The Reality Draft - QF1: Raees vs VivaJanuzaj

Who will win with players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VivaJanuzaj

• Scirea v Rumenigge... and help from Zanetti too.
  • Conti v Alaba and tracks back to help out with any overlaps on the right flank.
  • Belodedici v Enzo .. very tactically intelligent defender who will read his trickery well but has Ballack and Conti protecting his flank too.
  • Stoichkov given more freedom to come inside and wreak havoc.. Davids/Socrates combination to take care of Reuter overlaps but I doubt he'll have the time to be bombing forward much.. alot of danger down his side, which means big V will have to drift over to quell it and that leaves Adams, Alaba and Veron to deal with Ballack, Socrates, Conti and Villa. Massive mismatch.
So RVN vs Terry alone?
I like it. Thanks, thats an easy deal for me.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I concur, Davids was enough covering the other flank, now Zanetti has gone there as well, plus Scirea switched to the left-most position, and the entire flank has been left for Conti to track back and cover. Completely lost all balance there.

All of a sudden Francescoli is free to drop deep to receive, dragging Belodedici with him and takes him and Terry out with a perfect ball for RvN.

Rinse and repeat.

Game over.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
and the entire flank has been left for Conti to track back and cover.

All of a sudden Francescoli is free to drop deep to receive, dragging Belodedici with him and takes him and Terry out with a perfect ball for RvN.
I agree about Conti, think it's quite a big ask. I know Ballack is on that side but I think he would probably end up having to deal with Seedorf a lot of the time.

Gone for Viva in this one, the teams are a lot more evenly matched than I thought at first glance though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
How many times are we permitted a formation change by the way? If i'm going to lose - might as well go out spectacularly.. not an official change btw

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Went for Viva. I honestly think Raees has benefited little from all these permutations - his original set-up was better than this last one, and the one before that too. *

Both teams have weaknesses, though - I'm not fully sold on any of them. As such it's close - but I can't look past that attacking trio of Viva's. He'll outscore his opponent here by at least one goal - and that suffices.

* I'd have gone for something like this:

Catenaccio style defense with Belodedici being more of a third CB than a fullback, Zanetti in his best role, as a - well - pretty damn complete right back. Fairly clear roles in the middle of the park: Davids as DM, Socrates as AM, Ballack as something approaching B2B.

Stoichkov as free roaming forward/winger on the left, Conti in a side midfielder role on the opposite side. Morena up front - I'm sure anto would've assisted plenty in arguing his case!

Focus on the strengths - allow for some flaws. You don't need a, say, comprehensive, complete threat down each flank, for instance. The right flank will be used for traditional wing play/combinations between an offensive fullback (one who can certainly pull his weight defensively too in this particular case) and a wide man (Zanetti and Conti), you don't need a corresponding feature on the left flank.

Last edited:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Went for Viva. I honestly think Raees has benefited little from all these permutations - his original set-up was better than this last one, and the one before that too. *

Both teams have weaknesses, though - I'm not fully sold on any of them. As such it's close - but I can't look past that attacking trio of Viva's. He'll outscore his opponent here by at least one goal - and that suffices.

* I'd have gone for something like this:

Catenaccio style defense with Belodedici being more of a third CB than a fullback, Zanetti in his best role, as a - well - pretty damn complete right back. Fairly clear roles in the middle of the park: Davids as DM, Socrates as AM, Ballack as something approaching B2B.

Stoichkov as free roaming forward/winger on the left, Conti in a side midfielder role on the opposite side. Morena up front - I'm sure anto would've assisted plenty in arguing his case!

