The overwhelming number of negative articles in the media

Plymouth Red

Just a few thoughts from an old bloke.
  • Bad news sells newspapers, especially when the majority of all fans want to see United fail. Jealousy will always surround us.
  • It's common practice today to analyse to the Nth degree. Look at the posts on here this week about whether Rashford should have passed to Cavani or not. Pre-internet/Sky we didn't have the sources of data to revisit, rewind, compare and afterwards relentlessly moan. We used to lose, swear, moan then move on.
  • Media publications are beyond counting now and they each need headlines, so Messrs. Ince, Murphy, Saha, Sutton, Merson, Barnes, Chadwick and the rest have an immediate outlet for their (bollocks) insight.
  • Why would a pundit who played for our biggest rivals generally say positive things about us and add to our team's confidence? Their conscious or unconscious bias will usually show itself, although Micah Richards is pretty fair in his assessments.
  • There's no doubt we are on a rebuilding journey and sometimes that road has been bumpy for the team and individual players. It's fair game to take a pop at Greenwood for his stupidity alongside Foden. City just handled the outfall better than we did. When Pogba's agent kicks off, it's a chance to highlight the issues we have had since he returned. If we get turned over by a team which we should hammer, we (or Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Spurs) will be caned by the press. Ever t'was thus. I suspect Leicester will get a light touch, though.
There is an answer to the negativity, which is win games, play attractive football, have a squad which behaves responsibly and manage the club in a professional manner. There will still be criticism, but at least we will know it was much harder to find.

NFM

Just a few thoughts from an old bloke.
  • Bad news sells newspapers, especially when the majority of all fans want to see United fail. Jealousy will always surround us.
  • It's common practice today to analyse to the Nth degree. Look at the posts on here this week about whether Rashford should have passed to Cavani or not. Pre-internet/Sky we didn't have the sources of data to revisit, rewind, compare and afterwards relentlessly moan. We used to lose, swear, moan then move on.
  • Media publications are beyond counting now and they each need headlines, so Messrs. Ince, Murphy, Saha, Sutton, Merson, Barnes, Chadwick and the rest have an immediate outlet for their (bollocks) insight.
  • Why would a pundit who played for our biggest rivals generally say positive things about us and add to our team's confidence? Their conscious or unconscious bias will usually show itself, although Micah Richards is pretty fair in his assessments.
  • There's no doubt we are on a rebuilding journey and sometimes that road has been bumpy for the team and individual players. It's fair game to take a pop at Greenwood for his stupidity alongside Foden. City just handled the outfall better than we did. When Pogba's agent kicks off, it's a chance to highlight the issues we have had since he returned. If we get turned over by a team which we should hammer, we (or Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Spurs) will be caned by the press. Ever t'was thus. I suspect Leicester will get a light touch, though.
There is an answer to the negativity, which is win games, play attractive football, have a squad which behaves responsibly and manage the club in a professional manner. There will still be criticism, but at least we will know it was much harder to find.
Good post. I would just add that it is of course possible to use criticism, especially poorly argued, to your advantage. Fergie was a past master at building the 'us against the world' mentality , which stimulated many a victory. As you rightly say, concentrate on getting our house in order and win. They will still hate because of jealousy, but it will just bounce back.

lsd

The Oracle
Man, Duncan Castles is a Jose-loving, United-hating tw@t

His response to someone pointing out United are doing well this season.

He's like a spoiled child.

Never get the obsession with looking at points totals from previous seasons.

The only thing that matters is having more points than anyone else this season.

We may have had more points in 2018 but we were never even close to challenging for the title

Hughie77

Points this season is immaterial because of the special season it is. Other teams are closer much closer than ever. Just because in the last 3 seasons 2 teams have been further than the rest, but they have come back into the pack. It's more of a as it was for years season. I think 99 treble year we won it on 78 or so points, mad.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Never get the obsession with looking at points totals from previous seasons.

The only thing that matters is having more points than anyone else this season.

We may have had more points in 2018 but we were never even close to challenging for the title
It's one of the things that annoys me the most. When you look at some of our best seasons, we didn't necessarily finish with massive points hauls. It doesn't matter - all that matters is staying in the race and ultimately finishing above others. It's extremely contextual, given the way this season has gone it's obviously going to be low points scoring season, so what?

Klopp completely burnt out his first XI these past 2 seasons by prioritising the league (even when it was obvious they were gonna win), doing pretty much no turnover and in the end getting a massive points haul. Again, so what? You don't get another trophy for it, and apart from Scousers who will go on about it ad vitam aeternam, no one really cares.

Fitchett

It's one of the things that annoys me the most. When you look at some of our best seasons, we didn't necessarily finish with massive points hauls. It doesn't matter - all that matters is staying in the race and ultimately finishing above others. It's extremely contextual, given the way this season has gone it's obviously going to be low points scoring season, so what?

Klopp completely burnt out his first XI these past 2 seasons by prioritising the league (even when it was obvious they were gonna win), doing pretty much no turnover and in the end getting a massive points haul. Again, so what? You don't get another trophy for it, and apart from Scousers who will go on about it ad vitam aeternam, no one really cares.
Spot on. Fergie was the pioneer and master of squad rotation. He knew how to pace the team, to avoid burn out and do enough to win, and when to freshen up the squad by replacing players. That's how he managed our 20 years of domination, not two spectacular seasons followed by burn out or meltdown, a la Klopp and Mourinho.

Haddock

I cannot emphasize how much I detest having Jim Beglin on comms. It feels like he is on commentary duty every time we play moaning and slipping in his snide remarks.
Today (a day where Liverpool lost 4-1 at home. Their 3rd straight loss at Anfield in the league) he actually had the audacity to say "Should Liverpool be criticised? I don't think so. They've lost huuuuuuuge influences. They've set incredible standards."

Spare me. City didn't have De Bruyne or Aguero either. Just stick to ScouseFanTV or whatever if that's all you can muster.

Dan_F

I cannot emphasize how much I detest having Jim Beglin on comms. It feels like he is on commentary duty every time we play moaning and slipping in his snide remarks.
Today (a day where Liverpool lost 4-1 at home. Their 3rd straight loss at Anfield in the league) he actually had the audacity to say "Should Liverpool be criticised? I don't think so. They've lost huuuuuuuge influences. They've set incredible standards."

Spare me. City didn't have De Bruyne or Aguero either. Just stick to ScouseFanTV or whatever if that's all you can muster.
Ex Liverpool isn’t he?

dev1l

Man, Duncan Castles is a Jose-loving, United-hating tw@t

His response to someone pointing out United are doing well this season.

He's like a spoiled child.

My impression is that Castles is also close to Jose s friend and super agent Mendes. I guess that s where he get the exclusive news. The price he pays for the news? Asslicking Mendes clients perhaps?
Or maybe bad-mouthing all those who do not suit Mendes agenda?

Mind you Castles is not alone doing that.

My impression is that other so called ITK s do the same job for Mendes, praising his clients in social media "exclusives".

jem

I also get sick of his always going on about players trying to 'dink' the keeper. fecking weirdo.

sonnyfeehan

We may as well get used to it. United are the best supported club and the next best supported is Club ABU. and the media, which does seem overloaded with Scouse lovers feed off both
They are just praying for a club to do the quadruple as they were a few years ago before Liverpool screwed up.
Selling papers and TV advertising is the name of the game. The old saying. Hated, adored but never ignored still holds true for United. Ask Phil McNulty of the BBC, arguably the worst of the lot