The Pogba red card

What's your opinion?

• He meant it. Red card.

• Didn't mean it but it's still a red card.

• Didn't mean it, it's not a red card.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ghagua

Don't think it was intentional, but really can't complain as I think it was deserved.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Glad the poll is reflecting sense.

We all know what he's done and it wasn't malicious but it was nasty and you'd be screaming for a red if it was roles reversed.

Stupid too given the derby next week.

M4YON

We all know what he's done and it wasn't malicious but it was nasty and you'd be screaming for a red if it was roles reversed.

Does bellerins ice skating pose as Pogba attempts the tackle make sense too?

If it wasn't intentional, malicious, two footed or dangerous then its a yellow card.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Not sure it was stupid as once he commited to the challenge, there was nowhere else he could place his foot.

montpelier

I'd really love for someone to come up with a good explanation as to why Bellerin, who is square with the ball with good balance on both feet, decided to make a challenge where his actual connection with the ball is somewhere between his calf and the back of his knee. I've never seen anything like it.
I remember people doing it when I played / trained - it's done as a piss-take, it's like a dummy feinted tackle. really not conducive to good health because... well, as we see here, really. He's effectively leading body-first & making himself wider to get around.

Only an absolute weapon would deploy 'the technique' during a proper game.

matherto

Not sure it was stupid as once he commited to the challenge, there was nowhere else he could place his foot.
He knew he'd overran the ball, given we'd won the match and we've got the derby the next week he could've not put his foot in.

Easier said than done in the heat of the moment but still.

Oscie

He knew he'd overran the ball, given we'd won the match and we've got the derby the next week he could've not put his foot in.

Easier said than done in the heat of the moment but still.
Is it physically possible to change where you land once you're already landing?

matherto

Is it physically possible to change where you land once you're already landing?
Before he made the movement to stick his foot out and land...

Also, actually, yeah you can change the movement of your foot and direction it lands in an instant can't you? Or am I superhuman?

montpelier

I've almost been talked around here actually. But I still don't think an appeal would succeed. You can't get away from how Pogba lands on his leg.

Oscie

Before he made the movement to stick his foot out and land...

Also, actually, yeah you can change the movement of your foot and direction it lands in an instant can't you? Or am I superhuman?
Okay, sprint 10 meters, leap up in the air and before you fall try and land in a different spot than you naturally would without trying.

matherto

Okay, sprint 10 meters, leap up in the air and before you fall try and land in a different spot than you naturally would without trying.
Not landing in a different spot because that was inevitable, just don't land with your studs facing down on someone's leg. He could've pulled his foot back, probably would've then tripped over Bellerin's leg and fell himself but wouldn't have been a red.

As I said, he knew he'd overran the ball so he didn't need to go for it to begin with. Which makes where he landed afterwards irrelevant.

M4YON

It was dangerous though?
If your talking about Bellerin
I agree what moron defends like that.

It wasn't dangerous if Bellerin is defending, you know like a normal defender pogba does zero damage and gets the ball but Arsenal players do love the grass don't they.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
“The United midfielder may say that it was not sarcastic or meant in protest at Marriner’s decision but rather aimed in appreciation of the away fans.”

And the FA would have no chance whatsoever of proving otherwise, even though it’s blatant clear he was being sarky to the ref :lol:

Klopp_De_Klown

“The United midfielder may say that it was not sarcastic or meant in protest at Marriner’s decision but rather aimed in appreciation of the away fans.”

And the FA would have no chance whatsoever of proving otherwise, even though it’s blatant clear he was being sarky to the ref :lol:
He could say he was shouting support at the team and bench to win it without him.

However I THINK the mics pick up an awful lot more than we hear on tv unless there is a lot of noise so he may not get away with claiming he said something they know he did not.

Rajma

I hate telegraph, tory rag. We should appeal for the red card to be overturned in the first place.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
The issue is that it wasn't Pogba's action that made it a dangerous tackle, it was Bellerin's completely unpredictable and unconventional technique of changing his body position completely to obstruct Pogba's path while at the same time challenging for the ball by folding his knee towards it so far it touches the ground with a flat leg.

It was Bellerin that endangered himself, Pogba took absolutely no action that can be classed as dangerous.

Look at it again. Pogba doesn't change direction at all, Bellerin is the one who moves across, away from the ball and into Pogba's path to obstruct his run while trying to leave something behind the ball so it's not a straight up body check foul. He's stupid enough to flatten his leg with his knee behind the ball and put his whole body across into Pogba's path and it happens in a fraction of a second while Pogba is moving at speed. What exactly is is that Pogba could have done here?

I think it could be argued that Bellerin was trying to trip Pogba up.

Have changed my mind 100% on this since it happened. Hoping that will happen with appeals panel because the evidence is compelling.
Quite frankly this is the common sense understanding of the situation but people are somehow finding a way to twist and distort the facts of the matter and unfairly lay the blame on Pogba when there's literally nothing he could have done to avoid landing where he did as it's an impossibility just based off of basic physics.

