The signing of the 12/13 season...

Cina

Uh, you realize your stats are backing up what I said, right?

Let's not forget Michu was signed by Laudrup, who was in his very first season at the club, and to do better than the previous manager did, especially after losing some of last seasons best players, is pretty damn impressive, and Michu had a lot to do with that.

We would've won the league, for sure, just not with 8 games left.

Oggmonster

So because Swansea can't spend as much money as us on players, that justifies the difference of 2m and 24m being taken completely out of the equation?

When I think of signing of the season, I think of inspired signings, or ones that came from nowhere and had everyone going "who the hell is this?". That's Michu, he cost bugger all, he turned out to be excellent and helped Swansea completely overachieve. We knew exactly what we were getting from RvP for the money we paid to get him, there was nothing really inspired or out there about it, it really was a case of "get him, win the league".
Well no but you can turn it around and say because we can afford to spend 24million pound does that mean our players should not be considered for being classed as a signing of the season? My point is that by judging a signing by a price tag that they didn't ask it's a bit unfair. Surely you judge the signing on their impact and ability, how useful they've been in games etc? I'd say Van Persie has been the second best player in the league this season behind Suarez and as Suarez wasn't a new signing I'd say the signing of the season is Van Persie.

Maybe it's just how people judge players, I'd say regardless of the fact van Persie was used to the league he was still hugely important. I don't think you can make statements where we knew exactly we'd get from RVP either really, he might not of suited our style ofp lay, it's the same league but a new team and he still settled straight away which is impressive.

I'm not doubting the likes of Michu who is a good player, I just think as signings go RVP was a far better one.

Cina

Well no but you can turn it around and say because we can afford to spend 24million pound does that mean our players should not be considered for being classed as a signing of the season? My point is that by judging a signing by a price tag that they didn't ask it's a bit unfair. Surely you judge the signing on their impact and ability, how useful they've been in games etc? I'd say Van Persie has been the second best player in the league this season behind Suarez and as Suarez wasn't a new signing I'd say the signing of the season is Van Persie.

Maybe it's just how people judge players, I'd say regardless of the fact van Persie was used to the league he was still hugely important. I don't think you can make statements where we knew exactly we'd get from RVP either really, he might not of suited our style ofp lay, it's the same league but a new team and he still settled straight away which is impressive.

I'm not doubting the likes of Michu who is a good player, I just think as signings go RVP was a far better one.
Well I disagree, obviously, Michu was an amazing signing, taking everything into account. RvP is an amazing player but a pretty obvious signing for a club like ours. Also, we've made plenty of great bargain signings, Hernandez, Vidic, Evra, etc. The stature of the club and the money they have to spend should have nothing to do with it really, every club is capable of pulling off signings like that.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Uh, you realize your stats are backing up what I said, right?

Let's not forget Michu was signed by Laudrup, who was in his very first season at the club, and to do better than the previous manager did, especially after losing some of last seasons best players, is pretty damn impressive, and Michu had a lot to do with that.

We would've won the league, for sure, just not with 8 games left.
I mentioned he had a great season. He is one of the signings of the season, just not "The" signing of the season, in my opinion.

The stats highlighted that in the league they are in a similar position as last year and Michu hasn't catapulted them to greater heights. They lost players but also signed some good players. The manager I think is better than who they had last year. Michu has reaped the rewards of that.

I am not sure how can you be so confident that we would have won the league. Our main goal scorer last term has had a pretty woeful season and the wing play has been worse than at any time in my life. Anyways, the topic is subjective and we can go all day at it, if wanted to.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Signing of the season doesn't mean player of the season and on pure value it's Michu...simple as that. It's not even a debate.

RVP cost £24m and came in as the best player in the league. Michu cost a fraction of that and no one knew who he was. He's shone in a season where Swansea look to have cemented a top 10 place, won their first major trophy and scored over 20 goals. For £2m (?) that is unbelievable.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
yeah I agree with Michu. He's been better than Torres who cost £48 million more.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Benteke for me. Love watching the guy play. He's a monster. He's so young, and he's scored an incredible amount of goals for a team who are very, very poor. Without him, Villa are guaranteed to have been relegated, I reckon.

If he becomes the focal point of the attack of a better team next season, he's going to be difficult to stop. He's got a bit of Drogba about him, without all the diving. Just a powerhouse, but with plenty of ability to go with it. At his age, you expect him to get better. If Villa keep him and he has another 20 goal season for them, there's no reason why Villa wouldn't try to command around £30million for him.

For me, he just shades Michu. There's not much in it, but from a personal point of view, I just prefer watching Benteke. It's alarming how complete his abilities look already for his age.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Would give it to Benteke. I'd say what he did for Villa is more important than what RVP did for United (if you claim he was the reason they won the league). Without Benteke, Villa would have been long gone.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Would give it to Benteke. I'd say what he did for Villa is more important than what RVP did for United (if you claim he was the reason they won the league). Without Benteke, Villa would have been long gone.
Spot on. Other 2 contenders are RVP and Michu as you say. But take both of them out and I reckon United would still have won the league and also Swansea would have been in mid/low table. Take Benteke out of Villa and they would have been down there with Reading IMO

Comsmit

Michu easily....when you look at cost vs. reward. He has scored big goals for Swansea aswell, Carling Cup etc. Scored twice against United too.

Could have been a tricky season for Laudrup but this guy has made his life much easier.

