The Overlap | Gary Neville: Secret Management Offers & United Career | Stick to Football EP 28

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Some good stuff here

Mainly from Keane, obviously.
Would be nice a Chelsea player there to at least try and speak in optimistic terms about the club. You can see Wright defending his club when the others are questioning Arteta and the players. We know Carra will paint Liverpool in the most positive light possible no matter what. That Chelsea segment was just 'Chelsea are crazy, Boehly is awful, doesn't know what he's doing, this can never work, culture is awful etc etc'

Other than, really nice episode. I think the chemistry between Neville, Carra and Keane is always good. Wright and Scott both fit in pretty seamlessly.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Would be nice a Chelsea player there to at least try and speak in optimistic terms about the club. You can see Wright defending his club when the others are questioning Arteta and the players. We know Carra will paint Liverpool in the most positive light possible no matter what. That Chelsea segment was just 'Chelsea are crazy, Boehly is awful, doesn't know what he's doing, this can never work, culture is awful etc etc'

Other than, really nice episode. I think the chemistry between Neville, Carra and Keane is always good. Wright and Scott both fit in pretty seamlessly.
So they do talk a bit of sense, is what you're saying?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So they do talk a bit of sense, is what you're saying?
In a way, yes :lol: but a bit of balance would be nice is what I’m really saying.

You can see Wright for example, trying to his utmost best to offer up all the context, nuance and explanations for the questions around Arsenal and then immediately pivot to the most basic, un-nuanced, outside looking in, takes on Chelsea. Someone like Pat Nevin would have been nice.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I really struggle to watch Neville now after noticing his fake, over the top Corden-like laugh.

FriedClams

How can you not love Beckham. Wouldn’t be the worst candidate for director of football at Utd.

Dan

I’d love to know what Fergie said to him when they ended up on the same flight from Dublin.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Also what the feck was Fergie's deal with Beckham's hairstyles? Why was he so insistent on controlling what kinda haircut he had? So bizarre looking back on it now.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Also what the feck was Fergie's deal with Beckham's hairstyles? Why was he so insistent on controlling what kinda haircut he had? So bizarre looking back on it now.
Bizarre now, but i don't think it was that weird at the time considering how much of a control freak he was. Also Fergie's big thing was all about the team, and the footbal, and nothing being bigger then the team... if Beckham unleashes a new hairstyle on the pitch, that already takes attention away from the football and Manchester United.

saivet

I think there a lot from SAF that if done today by another manager would be heavily criticised. I think SAF did adapt over the years but some of the things mentioned by Beckham just seem way over the top.

There are other bits mentioned with less attention like telling Beckham to sign with a particular agent and SAF being pissed that he signed with someone else that would be deemed out of order today.

SAF adapted in later years but his old school way of managing at the time couldn't be replicated now.

FriedClams

Minute 17:50 is Roy Keane in a nutshell. He's an absolute treasure who must be protected at all costs. What a guy :lol:
when Carragher asks Becks what does he think Gary would do on his last day on earth, keane chimes in with “check his pension” :lol: :lol:

Fooza

More entertaining than football, really enjoyed that watch

FriedClams

Great stuff.

I love Gary's Overlap channel. Quality content.
he’s nailed it. Covers a wide range of topics and I feel like he asks more “normal” questions like you’d expect fans to ask, not briefed media trying to maintain good relationships.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Bizarre now, but i don't think it was that weird at the time considering how much of a control freak he was. Also Fergie's big thing was all about the team, and the footbal, and nothing being bigger then the team... if Beckham unleashes a new hairstyle on the pitch, that already takes attention away from the football and Manchester United.
Yeah he felt Beckham's celebrity lifestyle was distracting him from football and that his hairstyles were becoming a media circus. There was a story he told in his book how Beckham wore a hat all week to cover up a new haircut and Fergie ended up forcing him to take the hat off. If you ask Fergie about Becks today he will tell you that he was a great player but he could've been even better and didn't live up to his true potential.

FriedClams

Yeah he felt Beckham's celebrity lifestyle was distracting him from football and that his hairstyles were becoming a media circus. There was a story he told in his book how Beckham wore a hat all week to cover up a new haircut and Fergie ended up forcing him to take the hat off. If you ask Fergie about Becks today he will tell you that he was a great player but he could've been even better and didn't live up to his true potential.
Which would just be mind boggling, considering the career he had as a player and has had since hanging up his boots.

Boycott

In a way, yes :lol: but a bit of balance would be nice is what I’m really saying.

You can see Wright for example, trying to his utmost best to offer up all the context, nuance and explanations for the questions around Arsenal and then immediately pivot to the most basic, un-nuanced, outside looking in, takes on Chelsea. Someone like Pat Nevin would have been nice.
I like Pat Nevin a lot. He's the best radio commentator/pundit in my view. A fine player in his day. But you most likely have to be of a certain age or a hardcore football fan to know who he is.