It's even more stupid when you consider Pogba was going to be in a lose-lose situation regardless. It's either he play the ball and land where he did and we know how that unfolded. Or if he somehow could miracously manage to avoid stepping on Bellerin's leg, he would have flipped head over heals just off Bellerin's positioning and I wouldn't be surprised to see people pin the blame on Pogba somehow in such a case also. The fact it was a lose-lose situation says all there is to say about the stupid position Bellerin put both himself and Pogba in. And it's even more stupid considering people think because it was his leg that was stepped on it should be a harsher decision. Leg shouldn't have been there in the first place and if it was his foot that got stepped on it's essentially a guarantee Pogba at worst would have gotten a yellow but because it was a bigger limb wasn't. So if it was his head he stepped on (which likewise has no place being there) I'm guessing that'd be a 10 game ban going off this logic? Bigger the limb bigger the decision? :houllier:

Belerin endangers Pogba. If Pogba were to somehow miracously avoid stepping on his legs, he would have flipped head over heals due to the way Belerin was positioned. It's the definition isn't it? Foul play on Belerin! ..though I'm certain people would manage to blame Paul in that scenario too...
Precisely. The double standard placed on Pogba because his cleats made contact "on the back of his leg" is ridiculous. It's phrased as if the back of the leg was in a normal position when it wasn't. That would be the equivalent of saying 'Pogba made contact with the back of his head'. At first glance you'd be thinking what in the feck was his foot doing around his head and later find out the guy's head was actually at foot level a few inches off the ground. Paints a different picture doesn't it.

...stupid how just because a different limb was there other than what would normally be the foot and the decision stakes are raised. Pretty ridiculous actually and again just shows how clumsy of a position the defender was in.

Nucks

RT History Department

This just tells me that you're biased. It's not a red card for me, you reverse the roles there and Bellerin stands on Pogba, not a red card.

I guess that's the difference between people who can't separate their own bias from decision making, and people who can.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The irony after wishing injuries on city players :houllier: karma at its finest.
If Karma existed then oil clubs like yours, City and PSG would not get the success they do. But in real life, the bad guy usually wins.

Rio5

Why people aren’t asking red for koszielnys headbut on matic, it was way more dangerous than pogbas ”challenge”? Imo both are yellows.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
Sorry but this is so freaking stupid.. The other idiot puts his foot like that and it's Pogba's fault? So if for instance a player decides to head the ball from half a meter off the ground and the enemy player uses his foot we should call that dangerous play and call it a foul? Are we Joking here? Sure if it was a tackle then yes, but it's not and obviously the only cause to ban that move is if it's malicious, if let's say it's decided that it wasn't malicious shouldn't they then overturn the decision?

Barry Johnson

I hate to say it but a clear red card in my opinion. I think Pogba's temperament is questionable and he is a liability at times

red thru&thru

Sorry but this is so freaking stupid.. The other idiot puts his foot like that and it's Pogba's fault? So if for instance a player decides to head the ball from half a meter off the ground and the enemy player uses his foot we should call that dangerous play and call it a foul? Are we Joking here? Sure if it was a tackle then yes, but it's not and obviously the only cause to ban that move is if it's malicious, if let's say it's decided that it wasn't malicious shouldn't they then overturn the decision?
I’m glad I’m not the only one who has your view. Also, people have to take into account who the player is. In the 8 years or so I’ve watched Pogba play, I’ve never seen a malicious tackle from him. If it were Scholes or Keane, then I could understand the red card...but only on the basis of reputation.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
According to my limb-to-decision-o-meter, head step would unfortunately cost said player the very minimum 10 games. Equivalent of 3 reds, easy.

@ the latter, that's what should happen but appeal processes don't always prevail with common sense logic for whatever reason. Btw below a response earlier to a reply that an explanation should be given either way, if the decision is upheld or not. Over here in Canada in the NHL that's the system used and it gives a lot of clarity to all parties involved. Don't get why football hasn't caught on to it yet tbh.

Yep. At first glance looks like he didn't get the ball.

Yea it's understandable if the ref missed it, happens in sports. Doesn't help Pogba didn't go to the ref when he called for him. I think that led to the instant red as the ref probably got fed up waiting when Pogba was genuinely explaining what happened to the hurt defender.

...I hope so but again common sense doesn't always prevail in sports for numerous reasons (stubbornness, unwillingness to admit a mistake, etc). And the latter definitely. In hockey if a malicious hit is made and is suspension worthy, the DOPS (department of player safety) will review it and come out with a video explanation defending whatever ruling they decide on. Makes things very clear for all parties involved and takes away any grey areas or uncertainty.

...and likewise, there's videos for plays that are noncalls as well.

Edit - 1:05 mark of the video if applied to Pogba situation would easily be enough to overturn the decision, especially considering he got the ball first which the ref missed and alone is enough to clear him

breakout67

Supports
Man City
To those trying to debate whether its going to be overturned, its not. The FA will never overturn a decision like this because its a PR disaster. They will only consider decisions that have a consensus over them, because there is no backlash and they get a pat on the back for 'making the game better'.

Super Hans

Had Bellerin tackled properly, nothing would have come of it. Bellerin's technique meant a poor tackle from Pogba became one that on another day could have done some real damage.