Television The Shield

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
In the spirit of not bumping old threads, I'd like to ask: is The Shield worth a watch?

I'm not expecting it to be as good as The Wire or Sopranos, but apparently it's a very good show and some may even prefer it to the former two. So I'm intrigued.

Worth a watch?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
In the spirit of not bumping old threads, I'd like to ask: is The Shield worth a watch?

I'm not expecting it to be as good as The Wire or Sopranos, but apparently it's a very good show and some may even prefer it to the former two. So I'm intrigued.

Worth a watch?
Absolutely worth a watch. I watched it years ago and loved it, my Mrs had never seen it so we started watching it on Prime a couple of months back and on s6 now. It’s a little dated now but still immensely watchable, the characters are great.

sugar_kane

Worth a watch?
Just recently finished it and really enjoyed it but anyone saying it’s better than The Sopranos is trying too hard.

I’ll accept The Wire as it’s not got the same sort of universal appeal as The Sopranos despite being a work of genius.

It reminded me the most of Breaking Bad as it’s a bit OTT at times but has excellent characters and storylines.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's absolute bollocks delivered with such intensity that you get swept along. Nowhere near the quality of The Wire or The Sopranos but if you find the thought of a wired and bug-eyed Phil Mitchell ragging it around LA in a shitty mood for 7 seasons appealing, you should probably go for it.

It’s a brilliant show.

it may not be up with the very best of shows like The Sopranos or Breaking Bad - but it’s better than 99% of TV over the past 25 years.

unlike many shows, it’s also got a great ending.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It’s a brilliant show.

it may not be up with the very best of shows like The Sopranos or Breaking Bad - but it’s better than 99% of TV over the past 25 years.

unlike many shows, it’s also got a great ending.
Very true. For all its flaws, it's got one of the best final episodes ever. Brilliant.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think for a show that mostly relies on action and fast paced suspense it's actually really well written. It won't hold up to a slow paced drama of course, but I think it's pretty much the best in its genre.

Oldyella

It's ridiculous but can be entertaining with it. Brilliant ending too.

AaronRedDevil

Watched it all last year. Bloody brilliant. It's one of those shows you are watching because of the main character. Plus it's probably the one of the few HBO shows that has a ending that makes sense.

acnumber9

I couldn’t get past the horrendous acting of much of the cast. Almost dragged down Walton Goggins.

lsd

The Oracle

Worth a watch?

It's the kid version of the Wire. Some people will prefer it as you don't have to think to watch it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's really good.

It's the kid version of the Wire. Some people will prefer it as you don't have to think to watch it.
That's not really fair, IMO. Obviously it's nowhere near the quality of The Wire (nothing is), but it's got some shades of grey in it. I wouldn't really compare it with The Wire in the first place, though, since you generally just get the police side of things.

Also:

Sylar

The ending is great. Its got some fantastic performances through out. Thought Whitaker was great

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So I've watched it. Y'all weren't kidding. It's a pretty wild show though it really picked up in the latter couple of seasons. First 3-4 seasons were interesting but nothing special.

Season 5 with Forest Whittaker is where the show really becomes incredible TV.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Realized I had never watched this before a few weeks ago.

I’m halfway through the second season & it is quite engaging.

Herman Toothrot

I think I remember it being good then not good but was very good when it was good. I'd like to revisit that era of TV. Recently rewatched Deadwood and still superb, I imagine 24 has not aged well.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Halfway thru season 3, seems to be on an ascent in quality.

Anyone have an opinion on which seasons were the best / worst?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Halfway thru season 3, seems to be on an ascent in quality.

Anyone have an opinion on which seasons were the best / worst?
Season 5 is the best in my opinion. Overall I'd say seasons 5-7 are the best. Contrary to other shows, in this one the last seasons are actually the best.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Been waiting for this to be available on any UK streaming shows for a while, but no success. Sounds like a highly rated show I missed and I'm rearing to go on it

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Pure class! One of the best shows of all time. The theme song is horrible though. The worst ever in a great show.

Oh my god, someone who agrees. Theme song is really awful and often I had to turn my volume down too.

Oldyella

I think I remember it being good then not good but was very good when it was good. I'd like to revisit that era of TV. Recently rewatched Deadwood and still superb, I imagine 24 has not aged well.
Deadwood has aged really well. Think it's as good as any of the usual GOATs mentioned.

Selbourne

Been waiting for this to be available on any UK streaming shows for a while, but no success. Sounds like a highly rated show I missed and I'm rearing to go on it
I'm in the same boat. Feels like over a year now where i've been checking for it to become available, but no luck.

Currently watching 24 and upto season 4 and finding it very addicting tbf.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I’m actually rewatching 24 at the moment and it’s still the best show that’s ever been on TV.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Get Hulu for a month or two. I’m going to watch Justified on it after I am done with The Shield.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I’m actually rewatching 24 at the moment and it’s still the best show that’s ever been on TV.
I think I only ever watched S1 which was dead exciting if I remember right. Loved it but never continued for some reason. Will dig this out and give it a crack.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Get Hulu for a month or two. I’m going to watch Justified on it after I am done with The Shield.
Mate, so many subscriptions I feel like a servant to the sub world if I do so! Just will be patient and wait until it hopefully comes onto one of the providers I have, but thanks for the suggestion nonetheless