Revan

Assumptionman
For me, Michu easily was signing of the season. Considering what he has done and his price, there can't be another winner.

starman

Michu then Benteke.

Both have been far more important to their teams then Van Persie has to us IMO, maybe a litte controversial, I know. But I think we would have won it without him tbh, just not as emphatically.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Best: Michu. Just a fantastic player for the money.

Worst: Samba. Ludicrous decision.

Man-United

No question about it really, it's RvP.

He was a big reason for us to win the title so of course he's the signing of the season.

gza the genius

Michu was definitely the more difficult to spot signing, RvP was obvious but he still helped to shape the league table more than Michu did. The fact that we got RvP over City might edge it in his favor, if he had went to City there's a decent chance they would've won it again.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Michu's and van Persie's form dipped at some stage in the season.

That's why I've picked Benteke.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
And Benteke kept putting in the performances during a relentlessly high pressure campaign for Villa.

If cautious minded pundits had had their way Lambert would have been starting Darren Bent all season and they may well have gone down as a result.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I reckon Michu will be a one-season wonder.
I don't think he will. He was already good at Rayo before he came, they signed him on the back of an excellent season there. He's a very simple player really, he doesn't do many things particularly well but he's very effective, quite strong and intelligent.

Villa will make a tidy profit on Benteke (they've signed him for just £6.5m), Swansea will find Michu very useful in Europe next season and we'll get another 3-4 seasons out of van Persie before he moves into a less vital role here.

Oldham

RVP, Benteke, Michu, Cazorla, Vertonghen, Dembele, Hazard.

Hard to pick, all been very good.

finneh

Benteke. Not just his phenomenal goal scoring record, but he has been consistently central to absolute every positive thing for Villa this season.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
RVP, Benteke, Michu, Cazorla, Vertonghen, Dembele, Hazard.

Hard to pick, all been very good.
Indeed. It seems like every club in Premier League managed to get a very good transfer in this season. Even City in spite of all the shite they bought managed to bring in a fine defender for a good fee (Nastasic).

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Indeed. It seems like every club in Premier League managed to get a very good transfer in this season. Even City in spite of all the shite they bought managed to bring in a fine defender for a good fee (Nastasic).
Liverpool had to wait until January though :lol:

Coutinho looks pretty exciting to be fair however.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not sure how anyone can pick RvP. He cost a bomb, has massive wages and was already regarded at the best player in the league. There may as well have been a tattoo on his face saying "I'll win you the league".

Definitely Michu.
There's a difference between the best signing of the season and the key signing of the season. Michu was the best signing as he was the best value for money. RvP was the key signing as his transfer had the biggest impact on the PL.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah Im not trying to be biased towards United here but RVP essentially won us a league title. Signing of the season IMO. Golden boot and title winner in his first season with the club. £30m-ish is nothing when you consider the achievements
£24m

Liam147

On Probation
Would it really make that much of a difference if RVP cost £50m? Or if Michu cost £20m?

In terms of value for money, Michu's probably the best signing.

The actual best signing of the season is Robin van Persie, and it's not even up for debate.

NotoriousISSY

So those saying RVP...had we finished second to City on GD this season and RVP had the same season would he still be signing of the season or is the motivation of signing of the season the fact he was the catalyst for winning the league?

Considering 2 or 3 teams compete for the title and year on year it's earmarked to the new breath of fresh air signing (with us in the past, Carrick, Tevez, Hernandez, Stam, Yorke, Cantona etc etc)...that essentially rules out the other 17 clubs from having the 'signing of the season' because while their squad improves they don't win the league? Seems ridiculous to me. IMO the concept should be based on both impact and value, Swansea are up two places, qualified for the Europa League and won the league cup largely thanks to Michu's goals. The stature of the club has gone through the roof for them, and he has arguably been the catalyst for it.

No slight on RVP he's been magnificent but given the small margins last season, I don't consider him the signing of the season, with the money he's earning, the fee and his reputation he's done what I would've expected. Michu comes in for a couple of million into a new league at a club who could've easily suffered some 'second season' syndrome, especially after losing Allen and Sinclair. Unfair to pin signing on the season just because of his in a title winning team because most believe we should always win the league anyway?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Very Doubtful we would have won the league without RvP as he would have joined City instead. Add 25 league goals to their campaign this year and they are more than likely strolling to it like we did.

NotoriousISSY

Very Doubtful we would have won the league without RvP as he would have joined City instead. Add 25 league goals to their campaign this year and they are more than likely strolling to it like we did.
There is very little evidence to suggest he had any thoughts of going there. I'm not saying it wasn't a possibility but from the way he's spoken, it sounds very much like this was the only place he wanted to be. So I think it's quite naive to assume he would've been there and we would've been left weeping about 2nd place.

Not to mention the fact that his arrival clearly had an impact on the performance of the other forwards who arguably could've had more game time and more consistency without him here.

Liam147

On Probation
So those saying RVP...had we finished second to City on GD this season and RVP had the same season would he still be signing of the season or is the motivation of signing of the season the fact he was the catalyst for winning the league?
Odd comparison. If we hadn't won the league, you can assume van Persie didn't play as well. The fact that we have won the league (and by a huge margin) is in part down to his performances.

It's a simple question: Of all the signings made this year, who was the best?

If you want to talk about VFM then it's a different debate.