The Overall Concept of Manchester United

Resch

The club has lost its orientation, its struggling to form a team. So I asked myself, what is the vision of my club, of Manchester United and I found nothing. We have a great history, but over the last decade we lost so much identity. Before restructuring the team the club has to define its overall concept. What does Manchester United brings to the people? What are the principles?

What is your vision of a modern Manchester United?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Under the current owners the vision is to turn a profit and increase brand awareness in order to make more money.

My vision, albeit very hopeful, is a team playing attractive football and competing for the top prizes on offer, winning them every so often.

macheda14

The club has lost its orientation, its struggling to form a team. So I asked myself, what is the vision of my club, of Manchester United and I found nothing. We have a great history, but over the last decade we lost so much identity. Before restructuring the team the club has to define its overall concept. What does Manchester United brings to the people? What are the principles?

Basically could we just be the British Ajax. Fear youth academy and youth integration whilst playing attractive attacking football. Added benefit being if we could dominate the league.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
it is a franchise.
Any semblence of "football club" vanished when they removed the very words "football club" from the crest.

Its about time people realised that. The old days are over. its just players playing for money these days. The is the PL.

Red_toad

it is a franchise.
Any semblence of "football club" vanished when they removed the very words "football club" from the crest.

Its about time people realised that. The old days are over. its just players playing for money these days. The is the PL.
Not really players mostly want to win things and succeed, whilst being paid handsomely to do so. Jeez a draw sure has brought out the manic depressives on here…

Maticmaker

I've made this point before, United is at its best when it is breaking new ground, i.e. Busby taking the club into Europe (first English club etc.), SAF running away with the new PL (13 titles), and the top treble PL/FA Cup/CL. I want to see us doing that again, that is my vision.

When Martin Edwards turned the club into his personal business venture, the door to 'heavy-duty' investment was opened, which eventually brought in the Glazers 'cash cow' venture. To break new ground now, in footballing terms, relies on breaking new ground in financial structuring. One failed attempt at a 'super league' has passed by, but its is likely to return.... the club has to be ready!!!!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
it is a franchise.

Will you still support us when we become The Miami Devils?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
So tired of these debates - what other club needs to be constantly having to redefine itself/change its approach/demand X amount of years for a transition?

The fact is, in modern football especially, you can change things around very quickly with the right intentions and willingness. Chelsea are a great example of this under Tuchel, Liverpool too under Klopp. People talk about the amount of time Klopp needed to instal his ethos, but the reality is he got them to a major final in his first season and was finishing top 4 by the next.

I can't help but think the belief that Utd are a work-in-process/need time to reach their peak is simply a narrative to appease the board/owners. It's a means of managing expectations and dividing the fanbase further. We are all focussed on the divisions within the club, and who's side we're on rather than the bigger picture.

The fact is we have a squad with massive potential, with only one obvious part of the pitch lacking depth and quality. We have been awful this season, but the fix seems pretty simple. Bring in the necessary quality in midfield and feck off anyone whose attitude isn't there (Martial, Pogba, Lingard being the obvious stand-outs).

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

For me this sums up the concept of the club right now. We've just bottled a 2 goal lead and for some reason they find it worthy to celebrate a fringe player (who has contributed absolutely nothing in 18 months) reaching a 'milestone'.

There's this 'global head of social media' guy on Linkedin. All he ever does is post about how great our socials are. "Look at this Ronaldo announcement video, we broke all records." "Look how we went from 0 to 10 million Tiktok followers in no time." "Look at all these interactions we get every day." It's constant. No care in the world that the actual football is fecking shite. No sense of humility, or realising it might be best to pipe down a bit until results improve.

All that matters to these people is brand awareness. Likes, comments, retweets, shares etc. Drive that traffic towards the club store so suckers can buy this month's latest 'limited edition collection'. As long as engagement keeps increasing they go to bed with a smile on their faces.

OleTheGreat

Wow! It has been such a long time since we've won a trophy. It has been even longer since we've won the league forget about CL. The identity of Manchester United according to me is TROPHIES. We work hard, give everything on the pitch, fight like crazy with or without the ball, the match might be pretty or not but Man United was never counted out regardless of the score-line. We had multiple gears. We had amazing tricksters, highly proactive, hard working, talented and faithful players.

