The next Liverpool manager | Arne Slot Liverpool's Báld Fraud

Nickosaur

Would love a Hodgson banter era.

They're too good to let that happen again sadly. I'd put money on it being Alonso, but would expect de Zerbi or Nagelsmann to do an excellent job there too.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Whatever they do it will of course be a step down. Klopp and Pep are one and two, of the best in the world.

cyberman

And breaking records with Leverkusen.

You'd have been keeping Rooney in the reserves till he turned 20. Probably also would have voted for Nixon over Kennedy if you could have.
You’d have had 2/3 flavour of the month managers every season for the last 20 years using this logic
If Klopp has to leave because of the energy and effort it takes to manage Liverpool then feck knows what Alonso would face by first stepping up to Liverpool and following that
I’m sure I can get you Moyes number if you’d like

cyberman

Care to give a realistic example of that for Liverpool?
Zidane? Ancelotti if Klopp goes there? It’s not just Xavi and that’s it.
Emery? Conte? Spalleti? Simeone?
Id like to see Jose there but I’ve only got one wish from this magic lamp left

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Zidane? Ancelotti if Klopp goes there? It’s not just Xavi and that’s it.
Emery? Conte? Spalleti? Simeone?
Id like to see Jose there but I’ve only got one wish from this magic lamp left
The first three are all completely unrealistic, and Emery/Conte/Spalleti are as uninspiring as anyone. I'd much, much rather take a leap of faith for Alonso and 99% of Liverpool fans with me, I'll assume.

But let's wait and see. I'll happily tag you and admit I was completely wrong if we hire Zidane, Ancelotti or Xavi :lol:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
You’d have had 2/3 flavour of the month managers every season for the last 20 years using this logic
If Klopp has to leave because of the energy and effort it takes to manage Liverpool then feck knows what Alonso would face by first stepping up to Liverpool and following that
I’m sure I can get you Moyes number if you’d like
Nah. The only ones in the past 20 years who have done what alonso has done with little prior experience went on to great things. Zidane, Guardiola. Can't think of any other newbies with similar results when just starting out.

InfiniteBoredom

Nah. The only ones in the past 20 years who have done what alonso has done with little prior experience went on to great things. Zidane, Guardiola. Can't think of any other newbies with similar results when just starting out.
AvB literally won a treble and then went belly up in the span of a year.

Too much too soon can break a promising coach.

ExecutionerWasp001

Klopp is nowhere close to Ferguson in terms of impact, success and importance to the club - it'll be nothing like what we went through.
There are definite parallels with both managers & clubs.

He's the only manager to win them a title in the last 30 years. He's the only manager in the last 7 years to give cheat code City a serious challenge.

There are only 4 managers who have won the PL on merit rather than financial doping. One of those, in SAF, was in the PL for 20 years.

If Klopp hadn't been around City would be going for 7 in a row.

No other teams in the league can match City's spending power. The only chance to win is having a manager like SAF or Klopp. Managers who don't have to play with a stacked deck to win.

These managers are incredibly difficult to find. We have been searching for 10 years & haven't come close.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Fair enough, forgot about him. He went to spurs chelsea though.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

AVB never consistently showed that he could manage a top side in a top 5 league, let alone win big prizes with them - not at Chelsea, not at Spurs.

And he didn't have prior experience with immense pressure since he was never a pro footballer, something Alonso undoubtedly does have. Can't be compared.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

He won a fake treble with the best team in an easy league and then get exposed when he went somewhere even a modicum more challenging.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
And Alonso has had half a season of good performance in the BL.
More like a full season, he has taken them over during last season close to the relegation battle and lead them up to the EL qualification.

Abizzz

I think people tend to rate midfielders that point and shout a lot. He was one of the best in that trade (not trying to belittle his other abilities).

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
And? You just dish out an example of a young, promising manager that didn't perform at a big club at a relatively young age. I can just provide you with Zidane as a counter-argument. Probably countless other examples in both directions.

