think the parallels are quite strong.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Is he rhino charging brick walls or something? Hope the cnut doesn’t manage to get away with things that easy.

Agent Red

Is he rhino charging brick walls or something? Hope the cnut doesn’t manage to get away with things that easy.
I’d guess so, presumably he’s under surveillance but not sure how you can stop him doing it at least once unless they can put padding on the walls somehow.

Agent Red

Suicide watch.
yes that’s what I meant about surveillance, but usually suicide watch still just involves someone sitting and watching him so if he’s intent on whacking his head against the wall or whatever he could probably get one attempt in before they get to him to restrain him.

dal

sorry to barge in but what a load of bollox!!!

Utter tripe and I feel sorry for you if you have this belief
Well not so long ago an equiry into the MET police found that they were institutionally racist, not one person but buy in large the whole institution.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
yes that’s what I meant about surveillance, but usually suicide watch still just involves someone sitting and watching him so if he’s intent on whacking his head against the wall or whatever he could probably get one attempt in before they get to him to restrain him.
Strap him to a table? I dunno, there must be a way of doing something to make sure he doesn’t get to take the easy way out.

TheReligion

Abusive
Strap him to a table? I dunno, there must be a way of doing something to make sure he doesn’t get to take the easy way out.
They do something similar in the US in a chair I believe. Sadly can't over here. They'll likely be two officers sat with him throughout now.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Hit himself of the side of the thing you lie on? It's not a bed but like a giant rectangle thing. Trying to hit himself of the angle of that. That would certainly do it.

PoTMS

The cnut has unsuccessfully tried to commit suicide again? Well at least he's suffering great pain in trying to do so but we must not let the scum get an easy way out.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Can anyone confirm whether its legal to put him in a straight jacket and a padded room for his own safety? Don't want the cnut getting off that easy.

dal

He’s running into walls, realisation must have set in, bastard.

I hope this doesn’t sound too crude but I mean raping someone is horrendous but why the hell would you then Go and kill them aswell. Is this some sexually sordid ritual.

This really needs to be weeded out of society somehow, it can be a touchy and political subject at times. I mean I’m Indian and I have a variety of different mates from all backgrounds, Asian, white, Europeans, African.

It’s good these naming and shaming of grooming gangs are being brought to the fore, to think they were concerned of targeting racial types. This obviously has a certain part of the UK population having a bias in thinking towards Pakistani men (I’ve heard this many times), obviously this isn’t true and is ignorant but justice needs to be done regardless of race, creed and politics.

Im not targeting anyone obviously but I just think bold conversations are needed.

The women getting harassed, it is embarrassing. I mean a man should feel free to talk to a woman but then no when to walk away too and not crossing a line or being creepy, crossing the physical barrier now that’s just plain wrong on all levels.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
If he’s been remanded (he surely will be, he’s probably in police cells at the moment) they will have him on an open ACCT and be doing checks as often as (I think) every 15 mins sometimes, depending on need. He will end up being a bed watch before long