The Road Trip Draft

Moby

Dick
The Road Trip Draft
Standard T&C:

S1 - All time draft.
S2 - Initial drafting of 12 players. Extra 2 players per Reinforcement Round, 1 before the final, with the standard inverting the draft order method.
S3 - 8 hrs per pick. Do not wait or provide extra time.
S4 - No change in picks after posting.
S5 - No substitutions. Tactical changes with in-field players only.
S6 - First 2 picks of losing team will not be available during reinforcements.

Draft Theme : A variation on the Chain Draft format where geography plays a big role. Your first pick is free to pick from every player that has ever played the sport professionally. Following that, every pick must belong to a nation (see below) that shares a CURRENT political border with the nation of his previous pick.

Definition of nationality :

• A Nation is defined as one that has or has had a national team participating in FIFA competitions (e.g. no Catalunya).
  • If a player has played for two NTs, the NT of birth applies (e.g. Di Stefano is Argentinian).
  • If a player played for a multi-nation NT (e.g. Yugoslavia), their NT is defined as that of their city of birth. This is so that there is a greater pool of nations to pick from. No debate on ethnicity or heritage will be entertained. It's a football draft, not a politics debate.
Definition of Political Borders : (This needs to be discussed)
1. Political Borders as of 22 October 2018 will be considered eligible.
2. Countries that belong to the same continent and are separated by a water body will be considered eligible as neighbours to the nation if you can draw a straight line between the two nations with only water and no land obstructing the line. On a flat map. No cleverness here, clarify openly in case of doubts and majority decides whether it holds true. Please raise doubts before the draft starts.
3. Countries that belong to different continents but share a land border will NOT be eligible neighbours. e.g. You can NOT move from a European Country to an Asian country.
Any dispute regarding this will be presented to the moderator BEFORE the pick is made and his verdict will be final.
4. In case of an overseas territory, you will still be only able to use links from the home nation as stated above, as long as they don't have their own recognised NTs.
5. The country to continent mapping is as per the FIFA allocation, here.

Draft Restrictions/Allowances:
1. You can only pick a maximum of 2 players from a nation using the above definition of which nation a player represents.
2. You will be granted one 'FREE INTERCONTINENTAL TRAVEL' or a 'FIT' pass to jump from one continent to another.
2a. You do NEED to use this to jump continents via nations that share land borders.
2b. You do NOT need to use this to jump to a country not sharing a land border within the same continent.
2c. You can only use it once for the duration of the drafting stage, and one for the duration of the knockout stage for reinforcements.

Assistant/Co Managers:
In match thread, only one of the managers is allowed to post for the duration of the match. The other manager is restricted to 3 posts or less for the duration of match thread. Make your choice and make it clear on match thread on who will lead the discussions.

It's not one at at time. It's just one for the match.

Match submissions:
More of a request. Most managers have multiple days before their matches are due to be played. Please make your submission before and do not wait for match day to make your submission and avoid last minute delays.

FAQs
Q: What about players born in countries that don’t have a national team?
A: Whichever country they represented is the one you need to travel to in order to pick them.

Q: Country X has its own team recognised national team but is politically a part of Country Y. What applies in this situation?
A: That would mean you cannot travel to that country and pick a Country Y player. You can only pick a player who has played for their own NT.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Draft Order (Un-Randomised):

1. MJJ
2. EAP
3. Moby
4. P-Nut0712
5. Don Alfredo
6. Gio
7. harms
8. Himannv
9. Indnyc
10. Jim Beam
11. Skizzo
12. Sjor Bepo
13. Enigma
14. Michaelf7777777
15. Arbitrium
16. willhse456

NO PICKS TO BE MADE TILL THE CURRENT DRAFT FINAL IS OVER.

Last edited:

Indnyc

@Moby is it possible to increase the intercontinental travel to 2?

Most people will do Europe to South America or vice versa. African players will likely miss out?

Moby

Dick
@Moby is it possible to increase the intercontinental travel to 2?

Most people will do Europe to South America or vice versa. African players will likely miss out?
You can always do Europe/SA to Africa!

Possible to add a max 5 per continent limit and allowing FIT everytime you max out a continent.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Draft Restrictions/Allowances:
1. You can only pick a maximum of 2 players from a nation using the above definition of which nation a player represents.
Can I stay in the country and pick another player in the next turn or have to travel across the border and come back?

willhse456

What happens with Russia? Do we take the football region (UEFA-therefore European)? As far as I'm aware, they haven't actually declared whether they're part of Europe or Asia.

