The official Trance/House thread

Mark_GrumpyLion

^ Glad you liked that JOC track.

I disliked Armin Only. I can remember him being in that bloody onion looking thing for a very, very long while before Armin got out of that and the show actually started. If I wasn't so familiar with the Intense album (got it the first day it came out!) I don't think I would have enjoyed the show at all. Haven't listened to Armin since then. Now that he's doing collaborations with Hardwell, it's even more difficult to respect an artist who supposedly claims the trance genre. Definitely better trance options out there. No hate though!

I quite liked the union bit during the Intense shows. Had a nice buildup to it. This new tour has a completely different opener, which you can find on the Armin Only page if you want to see it. And yeah it's a discussion I've been having with my dad (who joined me for both shows) and myself lately. Armin has really become mainstream the last few years, but to be honest: I can't blame him too much. It's what a lot of people want to hear and what makes a lot of money. The new Armin Only show was like this as well, a lot more mainstream party tracks, which I admit to enjoying from time to time. But honestly, the contrast between his sets on mainstream 1 hour festivals, Armin Only shows and his sets at ASOT is very interesting to me. Very diverse. And even if Armin leaves Trance behind (he openly admits that he likes to experiment with different genres and such), I think there is enough new talent coming through that can step up and fill the void, and the ASOT shows and such are still there to build them up and expose more mainstream fans to a lot of those talents.

Sidenote: That track is great!

R. Lim

I quite liked the union bit during the Intense shows. Had a nice buildup to it. This new tour has a completely different opener, which you can find on the Armin Only page if you want to see it. And yeah it's a discussion I've been having with my dad (who joined me for both shows) and myself lately. Armin has really become mainstream the last few years, but to be honest: I can't blame him too much. It's what a lot of people want to hear and what makes a lot of money. The new Armin Only show was like this as well, a lot more mainstream party tracks, which I admit to enjoying from time to time. But honestly, the contrast between his sets on mainstream 1 hour festivals, Armin Only shows and his sets at ASOT is very interesting to me. Very diverse. And even if Armin leaves Trance behind (he openly admits that he likes to experiment with different genres and such), I think there is enough new talent coming through that can step up and fill the void, and the ASOT shows and such are still there to build them up and expose more mainstream fans to a lot of those talents.
I do have to agree with you on Armin's diverse sets. EDM festivals you can expect him to play mainstream garbage, while on his ASOT shows you'll find him step up the trance game (proof recently, he had to give it his best after following Prydz's set - turned out well for good ol' Armin). Not to forget his act as Gaia - definitely on the trance side of things.

He hasn't completely sold his soul for money like Tiesto has... He can't - he owns one of the oldest shows and it has TRANCE written all over it. (ASOT)

That's probably one of the things that Above & Beyond have done smartly, to rebrand their show into "Group Therapy" as opposed to keeping "Trance Around the World" when their sound continued to evolve from the trance we were used to hearing.

Throwback Trance Tuesday Tune:

Mark_GrumpyLion

I do have to agree with you on Armin's diverse sets. EDM festivals you can expect him to play mainstream garbage, while on his ASOT shows you'll find him step up the trance game (proof recently, he had to give it his best after following Prydz's set - turned out well for good ol' Armin). Not to forget his act as Gaia - definitely on the trance side of things.

He hasn't completely sold his soul for money like Tiesto has... He can't - he owns one of the oldest shows and it has TRANCE written all over it. (ASOT)

That's probably one of the things that Above & Beyond have done smartly, to rebrand their show into "Group Therapy" as opposed to keeping "Trance Around the World" when their sound continued to evolve from the trance we were used to hearing.

Throwback Trance Tuesday Tune:

Agree with every single point you made. Have you ever seen Gaia live? It might have been my favourite liveshow ever, and without sounding like a dick, I think I've seen over a thousand, or close to it.

R. Lim

Agree with every single point you made. Have you ever seen Gaia live? It might have been my favourite liveshow ever, and without sounding like a dick, I think I've seen over a thousand, or close to it.
Almost! Last year's EDC night 3 was trance night, but unfortunately made the mistake of seeing New World Punx at Tao Beach Club in the afternoon.. Burnt out and slept through night 3! :lol: Big mistake!

Thousands? That's a lot - I could probably say I've only seen maybe at least a hundred since I was legally able to (not too long ago...)

Is Gaia more your sound? I prefer more uplifting/vocal tracks -- specifically the FSOE, Kearnage and Subculture sounds. Some psytrance here and there, but I can only take in a certain amount of it mixed into sets. I'm also biased to anything anjunabeats. :)

Mark_GrumpyLion

Almost! Last year's EDC night 3 was trance night, but unfortunately made the mistake of seeing New World Punx at Tao Beach Club in the afternoon.. Burnt out and slept through night 3! :lol: Big mistake!

Thousands? That's a lot - I could probably say I've only seen maybe at least a hundred since I was legally able to (not too long ago...)

Is Gaia more your sound? I prefer more uplifting/vocal tracks -- specifically the FSOE, Kearnage and Subculture sounds. Some psytrance here and there, but I can only take in a certain amount of it mixed into sets. I'm also biased to anything anjunabeats. :)
Well, single thousand I think. Been in the music business for a few years, and was on the road/working at festivals every weekend. Counts up at one point. Shame though, Gaia barely performs, but by god, it was amazing. Very hypnotizing, I was all out of my mind and into the music the whole set. I added a picture below.

