The Reality Draft - Round 1: MJJ / Theon vs Skizzo

Who will win with players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

.......................Team @MJJ ( @Theon )............................................................................................. Team @Skizzo................................................

Tactics: Team MJJ (Theon)

FORMATION

A classic 4-2-2-2 system also known as a Brazilian magic square.

Previously used by Madrid, Juventus and currently by Pelligrini at City, the formation is best known as the regular system of the Brazilian National Team winning the World Cup in '94, reaching the Final in '98 and most famously captivating the imagination with breathtaking football in '82.

TACTICS
The system is set up perfectly for the three stand out creative players on the pitch - Rivaldo, Bochini and Totti - to interchange, link up and create chances with quick decisive passing. There is simply far too much creativity and ability on the ball to prevent this team creating opportunities.

Three Brief Points

1. Crespo's Movement and Aerial Ability - Unplayable at his peak for Parma and Lazio, Crespo's physicality, ruthless finishing and movement behind the defence provide a constant target for through balls. At over 6 ft Crespo is taller than both of Skizzo's centre backs - and much more physical than Marquinhos, who has a huge task on his hands given his age and experience.

2. Rivaldo Pulling Wide - Comfortable playing through the middle or on the left Rivaldo is perfect for this role, drifting out wide to utilise his exceptional dribbling ability and exploit any gaps, before attacking centrally to finish chances - A clinical goalscorer with an incredible 116 goals in four seasons at his peak.

3. Sammer/Souness Dominance in Midfield - Arguably the best midfield in the draft, fiercely competitive, physically imposing and excellent on the ball, they will constantly break up attacks and recycle possession. With Sammer deeper playing freely as a libero, Souness will push higher and play the box to box role he excelled in with Liverpool, Captaining the side to three European Cups as one of the greatest midfielders of his generation.

ONE NOT TO BE UNDERRATED - RICARDO BOCHINI

A great, technical footballer - Bochini is a typical #10 with wonderful passing, creativity and awareness of his teammates to read the game and slip in through balls. There are lots of match compliations on youtube over a good decade and Bochini is consistently impressive, transforming from a more explosive dribbler to a cultured #10.

Not the fastest player, but agile and deceptively quick on the turn, Bochini had flawless technique with the ability to drag and maneuver the ball away from his opponents before accelerating and gliding down the pitch. Some of his passing is genuinely wonderful, he'll often just flick it to a teammate without taking a first touch as if he knows what he's going to do before the ball even gets to him.

Most importantly Bochini's passing is progressive and incisive, not hitting 95% accuracy stats - the way a Xavi styled passer would - because his first thought is always offensive. Besides the odd flicked pass backwards to alleviate pressure, the majority of his passes are forward trying to create chances and move the team up the pitch.

The interplay between him and Totti will be absolutely fantastic to watch - even Rivaldo will take a back seat here. Two of the game's best passers feeding a devastating strike partnership up front, with Souness and Sammer recycling possession and controlling the game in behind. It's the perfect platform for Bochini and Totti to shine, which is sure to result in wonderful offensive football.

A 442 formation with a Madrid connection on the right side guaranteed to provide goals.

Deschamps provides the hardworking defensive minded player alongside the attacking, creative Schuster. Deschamps will be looking to clean up and intercept play through the middle, and provides cover for the back pair of Marquinhos and Forster.

Marquinhos will be picked on as a "weak link", but he has already shown he can play at the top level with Roma, putting up stats among the best in Europe. He has shown the athleticism and understanding of the game to be able to do a solid job back there, and he'll be helped by Deschamps, and the formidable Forster.

Barnes and Michel are both hard working, creative wingers who will be up and back. They're supported by two full backs, who were both considered among the best in the World in their positions during their playing years.

A narrow formation from MJJ/Theon gives my players the space on the wings to create havoc and stretch his defence. With Sanchez and Solskjaer looking for chances in the box, the predatory instincts of the pair will guarantee to snatch up the chances they'll get.