Indnyc

What happens with Russia? Do we take the football region (UEFA-therefore European)? As far as I'm aware, they haven't actually declared whether they're part of Europe or Asia.
Russia is Europe per the country mapping in the OP

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
2. You will be granted one 'FREE INTERCONTINENTAL TRAVEL' or a 'FIT' pass to jump from one continent to another.
2a. You do NEED to use this to jump continents via nations that share land borders.
So you'll still need those countries to share a border? Or do you get a free pick to travel from Germany to, say, Brazil? I'm assuming the latter but decided to clarify.

And you can save it for reinforcements, right?

Last edited:

Indnyc

So you'll still need those countries to share a border? Or do you get a free pick to travel from Germany to, say, Brazil? I'm assuming the latter but decided to clarify.

Good question on the reinforcements.. Hopefully we get an additional one for reinforcements

Moby

Dick

That was a subset in case countries share a land border but belong to different continents as between Asia and Europe. Basically whenever jumping a continent it has to be used.

Good point about reinforcements. There will be one more FIT Pass, for the entire reinforcements up till the final.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
That was a subset in case countries share a land border but belong to different continents as between Asia and Europe. Basically whenever jumping a continent it has to be used.

Good point about reinforcements. There will be one more FIT Pass, for the entire reinforcements up till the final.
So we can only pick from 2 continents then?

Moby

Dick
So we can only pick from 2 continents then?
As of now, yes.

I have proposed an alternative of getting a 2nd pass in the event you have picked 5 players front 2 continents each. So it has to be 5 from 1 continent, then 5 from the 2nd. And NOT say 3 from 1 and 5 from the 2nd etc. That is up to everyone's vote.

But as of now, you are restricted to two continents, which is a bit generous as it's a Road Trip, not a World Trip!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
As of now, yes.

I have proposed an alternative of getting a 2nd pass in the event you have picked 5 players front 2 continents each. So it has to be 5 from 1 continent, then 5 from the 2nd. And NOT say 3 from 1 and 5 from the 2nd etc. That is up to everyone's vote.

But as of now, you are restricted to two continents, which is a bit generous as it's a Road Trip, not a World Trip!
Yeah I'm find with it just wanted to clear it up so I don't start somewhere daft and end up stuck.

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
If we do not use our FIT during the regular draft, can we use it twice during reinforcements?

Also can we use our FIT to jump to unconnected countries on the same continent?

Last edited:

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
1. Himannv
2. Jim Beam
3. Enigma
4. harms
5. P-Nut0712
6. Skizzo
7. Moby
8. willhse456
9. EAP
10. Indnyc
11. Sjor Bepo
12. MJJ
13. Gio
14. Don Alfredo
15. Michaelf7777777
16. Arbitrium

Skizzo

1. Himannv
2. Jim Beam
3. Enigma
4. harms
5. P-Nut0712
6. Skizzo/Pat
7. Moby
8. willhse456
9. EAP and his “two neighbors”
10. Indnyc
11. Sjor Bepo
12. MJJ
13. Gio
14. Don Alfredo
15. Michaelf7777777
16. Arbitrium

Moby

Dick
Where does Russia/Soviet Union fit in...Asian nation but plays in UEFA? Do we need a FIT to move to/from Russia to Europe?
Russia is under UEFA, hence Europe, as per the link in the OP.

There is no country called Soviet Union as of 22 Oct 2018. Only currently defined countries are considered.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Moby so basically if we're in say South America, the only way we can go to Europe is using the FIT pass and we can't go back to SA unless we go into reinforcement round?

Think your proposal for 2 FIT's and cap on continents would allow a bit more flexibility in a sense, without giving too much advantage (you can use it after your 10th pick from what I understand).

harms

Staff
Where does Russia/Soviet Union fit in...Asian nation but plays in UEFA? Do we need a FIT to move to/from Russia to Europe?
It's not. European part of Russia is more populated btw (I'm not even talking about the percentage of footballers that came from European part of the country).

harms

Staff
It's an Asian nation.
It makes as much sense as 19th century’s British Empire being an Asian or an American nation but hey, you’re the expert :)

And btw, if you’d said “country” instead of “nation”, I wouldn’t argue as much.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It makes as much sense as 19th century’s British Empire being an Asian or an American nation but hey, you’re the expert :)

And btw, if you’d said “country” instead of “nation”, I wouldn’t argue as much.
Be quiet, Asian :D

And curious on how you differentiate between country vs nation. I don't think Nation is a distinct legally.