None of them are related to whether Alonso might or might not succeed at Liverpool if he comes over in the summer.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
And? You just dish out an example of a young, promising manager that didn't perform at a big club at a relatively young age. I can just provide you with Zidane as a counter-argument. Probably countless other examples in both directions.

None of them are related to whether Alonso might or might not succeed at Liverpool if he comes over in the summer.
Zidane inherited by far the best squad in the world which is something seem to be conveniently leaving out.

InfiniteBoredom

Look at the post I replied to.

He made the point that coaches that started out on fire in their very first top job tend to end up great, I provided a counter example.

I made no evaluation on Alonso as a manager, but it’s very risky regardless for both sides if he ends up with you next season.

AltiUn

Surely gonna be Alonso, annoyingly looks like he's gonna be a great manager, with that said he'll still likely be a step down from Klopp which is still a net positive from our perspective. It's very, very unlikely he'll be as good a manager as Klopp who's pretty much an all-time great.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Zidane inherited by far the best squad in the world which is something seem to be conveniently leaving out.
Which is another point in favor of the Alonso argument really, because he manages to get the most out of a squad of (very) good, not great players. I know it's a small sample size but big enough for me to take a leap of faith, especially given his connection to the club.

While we have a talented squad and a few world-class players, we are not competing with City if we just get a manager who performs up to standard with our team, we need someone like Klopp who make it more than the sum of its individual parts.

AltiUn

Which is another point in favor of the Alonso argument really, because he manages to get the most out of a squad of (very) good, not great players. I know it's a small sample size but big enough for me to take a leap of faith, especially given his connection to the club.

While we have a talented squad and a few world-class players, we are not competing with City if we just get a manager who performs up to standard with our team, we need someone like Klopp who make it more than the sum of its individual parts.
Yeah, you'd be stupid not to in my opinion, as much as I hope it doesn't work out. As I said in my other post, even if he's very good, which he is shaping up to be, he's still very unlikely to be as good as Klopp which is still good from a United fan's perspective.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Exciting, weird, mad that we could both be looking at getting a nee manager in the summer. Could be make it break for either club deciding on their choice

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, you'd be stupid not to in my opinion, as much as I hope it doesn't work out. As I said in my other post, even if he's very good, which he is shaping up to be, he's still very unlikely to be as good as Klopp which is still good from a United fan's perspective.
Yeah agree, anyone bar Pep would be a step down, same for when Salah eventually goes. Getting the decision on our next manager right is the biggest priority right now though, as it will make or break our next 5 years. We need to at least try and build on what Klopp did, and if we get someone who's not capable of that, we will become an unattractive destination for players again, the manager doesn't get the best out of our current players, and it's an annual fight for top 4 at best.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its the personality that's going to be irreplaceable. He's a larger than life character.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
@Zehner, whats the talk your end just now regarding Alonso?

Never mind the potential for disruption this has on Liverpool, unless the Alonso link gets squashed pretty quickly, this could seriously disrupt Leverkusen when they are riding so high?!

Would just be Bayern's luck that!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Alonso makes sense but it's never easy following someone like Klopp.
Despite the hype he’ll have to prove himself again no matter what happens this season and will anyway be a big downgrade for Klopp

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Is anyone else afraid that they try to lure ten Hag?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There are definite parallels with both managers & clubs.

He's the only manager to win them a title in the last 30 years. He's the only manager in the last 7 years to give cheat code City a serious challenge.

There are only 4 managers who have won the PL on merit rather than financial doping. One of those, in SAF, was in the PL for 20 years.

If Klopp hadn't been around City would be going for 7 in a row.

No other teams in the league can match City's spending power. The only chance to win is having a manager like SAF or Klopp. Managers who don't have to play with a stacked deck to win.

These managers are incredibly difficult to find. We have been searching for 10 years & haven't come close.
It’s nothing like Fergie though. Fergie consistently brought through academy players, and he rebuilt and rebuilt. Klopp basically made one team then dipped when they all got off.

I don’t blame him. It must be pretty relentless, but he’s no SAF.