MJJ

:confused:

Two brilliant teams, arrows got me a tad confused though, too many of them imo
Ignore the fullback ones as they are simple.

Rivaldo and Totti ones just show them going wide or moving forward/inside while the sammer one is him dropping deep.

Couple of points before I go to sleep.

If Skizzo plan is to stretch the pitch and cross it in, he is going to be sorely disappointed. Both Sanchez and Solksjaer werent the tallest while McGrath, Campbell, Sammer and not to forget Schmiechel will deal with the aerial balls all day with ease.

Unless Deschamps is dropping deep all the time and helping Marquinhos, I can see Skizzo struggling to contain our forwards. The movement of our front four is incredible and with the imagination of rivaldo, totti and bochini I can easily see marquinhos(who cant get a game for PSG remember) making mistakes.

If Deschamps does drop deep that leaves schuster alone in midfield against souness, totti, bochini, rivaldo and even sammer. Struggle to see how skizzo will see enough of the ball to make a difference here.

As theon already mentioned crespo is better in the air than both of his defenders and Di Livio and Rodriguez are excellent crossers of the ball.

In particular our team will have an edge from setpieces as well.

VivaJanuzaj

Rivaldo and Totti ones just show them going wide or moving forward/inside while the sammer one is him dropping deep.

If Skizzo plan is to stretch the pitch and cross it in, he is going to be sorely disappointed. Both Sanchez and Solksjaer werent the tallest while McGrath, Campbell, Sammer and not to forget Schmiechel will deal with the aerial balls all day with ease.

Unless Deschamps is dropping deep all the time and helping Marquinhos, I can see Skizzo struggling to contain our forwards. The movement of our front four is incredible and with the imagination of rivaldo, totti and bochini I can easily see marquinhos(who cant get a game for PSG remember) making mistakes.

If Deschamps does drop deep that leaves schuster alone in midfield against souness, totti, bochini, rivaldo and even sammer. Struggle to see how skizzo will see enough of the ball to make a difference here.

As theon already mentioned crespo is better in the air than both of his defenders and Di Livio and Rodriguez are excellent crossers of the ball.

In particular my team will have an edge from setpieces as well.
you can't have it both ways! If Deschamps doesn't help defense than it's 4 attackers again 4 defenders, if not, 3 of these four attackers suddenly battle against Schuster alone. I think that's just like ignoring the existence of Deschamps all together..
Points I agree on, are Crespo's aerial threat( :( ) against these defenders and your natural advantage on set pieces. That's not arguable.

Skizzo

In particular my team will have an edge from setpieces as well.
First of all...good luck MJJ. You had better luck with the arrows than i did...gave up trying to use them after a while :lol:

Now to address the points.

As far as crossing the ball in, no one said I'd be pumping high balls into the box all game...this isn't a Moyes team. Getting the pitch spread wide means gaps opening up..the ball getting put in the box with Barnes, Michel, or Schuster can be through balls, or driving the ball across low. Solskjaer and Sanchez are both predators in the box, and only need half a yard to take a chance.

As for your next point(s), I guess I'd need you to clarify....because you seem to have gone with the usual draft generic statement of my player dropping deep to contain Rivaldo, Totti, and Bochini...but then all of a sudden my other midfielder is alone against those same players elsewhere on the same pitch. My players also have legs and can run in multiple directions.

If you plan on moving Di Livio and Rodriguez up to cross the ball,that means the only wide players you have are now up the field, leaving space again for my wide players to move into. Both Barnes and Michel were capable of tracking back, and my full backs were both good offensively and defensively to provide cover, or overlap and exploit the space you'd now be leaving.

Skizzo

you can't have it both ways! If Deschamps doesn't help defense than it's 4 attackers again 4 defenders, if not, 3 of these four attackers suddenly battle against Schuster alone. I think that's just like ignoring the existence of Deschamps all together..
Points I agree on, are Crespo's aerial threat( :( ) against these defenders and your natural advantage on set pieces. That's not arguable.
Thanks for seeing that too...I addressed that comment (kind of) in my post also.

