The Spectator

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
As we’ve got a Guardian thread it’s probably worth having one mocking the other end of the spectrum.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Had to read the tweet multiple times to be sure I read it right. Brain dead take.

Jericholyte2

As we’ve got a Guardian thread it’s probably worth having one mocking the other end of the spectrum.

The problem with this is that the click-batty headline is that people won’t actually read the article, just yell at the headline. Whilst I think he could have done with a smaller word-count to avoid any embarrassing embellishments, he does make a certain valid point.

In much the same way no child chooses to be born, a child is often put on to the Etonian enrolment before birth, in the system of “Your father was an Etonian, as was your father’s father and your father’s father’s father”. When you compare that to things like being racist, homophobic or misogynistic, then yes, there is a lack of ‘agency’ at play - being racist, homophobic or misogynistic is an active character trait whereas the schooling is often pre-ordained.

To e clear hear, in now way do I agree with him that it’s in any way comparable to being a racist (and The Soectator is a vile excuse for a ‘news’ magazine) but as is often the case with any argument, it’s never quite a simple, clear-cut answer.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The problem with this is that the click-batty headline is that people won’t actually read the article, just yell at the headline. Whilst I think he could have done with a smaller word-count to avoid any embarrassing embellishments, he does make a certain valid point.

In much the same way no child chooses to be born, a child is often put on to the Etonian enrolment before birth, in the system of “Your father was an Etonian, as was your father’s father and your father’s father’s father”. When you compare that to things like being racist, homophobic or misogynistic, then yes, there is a lack of ‘agency’ at play - being racist, homophobic or misogynistic is an active character trait whereas the schooling is often pre-ordained.

To e clear hear, in now way do I agree with him that it’s in any way comparable to being a racist (and The Soectator is a vile excuse for a ‘news’ magazine) but as is often the case with any argument, it’s never quite a simple, clear-cut answer.
How prevalent is someone abusing someone based on them going to Eton?

Jericholyte2

How prevalent is someone abusing someone based on them going to Eton?
I'm in no way saying that it's comparable and it was one of my main points, that the comparisons to racial / sexual orientation / gender discrimination are (at best) ill-advised, but when there is a lack of agency involved in being enrolled to a school like Eton (and the related pathways that brings) there is a stereotyping going on.

I would also note that a prejudice is still a prejudice now matter how prevalent it is.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Problem with this is that the articles are behind a paywall unlike The Guardian.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I feel like systemic "racism" towards people who go to Eton might just be one of the silliest concepts I've ever considered. :lol:

Still, it doesn't surprise me much, I went to a private school and the headmaster was always whingeing on about how unfair it was that some state school kids with worse grades would get picked for Oxbridge over his students. I didn't really know or care the truth of what he was saying at the time but really he was far too old and well educated to not understand it. So either he was an arrogant ego fuelled prick or he was just playing to the parents. Probably a bit of both tbf.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I feel like systemic "racism" towards people who go to Eton might just be one of the silliest concepts I've ever considered. :lol:

Still, it doesn't surprise me much, I went to a private school and the headmaster was always whingeing on about how unfair it was that some state school kids with worse grades would get picked for Oxbridge over his students. I didn't really know or care the truth of what he was saying at the time but really he was far too old and well educated to not understand it. So either he was an arrogant ego fuelled prick or he was just playing to the parents. Probably a bit of both tbf.
I found the article rather tounge-in-cheek

Wilt

Angela “scum” Reyner. She‘s the gift that keeps on giving. Tories don’t want her to apologise …they want her to be Labour leader.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I'm in no way saying that it's comparable and it was one of my main points, that the comparisons to racial / sexual orientation / gender discrimination are (at best) ill-advised, but when there is a lack of agency involved in being enrolled to a school like Eton (and the related pathways that brings) there is a stereotyping going on.

I would also note that a prejudice is still a prejudice now matter how prevalent it is.
I take your point, and hope you can forgive me for my intolerance of the POV positioned by the Spectator. I just find it incredibly tiring that the right tend to invoke these culture wars by creating a problem out of nothing that mirrors and parodies actual real world problems that the left try and tackle. For example, they're trying to get the words 'Gammon' and 'Karen' considered offensive. It's just a culture war led by the right which demeans real issues (in this case prejudice).

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If it wasn't for what the morals of The Spectator are, it would be admirable how resolute they are in them.

They genuinely don't give a shit what the commoners think and will just plough on with 'she may be an underage sex trafficker but she's fun at parties and that's what counts'.