Focus on the strengths - allow for some flaws. You don't need a, say, comprehensive, complete threat down each flank, for instance. The right flank will be used for traditional wing play/combinations between an offensive fullback (one who can certainly pull his weight defensively too in this particular case) and a wide man (Zanetti and Conti), you don't need a corresponding feature on the left flank.
That would have run Viva very close. Even Raaes original set up was fine. He changed it too quickly

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I was pretty sure to vote for Raees yesterday, but I really hate the new formation. I love Conti and he was of course excellent in this role in '82 once, but I think you completely ignored the opponent's set-up here. The Zanetti - Conti pair looked like a brilliant, almost unstoppable wing. Now, Enzo has more space to drift into, is up against a single defender, who isn't as comfortable to cover a free roaming attacker and Alaba won't ever face 1vs2 situations in defense. Strange decision.

Against Brazil in '82, Conti didn't really have a quality opponent out wide, Junior didn't attack down the wing, usually drifted inside into a DM position and Eder drifting wide wasn't really a move to trouble the Italian wide players, it was about dragging centerbacks wide for Zico to run into. Conti could do a job defensively, no doubt, but he never had to do anything comparable to what you need him to do in this game now. Look at Italy's line-up in the final against Germany for example, where Bergomi was already part of that 5 man defense and Conti had more cover than a winger could hope for.

I also don't get why you want Zanetti on the left all of a sudden. I'm not sure he's the best suited player to defend against Rummenigge, who I'd say was more of a 2nd striker/wide forward while Enzo was more of a 2nd striker/AM type and you don't want Scirea getting dragged out and leave Terry and Belochap in the middle. I was surprised how great your team looked against Viva's and thought your original set-up had a slight edge, it's really gone now and turned into a bit of a mess. Sorry mate.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Seems like I ballsed it up, oh well - gave it a good bash.. anyway guys what is the rules on formation changes for future reference. I've made one official one - can you change back etc.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Seems like I ballsed it up, oh well - gave it a good bash.. anyway guys what is the rules on formation changes for future reference. I've made one official one - can you change back etc.
I think so. Substitutions should be limited of course, but as long as the game master finds the time to change the formation, you should be allowed to do it as often as you want.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think so. Substitutions should be limited of course, but as long as the game master finds the time to change the formation, you should be allowed to do it as often as you want.
Fine if @Edgar Allan Pillow permits it.. I'll make an official change and stick to my original formation and tactics (1 substitution).. no more deviations - self imposed ban! don't think it helps the game if someone is changing formations left, right and centre.. but if permitted, I'll just go back to my original but with Morena up front.

F. Morena

http://www.worldsoccer.com/blogs/fe...fans-paid-for-him-to-sign#VivSdQD2L7K40Opt.99

The Uruguayan Falcao in that he was as complete as they come as a goal-scoring threat. Could score any type of goal and could do so in high pressure situations as evidenced by his goal-scoring record in the South American equivalent of the Champions League 'Copa Libertadores'. He led his team to 1 Cl’s and was top scorer in 3 tournaments.. which if you take into account the era he was playing in - remarkable.. it truly was one of the toughest era’s in South American football history. It was the last great era before Europe started poaching all the best talent.

I think you've done superbly to be honest, I thought I would win it fairly easily pre-match as I felt I have the clear upper hand but you've put on a great fight and it was extremely close. That change really gave me the edge I needed..
Still time for a turnaround though, plenty of mangers haven't voted yet.
Everyone had you down as a finalist including myself.. and there is not much for you to improve upon once you get through in all honesty - so it's been a good learning curve!

Last edited:

VivaJanuzaj

I think you've done superbly to be honest, I thought I would win it fairly easily pre-match as I felt I have the clear upper hand but you've put on a great fight and it was extremely close. That change really gave me the edge I needed..
Still time for a turnaround though, plenty of mangers haven't voted yet.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Raees sorry for the suggestion, it certainly didn't help you there :(
You were trying to help pal! no worries. It is my debut haha... does help though if people get their votes in quicker, I didn't quite appreciate the importance of that before being in a game myself - as I missed out on my round 1 game, have no clue as to how posters take to certain players/tactics etc.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
You still had a wonderful team. I would have thought the votes might be much closer than what it is now.

Great game though.

Edit: Too late to update the sub in OP now :lol: