The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Reckon Kenny will be gone if we lose both games? Graham Potter to replace him.

Last edited:

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
How have we had such a strong transfer window for internationals getting good moves and still ended up with only four premier League players in our starting XI.

lsd

The Oracle
Reckon Kenny will be gone if we lose both games? Graham Potter to replace him.
If? What expatations do you have for these players? No way we are not losing both

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Shaping up to be another one of those "fought hard" moral victory performances.

(Watch us get hockeyed now after I said that).

Shark

@NotShark
Between United and Ireland feels like the football luck is rotten. Evan Ferguson just had to be out, can't even have that..

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It doesn't matter if it was after the foul that dirty cnut Hernandez should be sent off for that. Clearly deliberate.

Brophs

The One and Only
France are a fantastic side. I’d almost be disregarding those games when assessing Kenny’s reign.

The problem is, the games against much weaker sides don’t make a very compelling case for him, either. I dunno. In the few months since we last played I think I’ve reconciled myself with the idea that he probably has to and will go after the campaign. He’s been given plenty of time. He’s done really well to turn over the squad and refresh the players available to him but he hasn’t been able to meld those players into a coherent, positive side and it’d be pretty optimistic to think he will at this stage.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
France are a fantastic side. I’d almost be disregarding those games when assessing Kenny’s reign.

The problem is, the games against much weaker sides don’t make a very compelling case for him, either. I dunno. In the few months since we last played I think I’ve reconciled myself with the idea that he probably has to and will go after the campaign. He’s been given plenty of time. He’s done really well to turn over the squad and refresh the players available to him but he hasn’t been able to meld those players into a coherent, positive side and it’d be pretty optimistic to think he will at this stage.
As much as I really appreciate our refreshingly positive approach to the national side, I do also believe that this may be a step too far for him. I quite like him but I think there's a slight naivety to him as well. That said, I would like to think that another manager could come in and build upon what has already been laid down and make us a more coherent and lethal side but my fear is that once he is gone, we may end up back at square one with us hiring an effective but desperately dull manager who does the same shit we've been moaning about for the last twenty years and I'll be back to despising everything possible about Irish football. It's a terribly negative way to see things but it's the FAI and it's pretty much written in their DNA. We won't get anyone who fills us with joy.

Pirlo'sBeard

That'll be Kenny gone then.

There's been some positives but he's simply not got the results. We were always on the back foot after the Greece loss.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Another "tried hard/didn't disgrace ourself" performance.

Was looking through the groups. Some teams who have more points than us;

Georgia
North Macedonia
Armenia
Moldova
Kazakhstan
Kosovo
Luxembourg

A lot of nations who were whipping boys that have gradually improved themselves to varying degrees through the years. Meanwhile, we're cementing ourselves in tier D just above San Marino, Andorra and Gibraltar in tier F.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
That's it for Kenny, surely? It's a dead end continuing with him.

GL21

Another "tried hard/didn't disgrace ourself" performance.

Was looking through the groups. Some teams who have more points than us;

Georgia
North Macedonia
Armenia
Moldova
Kazakhstan
Kosovo
Luxembourg

A lot of nations who were whipping boys that have gradually improved themselves to varying degrees through the years. Meanwhile, we're cementing ourselves in tier D just above San Marino, Andorra and Gibraltar in tier F.
wow...when you see it like that the writing is on the world. I know we are limited with the squad right now but is there anyone would want the job that would make a difference. I just don't see the likes of Potter interested

NLunited

I thought they played well, a game against the Netherlands is hardly a must win game.

Very good first half and decent fight back after we took control in first half. Don‘t be too harsh on Kenny.

Arnold Layne

Pretty obvious he has to go. Even if there are three games left. The project hasn't worked. League of Ireland level manager, and feck Wout couldn't hit a barn door for us.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Pretty obvious he has to go. Even if there are three games left. The project hasn't worked. League of Ireland level manager, and feck Wout couldn't hit a barn door for us.
Thats twice we have tried it in modern times. Brian Kerr and Kenny. Both were out of their depth.

GL21

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits he has been approached by an international team

Arnold Layne

The post match interview was hard to watch. I thought he was going to break down at one stage.

Arnold Layne

Thats twice we have tried it in modern times. Brian Kerr and Kenny. Both were out of their depth.
Kerr's finest moment according to himself was bringing Keane back. He was co commentator for the England game last night and was calling Mudryk Modric.

Brophs

The One and Only
Whether he should get a new contract, it seems fairly certain now that he won’t get one. Even reversing into third place in the group wouldn’t mean much now.

Hard to know where we go from here. The players clearly aren’t difference makers, even at this low level, but nor, it seems, is Kenny. He isn’t getting a great deal from the players and there are very few signs that things are going to improve. The seedings will continue to kill us as long as we’re not winning games. It always comes back to the idea that if we move away from Kenny we’ll end up with Sam Allardyce or the like. Would I trust the FAI to get the appointment right? No. In part because they clearly haven’t gotten this one right, either.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
A worthy experiment but ultimately a failed one. I originally was happy enough for Kenny to see out the campaign and hope a potential successor emerges. But now I think there is no point, he cannot be the manager when we start world cup qualifying so we are just extending the inevitable. I would let O'Shea see out these remaining games and start an interview process.

Oranges038

Irish people are never happy, under Trap "the football is shite, I'd rather see us try and play and lose, than win playing that shite, he needs to go"

O'Neill and Keane "the football is shite, I'd rather see us try and play and lose, than win playing that shite, they need to go".

Under Kenny "no point playing nice football if you can't get results, he needs to go"

It's become clear that the job is too big for Stephen Kenny, he's got the team playing good football but the final piece of just being to get results hasn't happened. He's instigated a change in style that needs to continue.

The last thing that should happen now is that he gets sacked and the focus returns to short term wins and just focusing on getting results and qualification. Otherwise we'll be back to watching hoofball like we've seen for the last 30 years or more.

But it's the FAI. So, yeah, they'll get this one right.

Brophs

The One and Only
We need to bring in best in class at every level. The Spanish fella has just left the FA. He seems a safe pair of hands.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I'm sure I've said this before on here but I never looked at Kenny at Derry and Dundalk as some kind of innovator of free-flowing football specifically and I've never understood how moving Ireland away from playing hoofball and giving Kenny indefinite opportunities were so closely entwined.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm sure I've said this before on here but I never looked at Kenny at Derry and Dundalk as some kind of innovator of free-flowing football specifically and I've never understood how moving Ireland away from playing hoofball and giving Kenny indefinite opportunities were so closely entwined.
Pidge knows.

Bwuk

Kenny was a wanker when he was at Dunfermline.

I watched the game, was surprised at how poor the squad is. Obviously Ferguson missing but seems you’ve not got a lot to choose from?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I had a nightmare recently that they appointed Bradley as Kenny's successor so it could definitely get worse.