The Premier League 2023-24 worst managers?

Pintu

Who has been the worst performing manager/coach in the Premier League for the 2023-24 season?

My choices would be (in no particular order) Eric Ten Hag, Mauricio Pochettino, Vincent Kompany, Chris Wilder and Rob Edwards.

Considering the resources and expectations at the start of the season, alongside their team’s actual performance, who do you think has fallen short the most?”

edit: Rob Edwards was indeed a very bad shout. Luton can’t be expected to do much more.

Last edited:

AshRK

Why not eddie howe in the contention. He has been awful this season

Pintu

Why not eddie howe in the contention. He has been awful this season
I honestly feel he’s been dealt a bad hand… The CL draw put him in the worst possible group and he still made it contentious, they were competitive until the very end.

In the league his defensive structure has definitely been exposed and they concede too many goals, but I can’t help thinking he’s doing a decent job given the circumstance and the lack of experience at the club. This is club that hasn’t played in Europe for ages. All clubs suffer from the increased expectations as well.

By the way, the xPTS has them quite high up the table.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Paul Heckingbottom definitely number one... Then Kompany, then Hodgson.

Honourable mentions to Poch, ETH, Wilder and Howe

CallyRed

Have the managers of promoted teams fallen short based on the fact that all three were tipped as favourites to go straight back down? I would disregard those clubs in the conversation though Rob Edwards has got Luton into a stronger position most didn't predict.

EtH, Poch, Howe are the stand outs based on money spent and/or expectations on the back of last season.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Ten Hag and Howe.

Pochettino vs. net spend? Absolutely. I find him hard to assess though. There's an expectation that Chelsea will do well because of the spend and them being good for the past 20 years, but this is now their 2nd season in mid-table, 3 managers have been unable to get a tune out of them and the managers had very little say in who they bought under Boehly. Perhaps they'll improve as they get older as there's a lot of young players in there, but for now it's looking like they massively overspent on a load of turd. I have a hard time deciding where they should be in the table based off their squad. Can see an argument for top 4 but also for about 8th-9th. Strange club currently.

Not having Edwards in there at all. 21 points behind Burnley in the Championship last season which itself was a huge over achievement. Didn't have much of a transfer budget at all and have done the best of the 3 promoted clubs when they were expected to finish dead last. They'd have been well adrift if not for Forest's and Everton's points deductions but I still think they deserve a lot of credit.

Luton do look like they're running out of steam a little, and losing to Bournemouth when 3-0 up a few weeks must have been a killer but in general they've fought well in nearly every game, always seem up for it and I've been impressed. They lack serious quality but have a never say die attitude that I can only think is instilled by the manager to large extent. Potential manager of the year if they stay up.

Burnley and therefore Kompany have done the worst of the promoted teams vs. expectations so far and it's not even close. Of the newly promoted sides they're the one with the most recent appearances in the top flight so should have more PL infrastructure/resources in place, they won the Championship at a canter and spent quite a lot. Even then nobody would be surprised if they go down vs. pre-season expectations.

Frank vs. last season? Think they've had the biggest drop in position of all teams so far, but where should Brentford actually be? Last season was a huge success and a surprise to many. Losing Toney through suspension and Mbeumo to injury for 3 months at a key point this season was always going to be difficult for them. Just being in the PL should be an achievement for them in my book.

Guardiola could actually be a shout as a (dis)honourable mention depending on how the rest of the season pans out for City. Should they finish 3rd and not make the CL final that would be disappointment. On the other hand they might end up winning both!

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
From expectations in August....Poch by a mile imo. Chelsea winning last night took them from 12th to 10th in early April. That's the context needed.

I think aswell in the last few months West Ham have been a major disappointment. They were steady first half of the season, had that purple patch over xmas when they won against Man. United and Arsenal and the press were all calling for Moyes to get a new deal.

Since then they've played 12 prem games and won two of them. Failed to win v Sheffield United and Burnley at home in that time. Also lost to Bristol City in the cup and they've only had one European tie in that time so can't blame fixture congestion.

They could finish bottom half so that would be two successive bottom half finishes so would imagine that would be it for Moyes who's done a good job there but has taken them as far as he can.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Paul Heckingbottom definitely number one... Then Kompany, then Hodgson.

Honourable mentions to Poch, ETH, Wilder and Howe
I wouldn't say those managers are performing worse than Poch. We've been in the bottom half all season. For me it's Poch by an absolute distance.

Pintu

I wouldn't say those managers are performing worse than Poch. We've been in the bottom half all season. For me it's Poch by an absolute distance.
We all thought that it was a blessing in disguise for you to not have European football this year... I believe the last time this happened you won the league. So sure, your season is extremely disappointing result-wise…

But I can see some mitigating circumstances for Poch. The quality of your team isn’t a certainty.. Many of your expensive players are just promising talents with little to no experience of the pressure at big clubs and high-level Football.

The underlying statistics (you’ve been regularly producing quite high xGs) also speak for some decent job being done in the attacking component of the game. Just not good enough work on the finishing.