I can appreciate both, depends on my mood. For shows I prefer the more uplifiting vocal style or some 138 at times, but for work/at home I dig the more subtle sounds. And yeah, Anjunabeats has a fond place in my heart as well.

R. Lim

Well, single thousand I think. Been in the music business for a few years, and was on the road/working at festivals every weekend. Counts up at one point. Shame though, Gaia barely performs, but by god, it was amazing. Very hypnotizing, I was all out of my mind and into the music the whole set. I added a picture below.

I can appreciate both, depends on my mood. For shows I prefer the more uplifiting vocal style or some 138 at times, but for work/at home I dig the more subtle sounds. And yeah, Anjunabeats has a fond place in my heart as well.
Interesting! Every weekend working festivals is a little crazy. :lol:

Not sure if you're aware of Insomniac but the biggest production company in the US right now that brings electronic music all over North America. They have sub-productions based on genre, like Bassrush for trap or something like that... and then they have Dreamstate they just introduced, which is for all kinds of trance (vocal, euphoric, uplifting, psy, etc) I think you'll best enjoy if you come across any Dreamstate produced shows. Aly & Fila FSOE 450 is brought to the US by Insomniac/Dreamstate.

I've heard some Gaia live sets. Not sure why, but not my cup of tea. :( Maybe I just haven't spent that much effort to really getting into it. I'm glad some artists are going back to their trance roots. It's been an ongoing trend lately to play classics - and most of these artists that have strayed away from their trance roots (Ferry, Markus, Armin, Paul Oakenfold, so much more...) are now going back and doing "pure trance" set specials. Thoughts?

Mark_GrumpyLion

Interesting! Every weekend working festivals is a little crazy. :lol:

Not sure if you're aware of Insomniac but the biggest production company in the US right now that brings electronic music all over North America. They have sub-productions based on genre, like Bassrush for trap or something like that... and then they have Dreamstate they just introduced, which is for all kinds of trance (vocal, euphoric, uplifting, psy, etc) I think you'll best enjoy if you come across any Dreamstate produced shows. Aly & Fila FSOE 450 is brought to the US by Insomniac/Dreamstate.

I've heard some Gaia live sets. Not sure why, but not my cup of tea. :( Maybe I just haven't spent that much effort to really getting into it. I'm glad some artists are going back to their trance roots. It's been an ongoing trend lately to play classics - and most of these artists that have strayed away from their trance roots (Ferry, Markus, Armin, Paul Oakenfold, so much more...) are now going back and doing "pure trance" set specials. Thoughts?
Yeah, wasn't the healthiest lifestyle, but it was fun.

I have heard the name, but not that familiar with them. Sounds like they are pretty good, the FSOE show in front of the pyramids was pretty awesome, did they do that one too?

Shame, it's incredible. I love the more classic sets and sound, so I am cool with that trend. You too, I assume?

R. Lim

Yeah, wasn't the healthiest lifestyle, but it was fun.

I have heard the name, but not that familiar with them. Sounds like they are pretty good, the FSOE show in front of the pyramids was pretty awesome, did they do that one too?

Shame, it's incredible. I love the more classic sets and sound, so I am cool with that trend. You too, I assume?
FSOE show in the pyramids isn't produced by Insomniac/Dreamstate. Insomniac Productions are only in the USA :D

I'm cool with it, but there are some DJs that are only going back to their classics sets because they can't produce hits in whatever EDM trend is going on. That... not too cool.

Mark_GrumpyLion

FSOE show in the pyramids isn't produced by Insomniac/Dreamstate. Insomniac Productions are only in the USA :D

I'm cool with it, but there are some DJs that are only going back to their classics sets because they can't produce hits in whatever EDM trend is going on. That... not too cool.
Ah fair, my mistake. Still, that was one of the coolest stage settings I have ever seen.

If they only do it because they can't produce hits it's not very cool.

Reckless Full Back

Doesn't get forward much
Anyone listen to the Anjunadeep Edition 100 live from London sets? I've only listen to part 1 (Yotto) so far and it is pretty good. Perfect summer music.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
On a side note, famed Swiss born DJ Robert Miles who debuted with Dreamland 2 decades ago passed away from cancer a few days ago. The release of Children was a seminal moment for me as it marked the beginning of my passion for trance music

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Anyoje heard of Matt Darey? Idk what he does nowadays but he has mix from 2007 that happens to he one of my favorites. I'll post when I can find it.

Last edited:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
On a side note, famed Swiss born DJ Robert Miles who debuted with Dreamland 2 decades ago passed away from cancer a few days ago. The release of Children was a seminal moment for me as it marked the beginning of my passion for trance music
"Children" is about as good as a piece of music can be for its genre. It's just perfect, it's not just catch it's a genuinely well written bit of piano.

Although it's more "poppy" I really like "One & One" too, great song.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I've been out of the loop for a while but these are some of tunes I used to groove to. I was always hugging the iPod and my mates hated it, unless they were full MDMA! Then they loved it!