The Overlap | Gary Neville: Secret Management Offers & United Career | Stick to Football EP 28

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Looking forward to this one. Wonder if anyone has the balls to question his ability at managing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That was amusing. Listening to the pod I do think he sometimes struggles to take accountability for certain factors but also just wish he'd pick a managerial job a bit better that gives him the funds/fluidity to bring the players he wants to play his style (whatever that is) instead of shooting himself in the foot and meaning he needs these excuses. That next job is his make or break in management. Can't see him getting another if he fails again.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Should be a good one this. Slowly becoming one of the best parts of the week for me.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Still can't believe you lot didn't win more in Europe.

Mike Smalling

I listened to most of that episode, and this point stuck out quite a bit. That might be the first time I've heard such a clear accusation from former professional footballers. Don't really know what to make of it.

tomaldinho1

I listened to most of that episode, and this point stuck out quite a bit. That might be the first time I've heard such a clear accusation from former professional footballers. Don't really know what to make of it.
Could literally be any Serie A team in that period, I swear there were allegations of doping across the league

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Barca were at it too, no doubt in my mind.

They had enough natural talent to beat us anyway but I still believe they were pumped up to keep that pressing going.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Lazio were pretty bad for a couple of these cases but the only time we played them was in the Super Cup in '99 - Probably at the peak of them getting away with it.

AC Milan in the 00's is the only other Italian side that gave us problems, has to be pointing it at them.

Ole'sgunnarwin

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I've said it before and I'll say it again, let the players take anything they want.

I want Chelsea injecting every 12 year old in the academy with whatever shit they gave Messi.

Man-United

Keane and Carragher are great. Wright is ok. Neville just talk far too much.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
100% I thought about it before. There was something crazy about that 2nd leg, never seen a team that fit. We didn't get near them. And he's definitely talking about that match because that's the only time we were eliminated by an Italian team in the mid-2000s.

Could have been 2005 or 2007 by that Milan team.
Both Keane and Neville played then, Keane had departed by 2007 so it's a strong possibility Neville's talking about AC Milan.

If true, what does it say about Liverpool beating them in the final? :wenger:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I've said it before and I'll say it again, let the players take anything they want.

I want Chelsea injecting every 12 year old in the academy with whatever shit they gave Messi.
I am quite interested to see what happens in the juiced up Olympics which is going to happen.

tomaldinho1

HGH. I always wonder if in 10+ years when science is more advanced if something will come about about Messi. He's basically been allowed to use a PED, so you have a very talented young player put on a legal doping programme and he then turns out to be some kind of freak of a senior player...

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Well they had Stam on a few weeks back, maybe they should've asked him (about it).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It'll be a bit of a joke (if it goes ahead, which 9 bet it won't). No elite athletes will go near it.
I wonder if you'll get recently retired athletes doing it or people like Tyson Gay etc.

IRELANDUNITED

Interesting to see ex players calling out clubs for cheating. Barca and lots of Italian teams were definitely doping back in the day, wouldn’t be surprised if Liverpool are too and have gotten away with it on a technicality (asthma)

It’s a great shame to see what football has become in recent decades, if it’s not medically cheating clubs are doing its financial cheating. I’m just glad that our period of dominance came with zero controversy, just outstanding football.

When Ole Gunner took a deliberate red card to prevent a player from scoring Fergie was fuming, he wanted to win at all cost of course but insisted on doing so fairly, that is the Manchester United way.

KeanoMagicHat

HGH. I always wonder if in 10+ years when science is more advanced if something will come about about Messi. He's basically been allowed to use a PED, so you have a very talented young player put on a legal doping programme and he then turns out to be some kind of freak of a senior player...
That was to do with his height though, wasn't intentional for making him a supreme athlete. He would have been 4 foot 11 I think without it. The hormonal therapy was just to make him close to average height, he's still small at 5 foot 7.

KeanoMagicHat

It's still a terrible idea for a multitude of reasons.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Still can't believe you lot didn't win more in Europe.
I've just watched the whole thing now, and it struck me how much Neville loves to build narratives in his own head.

Towards the end when they were talking about what made them professionals and Neville started going on about doing nights out in venues where Liverpool players also frequented and he was like 'oh we the United lads used to go home 1am tops, whereas the Liverpool lads would carry on till 4-5' as a way imply the culture at United was better and Keane was having none of it, immediately corrected him.

tomaldinho1

That was to do with his height though, wasn't intentional for making him a supreme athlete. He would have been 4 foot 11 I think without it. The hormonal therapy was just to make him close to average height, he's still small at 5 foot 7.
They forecast him to 5 foot 4 not 4 foot 11!! He wasn't a dwarf!

KeanoMagicHat

Name 4 reasons.
1) It's terrible for ethical reasons to pump people with drugs and especially terrible for teenagers. The drugs can have serious side effects and making it legal could have terrible lasting effects.
2) You could force talented players that react badly or can't take drugs out of the game, the game becoming a case of who can tolerate the most juicing in their system. It could easily create a game where you can't be a professional without serious doping.
3) Could create a scenario where the best drugs win, turning footballers more like F1 cars and doctors into the key person in the operation. Don't think anyone wants that.
4) Does football really need to get more physical focused than it already is at the expense of technique? It wouldn't lead to a better spectacle.

It goes against the fundamentals of what is regarded as sport, the logic is flawed, it's usually associated with 'oh there are definitely teams at it and get away with it (unproven), so they should just let every team at it'. By the same logic, why even have police, since people get away with crimes all the time? People get away with stealing cars, so why not let all criminals steal cars etc