What's left of us now is just the name!! I feel so so bad for us, Man United fans! We deserve a lot more than what we are watching. It has been so bad since 2012-13. Very poor!

McGrathsipan

Not really players mostly want to win things and succeed, whilst being paid handsomely to do so. Jeez a draw sure has brought out the manic depressives on here…
Yes players want to be paid for playing, and yes they want to win - whilst playing for a franchise - any franchise.
So you just explained it to yourself. good boy.

McGrathsipan

For me this sums up the concept of the club right now. We've just bottled a 2 goal lead and for some reason they find it worthy to celebrate a fringe player (who has contributed absolutely nothing in 18 months) reaching a 'milestone'.

There's this 'global head of social media' guy on Linkedin. All he ever does is post about how great our socials are. "Look at this Ronaldo announcement video, we broke all records." "Look how we went from 0 to 10 million Tiktok followers in no time." "Look at all these interactions we get every day." It's constant. No care in the world that the actual football is fecking shite. No sense of humility, or realising it might be best to pipe down a bit until results improve.

All that matters to these people is brand awareness. Likes, comments, retweets, shares etc. Drive that traffic towards the club store so suckers can buy this month's latest 'limited edition collection'. As long as engagement keeps increasing they go to bed with a smile on their faces.
that is the "A" grade propaganda we get served up -

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Under the Glazers, the vision is to make money and increase brand awareness in order to amass more capital via commercial profit.

My preference for the future, albeit optimistic, is a team competing for titles, winning them semi-regularly, and playing beguiling football.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Football as a whole has lost its orientation. Soon it will be a billionaire's playground, with a select few clubs mopping up all the talent, rendering any meaningful competition useless. We are no different to the super league.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Yea i agree.

Zen86

:lol: as if they're actually celebrating that

Moriarty

it is a franchise.

Nail meet hammer...

sillwuka

Right now, the club is a brand. We still have a lot of credit in the bank but if we don't start challenging soon we will be a forgotten relic.

The vision that i assume our Directors sell to potential players/potential employees. Whether we live up to that is a different story:

- We are a family club, we look after our own. Once you wear the shirt and you give your all you will go down in United folklore.
- Our academy will always be key - we will continue to embed talented players from our Academy into the 1st team.
- Style of play 'The United way' fast, exciting, relentless.
- You should be challenging for silverware obviously this isn't happening so trophies is a thing of the past.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

In fairness to the fella you're talking about he's celebrating what his employer, Manchester United, has told him to.

I agree with you completely: What matters to the people running the club is brand awareness. They want Man Utd to become something people want to associate with for its own sake. We mock the millions of interactions. However, for them, that's what lets them sell advertising: If you team up with us X million people will see your logo. It doesn't matter if you're seeing it by a hate click. You're seeing it. I imagine more people have seen the Team Viewer logo in the past six months than ever before. That's what we sell to commercial partners.

I don't blame that guy. He's doing his job. He's probably very good at it. What it makes me regret is that Man Utd are not as interested in hiring the best people for the job on the football side.

When Man City wanted to become the best what did they do? They looked at Barcelona, who were at that point the best team, and they said: We will get their CEO, their Sporting director and their coach. 2 out of the 3 they got pretty much straightaway. The last one took them some years but eventually Pep went to Wastelands. That's how a serious business operates. Man Utd is not a serious business. Its serious in some areas e.g., off the pitch. However, when it comes to on the pitch? Look at John Murtough. He may turn out to be amazing, I hope he does. But he's never been a Sporting Director before. Just like Ed Woodward, he's going to be learning on the job. That's something that would never happen at City. It would never happen in most successful businesses.

The thing that surprises me most is that people say 'Man Utd is run like a business.' Its really not. If Google needed a new Director of Development they wouldn't go and pick someone with no IT background. Google understands that would make no sense because its an IT company. Even when Google is branching off into new things, like renewable energy, it makes sure, in its core business, the people all have the right backgrounds. Man Utd is like the other side of the coin: We pick people in key football roles who do not have the required level of football experience. I cannot think of any successful company in the world that does this. How many banks do you know who pick people for their key roles who don't have any banking experience? Or pharmaceutical companies who pick people for key roles who have no medical experience? It just doesn't happen.

If Man Utd's aim was to be a successful business, rather than a piggybank for the owners, that would be a good first start to getting us back on track.