Television The Problem With Jon Stewart

Dante

Average bang
New fortnightly show from Jon Stewart. It's like a slightly more casual version of Last Week Tonight.

First episode was about healthcare for veterans. I really liked it. Showed John Oliver and Trevor Noah how it's supposed to be done. The OG is back.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
New fortnightly show from Jon Stewart. It's like a slightly more casual version of Last Week Tonight.

First episode was about healthcare for veterans. I really liked it. Showed John Oliver and Trevor Noah how it's supposed to be done. The OG is back.
What's wrong with John Oliver apart from being an LFC fan? Haven't watched it in a while now but the pieces have usually been well constructed, documented, and funny (the latter being subjective of course), and over the years he's built his own mythology with characters and running gags.

Dante

Average bang
What's wrong with John Oliver apart from being an LFC fan? Haven't watched it in a while now but the pieces have usually been well constructed, documented, and funny (the latter being subjective of course), and over the years he's built his own mythology with characters and running gags.
His topics have run out of steam over the years, imo (not his fault, but still).

He's also nowhere near as intelligent or as strident as Stewart (the interview on TPWJS in yesterday's episode was brilliant).

You're right that the relative quality of their humour is subjective. But I personally think Oliver is miles behind and relies on the same punchlines over and over. He's become a bit of meme in that respect these days.

Oliver blew up in popularity during the Trump era as one of the leaders of the leftwing media resistance. His prominence has dropped since Biden took over. I still find Last Week Tonight mildly entertaining. But I don't think he has anywhere near the chops to make his show must-view in the way Stewart did even during the Obama presidency. And I say that as somebody who still watches LWT every week, but finds himself caring less and less.

Dante

Average bang
Episode 1 was refreshing because I've missed Jon Stewart.

Episode 2 was a bit all over the place.

Episode 3 was the best yet. I think they're beginning to find their feet.

The topic is Guns next fortnight.

Dante

Average bang

Lsat week's episode was pretty good. I also loved the moment when Jon Stewart let his anger slip through and called one of his own panellists a 'motherfecker' at around 13:00 :lol:

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap

Lsat week's episode was pretty good. I also loved the moment when Jon Stewart let his anger slip through and called one of his own panellists a 'motherfecker' at around 13:00 :lol:
I didn’t like that episode at all once it got the panel stuff. I might not agree with that guy, but I take big issues with not allow people to say their bit. Why even bother having the discussion if all you’re going to do is talk over them constantly and play up to the clapping seals about how tolerant you are? Speaking of intolerant, the utter fecking state of that big fat bitch. Nothing but social media buzzwords coming out of her mouth and then “that’s why we don’t invite white men to our show”. Last I checked, Jon is a white man. And I’m pretty sure she’d love having him on. And let’s not for one second forget that we were watching a group of white people sitting around a table trying to solve racism in America…

Honestly, that whole panel bit just came across as bullying.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
His topics have run out of steam over the years, imo (not his fault, but still).

He's also nowhere near as intelligent or as strident as Stewart (the interview on TPWJS in yesterday's episode was brilliant).

You're right that the relative quality of their humour is subjective. But I personally think Oliver is miles behind and relies on the same punchlines over and over. He's become a bit of meme in that respect these days.

Oliver blew up in popularity during the Trump era as one of the leaders of the leftwing media resistance. His prominence has dropped since Biden took over. I still find Last Week Tonight mildly entertaining. But I don't think he has anywhere near the chops to make his show must-view in the way Stewart did even during the Obama presidency. And I say that as somebody who still watches LWT every week, but finds himself caring less and less.
Bit late, but I bet all the talk show hosts hate that Trump lost the election. I used to watch all of Colbert, Meyers and Noah just to stay updated on his precidency in a very light hearted way, but after he lost I pretty quickly realized how incredibly annoying Meyers actually is and now I only watch Trevor Noah on the rare occasion.

I still think TLW is great, though.