6. Shane Mosley
7. Rafael Marquez
8. Ivan Calderon
9. Ricky Hatton
10. Celestino Caballero

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Margarito denies wrong doing in Mosley fights looks to Cotto

Francisco Espinoza, co-manager of Antonio Margarito, says his fighter is still looking ahead to a June rematch with Miguel Cotto. The rematch plan was in place long before Margarito’s knockout loss to Shane Mosley last Saturday in California. Unless Top Rank has another plan, Espinoza expects for that fight to happen.

“We are interested in the fight with Cotto, but we have to see what the promoters say. If it won’t be Cotto then we will look for another opponent, but we would like to fight Cotto again,” Espinoza said to Primera Hora.

Evangelista Cotto, Miguel’s uncle and trainer, may have other plans. Cotto won a decision over Molsey in 2007 and a rematch is a good possibility. But Arum had previously said in other interviews that win or lose against Mosley, Margarito would still have a rematch with Cotto.

“A rematch with Mosley is attractive to us. When we speak with Bob Arum, we will know what is going to happen.but first we have to beat [Michael] Jennings who is a good boxer and we cannot get distracted,” Evangelista said.

Espinoza touched on the hand wraps controversy with Margarito. Last Saturday, 30-minutes before Margarito would head to the ring to fight Mosley, a “plaster-like” material was found in Margarito’s wraps by an inspector for the California State Athletic Commission. Mosley’s trainer, Nazim Richardson, saw something strange with Margarito’s wraps and asked to feel them.

“When he put the wrapping on, I asked if I could feel it and when I felt it, I was like, ‘Oh my goodness, this is too hard,’ ” Richardson said to Yahoo Sports.

“When the commission flipped the [tape] over, a little block of gauze-like plaster fell out. I said, ‘Unwrap the other hand,’ and they were saying, ‘Oh, oh, the other hand is good.’ I asked the commissioner, ‘What if I unwrap the other hand at the end of the fight and it falls out of there, too?’

Dean Lohuis, the co-interim executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, told Yahoo Sports that both pieces of the plaster-like material were slipped in underneath the legal tape that was already placed on Margarito’s hands by his trainer Javier Capetillo. Mosley’s attorney Judd Burstein had to arrive in the dressing room before a member of the commission put the pieces in a box and handed them to Lohuis.

“[Richardson] made them unwrap it. And when they unwrapped the other hand, another one fell out. It was wet with a little plaster on it.”

Margarito had to rewrap his hands three times before they were deemed legal.

Espinoza says that nobody on Margarito’s team did anything illegal and everything will be cleared up when the California commission is done with their investigation.

"We did not do anything illegal. What happened was that Capetillo prepared the gauzes that are used, two weeks before [the fight] and had them in a lump with cloth that apparently was humid and therefore hardened,” Espinoza said. “There was no substance like that there [the plaster]. The commission asked us to bandage his hands again and we did.”

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Pacquiao Thinks Hatton is One Dimensional

Manny Pacquiao, the pound for pound king, says the fighting style of Ricky Hatton is "one-dimensional." Pacquiao will face Hatton on May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. After weeks of bickering over the revenue split, both fighters have signed their contracts and the promoters expect the fight to be officially announced this week.

"[Ricky Hatton] is one-dimensional and comes right straight at you," Pacquiao was quoted as saying by the Manila Bulletin .

Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, is very confident of Pacquiao's chances to score a knockout. He told the paper that Hatton's style is tailor-made for his fighter. Roach expects Pacquiao to begin training camp at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood around the first week of March.

"His style of coming forward each time is just perfect for Manny," said Roach.

While Roach like Manny's chances, he doesn't overlook the dangerous tools that Hatton brings to the table. He will train and advise Pacquiao to stay away from the ropes and to guard against Hatton's body punches.

"Hatton’s a very good body puncher and is very dangerous. Hatton likes to go to the body and the key for Manny [to win] is his footwork. Manny should stay away from the ropes when he fights Hatton," Roach said.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Coin toss decided Klitschko-Haye

According to WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko, a coin toss by his manager made the decision as to which Klitschko would fight David Haye. When David Haye posed in a mocking photo for the UK version of Men's Health magazine, both Klitschko brothers took offense. In the photo, Haye was holding the decapitated head of younger brother Wladimir Klitschko, holder of the WBO/IBF titles.