MJJ

Am not ignoring him at all. If I have the ball in Skizzo's third then deschamps will either drop deep or push up to win the ball.

If he drops deep, then schuster is alone in midfield with souness and sammer alongside him i.e. We will retain possession.

If he presses higher up to win the ball, then our team can exploit the weakness in his defense i.e. marquinhos.

Also maybe an unpopular opinion but given the level of defenders and attackers playing, I think solksjaer wont have much of an effect on the match.

MJJ

First of all...good luck MJJ. You had better luck with the arrows than i did...gave up trying to use them after a while :lol:

Now to address the points.

As far as crossing the ball in, no one said I'd be pumping high balls into the box all game...this isn't a Moyes team. Getting the pitch spread wide means gaps opening up..the ball getting put in the box with Barnes, Michel, or Schuster can be through balls, or driving the ball across low. Solskjaer and Sanchez are both predators in the box, and only need half a yard to take a chance.

As for your next point(s), I guess I'd need you to clarify....because you seem to have gone with the usual draft generic statement of my player dropping deep to contain Rivaldo, Totti, and Bochini...but then all of a sudden my other midfielder is alone against those same players elsewhere on the same pitch. My players also have legs and can run in multiple directions.

If you plan on moving Di Livio and Rodriguez up to cross the ball,that means the only wide players you have are now up the field, leaving space again for my wide players to move into. Both Barnes and Michel were capable of tracking back, and my full backs were both good offensively and defensively to provide cover, or overlap and exploit the space you'd now be leaving.
Its all theon, I wouldnt even dare trying to mess with them :lol:

Your statement was that if I play narrow then you can exploit the wider areas. If Barnes(for example) has the ball on the outside and my backfour is in position then he will either try to dribble his way through and lose possession or cross it in. The beauty of the system is that at all times I will have four defenders at the back not to mention schmiechel who was immense on one on ones.

Am not ignoring him at all. If I have the ball in Skizzo's third then deschamps will either drop deep or push up to win the ball.

If he drops deep, then schuster is alone in midfield with souness and sammer alongside him i.e. We will retain possession.

If he presses higher up to win the ball, then our team can exploit the weakness in his defense i.e. marquinhos.

Also maybe an unpopular opinion but given the level of defenders and attackers playing, I think solksjaer wont have much of an effect on the match.
Both of them wont go forward at the same time and as mentioned before sammer can and will drop deep if the need arises.

Anyway am off to sleep now for sure. Will be back in the morning.

VivaJanuzaj

Well that's bit different than what you said earlier, you talked about him being against all 4 of Totti Rivaldo etc:
If Deschamps does drop deep that leaves schuster alone in midfield against souness, totti, bochini, rivaldo and even sammer.
That's not what you're saying now. Big difference between the two

Skizzo

Will take a moment to point out that Rivaldo, Totti and Bochini are all looking to operate in a similar area of the field, or you push Rivaldo wide into areas he didn't like operating. Plus the hyperbole of "so and so will link up really well with so and so"

If we want to point out how well players will link up, Hugo Sanchez, Schuster, and Michel all have actual proven, played together and won multiple trophies chemistry. Michel is underrated, I feel, but would cause all kind of problems with his dribbling and could pick out all kinds of passes to assist. If we are talking about defenders struggling, Michel would cause Rodriguez all sorts of problems down that side.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Why has that confused you mate? Sammer/Souness is a fantastic midfield.

Every man and his dog knows how good Sammer was. So I think you're underrating Souness.
He probably was thinking about Breitner-Veron-Seedorf trio

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
He probably was thinking about Breitner-Veron-Seedorf trio
Ah right, that's his team isn't it!

Meh, on sheer numbers that midfield would be better simply because there's three of them. In terms of quality though only Breitner from that three is in the company of Sammer and Souness.

harms

Staff
Ah right, that's his team isn't it!

Meh, on sheer numbers that midfield would be better simply because there's three of them. In terms of quality though only Breitner from that three is in the company of Sammer and Souness.
I agree with you, but he certainly has a right to be confused

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I can't see past MJJ here. Great side, well suited to deal with his rival's strong points and in a good position to exploit his weak ones.

Annahnomoss

Great match up, I love it! Classic width vs a narrow formation. Skizzo will absolutely dominate the flanks with one of the very best wing-backs in history in Cabrini who was a nightmare on his own - together with Barnes against a lonely Di Livio. Then we have Rodriquez who is a couple of levels out of his league against McGrain and Michel.

Skizzo would play Sir Alex Ferguson football with a huge emphasis on attacking down the wings, and he'd cut through like a knife through butter on repeat.

Then we have MJJ/Theon, of course tactically dominating centrally and he still has players who can move out from that central area to avoid too much congestion. Souness and Sammer is a hard combination there as well and I don't think Marquinho could handle covering the through balls from Rivaldo and Totti aimed towards Crespo. MJJ/Theon would definitely hold most of the possession while Skizzo would have to rely on direct/counter attacks through the wings.

Haven't decided at all how this one will go, but it will be a high scoring affair as neither team has any solution to the opponents troubles. Solkjaer and Sanchez are perfect for an affair like this and so are Deschamps and Schuster(who was comfortable playing deeper as a defensive midfielder which I think he'd be pushed back to do here.).

The only issue I have is that the rectangle is a bit overkill as you'd achieve everything with just three men centrally in Souness-Sammer and one of Bochini/Totti/Rivaldo.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Will take a moment to point out that Rivaldo, Totti and Bochini are all looking to operate in a similar area of the field, or you push Rivaldo wide into areas he didn't like operating. Plus the hyperbole of "so and so will link up really well with so and so"
I think that's an easy criticism, but probably a touch lazy. It's like saying the diamond won't work because it doesn't have width. Or that your 4-4-2 won't work because it's outnumbered in midfield. All systems used in these drafts have been successful at the highest level, so if the players fit then these points don't have much merit IMO.

Rivaldo played in a 4-2-2-2 when Brazil reached the final of the World Cup in '98 and Totti has consistently excelled in narrow set ups for large parts if his career. One of the best Serie A teams of the last decade had Totti roaming behind a front two similar to this one.

On Rivaldo in particular - firstly he is absolutely comfortable on the left and secondly he is operating in a different area to Totti and Bochini who are both deeper. Rivaldo at his best was a second striker, deeper than a Ronaldo but more advanced than a Ronaldinho - it's how he managed to score over 20 goals a season seven years in a row, or as I wrote in the OP, 116 goals in four seasons which is near enough an average of 30 goals a year.

That's an exceptional scoring record and much higher than Bochini for instance, because he operated in a different area.

harms

Staff
I can see Gary Neville voting for Skizzo here.

Went for MJJ. If his side would work, he would dominate this game from the first minute to the last and Skizzo's guys won't touch the ball - and I can't see why it won't work. His defense would need to be strengthened in the next round, that's for sure. Tough luck for the latter, it's a great side too, just not suited to withstand this certain opponent in my opinion.

The fact that I just rewatched a couple of Brazil's 82 matches preparing for this draft probably made up my mind

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The only issue I have is that the rectangle is a bit overkill as you'd achieve everything with just three men centrally in Souness-Sammer and one of Bochini/Totti/Rivaldo.
I was thinking precisely this. Would be better off with Sammer in a back 3 and trying to counter some of the wide threats with wing backs. MJJ has dominance in the middle, but it just gets more congested whereas Skizzo would waltz through in the wide areas without much interferance.

Skizzo

I can't see past MJJ here. Great side, well suited to deal with his rival's strong points and in a good position to exploit his weak ones.
MJJ's strength is through the middle, where the majority of players will be. My strong point is the wide areas where there will be space. I have two skillful wingers who can run with the ball, and pick out a pass....and two of the best full backs at getting forward and overlapping. He has no way to deal with that at all when his full backs are probably his weakest area.

Annahnomoss

I was thinking precisely this. Would be better off with Sammer in a back 3 and trying to counter some of the wide threats with wing backs. MJJ has dominance in the middle, but it just gets more congested whereas Skizzo would waltz through in the wide areas without much interferance.
Yeah, Rivaldo and Totti won't do jack shit out there so it is basically as easy as I said. Play the ball wide, attack the full-back - success. No interference at all.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
MJJ's strength is through the middle, where the majority of players will be. My strong point is the wide areas where there will be space. I have two skillful wingers who can run with the ball, and pick out a pass....and two of the best full backs at getting forward and overlapping. He has no way to deal with that at all when his full backs are probably his weakest area.
Well on the first point, I don't think you're particularly strong in the middle at all. It's a typical, open 4-4-2 and at the back Marquinhos has one hell of a job trying to contain that attack. Deschamps would have to have the game of his life IMO.

As for the wings you can clearly isolate the fullback at times but I don't see a huge threat coming from it. If your winger tries to cut inside and run to goal there's a huge wall blocking the way in Sammer/Souness/Campbell/McGrath - every one of those is the definition of rock solid.

At times you'll isolate the fullback but it's generally going to be crosses into the box after that. Isolating Di Livio for instance (who was actually much better than you're giving him credit for) doesn't do much by itself - you have to do something when you get to that stage.

Sanchez was actually good in the air, but much like Chicharito he was only 5 ft 9 and Ole was 5 ft 10. All of Sammer/Souness/McGrath/Campbell were bigger than that and the latter two were great in the air defensively. In the '94 World Cup when McGrath was 34 years old he spent 90 minutes defending the Irish box from an Italian side (who reached the final, before losing to a Brazil team playing 4-2-2-2!) boasting the likes of Baggio in his prime - McGrath's headed clearances must have reached double digits. He was great in the air.

Then there is Schmeichel in goal of course, who absolutely dominated aerial balls into his box.

What I'm trying to say is I don't see a huge goal threat, just because at times you can get the ball wide and square up the fullback. It's a long way to goal from there. On the flip side I can see lots of routes going the other way - Bochini slipping a through ball into Crespo, Totti getting behind Deschamps and striking one from range, Rivaldo pulling out onto the left and crossing it onto Crespo's head (who is taller than either of your centre backs) for example.

antohan

I don't think you'll see much of the ball tbh, and when you do you absolutely can expect to impose yourself on the flanks but that's a great pair of CBs + Sammer dropping to cover either. You've been very unlucky with the matchup as that Schuster-Michel-Sanchez combination looks pretty awesome, but I can't see it being enough.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
There's loads to like about Skizzo's team. The Real connection, the great full backs, particularly the under-mentioned McGrain. I'm a sucker for a well-executed 4-4-2 with great wingers too. I really didn't think I'd be voting against him this early, but the McGrath/Campbell/Sammer axis is just too much for me to ignore. I can see Skizzo getting some great deliveries into the box, but McGrath in particular is just so adept at getting there ahead of the striker. 2-1 to MJJ/Theon imo.

ctp

I really like the Real connection for Skizzo, but I just can't see him getting anything from this game. Team MJJ/Theon will control the centre and the ball and they have the quality to turn it into goals. At the back, Campbell and McGrath with Sammer dropping in will deal with crosses from wide, to the point that I can't see Skizzo scoring except from a well executed couter-attack.

MJJ

Congested? In the middle he has Deschamps, marquinhos, Forster and Schuster against six players. Out wide, Skizzo once he gets pass our fullbacks(not a given) has to either cross it in for his short center forwards or try to dribble through Mcgrath, Campbell, Sammers and even Souness at times.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Congested? In the middle he has Deschamps, marquinhos, Forster and Schuster against six players.
This is what I meant. Once you have the ball, there be your front 4, his DM's and CB's all operating in roughly the same area. The arrows on Rivaldo and Totti look good, but not sure on what effect they'll actually have if they drift wide to the FB's.

antohan

I'm going to so need RioDoFI to take away a key spine player. Some great teams already there and I built one to accommodate Ljungberg only to not even have to play him :mad: