The Overlap | Gary Neville: Secret Management Offers & United Career | Stick to Football EP 28

dubplate warrior

As for the overlap I like when they have an ex United player on there, I'm halfway through the rio episode and I have liked it so far.

I do think Wrighty and Jill are a bit redundant though
Love Wrighty, Jill feels like a bit of a token.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I actually agree with this.
The Overlap have thrown caution to the wind in some debates and have said some loose things. I get the medium is for them to take their player hat off and talk as fans in a pub style setting, but they can't do that without causing controversy.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I love how around 21mins mark they start tucking into Nandos randomly

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Honestly, Stick to Football gets a bit boring when you watch an entire video. The banter between the guys is monotonous and repetitive. Jill feels like she doesn't fit into this group; the chemistry she has with them isn't natural except with Roy. This show is totally dependent on the guest. Neville, Carragher and Wright are rather dull personalities individually.

The Rest is Football is much more entertaining with the 3 guys constantly roasting each other and having a good laugh.

This might be slightly controversial but I think Footballers are a bit boring and don't generally have the best personalities off the pitch. This is why those fan channels are so popular and get views consistently. The likes of Rory Jennings might be absolutely clueless about the sport but they are funny and entertaining.

My favourite pundit in UK is Simon Jordan. Doesn't always go with the popular opinion, extremely articulate and brutally harsh on the players which makes it hilarious.
Completely disagree. It’s an excellent show that’s a great a mix of insight and pure entertainment. Jill isn’t out of place at all but it doesn’t surprise me that some see it that way he use you know, woman. Keane’s wit is something else.

Simon Jordon is a poor listen imo. He sounds fancy but doesn’t really add much by way of actual value - intellectually or in terms of entertainment.

amolbhatia50k

I think he is kinda right. Gary need not air these speculations on Rashford being unhappy or not in a right state of mind.

Rashford's game has more than enough fodder to criticize.
Well he’s just giving him the benefit of doubt instead of just calling him a crap footballer

tomaldinho1

Rio's a very boring guy to listen to. The Les Ferdinand episode was way better.
I think more that he's very active with his own stuff so it was kind of repeated stories and we know him/see him regularly on tv/podcasts. Les Ferdinand one was super interesting given he's, to my knowledge, not really done the media merry go round and has had lots of jobs within football. Plus being a non United player, the stories we heard were all new. Should get 'Arry on or Neil Warnock, bet they'd be hilarious.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
No, need more interesting former players in the Les Ferdinand mould.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't get this.

Rio: I don't think Rashford is happy
Rashford: I'm happy
Rio: so you're just shit then?
I don't get people saying it was wrong of Gary to say that. Either Rashford's a shit player or he's going through something. I'd much rather someone say it was the 2nd if it was me.

RedDevil@84

I don't get people saying it was wrong of Gary to say that. Either Rashford's a shit player or he's going through something. I'd much rather someone say it was the 2nd if it was me.
Because if you criticize Rashy for being shit on the field, you are criticizing his gameplay or lack thereof.

The other is a complete speculation and involves face reading expertise.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
My first reaction to this was why comment back. But you’re right. If there is genuine concern is the best thing to shine more of a light at this point?
I actually agree with this.
The Overlap have thrown caution to the wind in some debates and have said some loose things. I get the medium is for them to take their player hat off and talk as fans in a pub style setting, but they can't do that without causing controversy.
I think they should be allowed to discuss those things. But having seen that message Neville and co should absolutely be reaching out privately.

Pronewbie

Peep
If Rashford doesn't bust a nut later it's just proof in my mind that he needs to go. Our top players under SAF would do the talking on the pitch. I agree with Goldbridge that this will be a litmus test.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think they should be allowed to discuss those things. But having seen that message Neville and co should absolutely be reaching out privately.
They are being too presumptuous in their "why".
If they stuck to what Charrager spoke about - which is 1) is he actually good enough, 2) why isn't he running and 3) the club not being in a bad place cant fly because Liverpool were't in a good place when Jamie played but still had leaders --> that's all fine. It's analysis from what we see on the pitch.

But its when Rio talks about his company and how he has bad influences etc, that's where it becomes dicey and not right for them to speculate on.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
They are being too presumptuous in their "why".
If they stuck to what Charrager spoke about - which is 1) is he actually good enough, 2) why isn't he running and 3) the club not being in a bad place cant fly because Liverpool were't in a good place when Jamie played but still had leaders --> that's all fine. It's analysis from what we see on the pitch.

But its when Rio talks about his company and how he has bad influences etc, that's where it becomes dicey and not right for them to speculate on.
Yeah 100% anything football related is fair game.

But then I suspect Rio is doing that from the right place and I think it’s of close enough relevance that I’d be giving benefit of the doubt.

It’s not talkSPORT.

ShinjiNinja26

If Rashford doesn't bust a nut later it's just proof in my mind that he needs to go. Our top players under SAF would do the talking on the pitch. I agree with Goldbridge that this will be a litmus test.
I don’t want to ever see Rashford bust a nut, never mind on the pitch but if that’s what you’re into then fair enough. Whatever floats your boat and all that.

King7Eric

Because if you criticize Rashy for being shit on the field, you are criticizing his gameplay or lack thereof.

The other is a complete speculation and involves face reading expertise.
The first one would be much more damaging. Carragher tried to go down that route saying Rashford just isn't that good.

If he's going through something, that's temporary. If he's shit that's unlikely to change. I don't know how much public perception is shaped by these guys but if it is, I'd rather the perception be that the player is going through something and will eventually recover. Rather than it be he's plain shit.

Edit- I should clarify I am speaking from if I was in the player's shoes. Personally, I agree with Carragher. I don't think Rashford is an elite player and after flashes of form, he defaults to his basic level which isn't that high.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
The difference between good and great is consistency. Rashford isn't that consistent, so he's not that great. Any player in the Premier League can knock out a 9/10 performance on any given day but it's only the great players who do it week in, week out, season after season.

Castia

Loved the Moyes part about him looking drained after the first pre season tour then the ‘big club this innit’ comment

Biggest mistake he made was not keeping 1-2 of SAF’s staff. I know he wanted to do it his way but he could have had his own guys around him too.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Talking over each other as usual..
Yeah this gets on my nerves, there’s definitely too many of them. I like Jill Scott as a person, but I’m not really sure what she brings to the podcast.

You’ve got Keano, Neville and co talking about the treble season, beating Juventus, overcoming the odds…

Then Jill tells an anecdote about someone famous coming into her coffee shop.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Love Wrighty, Jill feels like a bit of a token.
it’s all about filling quotas. you’ve got neville for the thick northerners who think they’re smart and good at business, like southerners.

you’ve got ian wright for the minorities.

scott for the women.

keane to keep the foreigns happy.

and carragher for the special needs.

Sir Marcus

Completely disagree. It’s an excellent show that’s a great a mix of insight and pure entertainment. Jill isn’t out of place at all but it doesn’t surprise me that some see it that way he use you know, woman. Keane’s wit is something else.

Simon Jordon is a poor listen imo. He sounds fancy but doesn’t really add much by way of actual value - intellectually or in terms of entertainment.
:confused:

Pughnichi

Agree entirely. Same stories we’ve heard multiple times. A big name but not great content.

Les was much more interesting.

it’s brilliant…but I feel Gary needs to lean on Wright and Carragher to get some Liverpool and Arsenal players on there. It’s not an absolute ManUtd love in…with likes of Les Ferdinand and Hearn amongst others but we’ve seen Beckham, Rooney, Stam, Ole

Lay

Loved the Moyes part about him looking drained after the first pre season tour then the ‘big club this innit’ comment

Biggest mistake he made was not keeping 1-2 of SAF’s staff. I know he wanted to do it his way but he could have had his own guys around him too.
I'm pretty sure during that Asia tour he did a press conference and stated to everyone he didn't realise how big united were. That was the first moment where I thought he's in way over his head.

Think he even compared it to how when Everton go on tour they only one line of fans

Kwabs

Supports
Barcelona
:lol: Sensitive bunch
I know you say this tongue in cheek but I seriously think that he needs to stop responding (whether directly or via his family) to every single thing that is said or written about him. The very same people will praise you or criticise you depending on how you play, so improved performance is the only remedy. No reason to waste time trying to defend yourself on socials or score points against pundits.

amolbhatia50k

She’s a good addition. Had a good sense of humour and brings in tidbits from the women’s game too. Ideally they’d have a manager in there (someone whose managed at a good level) to give a bit of extra tactical inputs but otherwise it’s a great time.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That’s because it’s United related and Rio is out there with his own platform telling all these stories on that I bet most United fans watch every week. I don’t really watch his channels so for me it was an interesting episode.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
She’s a good addition. Had a good sense of humour and brings in tidbits from the women’s game too. Ideally they’d have a manager in there (someone whose managed at a good level) to give a bit of extra tactical inputs but otherwise it’s a great time.

Sir Marcus

She’s great, it was the seemingly random, and misspelt, reference to her being a woman which baffled me.