Last month in Germany, when Haye showed the photo to Vitali in a packed restaurant, a near brawl almost broke out when Vitali, in a rage, grabbed Haye and a shoving match began. Vitali came to a verbal deal with Haye for a showdown in 2009, but Wladimir wanted revenge as well.

"The photo got to me personally. Haye the insulted and threatened the Klitschko family and for that I wanted to punish him," Vitali told writer Thomas Dierenga.

But younger brother Wladimir, who close to a deal to fight Haye on June 20 in the UK, wanted the fight. Vitali will defend against mandatory Juan Carlos Gomez on March 21 in Germany.

"It's my head that Haye held in his hands. Therefore it is also my fight," Wladimir said.

Vitali said that Bernd Boente used a coin toss to settle the issue between the brothers.

"Our manager Bernd Boente came into the office, and it was simple. We will have a coin toss. The coin flew high in the air, landed and and Wladimir was the victor," Vitali said.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
i'll be keeping an eye on him what weight is he?
just googled says he was being lined up with Nicky Appleby, also said he was a pretty crumby acyor as well :lol:

Handjob Bob

And e(r) must 8(on) this tagline
He's featherweight, weighs about the same as I did when I was in high school.

Wouldnt be surprised if his opponent doesnt change between now and then, a lot of fighters wont fight him - he loves going the distance & winning on points.

:lol: Yeah he's done some acting too, been in most of the soaps - one of his parts was Frenching Mercedes in Hollyoaks.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Following is a statement by Tim Noonan, Chairman of the California Athletic Commission, regarding Antonio Margarito:
The California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) has temporarily suspended the licenses of Antonio Margarito and his chief corner man, Javier Capetillo. The temporary suspension will remain in effect until CSAC has fully investigated the circumstances surrounding events at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on January 24, 2009. A foreign substance was found by California State Athletic Commission staff in the hand wraps of Antonio Margarito before his bout against Shane Mosley at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The substance found in Margarito’s hand wraps is currently being analyzed by the California Department of Justice. An investigation as to whether either licensee violated CSAC rules is ongoing. Mr. Margarito and Mr. Capetillo have been asked to appear at an initial hearing scheduled for February 10, 2009.”

“The licenses of Mr. Margarito and Mr. Capetillo were suspended pursuant to Business and Professions Code section 18842, which allows for the temporary suspension of a license when such an action is necessary to ‘protect the public welfare.’ CSAC Rule 323 limits the amount and type of gauze and tape allowed under a fighter’s boxing glove. Rule 390 allows CSAC to discipline a licensee when his or her actions are a “discredit to boxing” or violate the rules of CSAC.

“Commission staff will have no further comment until such time as the Commission makes a final determination of whether licensee actions in this case warrant fines, suspensions, or the revocation of licenses. The Commission has asked Mr. Margarito and Mr. Capetillo to appear at an initial hearing currently scheduled for February 10, 2009.

Leg-End

So if they find Margarito and his corner man guilty of tampering with his wraps I assume Cotto's camp cannot appeal or can they and have the fight turned into a No Contest?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Don't think its been confirmed yet but the Haye vs Klitschko fight is going to be at Stamford Bridge by all accounts

Perhaps up to 35-40,000 tickets togo on sale.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
So if they find Margarito and his corner man guilty of tampering with his wraps I assume Cotto's camp cannot appeal or can they and have the fight turned into a No Contest?
He would have to be found guilty of tampering with the wraps from that fight and seeing as the wraps were signed off by some one from the nevada state comission i think there is no way they will admit to neglegence

Don16

Annoying cnut
Don't think its been confirmed yet but the Haye vs Klitschko fight is going to be at Stamford Bridge by all accounts

Perhaps up to 35-40,000 tickets togo on sale.
Quite a surprising venue. I'll probably go to that, Haye is the only interesting boxer in the heavyweight division these days.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
yeah Klitschko is a big chelsea fan after going to the bridge as a guest of Abramovich. Im looking at tickets for the Khan Barrera fight now as my pal has said he is willing to drive to manchester to see it

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Any of you lot heard of Tyson Cave???

He's 7-0 as a pro with 6 KO's, still pretty young too.

We haven't had many exports, but the Halifax boxing scene is very historical based on civil rights and other things.

Kirk Johnson trained at the club I currently workout at, shame he fecked his career over.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
didnt know you boxed what weight are you?
how many fights you had?
I only spar mate, weekly at middleweight at the Woodside boxing club.

Rich history, now it's taken over by MMA bafoons for the most part, but TJ Grant recently got signed on to UFC so that's another notch on the historic belt.

Leg-End

When are we going to be streaming your fights CLK, I wanna see you get ktfo :)

Leg-End

Nah it would be awesome, you should have redcafe on your shorts though.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Any views on James DeGale? Another Fraudley?

Makes his professional debut in Birmingham on February 28, after getting a multi million pound deal from Warren.

Joe Calzaghe

"I feel bad about how the story has been portrayed because it’s not really what I said – or how I meant to say it – and I would like to clear things up here. What I did say, and what I believe, is that it’s very difficult for the Olympians, who become instant millionaires, to maintain the same hunger and desire as those fighters who come into the professional ranks with nothing and spend years toiling before they can afford to buy a house," Calzaghe said.

"Whoever you are, that is likely to be the case. I don’t think I’d have enjoyed a quarter of the success I have if I had been rich from day one. Some people will see it as envy, but that really isn’t the case. I was very wary of being perceived to be slagging off James, because from what I hear, he’s a very nice kid and I think he’s very talented. Also, I know that he says I am his favourite fighter, which is brilliant to hear. "

"I wish nothing but success for James and hope he fulfils his dream of becoming a champion fighter. It’s not like I was comparing him to a joker like Audley Harrison. I was merely pointing out that he has to stay focused and not become preoccupied with the TV appearances and fast cars. Can he be a world champion? It’s impossible to say really. But if he keeps his feet on the ground, he’ll go far. I would never want to be seen as someone who doesn’t want to see our young British fighters achieve all that they can."

Chris Eubank

"Stay away from sin, stay away from guests. You have to fight, you have to spar. Gifts kill your hunger. Fame kills your hunger. Girls will destroy you. Fighters who have their own way all the time, they become white elephants. The best example of this is Audley Harrison."

"I hear James DeGale is getting a £1 million. I guarantee you he will fail. It robs your hunger. I fought Michael Watson. I wanted respect. I got up to carry on because I didn't have respect."

Leg-End

Eubank is spot on, nowdays money > respect for the vast majority of fighters.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
De Gale surprised me because he wasnt a touted medalist before the Olympics a few others stole the spotlight from him. I hope he does well because the pro and amateur game is completely different.

Eubanks is right but his son could be on the same path seen him fight he is decent and he fights out of the same gym as my pal, Hove ABC. I hope he dont go down the wrong path because there was a little furor about him beating people up for camera etc a while ago.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Do you think Hatton becomes p4p #1 by beating Pacquiao? I disagree I think he goes up the list but it doesnt make him number 1. It was the same case when Tarver beat Jones, he was far from p4p#1

redwhiteblack

Do you think Hatton becomes p4p #1 by beating Pacquiao? I disagree I think he goes up the list but it doesnt make him number 1. It was the same case when Tarver beat Jones, he was far from p4p#1
i disagree also. i think (and can understand why) Hatton is approaching it from the point of view that Pac is the best p4p in the world, so if he beats him he automatically becomes the best p4p. no chance, and i'm a Hatton fan (though i'm a bigger Pac fan).

redwhiteblack

never been knocked down let alone out and i spar with light heavies/heavyweights so i guess we have to come up with something else :(
if you spar with heavies, and you're a middleweight, and you've never gone down, get better sparring partners.

unless of course, you're the reincarnation of Jake Lamotta or Marvelous Marv' (which, without meaning to offend, i highly doubt).

cj_sparky

Kell Brook looks like a real talent. All the boxing skills of Prince Naseem in a less arrogant bloke.

He won again tonight within two rounds, he is going to be some fight if he goes on like this, 19 wins now.