The nicest prison in the world

Dyslexic Untied

We've had some discussions on here about what should be the quality and standard of prisons. Take a look at this and share your thoughts.

Too much?

Halden Prison: Inside Norway's posh new jail | Mail Online

World's poshest prison? Cells with en-suite bathrooms and no window bars (plus £1m Banksy-style art)
By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 11:43 AM on 12th May 2010
Comments (123) Add to My Stories It's the ultimate prison break for murderers and rapists - en-suite bathrooms, £1million Banksy-style art and even windows without bars.
That's the 'hard-time' waiting for some of Norway's most dangerous criminals in the new purpose built £15 million Halden Prison.
The jail took 10 years to build and has been touted to be the most humane in the world for its 252 inmates.
Home away from home: One of the private cells at Norway's new Halden Prison - which appears to be nicer than most university dormitory rooms

It's the end of 'dropping the soap' jokes with these posh en-suite bathrooms for inmates at the new £15million prison
Prison authorities claim the luxury environment of the 75-acre site helps reduce the country's already very low crime rate.
Each inmate gets a private cell with mini-fridge, flat-screen TV and even a private en-suite bathroom and barless windows - because they let in more sunlight.
Then for every 12 to 15 rooms there is a top-notch kitchen with stainless steel work tops and lounge areas complete with IKEA-style sofas and coffee tables.
To cap-off their stay at Halden, the pampered prisoners can even enjoy a gym - complete with rock-climbing wall - a music studio and luxury library.
Keeping prisoners healthy: The rock-climbing wall and basketball nets in the new gym at the prison

Banksy-style: A £1million mural in the prison courtyard by Norwegian street artist Dolk
Architect Hans Henrik Hoilund admitted Halden holds some of Norway's most dangerous prisoners but - believes its design means they don't re-offend.
He said: 'The most important thing is that the prison looks as much like the outside world as possible.
'To avoid an institutional feel, exteriors are not concrete but made of bricks, galvanized steel and larch; the buildings seem to have grown organically from the woodlands.

'And while there is one obvious symbol of incarceration - a 20-foot concrete security wall along the prison's perimeter - trees obscure it.
'And it's top has been rounded off, so it isn't too hostile.'
A jail cell corridor in the new prison - where half the guards are female as it is believed this decreases aggression

The landscaped prison grounds surrounding the institution
The Norwegian Banksy-style artist Dolk was also hired to paint a £1million mural on the prison wall showing a prisoner in striped uniform using a ball and chain as a shot put.
Halden opened it's doors officially last month, taking in the first batch of inmates. Prison governor Are Hoidal said there have been no escape attempts.
He said: 'In the Norwegian prison system, there's a focus on human rights and respect.

'We don't see any of this as unusual.
'When they arrive many of them are in bad shape and we want to build them up, give them confidence through education and work and have them leave as better people.'
Halden also features jogging trails in nearby woods and a freestanding two-bedroom house where inmates can host their families during overnight visits.

In Norway only 20 per cent of prisoners end up back in jail after release, compared to between 50 and 60 per cent in the UK

Read more: Halden Prison: Inside Norway's posh new jail | Mail Online

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
What do you mean? That the re-offending crimes aren't solved?
Well the figure mentions that 20% of Norwegian prisoners head back to jail after release, whereas 60% of British prisoners go back to jail after release.

This doesn't tell us how many prisoners re-offend, just how many are sent back to jail.

It could mean that the re-offending rate is lower in Norway than the UK. It could also mean that the re-offending rates are similar and that Norwegian criminals commit more non-custodial crimes than UK criminals.

Or, and this is what could be interesting if true, the re-offending rates could be similar but Norway sends fewer people to jail than the UK.

Dyslexic Untied

Well the figure mentions that 20% of Norwegian prisoners head back to jail after release, whereas 60% of British prisoners go back to jail after release.

This doesn't tell us how many prisoners re-offend, just how many are sent back to jail.

It could mean that the re-offending rate is lower in Norway than the UK. It could also mean that the re-offending rates are similar and that Norwegian criminals commit more non-custodial crimes than UK criminals.

Or, and this is what could be interesting if true, the re-offending rates could be similar but Norway sends fewer people to jail than the UK.

Would not surprise me to be honest. The current government have been very keen on getting rid of the queues of prisoners waiting to do time by handing out other types of sentences.

Dyslexic Untied

Wait....what? This cost £1 million?

No, that is a mistake in the article.

They spent 6,3 million NOK on art and decorations, which is about 600 000 pounds. That includes all the art and decorations.

Dolk, guy who made that mural has made several more and other artists have been hired as well.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I think that shot-put one is really good. Not a million quid good, but excellent.

The thing about the Scandos is they got all their testosterone and macho crap out their system in their Viking adolescence. That's why they have a better society than us.

Though Richter may have lost too much testosterone...

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
No, that is a mistake in the article.

They spent 6,3 million NOK on art and decorations, which is about 600 000 pounds. That includes all the art and decorations.

Dolk, guy who made that mural has made several more and other artists have been hired as well.
Is it not a Banksy mural?

The article I read said it cost a million too.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Much better than the average university accommodation in Portugal.

topper

Clown
It's not punishment, it's rehabilitation.

And if it works...
I'm with you mate this sort of punishment and hopefully rehabilitation looks great and if it works why not put it into practice

This is what the new CLD coalition Government should be aiming for our prison population and showing the Public it cares about the Publics concerns about crime and punishment/rehab and is addressing those concerns in a postive way

Moriarty

It's nicer that the accomodation I had at uni and that cost me three quid a week in 1973. It looks cleaner than some hotels I've stayed in too.

Eriku

Hrm... to be a criminal or a student?

Though, to be fair, that's not representative of most prisons in Norway... though I'd still assume they have it nicer than me.

apple-shampoo

I don't really care how nice prisons are, I still don't want to be in one whether it is nicer than my house or not.

I'd still be missing one essential thing, the ability to go outside at my own free will.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
That doesn't show how cocking cold it is though.

Supports
Barcelona
And no capital punishment. brilliant. The next time I am full of hate and frustration of someone, I'll kill him, destroy his life and his family life for good and enjoy my rehabilitation

People seem to forget that "punishments" should "punish" and "deter".. not just "rehabilitate". The 3 must be achieved if possible, if not then priority goes for the first two. Can't believe some people think about a criminal in a "how are we gonna rehabilitate him?" and that's it!!!!!????

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Impersonating Morten Harkett and putting on a gay voice.

hungrywing

Crap. I read the title as 'nicest person in the world'.

Probably helps a lot that any sentence containing both 'gang violence' and 'Norway' is punctuated by a mandatory question mark.

Dyslexic Untied

Funny thing is that the Halden Prison, as far as I know, per now almost only contains Eastern European prisoners that come to Norway to rob houses. As soon as they are out they will return to their home countries.

So for a lot of money and a lot of focus on rehabilitation the Norwegian society isn't reaping the rewards just yet.