The shocking decline of Trent Alexander Arnold

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He’s so good on the ball it seems stupid to not just give him whatever protection he needs, he’s like Liverpools only creator

he should follow through on the Real Madrid rumours, Valverde is pretty much the perfect player to give him the support he needs
I think his creativity is somewhat overplayed in that it's quite limited to long balls and shots from distance - which he's good at, don't get me wrong. I don't think he's creative in the way a traidtionally "creative" CM would be - when you pair that to his positional deficiencies and his unimpressive workrate, not sure it's sustainable over a season.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think he might go in the summer. One year left, he's won things at Liverpool and doesn't have anything left to prove there. If Madrid want him then I think he'll ask to go. Gives him the chance to win far more than what he could with us. Madrid guarantees trophies.

Hammondo

I think he might go in the summer. One year left, he's won things at Liverpool and doesn't have anything left to prove there. If Madrid want him then I think he'll ask to go. Gives him the chance to win far more than what he could with us. Madrid guarantees trophies.
What makes you think they would be interested?

MegadrivePerson

Where would he play for Madrid?

Hammondo

Why wouldn't they be? On the ball he's one of the most talented players around in terms of passing ability.

No idea, but I'd be surprised if they weren't interested.
He's just not that good though. There was a good analysis video of him done a while ago showing he fails quite a lot of his long balls, and the ones that succeed are all of the same type, his passing is quite limited overall. Not to mention his crap defending.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
You truly believe TAA is one of the best passers in the game currently?
I think he's a very good passer and is clearly a very good player. He's lazy with his defending and hasn't been coached well in 1v1's, but this idea that he's a rubbish or average player is over the top.

What do you think about TAA? Rubbish player, average, good but not great?

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
The media seem to treat English Liverpool players in a similar way.

Trent gets fawned over for passing yet he fires hundreds of long balls until one lands. Gerrard loved a Hollywood pass attempt too. The continuous barrage of failed passes go unnoticed and when one lands, the likes of Neville and Carragher drool over it.

Trent has good ability on the ball but it’s not the best in the league.

79% pass rate is good.
32% successful cross rate is okay.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think he's a very good passer and is clearly a very good player. He's lazy with his defending and hasn't been coached well in 1v1's, but this idea that he's a rubbish or average player is over the top.

What do you think about TAA? Rubbish player, average, good but not great?
I don't think he's rubbish or average. I think he's a very difficult player to evaluate because he's got some areas of his game that are very good but some seriously glaring issues in some basic components of the position - his positional awareness is genuinely poor, he has quite little tenacity, is not good 1v1, has a tendency to switch off, and honestly overall just comes across as quite lazy.

With regards to the debate about him being in CM and being a great passer - I definitely think he's miles off being one of the best passers of the game. He has little range to his passing, the only area that you'd say he's good at is his long passing and even that isn't as good as is sometimes made out, as @Hammondo pointed out. That anyone could believe he's "One of the most talented players around in terms of passing ability" is crazy to me honestly, there's so much to "passing" that I don't understand how that claim could be made - I'm not being funny or anything, I'm just genuinely baffled.

I believe overall he's a hard player to rate honestly, he's a bit of an unusual hybrid which has led to extremes in his evaluation. He can go from looking world class when everything is going his way and the team is super dominant, to Sunday league level. I also think he requires a lot of accommodating to get the best out of him, and I don't think his best is really worth that effort. I also don't believe he could actually play CM in the long term, as his starting position. He lacks too many tools to be useful. I'd also say he seems to lack top mentality which is a bit of an issue.

So I guess I'd go with "good but not great", but it's not even that straightforward. He's just a bit of a weird oddity.

About as weird as the crazy good press he gets, in my mind.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I don't rate him. Kyle Walker, and Reece James (injuries permitting) are better than him. Walker has been the best RB in the league over the last 6-7 years.

Mike Smalling

He's clearly a gifted player that can be great in the right set-up, and when a team is functioning well. When the team is not firing, and when the midfield can't cover for him, he might cost you a goal or he might get you one. He becomes a lot less reliable, when he's "on his own".

The next Liverpool manager will have to figure out how to utilize him in the best way possible, because I don't think he will suddenly become a reliable defender.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The media seem to treat English Liverpool players in a similar way.

Trent gets fawned over for passing yet he fires hundreds of long balls until one lands. Gerrard loved a Hollywood pass attempt too. The continuous barrage of failed passes go unnoticed and when one lands, the likes of Neville and Carragher drool over it.

Trent has good ability on the ball but it’s not the best in the league.

79% pass rate is good.
32% successful cross rate is okay.
Not sure how helpful the stats are. I mean De Bruyne has 73% success rate which puts him in the 'worst' 10% of midfielders. But to me both are arguably the best or thereabouts mid-to-long range passers in the league.

Hammondo

Not sure how helpful the stats are. I mean De Bruyne has 73% success rate which puts him in the 'worst' 10% of midfielders. But to me both are arguably the best or thereabouts mid-to-long range passers in the league.
It is a little strange with this stat because I see FBREF give him 73%, but I also see Footystats, statmuse, and whoscored give him 83%. I do not know if FBREF are better or worse than the other 3.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I don't rate him. Kyle Walker, and Reece James (injuries permitting) are better than him. Walker has been the best RB in the league over the last 6-7 years.
Walker for me has been one of the best players in the league for ages. He’s ridiculously capable and consistent.

TAA is basically a RB version of Charlie Adam.

Steve Bruce

Walker for me has been one of the best players in the league for ages. He’s ridiculously capable and consistent.

TAA is basically a RB version of Charlie Adam.
Walker is underrated.

He gets criticised for being quick and you hear people say he's an average player with world class pace.

The fact is he's got that attribute and it makes him a brilliant FB

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Ben White not getting the love but he is a much better and much more well-rounded RB than Trent. He contributes well going forward, but is miles better as a defender.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think he's rubbish or average. I think he's a very difficult player to evaluate because he's got some areas of his game that are very good but some seriously glaring issues in some basic components of the position - his positional awareness is genuinely poor, he has quite little tenacity, is not good 1v1, has a tendency to switch off, and honestly overall just comes across as quite lazy.

With regards to the debate about him being in CM and being a great passer - I definitely think he's miles off being one of the best passers of the game. He has little range to his passing, the only area that you'd say he's good at is his long passing and even that isn't as good as is sometimes made out, as @Hammondo pointed out. That anyone could believe he's "One of the most talented players around in terms of passing ability" is crazy to me honestly, there's so much to "passing" that I don't understand how that claim could be made - I'm not being funny or anything, I'm just genuinely baffled.

I believe overall he's a hard player to rate honestly, he's a bit of an unusual hybrid which has led to extremes in his evaluation. He can go from looking world class when everything is going his way and the team is super dominant, to Sunday league level. I also think he requires a lot of accommodating to get the best out of him, and I don't think his best is really worth that effort. I also don't believe he could actually play CM in the long term, as his starting position. He lacks too many tools to be useful. I'd also say he seems to lack top mentality which is a bit of an issue.

So I guess I'd go with "good but not great", but it's not even that straightforward. He's just a bit of a weird oddity.

About as weird as the crazy good press he gets, in my mind.
Your post is far too concise and logical for me to offer a counter. Please try harder so that I may respond.

But yeah that's all fair. Defensively he has two major issues for me. One is his attitude which is nothing short of lazy at times. We saw it against Everton. Sometimes he can't be bothered, gets dribbled past and kind of gives up.

The other is what you point out in the first part of your post. Positionally (especially in 1v1's) he's awful. Makes it easy for the opponent to dribble past him.

I do think his delivery and ability on the ball is at a very high level.