I think there a lot from SAF that if done today by another manager would be heavily criticised. I think SAF did adapt over the years but some of the things mentioned by Beckham just seem way over the top.

There are other bits mentioned with less attention like telling Beckham to sign with a particular agent and SAF being pissed that he signed with someone else that would be deemed out of order today.

SAF adapted in later years but his old school way of managing at the time couldn't be replicated now.
I agree with you that certain methods he did wouldn't be accepted today. Although with Beckham specifically I think he may have had a paternal disapproval of how he was spending his money and leading his lifestyle. Lee Sharpe was the flashy playboy winger originally before Beckham and Ferguson had problems with him too but maybe he took it out harsher on Beckham because he knew him as a boy in the academy and therefore supposed to be moulded by certain values whereas Sharpe was a player he bought and moulded elsewhere.

SambaBoy

I find it tedious when they all try to be funny - recycling the same jokes or just being predictable. Even Keane has fallen into that trap.

When it's more off the cuff or they are being serious talking about football, life, past experiences it's much better.

That was a great episode though, really insightful from Becks.

tomaldinho1

I find it tedious when they all try to be funny - recycling the same jokes or just being predictable. Even Keane has fallen into that trap.

When it's more off the cuff or they are being serious talking about football, life, past experiences it's much better.

That was a great episode though, really insightful from Becks.
I liked the ongoing pension gag to be honest.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It does seem totally barmy that Fergie could be pissed off about a shaved head, of all things.

But yeah, as others have mentioned, at the time it felt like Beckham was constantly going all out for media attention, and his hairstyles were a big part of that. SAF clearly didn’t like that and wanted him to concentrate on the football.

Marwood

Because back then the attention around Becks was so great that his hair was front page news. Which he knew. Fergie I'd imagine just didn't want the constant attention. Wanted to keep that celebrity world at arms length. Doesn't do a footballer any good really. Well it helps their bank balance but their game usually suffers.

Marwood

Fergie is on record as saying he didn't agree with plenty of stuff at the time but looking now at the life Becks has created how can he argue.

In terms of his actual football I think Fergie was right. The quest to be mega famous did impact his game. He shouldn't have been in America at that age.

But the overall picture, if that's what Beckham wanted for his life, you have to say he absolutely nailed it.

Andersonson

Fergie also tried to protect Becks. Haircuts etc was much more reported in the media after 98'. Fergie didnt want Becks to go through another storm like he did. But Beckham performed so it looks a bit silly not, but perfectly reasonable at the time

Righteous Steps

Fergie also tried to protect Becks. Haircuts etc was much more reported in the media after 98'. Fergie didnt want Becks to go through another storm like he did. But Beckham performed so it looks a bit silly not, but perfectly reasonable at the time
Even now you don’t really see players with a different haircut every other month.

SER19

if anything, now it makes even more sense. Weve had a raft of seemingly poorly disciplined, immature young players, many of them talented english players, and for all his control, Beckham still managed to buck trends of player behaviour and entertain the celebrity culture. Theres just no doubt that without ferguson, beckham wouldn't have reached his potential. If that involved some sort of control/intimidation/fatherlike rules - then so be it. Somebody will no doubt roll their eyes at my point and try say 'oh if only we'd controlled greenwoods and sanchos hairstyles, we'd be fine', but that's not what i'm saying at all. Ferguson needed to maintain that sort of presence at a time when football was rapidly changing in tv and media.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Are you guys watching the Beckham documentary series on Netflix? I'm 2 episodes in, the nostalgia factor is off the scale. Very well made and full of stuff I didn't even know.

poleglass red

I think Fergie maybe worried that Becks might have veered off track with all the celebrity status he was getting, he didn't, in fact he excelled. All part of the learning curve, as I think after Becks he became less controlling. To look back now and see there was issue with Becks having his head shaved is kind of funny. I seem to recall Clough had issues with players hairstyles as well.

Stadjer

Keane really loves Ole doesnt he. At 49:54 : The players you mentioned and the brilliant players in the Premier League.. Shearer, Henry.... Ole

I havent seen a lot of Ole but from what i have seen and read is that he was a good player that could have been more than a Manchester United sub player. He could have gone to Spurs and be a starter but to mention Ole in the same breath as the all time top scorer and likely the best overall Premier League player seems a bit much. The Chelsea Hazard was a world class player who was signed by Real Madrid with the idea to be their starting LW after Ronaldo left. I dont think Ole was ever considered to be bought and made a starter for Real Madrid or the Italian top teams at that time

Marwood

I think Fergie maybe worried that Becks might have veered off track with all the celebrity status he was getting, he didn't, in fact he excelled. All part of the learning curve, as I think after Becks he became less controlling. To look back now and see there was issue with Becks having his head shaved is kind of funny. I seem to recall Clough had issues with players hairstyles as well.
He didn't excel though. He was sold by Fergie, had a really mixed bag of a time at Madrid and was in America at 31. Playing with practically part time footballers. From a footballing point of view that's not excelling.