The Referees - Neville and Carragher

TheReligion

Abusive
Anyone watch this on Sky?

Really interesting. The pair spent a day training with the team of PL refs and had a go at making decisions. They also spoke to a number of them about keys decisions that were wrong this season like David Luiz/Fellaini at the Bridge and got their opinions.

LordNinio

Just posted about this in the newbies, was a great watch. Really highlighted just how fit the referees have to be, and how difficult a job they have.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just posted about this in the newbies, was a great watch. Really highlighted just how fit the referees have to be, and how difficult a job they have.
Agreed. I liked seeing them as people too. Some more work could really be done in that area I feel. I don't think post match interviews but certainly the detailed evaluation being released in instances perhaps.

Also G Nev is far more knowledgeable than Carra!

Strats

Sounds very interesting, anywhere to see it online?

LordNinio

Agreed. I liked seeing them as people too. Some more work could really be done in that area I feel. I don't think post match interviews but certainly the detailed evaluation being released in instances perhaps.

Also G Nev is far more knowledgeable than Carra!
Yes I agree, more programs like this, and periodical explanations of decisions made.

Like you say, this one program showed us the human side of the refs, how they feel when they make a mistake, and how they are portrayed.

I think it was good for Neville and Carragher as commentators too, perhaps all commentators should have to attend, say, once a year. A better relationship between refs and commentators, I think would help the way refs are viewed by the vans. Make us more understanding of the mistakes that will inevitably happen.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Really enjoyed it, was interesting to see the Sam Vokes handball incident reviewed.

binary bot
Amazing to me that offsides calls aren't a much bigger issue with how difficult it seems. They were only doing it with 1 vs 1 and it looked difficult, imagine an actual game with 22 players moving constantly.

TheReligion

Abusive
Really enjoyed it, was interesting to see the Sam Vokes handball incident reviewed.
I liked that too.

I didn't get the whole 'I was 90% sure David Luiz on Fellaini was a red so couldn't give it' argument though..

Surely you can't ever be 100 % about anything. That's got to be enough no?

LordNinio

Amazing to me that offsides calls aren't a much bigger issue with how difficult it seems. They were only doing it with 1 vs 1 and it looked difficult, imagine an actual game with 22 players moving constantly.
Just goes to show that in reality, they do an exceedingly good job

IrishRedDevil

A very good insight, which shows how difficult their job actually is.

They have a tough job but as fans we will always pick faults when their decisions go against our team. We just have to hope that they 'even out' over the course of a season.

Oo0AahCantona

At the end of the day they have an impossible task without technological help during the game, having interviews and stuff from them at the end of the game is pointless as the decision has already been made. They dont try to get decisions wrong its just a really hard job when your in the thick of it.

They need help, and i imagine within 20 years they will have it, until then they will continue to get crucified and teams will be robbed.

freeurmind

weak willed

Here's some of the highlights. Hopefully the full thing gets posted soon. Really interesting. I agree, referees have an impossible job, theres almost always one side unhappy. I used to be against video refereeing but after trying my hand at officiating some school level games over here and nearly getting beaten up by the schoolboys for how poor I was, I think its time it was introduced.

Hojoon

Anyone who's refereed a semi-competitive match knows it's an impossible job. It's why the complaints about refereeing are as inconsiderate as they come.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I liked that too.

I didn't get the whole 'I was 90% sure David Luiz on Fellaini was a red so couldn't give it' argument though..

You're not supposed to call a foul or deal out cards unless you're sure. You could be sure and wrong but if you don't feel sure you skip it.

ZupZup

I liked that too.

This made no sense to me either. If you're 90% sure it's a red, surely you should give a red card?

If you don't... then you're 90% sure you're making the wrong decision but going with it anyway... how is that good refereeing?

TheReligion

Abusive
This made no sense to me either. If you're 90% sure it's a red, surely you should give a red card?

If you don't... then you're 90% sure you're making the wrong decision but going with it anyway... how is that good refereeing?
Agreed. I think it's odd to ref in such a way.

klayton88

Would appreciate this being posted or sent to me via PM with a bow on it.

Thanks x

I liked that too.

Considering where the ref was standing if he wasn't 100% sure that was a red it's reason enough why he shouldn't be refereeing at that level.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Where can i find the full documentary of this? Tried YouTube, and it only has little preview videos.

Ibi Dreams

Seems like a lot or perhaps all of this is on youtube now. I just saw this excerpt of Neville and Carragher doing the referee fitness tests and it was a good watch. Both are still ultra competitive and push themselves to the max, Neville especially just absolutely won't give up.