The second, slightly smaller elephant in the room

Is our lack of pace and flair on the wings a serious issue?

• Yes, even MORE serious than our defensive problems

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Yes, roughly as serious as our defensive problems

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Yes, but not quite as serious as our defensive problems

Votes: 58 29.7%
  • Yes, but not nearly as serious as our defensive problems

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • No, not really

Votes: 57 29.2%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 7 3.6%

• Total voters

bishblaize

Its like saying is our lack of a sweeper concerning? No because we don't line up with one. We don't like we wingers so its not a problem.
Exactly. I don't see the problem here we're not trying to play a formation with lots of width hence we don't see it.

I'd say having such an immobile centre forward is more of a problem.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Exactly. I don't see the problem here we're not trying to play a formation with lots of width hence we don't see it.

I'd say having such an immobile centre forward is more of a problem.
Yup, having Falcao in place of RVP would make a world or difference.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
One of the greediest and most selfish players I have ever seen in the flesh. The further away from United he can be, the better. We don't need him.
I think he is greedy because he wants to prove himself at Bayern, just like Januzaj wanted this season, but he would add so much pace, penetration, explosivity, goal scoring ability to this dire side.

Sparky Rhiwabon

So we all know that our defence is the elephant in the room.
I think that the real elephant in the room is that you don't know what "elephant in the room" means. Our defence can't be an elephant in the room as everybody is openly talking about it.

English definition of “an elephant in the room”
an elephant in the room
informal
› If you say there is an elephant in the room, you mean that there is an obvious problem or difficult situation that people do not want to talk about.

Minimalist

I see it part of a confidence issue and possibly a 'pragmatic' approach also. We have players who can 'beat a man' and have 'pace' to do it but they make the decision not to (more often than not.)

Mad Winger

I think that the real elephant in the room is that you don't know what "elephant in the room" means. Our defence can't be an elephant in the room as everybody is openly talking about it.
Ah sorry, English is not my first language. I always thought that "an elephant in the room" is a big, obvious problem that needs to be addressed. I didn't know that ignoring the problem was a part of it:lol:

Sparky Rhiwabon

Ah sorry, English is not my first language. I always thought that "an elephant in the room" is a big, obvious problem that needs to be addressed. I didn't know that ignoring the problem was a part of it:lol:
Sorry, I didn't realise that English is not your first language, you are doing pretty well with it then!

Micha

I think Rafael and Shaw can offer that pace on the wings.
Yep. I think wingers are only a second or third option in van Gaal's gameplan, so it is not a priority. If need be, we have some players we can throw in there.

The-Natural

The lack of pace is without doubt the most significant issue in our team and ultimately will be the most expensive problem to remedy. Carrick, Fellaini, RVP, Rooney and Mata give us a spine that is so slow.

Gerald G

Di Maria and Januzaj are fine but if we are to go with the 4-3-3 we would need another winger. Reus next summer maybe? Depay?

Let us get our defence sorted first then look at areas which can be improved.

facund

Let's be honest the problem can't be pace alone otherwise we would all be advocates of pushing Valencia further forward when Rafael returns. He certainly has pace that is for sure.

The lack of movement in the final third has still not been fully addressed by LVG. Falcao offers some of the answers if he can ever get fully fit, Welbeck would have been a good foil for some of our less dynamic players as well. Mata, RVP and Rooney are all good at crafty movement to forge half a yard for themselves (RVP is actually fantastic at this on his day) but none of them are great at the kind of selfless runs that appear pointless but actually create space for everyone else to exploit by dragging the opposition out of shape and causing confusion as to who is marking who. Falcao isn't the answer but is the best of the bunch IMO.

Its the number 10 role or second striker that should be drifting and causing this uncertainty. Mata and Rooney are a bit too predictable and linear when utilised for this purpose.

caid

Tbh I dont think the wings would even be my second priority.

I think the balance of our midfield is still off.
The only players i'd consider nailed on starters for us for a couple of seasons at this point
are rooney and di maria and while van gaal is around i'd expect rooney to be playing in midfield.
First it creates a problem in that how do you fit in wingers with them two
(Di Maria can play on the wing but hes better starting in other positions).
And it means having a bit of a strange midfield shape really imo because 1 DM isn't enough to cover them 2 as good as they are defensively (for what they offer going forward).

I like herrera a lot ... but hes going to need to adjust his game quite a bit to give the balance needed to that midfield.
Hes probably been my favourite of our new signings and im pretty dissapointed to see him out of the team
But its early days for him and he'll be brilliant cover if nothing else and i cant argue with the logic of dropping him atm.

Januzaj could develop into the winger we use when we need some width.
Its his second season and they always seem to be pretty rough on young players so im not really expecting huge things from his this season but still.
Hes an option.