The quality of attacking football throughout the league

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Now I know there’s the argument that defensively teams are all over the shop at the minute and it’s true. You can see everywhere that organisation is lacking and intensity is a yard off.

The counter argument though is that I reckon throughout the league there’s been a serious uptick in the quality going forward and the general level of very attractive football being played.

Doesn’t seem to matter if it’s a traditional big team or one you’d have pegged for relegation in a normal season, there’s some seriously lovely football going on.

Lots of one touch passing, quick transitions, beautifully placed through balls and the sheer technical ability everywhere seems to have massively improved.

The lack of fans seems to be translating into added confidence to try things that players wouldn’t normally do for fear of getting slated.

Overall is it as good as it’s ever been?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Now I know there’s the argument that defensively teams are all over the shop at the minute and it’s true. You can see everywhere that organisation is lacking and intensity is a yard off.

The counter argument though is that I reckon throughout the league there’s been a serious uptick in the quality going forward and the general level of very attractive football being played.

Doesn’t seem to matter if it’s a traditional big team or one you’d have pegged for relegation in a normal season, there’s some seriously lovely football going on.

Lots of one touch passing, quick transitions, beautifully placed through balls and the sheer technical ability everywhere seems to have massively improved.

The lack of fans seems to be translating into added confidence to try things that players wouldn’t normally do for fear of getting slated.

Overall is it as good as it’s ever been?
I'm going to believe in this like a cult member who's fully lost in the sauce because the alternative, which is probably a just as good an explanation, is too damn annoying to keep thinking about.

Last edited:

Theonas

Scout
Without a doubt. John Terry alluded to this couple of years back I think. He said something about how he is happy he doesn't have to deal with the pace and quick transitions of the forwards today. The individual quality is not necessarily higher but the combinations and level of attacking commitment is ridiculously high for the past 4 or 5 years in the Premier League.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Even mid table teams have some quality attackers now a days and there is more emphasis to play pleasing football than survival by any means like the Allardyce and Pulis era. I think the younger generation of managers has a little to do with it as well.

SinNombre

While I agree that more teams have good attacking players and there is depth in the league (always a good thing), a lot of it is also due to top teams having little tactical flexibility and collapsing like a pack of cards (10-men United against Spurs, Spurs today, Liverpool against Villa, City against Leicester, Chelsea yesterday) when they are attacked.

If the top teams had great attacking quality, they would be dominating and scoring a lot in Europe. They are not.

Do you think 2006-09 era United or Chelsea having these defensive collapses. They didn't even against arguably the best team in history.

Skills

Snitch
While I agree that more teams have good attacking players and there is depth in the league (always a good thing), a lot of it is also due to top teams having little tactical flexibility and collapsing like a pack of cards (10-men United against Spurs, Spurs today, Liverpool against Villa, City against Leicester, Chelsea yesterday) when they are attacked.

If the top teams had great attacking quality, they would be dominating and scoring a lot in Europe. They are not.

Do you think 2006-09 era United or Chelsea having these defensive collapses. They didn't even against arguably the best team in history.
Isn't that because of the type of pressure they're put under now? You're seeing the same kind of 'embarrassing' score lines in Europe as well - Barcelona's thrashing to Bayern just a few months ago being prime example (and Liverpool the year before).

SinNombre

Isn't that because of the type of pressure they're put under now? You're seeing the same kind of 'embarrassing' score lines in Europe as well - Barcelona's thrashing to Bayern just a few months ago being prime example (and Liverpool the year before).
One off results used to happen in the past as well. Remember the 7-1 vs Roma.

Anyways I was referring to the PL teams and their attacking quality in Europe.

fps

I feel that the lack of crowds has resulted in a more enjoyable watch. I hate seeing seas of seething male anger and aggression though.

RUCK4444

Probably a mix of the two, plus the empty crowds.

I think the lack of crowd pressure adds to defenders taking their foot off the gas and lets forward players express themselves, strangely.

To play in these games they would absolutely feel like behind closed door friendlies, that’s bound to affect the mental aspect of the game.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
When it’s just 22 players going out and playing football with no exterior influence, quality isn’t compromised by fan pressure nor is quality compromised by an intimidating atmosphere or boosted by an intimidating atmosphere. It’s just quality players having a game of football and nothing else hence the silly scorelines.

In previous years where fans were allowed, there’s no way that if we were 3-1 down after 20 minutes at Old Trafford we would have lost our heads the way we did the other week. The fan disgruntlement booing/rallying etc. would have meant we kept our concentration.

Bobski

Defending is very poor at the moment, the number of pens for questionable challenges shows this. Look at the one Rashford won yesterday, what is the thinking behind the challenge on him, running into a crowd, and the defender lacking discipline gives him an needless penalty.

Agree that the lack of crowds removes some of the pressure from the game and allows the high level of talent to shine more freely.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think VAR also has a lot to do with it.

Defenders can’t get away with snide fouls and thuggery that had previously been a core part of their skill set.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I heard an ex pro (can’t remember who) talking about these collapsed and he reckons the absence of fans is a big factor. He said that the embarrassment of being humiliated in front of thousands of fans makes you dig deep when you’re getting a bad beating and it stops one-sided games becoming total routs. He reckons the players accept the defeat, stop caring and start counting the minutes to full time.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I wonder how much it has to do with more teams trying to play out from the back no matter what and losing the ball to an easy counter.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I think VAR also has a lot to do with it.

Defenders can’t get away with snide fouls and thuggery that had previously been a core part of their skill set.
This. Shirt pulling in particular has been a staple forever and now they cant get away with it. I also think the changes to the handball rule is affecting how many defend. If you are running around with your hands on your back you are not really shaping your body the best way.

Cloud7

I think the biggest factor is the lack of crowds. I can’t put my finger on why exactly that is, but that’s been the major change this season compared to the previous ones, and it’s thrown up all these ridiculous results.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I think the biggest factor is the lack of crowds. I can’t put my finger on why exactly that is, but that’s been the major change this season compared to the previous ones, and it’s thrown up all these ridiculous results.
Psychologically it’s a huge factor. Way less pressure on the players to perform on the pitch in the stadium. They’re insulated from insults and boos and all the rest so they try more and don’t get downbeat about making mistakes.

Cloud7

Psychologically it’s a huge factor. Way less pressure on the players to perform on the pitch in the stadium. They’re insulated from insults and boos and all the rest so they try more and don’t get downbeat about making mistakes.
Could very well be. Personally I'm loving it. Not necessarily from a United standpoint, but as a football watcher on the whole, I love seeing small teams do well.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Premier league probably isn't quite as end to end and carefree in style as it was 20 years ago with more possesion based styles but certainly the transitions in play are more deadly than ever with the front 3s most of the top teams have.

BCD has certainly added another element now. In a funny way crowds are always asking players to shoot or get the ball forward quickly even when winning so players getting more time to think about decisions and increasingly making the right ones in final third without crowd advising.